• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2013 Detroit Auto Show

If I ever have one, I will make sure it look either way:

nsx_c_1.jpg

nsx_c_2.jpg

Oscar

1+. With some minor tweaks, I can see this car having lots of potential. After Honda irons out all the gremlins on the first few production years, I should have enough to enjoy for a little bit. Then have to dump it because it's more than I want to spend on any car. Ah well. :frown:

Last edited:
could we be looking at ceramic brakes!? :eek::biggrin:

Those are ceramic rotors. Yes. I wonder if wheel is actually carbon... Looks like a inquest hub/mounting system as well.

I wonder how long the car is being delayed because of the hybrid power terrain. It would be great if they came out with a non-hybrid, 2 wheel drive 450HP model, and the hybrid later. Kind of like they are doing with the RLX. That way they can have a car out a year sooner. I can't think of another car that has been shown in concept 2 years in a row. Hopefully people dont lose interest or worse think it is never coming.

the interior looks exotic but is not likely the real deal...there is not the proliferation of controlls/knobs/dials that adorn most production cars.But heck it beats the first show cars by a mile:wink:

No close look at rest of dash.... Speedo; other gauges;radio/audio. Will it be touch-screen, or ??

I guess it really will be a technological marvel. Center locking wheels, ceramic rotors, carbon fiber wheels.

In general, don't center lock wheels need an astronomical about of torque to seat properly? IIRC, the Carerra GT needs something like 450ft lbs and requires a special tool.

My buddies GT3 requires a 6 foot torque wrench to remove the wheels..

In general, don't center lock wheels need an astronomical about of torque to seat properly? IIRC, the Carerra GT needs something like 450ft lbs and requires a special tool.

Yeah if they put out the production version like that, it definitely won't be as user friendly as our nsx is. It'll be quite a bit higher maint too I'm sure.

I like how the carbon fiber interior section resembles our current NSX interior style. It wraps around the occupants. From the center consoles it goes to the dash and ends on the door just like our current gen. I like this iteration for sure.

Interior is a grand slam! The wheels are over thought and unappealing but may look pretty cool while the car is rolling. I am VERY disappointed that it appears a manual gear box with a clutch is not being offered. Hopefully they offer an auto and a manual to make everyone happy. At 100k+ I think it is safe to say this car will not have much ill effect on the resale of our NSX's, especially if a manual gearbox with a clutch is not offered with the new one. Maybe the "mini NSX" that we have heard about will be the S2000 replacement and offer a manual gear box??

So with all the carbon fiber highlights inside and out, I wonder: Have they said what the vehicle's structure and body panels will be made of?

The interior does seem to be a slam dunk. I will fall in line with all those liking the simple controls. Anyone who has driven an automatic vehicle and is familiar with the D-N-R-P letters and order will immediately know what to do to get this thing parked or rolling in the direction they desire. I test drove a BMW a year or two ago and the salesman had to explain the shifter to me. Many new luxury interiors are intimidating in their complexity.

Last edited:
So with all the carbon fiber highlights inside and out, I wonder: Have they said what the vehicle's structure and body panels will be made of?

The interior does seem to be a slam dunk. I will fall in line with all those liking the simple controls. Anyone who has driven an automatic vehicle and is familiar with the D-N-R-P letters and order will immediately know what to do to get this thing parked or rolling in the direction they desire. I test drove a BMW a year or two ago and the salesman had to explain the shifter to me. Many new luxury interiors are intimidating in their complexity.

I can vouch for the 2013 BMW controls complexities, but only an hour or so & I was comfortable - was very intimidated at first.

As far as BMW's DCT transmission, it's quite intuitive + programmable. I will never own a manual again. Thought I'd never say that after more manuals than I can remember.

This NSX update is encouraging. The interior is a home run - exterior is maturing nicely....I want!

I think the concept has evolved nicely. The first go at the interior looks great and the exterior changes are tasteful.

I doubt very much that the final car will have center lock wheels- too expensive, doesn't add value, and who wants to carry a long prybar to change wheels?

What's the fuss about the transmission all about?

It's a manual dual clutch transmission with shifting by paddle (or by cpu if you choose).
Are we saying we'd rather have a foot clutch and manual gear shifting?
Seems to me that having a solenoid actuated clutch with very fast shifts with a flick of a wrist while keeping two hands on the steering wheel is a much safer and quicker system.
All the current exotics have it for good reason I would think

Jim

Looking forward to heading downtown to the NAIAS. I will be shopping for a new daily driver, so I have some purpose to attend other than check out the new NSX concept. Will look closely at the Caddy ATS, the Toyburu, 135i, and maybe Regal GS.

