• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2003 NSX

Greetings All,

I know it gets tiresome to hear about the upcoming up-engined NSX so please bear with me. Last night I visited my local Acura dealership to check out the new MDX (a very nice SUV I might add) and while I was there the General Manager of the dealership and I started talking about the NSX. He informed me that the latest news he heard from tight lipped Honda execs is that the new up-engined NSX is scheduled for the 2003 model year equipped with a 3.5l-4.0l V8 with an estimated output of 475-500 BHP.WOW! I had to ask him three separate times to make sure I heard him right. That is way more HP than I have heard previously! The latest engine design Honda is toying with is the mating of two S2000 2.0L engines. That I definitely have not heard before! But, I know we have to take this info with a grain of salt but if it is true watch out Porsche & Ferrari!

I believe everything except the HP.

I'll bet it's in the high-300s or low 400s.

-Jim

------------------
1991 NSX Blk/Blk
1974 Vette 454 4 spd
Wht/Blk

I would say here In the usa It the engine will be around 300 and at max with Vtec.. 375 Hp and torque will be in the mid 200's and high 200's.. Just my 2¢

Yet I would still think they will keep with the V6??? anythoughts on why they wouldnt?

Originally posted by HapaHaole:
I would say here In the usa It the engine will be around 300 and at max with Vtec.. 375 Hp and torque will be in the mid 200's and high 200's.. Just my 2¢

Yet I would still think they will keep with the V6??? anythoughts on why they wouldnt?

Very doubtful that the next NSX would come out with as little horsepower as 300. That's practically where it's been since 1997.

Like Akula, I've also heard from an Acura dealership about the next NSX having a 3.5 - 4.0 liter V8, with at least 350hp, and perhaps a more expensive variant that has 450hp.

The biggest criticism of the NSX from Day 1 (over a decade ago!) was that the engine should have been bigger and that the car was underpowered (both torque and horsepower). Everyone has always said that an "exotic" sports car with the kind of price tag an NSX carries should come with either a V8 or at least forced induction on the V6. The NSX was never really taken seriously by the sports-car-buying public because of its engine, and the (low) yearly sales of the car back that up.

Here we are in the 2000's and Vettes handle and brake very well, and they come with 350 - 385hp. The lowest 911 comes with 300+ hp, the new M3 comes with 333hp, even the cheap F-bodies have been coming with 305-315 hp, gobs of torque, and run the 1/4 mile in the 13's. If Honda/Acura has learned at all from its mistakes, a new NSX entry a couple years from now would have 350+ hp. If they've truly learned, it'll be a V8 or other setup that provides at least 300 lb-ft of torque.

One can only hope
smile.gif

Marc

If Honda wants to make a car that would sell, they should make the next NSX like the Porsche GT3. Hi tech V-6, maybe around 3.5l, highly tuned for just shy of 400hp. light weight, and racy suspension. V-8s are for snobs, V-6 is the way to go. If Honda want to build a GT1 winner, price not a factor, then they should simply drop a detuned(for endurance) F1 V-10 in it, use exotic materials for the body. I really don't see any need to develop a big-ass v-8 engine just for the bragging right.

------------------
Please visit my NSX tuning page! Mods, Japanese NSX related stuff, pics!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Dojo/6073/index.html

I would agree with maomaonsx.. I would think they would put in a 6 cyl.. Now sorry about my other post.. I was trying to say between 300 to 400 HP.. Yet.. are they going to keep the aluminum body structure?

pstoppani:

If you think that statement is ridiculous, can you explain to me why is the Porsche GT3 faster than the 360 Modena around the track, and why has every European magazine picked the GT3 over the Modena as the better "driver's" car. If you look interms of motorsport, there is rarely any v-8 powered cars today, that are competetive, actually, I cant think of any...

------------------

Originally posted by maomaonsx:
If Honda wants to make a car that would sell, they should make the next NSX like the Porsche GT3. Hi tech V-6, maybe around 3.5l, highly tuned for just shy of 400hp. light weight, and racy suspension. V-8s are for snobs, V-6 is the way to go. If Honda want to build a GT1 winner, price not a factor, then they should simply drop a detuned(for endurance) F1 V-10 in it, use exotic materials for the body. I really don't see any need to develop a big-ass v-8 engine just for the bragging right.

