• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2nd Generation R8 vs NSX

My understanding is that the older R-tronic is not too good, the newer version (2014+) is much improved

that is absolutely correct, the R-Tronic version is not the best, pretty slow and lurchy shifts. the new DCT tranny from 2014 up is as good as anything else out there. it's well worth getting the DCT version. if buying an older R8, i'd personally opt for the manual...

A few things quickly:

About the new R8:

Uglier than the previous generation. Side intakes creases having an opening angle towards the front is RIDICULOUS and makes me laugh out loud ... It gives the impression the car will expand as getting too much air while going forward !!!

Totally at the opposite of the rear midengine arrow design ...

Absolutely ludicrous at the hignest level: this is what happens when you want to be different just for the sake of being different ...

About the Ferrari 355 vs NSX

Not a big performance difference from what I have read in several magazines, especially the Road & Track article about the best handling cars of America with Mario Andretti.

NSX Zanardi Edition against a 355 spider ( Andretti admitted that he had to deflate 355 tires under safe specifications to make the Ferrari competitive ( otherwise it would have been too shameful ... )).

Of course, 380 hp should easily beat 290 hp but let us not forget how efficient is the NSX; one example: with its older c pillar design ( the nice and lovely fins ) the Ferrari concedes lots of aerodynamic efficiency. The 355 Cx is abominable ( like the one of the Countach ... ) and this is why the 360 Modena came with a rear window flowing like the NSX one ...

So, in fact, the 355 considering its signifiant power advantage, did not humiliated the NSX, quite the contrary ...

But the CinqueValvole V8 sound is pure music ...

Last edited:
So......it sounds like you don't like the R8.

LOL

A few things quickly:

About the new R8:

Uglier than the previous generation. Side intakes creases having an opening angle towards the front is RIDICULOUS and makes me laugh out loud ... It gives the impression the car will expand as getting too much air while going forward !!!

Totally at the opposite of the rear midengine arrow design...

I agree with trepidation at the moment. there are aspects of the older R8 I prefer, and aspects of the newer R8 I prefer. i'll hold judgement until I see the new R8 in person, because the current R8 looks a lot better in person, as does the NSX in my opinion. neither one of those cars photograph as well as they look when you're standing right next to them.

About the Ferrari 355 vs NSX

Not a big performance difference from what I have read in several magazines, especially the Road & Track article about the best handling cars of America with Mario Andretti.

NSX Zanardi Edition against a 355 spider ( Andretti admitted that he had to deflate 355 tires under safe specifications to make the Ferrari competitive ( otherwise it would have been too shameful ... )).

So, in fact, the 355 considering its signifiant power advantage, did not humiliated the NSX, quite the contrary ...

as for this comparison, you seem to have not taken into account that you're literally comparing the lightest, stiffest, fastest NSX model against the heaviest, wobbliest, least aerodynamic, slowest 355 model.

had they used a hardtop 355 coupe the results would likely be significantly different. I'm presuming at the time of this test that particular 355 was the only one available in the test fleet. it's obviously a very unfair comparison against the other cars, of which all were hardtop coupes.

I too have read that article, still have the magazine in fact. and a (non-turbo) 911 Carrera beat them all...

Looks pretty good to me.

:smile:

DF6C5E8A-0B42-45D2-AC23-F37241DA02AC_zpsuku74nwk.png

About the new R8:

Totally at the opposite of the rear midengine arrow design ...

Absolutely ludicrous at the hignest level: this is what happens when you want to be different just for the sake of being different ...

I agree. The side creases are the worst styling detail on the new R8. They're expanding in size as you move towards the front hood. This places too much athletic emphasis on the front of the car as opposed to rear. This nearly gives the illusion that the front of the car is taller, heavier, and more important than the rear-- the opposite of classic mid engine design.

2016-audi-r8-v10-reveals-the-next-era-of-german-supercars-in-geneva-live-photos_11.jpg

I guess I am not that torqued up about the numbers. Hell our current NSX's (aside from some of you FI guys) only have a shadow the power of most sports cars today and I think we are still happy with it. I can't wait for the new NSX. If it runs a 3.2 0-60 but still delivers the love I get from this one, I'm good.

