• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2 piece nsx rotors for oem calipers

Dear Hrant

I am indeed using the bigger rotors front and rear and have noticed no probelms in brake bias and I still am using the factory ABS setup. I am using the original calipers on my 92 and yes they are slightly heavier than an aluminum caliper but they have been trouble free and I do use high temp grease after every race on the slide pins..a five minute job at most. One of the problems I have always noticed in my years of repairing, modifying and racing automobiles is that many people tend to overcomplicate things by replacing unnecessary parts. I like the look performance and PRICE of the original caliper..plus it has that great NSX logo already on it!

VintageracerNYC said:
yes I do on my country house computer

If you post pictures it will cost me a lot of money you know :wink:

"I just have to get me one of those" :biggrin:

Regards

Hi, this is Warren from RacingBrake. We just learned yesterday that our ocean shipment containing the components needed for BBK just released by customs and we should be able to ship the orders early next week. We apologize for the delay and really appreciate your interest and patience.

Our development of these upgraded kits for NSX (OE kit for older model and BBK for both new and old) is a typical example of our company philosophy in developing brake upgrades.

1. We listen to customers’ need and come out with a sound solution.
2. We think a good brake should be affordable.
3. We know customers want easy installation so we work harder to make the kit easier to install especially most of us are DIY. No confusing piece parts, expensive larger wheel or spacers to buy.
4. We build a well-engineered brake system that would meet customers’ satisfaction in performance as well as the look.

RB probably makes more variety of brake upgrades than any competitions i.e. from one piece to two piece stock replacement rotors, to OE and aluminum caliper kits. However based on our experiment and other racers’ experience, we can conclude the most essential components for a well performed brake are rotor and pad; although quite a few companies promoting expensive aluminum caliper kits which we also make, but from Grand AM Cup racers (use our two piece stock size rotors and stock caliper) and VintageracerNYC’s witness we can observe that an OE caliper can outperform (stronger brake torque) than those expensive aluminum caliper kits due to OE caliper and bracket are made of ductile iron which is stiffer than aluminum especially at elevated temperature.

Although we are relatively new to NSX community comparing to those big names but we have extensive knowledge and experience in brake technology including three patents granted by US Patent Office on brake designs. We will continue to work hard and serve our customers to earn your trust.

Thank you.
www.racingbrake.com

Over the weekend we installed RB's OE caliper big brake kit, front and rear, under my 18/19 wheels.
Except for the need to trim my front brake pad retainers and grind my front calipers to clear the 324mm rotors, the installation was straight-forward.
While testing on the street, I was unable to note any performance difference compared to OEM, but I sure love the look of this product overall!

brakes.jpg

Last edited:
I can't wait to install mine. The courier company just called to tell me that it will be delivered tomorrow.

RB state on its website that both edges of the front caliper may have to be ground off about 1-2mm (0.06”) to clear the rotor.

KKT - was it difficult to ground off your caliper? Will it damage of affect the performance of the caliper? Is grounding off necessary for all front calipers?

kkt said:
I sure love the look overall!

brakes.jpg
WOW!:eek: I love it too, that is work of art. Please post more pics of your NSX in your own thread, look like you got seats too.

The new rotors filled the 18/19 wheels nicely, looks amazing.

nsxinkl said:
KKT - was it difficult to ground off your caliper? Will it damage of affect the performance of the caliper? Is grounding off necessary for all front calipers?
Grinding the calipers was not difficult. In regard to performance, maybe others with more braking expertise than myself can comment. IMO, the performance should not be severely affected by the location and amount of material I had to remove. Yes, I had to grind both edges of both front calipers.

Thank you again nsxsupra, PM sent.

Last edited:
god i love your car! it looks fantastic

nsxhk said:
Grinding the calipers?? :eek:

I wasn't aware of that procedure, is this info on the RacingBrake website?

Henry.

That is right Henry. It is stated in their website. I didn't realise it until i have paid for it and the BBK was shipped to me.

Obviously I am concerned about the effect of the grinding, albeit only 1 or 2 mm, has on the oem caliper.

Anyone here has any view on this?

will these bbk change the caliper's position?
if i have high offset wheel, will they still clear with the front and rear kit?

This is in response to some of the concerns about the front caliper fitment for older models.

RB big rotors and extended brackets are built to preserve the OE calipers (front and rear), which means from 1991 to 2005 (15 years.)

During this time Honda (Acura) has altered their caliper designs, even without design change the caliper tooling would have been re-newed (re-tooled).

Understand caliper body unlike the piston bore is not machined i.e. not a precision concern, so even the exact “same” tooling can last for 15 years you can still find the dimensions vary from one casting (lot) to the other which is typically called “production variation”.