This is still a concept.... but those wheels don't look like center locks to me. The wheel hub is clearly stepped. The section where the wheel attaches are further back from the spokes. The lugnuts or attchment system most likely are there (red circles), in between the spokes and further in. The blue circle is the only space for the center lock itself, and that is just too small. Also, although the concept carbon may be fake, I have a strong suspicion the wheels themselves may in fact be carbon with some sort of metal alloy spoke like magnesium added. If weight savings are that important, then 2 good places to save weight are ceramic rotors and carbon wheels. But this car.... it isn't going to be 100K. It's going to be well north. I didn't like the look of the wheel initially, but now that I see it is no ordinary wheel, and there is actually function (possibly carbon, possibly a unique mounting system, and possibly some sort of aero cooling or scavenging design), I like them. Very different.

NSX_Concept_191_zpsc91babc4.jpg

Last edited:
Looking more closely at the wheels, I'm thinking this is an alloy wheel with carbon fiber trim pieces attached.

I don't think the technology is here yet for carbon fiber wheels that will stand up to normal street driving.
Their cost would be as prohibitive as center lock wheels and only for a limited saving in unsprung weight.
When Formula 1 is showing that carbon fiber wheels can take the pounding over curbs etc then maybe we'll see them on the street.

I believe Honda is positioning this NSX against the GTR and Porsche (six cylinder cars) in the $120-135K range.
I don't think Honda can offer carbon fiber center lock wheels, exotic brake rotors and pads, carbon fiber everything and meet that price point.

If Honda were positioning the NSX against the 458/599/Gallardo/GT3 etc. at a much higher price point I think they would need a V8 engine at a minimum
A new V8/10/12 engine would be a very large capital expenditure for Honda and a much higher selling price for the NSX.
While our new NSX will be compared to Ferrari/Lamborghini etc I don't think the NSX will be comparble to those cars.

If we can run with the GTR, Porsches and the new Corvette I think we'll have done very well.

Jim

Last edited:
I hope EVERY SQUARE INCH of that center console that isn't occupied by coolant and refrigerant hoses (and electric cables for motors) is turned into storage. Seems there would be lots of room in there. It's not like there should be any bulk to the climate and gear selection buttons (all just low-voltage buttons). However, could also make for a good, central location for computers, relays, fuses, etc to save space elsewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think the technology is here yet for carbon fiber wheels that will stand up to normal street driving.
Their cost would be as prohibitive as center lock wheels and only for a limited saving in unsprung weight.

http://www.carbonrev.com/

I think that goes against your first point (not here yet), but probably reinforces your second (cost prohibitive). Then again, we can always dream considering an all-aluminum car with titanium rods wasn't the obvious path 22 years ago.

Looking more closely at the wheels, I'm thinking this is an alloy wheel with carbon fiber trim pieces attached.

It is a concept car don't forget. This is not a production car. It is a concept car with an interior. So these will probably change.

Well that's not necessarily true. Dymag sold wheels for a number of cars, and they currently make CF wheels for bikes. They were $10K a set and not many people bought them, but some manufacturers did. For STREET CARS. The Calloway Corvette used them, as did some italian exotic, I forget who now. The weight savings is significant, not "minimal".

I believe Honda is positioning this NSX against the GTR and Porsche (six cylinder cars) in the $120-135K range.
I don't think Honda can offer carbon fiber center lock wheels, exotic brake rotors and pads, carbon fiber everything and meet that price point.

Yes, if they are trying to meet that price point. But that price point may be 150. Or 170. We don't know.

If Honda were positioning the NSX against the 458/599/Gallardo/GT3 etc. at a much higher price point I think they would need a V8 engine at a minimum

Why? The GT3 is a 6. Plus they are using hybrid motors and a 6 can be a lot lighter than an 8. I don't think they need a V8 to compete with those cars.

While our new NSX will be compared to Ferrari/Lamborghini etc I don't think the NSX will be comparble to those cars.

You don't think the new NSX can be comparable to a Gallardo? Why not? I think it can be better.

If we can run with the GTR, Porsches and the new Corvette I think we'll have done very well.

How are you placing Ferrari and lambo above the GTR, ZR1 and the GT3? The NSX is there to be a Halo car. I think that might be its most important duty... not sales numbers.

They don't have to be standard. Carbon rotors are still ~$10k options on most cars in that price range, if they're even offered. If they offer c/f wheels as well, that can also be an option.

Even the R8 when it first came out had dopey looking 18"s, you just never saw them because 98% of owners got the optional 19"s that you always see (or immediately swapped them for something else).
I hope EVERY SQUARE INCH of that center console that isn't occupied by coolant and refrigerant hoses (and electric cables for motors) is turned into storage. Seems there would be lots of room in there. It's not like there should be any bulk to the climate and gear selection buttons (all just low-voltage buttons). However, could also make for a good, central location for computers, relays, fuses, etc to save space elsewhere.
I forget where I read it or if it was just a guess, but it could very well be where the batteries are stored, which would be the perfect location.

Back