I'll hold judgement until I see the new R8 in person, because the current R8 looks a lot better in person, as does the NSX in my opinion. neither one of those cars photograph as well as they look when you're standing right next to them.

Exactly, seeing the car in person is the real thing. OTOH, every car has one or several angles from which they don't look good ( Interestingly, the original NSX, has very few, thus validating the excellence of its design. Another good example, IMVHO, is the Lamborghini Diablo ... )

as for this comparison, you seem to have not taken into account that you're literally comparing the lightest, stiffest, fastest NSX model against the heaviest, wobbliest, least aerodynamic, slowest 355 model.

had they used a hardtop 355 coupe the results would likely be significantly different. I'm presuming at the time of this test that particular 355 was the only one available in the test fleet. it's obviously a very unfair comparison against the other cars, of which all were hardtop coupes.

I too have read that article, still have the magazine in fact. and a (non-turbo) 911 Carrera beat them all...

Yes I know.

I too have the magazine! And still have it ... somewhere ...

I know but OTOH, even if it was the Spider version, IIRC it wasn't the first years 355 model and because of this it was a slightly more powerful and efficient 355.

Let's not forget that the Spider version do not represent a huge handicap compared to a 355 coupé ( like an '95 NSX-T vs '91-'96 NSX coupé ), and that the tire pressure issue seemed to make a more significant difference ...

Let's not forget almost 100 hp advantage in favor of the Ferrari ...

Sorry for the late reply ...

I agree. The side creases are the worst styling detail on the new R8. They're expanding in size as you move towards the front hood. This places too much athletic emphasis on the front of the car as opposed to rear. This nearly gives the illusion that the front of the car is taller, heavier, and more important than the rear-- the opposite of classic mid engine design.

2016-audi-r8-v10-reveals-the-next-era-of-german-supercars-in-geneva-live-photos_11.jpg

Athletic or pimp!

char djacké par en avant.jpg

Last edited:
If you value German performance then buy it and give us a real review. If not, keep dreaming of it and tell us how much maintenance will cost you. Nuff said... There are R8 forums ya know... Google Bavarian performance and there you are.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me rephrase that last post. It looks quite angry. All I am saying is, before reading car and driver reviews and comparing a car 25 years newer then our own, maybe you should purchase the car and give us real world reviews from an unadulterated view. I see many posts here about Porsche and the R8. If I had the money, the gel spiked hair, and affliction t shirts as do all other owners of this car then maybe I would love to read about it. But I do not. I am a simple, blue collared worker and the nsx to me stands for a blue collared workers car these days. The nsx is legend.... It has proved the world over, raised the bar, and is the sole reason why the gtr is beating the crap out of every other car in the super car world. The nsx is a platform of how simple minded people with a idea can prove the world wrong. Please do not compare that to something held to today's standards. It is unrealistic. Would I take an R8 or a new 911 over my nsx, probably. But unless you have the cash to do so,,,, don't knock our nsx thread. Say something positive about the nsx for example. Or,,, go buy an R8.

If you value German performance then buy it and give us a real review. If not, keep dreaming of it and tell us how much maintenance will cost you. Nuff said... There are R8 forums ya know... Google Bavarian performance and there you are.
Let me rephrase that last post. It looks quite angry. All I am saying is, before reading car and driver reviews and comparing a car 25 years newer then our own, maybe you should purchase the car and give us real world reviews from an unadulterated view. I see many posts here about Porsche and the R8. If I had the money, the gel spiked hair, and affliction t shirts as do all other owners of this car then maybe I would love to read about it. But I do not. I am a simple, blue collared worker and the nsx to me stands for a blue collared workers car these days. The nsx is legend.... It has proved the world over, raised the bar, and is the sole reason why the gtr is beating the crap out of every other car in the super car world. The nsx is a platform of how simple minded people with a idea can prove the world wrong. Please do not compare that to something held to today's standards. It is unrealistic. Would I take an R8 or a new 911 over my nsx, probably. But unless you have the cash to do so,,,, don't knock our nsx thread. Say something positive about the nsx for example. Or,,, go buy an R8.