I think thats a good idea if they want to sell big in Europe. But in America the attitude is bigger is better! I think the NSX has slow sales numbers because it doesn't have BIG HP numbers. And a "true" supercar should have BIG HP numbers and BIG cyclinder count. Me personally I think the new NSX should at least have a V-8, nothing more and nothing less that 400 HP and aluminum body. If people will shell out 150,000 for a 360 they would shell out 100,000 for a car with equal performance. Of course Honda doesn't have the same prestige as a Ferrari, but the race history is there for sure. Thats my $.02, which doesn't really matter.
smile.gif

Yes, America certainly has a very different taste than the rest of the world. Most cars that sells here are consider crap in the rest of the world. See vipers, corvettes, Mustangs, etc. And the TRUE sports cars like Lotus Elise, Lancer evolution, TVRs, Porsche GT3s, etc arent even sold here. Simply because most American's think they have too big of a penis to appreciate these fine, exciting, and engaging sports cars.

------------------

Simply because most American's think they have too big of a penis to appreciate these fine, exciting, and engaging sports cars.

[/B]

too true.......too true, stupid americans dont appreciate de good sports carws! (in french accent)

------------------
me want NSX, me 15, me no have NSX =( but me do 3d art http://members.home.com/mcudich

"America certainly has a very different taste than the rest of the world. Most cars that sells here are consider crap in the rest of the world. See vipers, corvettes, Mustangs, etc."

Your experiences in Europe are very different than mine. While American cars were not common, every time I did see a Viper or Corvette they got a LOT of attention and a lot of appriciative reactions. Vipers especially got the Europeans all fired up, probably because they don't have a lot of local large displacement engines.

And the TRUE sports cars like Lotus Elise, Lancer evolution, TVRs, Porsche GT3s, etc arent even sold here. Simply because most American's think they have too big of a penis to appreciate these fine, exciting, and engaging sports cars.

American's have "too big of a penis" to appreciate a Porsche GT3 and that's why it's not brought over here?.. I really hope you're not serious. FYI - whenever there is even talk about bringing a GT3 etc over here there's a line at the Porsche dealers with Americans ready to put a deposit down. If you have a problem, take it up with Porsche. (While you're at it, let them know to rip that 5.5 liter V10 out of their new Carrera GT and put a normally aspirated 6 cylinder in so it can be more competitive.)
smile.gif

Yes, I'm sure there will be many Americans buying these nice european or japanese sports cars if they were sold here. But how many, is many? The problem is that 'many" is not enough to justify bringing those cars over here. meanwhile the Europeans gets to drive their Elise to watch FIA GT championships, and the japanese can drive their Lancer EVOS to watch JGTC, and Americans can drive their Stang to watch some ugly-ass cars run circles, or wrose, do a a few seconds run down a straight line...

The good news is that American sports car market is begainning to change. The return of F1 is a good indicator of this change.

------------------

I couldn't agree more that American cars are considered craps in Asia. One only need to take a plane ride to Tokyo or Singapore or even Jakarta, and talk with the local car heads. They will tell you that American sells appliances not cars. American cars are sold well only in the US, Canada and few South American countries.

Hey NSX2F1, where u originally from?
I'm from Jakarta. and been to those country mentioned for quite a while.

From my experience in Asia and Europe, they would say that American cars are crap in quality. Not performance wise. Actually they have much respect for performance in American cars even if it require American to use big displacement.

I driven Viper, and I can say it's very crappy. However, it is freakin fast and handle quite well. I heard some people say they handle not good, but after driven them I tottally disagree. They handle great, only with that much power, it requires a lot of skill to keep them in control.

Yes, I'm sure there will be many Americans buying these nice european or japanese sports cars if they were sold here. But how many, is many? The problem is that 'many" is not enough to justify bringing those cars over here.

The good news is that American sports car market is begainning to change. The return of F1 is a good indicator of this change.

I don't disagree. I'm not sure how many "many" is either. Any idea how many GT3's get sold annually in some of the major European countries? I wouldn't think they are making so many more sales in some of the countries than they'd be able to make here.

I'd think the US has higher costs to begin with to bring a car here, which isn't the fault of the American consumers and their tastes, it's just how it is. Ie, easier to get a custom Porsche from a German factory to somewhere in Germany or the UK than it would be to bring it to the US. And certainly the US regulations regarding crash testing, emissions certification, etc etc can't be a fun or inexpensive thing to go through. And let's not forget the whole right-hand drive thing for Japan & the UK, another expense to deal with. (Remember the LHD conversion issues with the Skyline? The steering rod conflicted with where the turbos were on the engine. Not an easy fix).