It’s conceivable that only the earlier models (91-96) front calipers may require this minor work because the original rotor only has 282mm OD, comparing to the late model (97-05) of 298mm it is a two-step upgrade. In relation to our big rotor of 324mm which was designed based on the maximum allowable "OE" wheel clearance of new models, othwise it wouldn't be a BBK. We also believe the caliper curvature is relatively smaller in earlier model which can result this interference.

The updated description in our web page:
http://www.racingbrake.com/images/nsx_caliper_grind.jpg

As suggested and witnessed by kkt it’s a straightforward work and can be done by a Dremel tool or simply use a coarse sand paper with a drill bit to clear the interference. There is absolutely no strength concern at all with this retrofit, for those old model owners who don’t want to get involved with this work may consider one step up to 97+ brakes.

http://www.racingbrake.com/NSX_Upgrade_to_97_s/3181.htm

Our brakes are built to perform, last and look. Furthermore purchasing from RB is always worry free. If for any reason (including above work) you are not completely satisfied with our kits just return the purchase within 30 days for a full refund (less shipping)

Last edited:
I have it installed today and only one side of the fronts needed grinding, I guess this is what sdoow called 'production variation'. Other than that, it's a perfect fit! :biggrin:

Henry.

Last edited:
I had mine installed today too. Had to grind the inner edges of both front calipers and the external surface of both rear calipers because it won't clear the rear wheels. :eek:

I will report on the performance in a few days time.

nsxinkl said:
That is right Henry. It is stated in their website. I didn't realise it until i have paid for it and the BBK was shipped to me.

Obviously I am concerned about the effect of the grinding, albeit only 1 or 2 mm, has on the oem caliper.

Anyone here has any view on this?

nsxinkl,

I don't think you need to worry about the caliper grinding. VintageNYC did a race at Dayona with this kit without any issues, in fact, his praise about this bbk is very encouraging. Needless to say, this kit will perform flawlessly under street conditions.

Henry.

Hi

Sorry for this stupid question.

Is there anything I need to measure to be sure that this BBK will fit on my NSX? If the rims are at least 17" in the front they fit?

I have HP EVO's on mine in 18"/19". I have no idea on the offset's and all that sorry.

I know I probably have to grind a little bit on the caliper to make it clear the rotor.

Regards

RB 13" BBK will fit under 17" wheel w/o any offset or clearance issue (between caliper and wheel)

Front caliper inside grinding may require to clear the rotors due to OE casting variation. Our BBK front rotors are enlarged to 13" and cover from the earlier model's 282mm to late model 298mm.

I have the RB BBK for a few weeks now. I don't track my car. I don't think I am qualified to do a technical review on the RB BBK but I will try anyway.

Looks - I ordered the slotted and drilled rotors. They look gorgeous on its own and aggressive once they are installed. Compared to the OEM rotors, the RB BBK rotors is definitely a few classes above it.

Installation - I got my mechanic to install it. According to him, it is quite a straight forward installation except for the front calipers. He had to grind the inner edges of the front caliper - a fact made known by RB at the outset. I understand that this may not be necessary for other buyers. I was assured by RB that this will not affect the performance of the brake kit. My mechanic had to grind the outer surface of my rear calipers because it won't clear my 18" rear wheels - a fact caused by the design of my rear wheels where the valve stem is exposed on the inner diameter of the wheel rather than positioned on the lip of the wheel. i believe other wheels may not have this problem.

Performance - My car definitely brakes a lot better than before. I went for a weekend drive recently and the 911, evo and wrx sti in our group had difficulty keeping up with me on meandering stretches. I believe apart from the handling capability of the nsx, the improved braking of my car is also a contributing factor.

Value for money? - The RB BBK is definitely value for money. Granted that it is more expensive than just changing the rotors and brake padss but it is substantially cheaper than other BBK's in the market (e.g. Brembo, AP and Stoptech).

I believe Vintageracer and factor X uses RB BBK and won some races. If it is good enough for them, I am sure it is good enough for the rest of us.

Last edited:
So far so good! They work just like oem but with confidence. I'll be heading to the track this weekend, let see how they handle.

I believe Vintageracer and factor X uses RB BBK and won some races. If it is good enough for them, I am sure it is good enough for the rest of us.

Werd!

Henry.

We can’t say enough about the value proposition of these brakes. Excellent weight savings, stopping power, zero to no fade, smooth predictable braking, ease of installation, and of course a price that is pretty tough to beat. We have pretty much run everything short of the Brembo F-50 and ups and these are fantastic. Highly recommended for the daily driver/track junkie.

Here are some pics with 17/18 Racing Sparco:

Attachments

• primeresize.JPG
    primeresize.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 161
  • racingbrakeresize1.JPG
    racingbrakeresize1.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 191
  • racingbrakeresize2.JPG
    racingbrakeresize2.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 165
  • racingbrakeresize3.JPG