I think you are a relatively new member of the forums and may not realize this thread is about comparing the New NSX and the New R8.
Its not about comparing the original NSX to the new R8 at all.
Some of the posters in this thread have owned R8's so their comments are based on experience.
As one on the wait list for the new NSX I find these posts most informative.

Perhaps before you are too critical of some of these posters you might spend a bit of time understanding who they are.

Last edited:
I think you are a relatively new member of the forums and may not realize this thread is about comparing the New NSX and the New R8.
Its not about comparing the original NSX to the new R8 at all.
Some of the posters in this thread have owned R8's so their comments are based on experience.
As one on the wait list for the new NSX I find these posts most informative.

Perhaps before you are too critical of some of these posters you might spend a bit of time understanding who they are.
If you do not own an affliction t shirt and have axe gel spiked hair, I beleive you.:smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry if I took this post to heart. Been a long day here. Always good not to post anything on the net when tired and hungry. I am learning...

If you do not own an affliction t shirt and have axe gel spiked hair, I beleive you.:smile
Sorry if I took this post to heart. Been a long day here. Always good not to post anything on the net when tired and hungry. I am learning...

I'm don't get the t-shirt and gel comment so no idea what you mean there.
Have read your tired and hungry comment before.
Try eating the Snickers bar before you post.

It would seem Jinks views Audi and Porsche as only purchased by those with concern for image. I understand the sentiment but think that it ignores that both companies make some excellent cars.

I'm don't get the t-shirt and gel comment so no idea what you mean there. Have read your tired and hungry comment before. Try eating the Snickers bar before you post.

I don't get this either? I've never actually seen anyone matching that physical description driving an R8?

good idea on the Snickers bar.

It would seem Jinks views Audi and Porsche as only purchased by those with concern for image. I understand the sentiment but think that it ignores that both companies make some excellent cars.

agreed, he has obviously never driven either car. step into a Porsche GT3 and get back to us then Jinks.

to add to the fact that Audi and Porsche are both incredible performing cars, the R8 has been on the road now for 9 years with no major mechanical problems of any sort. the maintenance on the car is also quite minimal and reasonable.

and last but certainly not least, this is an Audi R8 thread...

I find that comment about the NSX being a blue collar car somewhat amusing. When I bought mine new back in 1992 and 1994, they cost about US$175,000 each (I was working overseas at that time and the import tax is very high where I was).

It's odd. There's a real sense of defensiveness to a lot of the members on this board. So much of the basis of comparison between the new NSX and the new R8 is necessarily conjecture at this point as none of us have driven either car yet.

I see a lot of opposing comments about both new cars' looks, but you'll always get that. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

I'm just really looking forward to seeing both cars in the flesh.

Guys, let me clear the airway some.
I was in a very pissed off mood yesterday and I finally got laid today:smile: My comment is in regards to people copying and pasting things about cars they "read" about on the net about an R8 or a new Porsche. I have read all the threads on this perticular forum and it is all speculation in my view. The only "real" comparison to an R8 and a nsx to my knowledge is from s4play who actually owns both. If someone else owns both and gives a real review about it, other then sniffing a German engineers butt, please post it as I would LOVE to read it.
I am sorry if I offended actual and potential German car owners. I am not that kind of person. I take everything I read here with a grain of salt as do I ask others who read my comments. It is a opinion of mine as are yours to this thread.
I understand you are comparing the new nsx to the R8, but hey guys, the new nsx is not even out yet. So maybe, compare things when you "actually" get your hands on both rather then make yourself to be an expert of the two. I mean no offense to any member nor do I want to hack this thread as an argument which I can understand I may have done already. Sorry... Sometimes views and opinions get misconstrued over the net. That is all I was trying to bring to topic.
But honestly, thanks for calling me on it. My rant about gel spiked hair and affliction t shirts is that the people in California who step out of these cars are just that.
They have lots of cash, look like Jersey shore folks from mtv, and trust me I am a Jersey boy myself, and they have no idea the type of car they purchased. That was all I was saying. Tough crowd here. I think I may return to lurking in the shadows here. Cheers!

Thanks for your input. I think these forums are not for me.

Back