Marc

Interesting thread... especially to me, as I own both a 996 and an NSX.

The American vs. European thing doesn't hold much water. There are gobs of American cars on the streets in most western European countries. In fact, the Ford dealership across from my office in Brussels is also the local Lamborghini dealership... go figure. The reason that Corvettes and Vipers get so much attention there is that GM and Chrysler don't export many of them. Same goes for the NSX in Europe. Example: I just learned two nights ago that there has been a grand total of 17 NSXs sold by Honda in The Netherlands since introduction 10 years ago. Compare this with over 7,000 sold in the US in the same time period.

Anyway, what is the definition of an "American" car? Many "American" cars are only assembled in the USA, and are mostly foreign components. Is a Mercedes now an American car, or are all Chrysler cars German? Is an Opel, Jaguar, etc., American cars? Are half the Boxsters on the road Finnish because they're assembled in Finland?

Then there is this uninformed quote:

"Ie, easier to get a custom Porsche from a German factory to somewhere in Germany or the UK than it would be to bring it to the US. And certainly the US regulations regarding crash testing, emissions certification, etc etc can't be a fun or inexpensive thing to go through."

Actually... Porsches are cheaper in the USA than anywhere else, including Germany, due to the historically strong dollar and the pricing from PAG negotiated by Porsche Cars North America. Furthermore, the emissions and safety features of Porsches are the same everywhere in the world, except for useless "bumperettes" installed on some North American delivery cars to meet odd DOT requirements. Porsches have always met or exceeded all European and American emissions and safety requirements years before other manufacturers... it's the American car companies that seem to have trouble doing this in a timely fashion.

EDR
91 Black/Ivory #3012

Originally posted by erobbins:
Furthermore, the emissions and safety features of Porsches are the same everywhere in the world, except for useless "bumperettes" installed on some North American delivery cars to meet odd DOT requirements. Porsches have always met or exceeded all European and American emissions and safety requirements years before other manufacturers..

Check out the article at:

http://formen.ign.com/news/22202.html
"...And so it goes again in Y2K, as Porsche's latest and greatest Teutonic terror, the top-speed 911 GT3, has also been turned back by Uncle Sam and Lady Liberty at America's Great Gate due to Porsche's stubborn refusal to let the Feds hook a sniffer to the tailpipe and bang some bumpers."

http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/news/Geneva99/Porsche.911.GT3.html
"...Unfortunately, the GT3 will not be sold in North America due to the prohibitive costs of making it street legal."

http://www.autoworld.com/news/Porsche/911GT3.htm
"...The GT3 is not available for sale in the North American market. This vehicle is not certified to U.S. safety and emissions requirements."

I'll stand by my statement about costs and gov. regulations preventing cars like the GT3 from coming to the US. I'll take a guess that maybe you thought I was referring to all Porsches as opposed to the Porsche GT3 I was specifically referring to?

Marc

[This message has been edited by SpeedDemon (edited 20 October 2000).]

Government regulations arecertainly part of the problem. But, If the makers can sell enough cars, They WILL bring the cars over. It is because these sports cars don't sell here, that is the main reason they are not here. Once again, goes back to show the general American taste for cars. And I'm sure, if camaros & corvettes, or vipers, etc, sells over in Europe, you can bet that Chevy or GM, or whatever would export more of them over there.

------------------

SpeedDemon:

You are correct... I was referring to Porsches sold around the world, not just the GT3, which is a special case (much like the 959). Then again, there are a number of model variants from Japanese companies which are available in particular countries because of unique market conditions (and government regulations).

For example, the Lexus IS300 is available in Europe as the IS200... smaller engine, because of local market and gov't tax penalties for registering a vehicle with a large engine. This isn't really an apples to apples comparison, but I think you get the point.

Anyway, what I was trying to get across is that a 986, 996, 996 Turbo, etc., are cheaper here in the US than in Germany for various reasons. Porsche designs vehicles from day one with the world market in mind. The GT3 is a special case, mostly due to the engine. However, efforts are being made to import used vehicles:

<A HREF="http://dms.dot.gov/search/hitlist.asp?dkt_docketid=7965&summary=Y">GT3 Petition Docket</a>

(let's hope the HTML works)... otherwise:
http://dms.dot.gov/search/hitlist.asp?dkt_docketid=7965&summary=Y

EDR
91 Black/Ivory #3012

Back