• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2nd Generation R8 vs NSX

excellent point JD. very few cars are gonna be aesthetically pleasing from every angle to every person, and certainly the look has nothing to do with the driving experience.

I think a lot of people that bash a car based on minor (or major) design elements probably haven't actually driven that car and have no idea how it performs, and what they may be missing. which has been something I have tried to state time and time again, about different cars or dual clutch transmissions or whatever. which is simply, don't knock it until you try it...

the first video isn't really a fair comparison to compare a stock 458 against highly modified cars, but stock for stock the GTR would still pull it off the line, but I think the 458 usually pulls it back at the other end. hard to beat AWD in a drag race. the 458 driver's reaction time was horrible on that run also, he gave up a full half second snoozing on the start.

the second video I saw a little while back and is an awesome and pretty surprising one. you can see the Ducati (without any type of launch or wheelie control) wheelies within several feet of the start, and therefor the rider has to shut power down to stop the front wheel rising further. the bike struggles with excessive wheelies for the first three gears. the Porsche actually passes the motorcycle as the 1199 rider can probably use no more than 50% of the power on tap. but when the speeds reach over 110 to 120 mph and the front end finally stays closer to the ground then he can give the bike the full beans and it rockets away. but as the bike begins to run out of gearing nearing 200 mph the P1 flies back past. even I was surprised a stock streetbike had that kind of acceleration on the Hypercars. but with 1 horsepower for every 2 lbs. of weight to pull, that's a tough equation to beat, even with a 900 horsepower Hypercar.

They adjusted the times for R/T I thought. It was a full second before the .2 second delay on R/T. At 600 hp for the GTR, it's not far off from the newest 550 hp GTR. Also the OEM GTRs probably have better sync with with the AWD and launches even better.

Just imagine what the Ducati would have ran if it had a 7th gear or slightly taller gears. I truly believe there's a lot left for the bikes to improve upon on as traction/wheelies are an issue as with aerodynamics at higher speeds. This is to not say the superbikes are not efficient at all, just not up to par with current supercars yet as far as advancements in putting the power down IMO.

the Porsche rips off the line fastest due to it's AWD traction, even though it's power to weight ratio is 4.1 lbs. for every horsepower. the McLaren has a 3.6 lbs. for every horsepower ratio but can't put the power down as well from a stop with only rear wheel drive. very surprising how it ran away up top though. I would have thought the 918 would have stayed right with the P1. a good example of gearing, weight, and horsepower from our earlier discussion on launch a few posts back. Porsche seems to really have it figured out with standing start launches. the 911 Turbo is an absolute beast 0 to 60 and I recommend all of you try it some time. you'll giggle like a 5-year old when you smash the rev-limiter in second gear because your brain won't be able to keep up with the car.

I'd really like to see what the LaFerrari can do with these two cars. I feel like it might be quicker...

It would be interesting to include the Bugatti too actually. I really wished Ferrari would have participated. It has the highest peak horsepower out of the three sans e-motors so I think it would have dominated the topspeed type of race. The Porsche was so fast off the line, but it's limited 600 hp peak was not enough to get it to 200 mph at the end of the mile.

I think the new NSX will do something similar if acceleration claims are true, but the topspeed will be purely dependent on the combustion engine output at that velocity. I think the TT V6 will make atleast 500 hp alone as the RLX SH-AWD only recieved at 60 HP combined bump from the three motors. If this carries over, then that would fall in-line with somewhere north of 550 hp, although I think Honda should shoot for 550 hp from the combustion engine alone and it wouldn't be a tall order for them. Also the RLX gained about 400 lbs from the e-motors and batteries. So if Honda can make the non-hybrid NSX weigh in at 3,000 lbs even, then 3,400 lbs is an fairly optimistic goal weight. We shall see soon enough hopefully...

the LaFerrari has it covered in acceleration. the Bugatti would eventually win the race however...

http://youtu.be/O1EjXrFoOE4

- - - Updated - - -

as If things hadn't escalated enough in the last year with the 650S, new Huracan, forthcoming Audi R8, Ford GT and Ferrari 488, and then this dropped today, the new McLaren 675LT:

666 horsepower, 2700 lbs., 0 to 62 mph in 2.9 seconds, 205 mph top speed.

Awesome car. Although I think I like the rear of the P1 much better. I see striking resemblances of the NSx in this car.

audi-r8-2017-6_653.jpg

The interior of the new R8 looks like it belongs in a luxury sedan, not a super car. There's no swooping center console like you find on McLaren, Huracan, or NSX. And that huge shift lever looks like something found in a family sedan. While it looks tasteful and modern, it's definitely a less sporty looking design than the original R8. I'm not a fan of this synthesis of luxury sedan meets sports car, but since the Audi ethos is firmly rooted in the luxury sedan market this isn't entirely surprising.

Ironically the overall vibe of the NSX interior looks far closer to that of the Huracan than its true sibling the R8 does....

djcojo9jnypnsoi95o6u.jpg

lamborghini-huracan-designboom10.jpg

i fully agree, that big shifter looks like it belongs in a Charger or a Camaro. not digging the interior, the old car looked a lot better to me.

off the three i prefer the interior of the Lamborghini, it looks the most like a Supercar should. and i have driven this car so it's all quite functional and easy to navigate. most of the controls are in the exact same place they were in the Gallardo, so if you're upgrading to this car it's a quick and easy acclimation process.

the NSX console looks like a computer to me, the Lamborghini interior looks like a stealth jet fighter...

The console/dash of the NSX2.0 looks the best for me, the only change that it needs is getting rid of the reflective aluminum from the steering wheel, center console/dash.

The glare of reflective surfaces is really annoying while driving during the daytime. I don't understand why some auto designers can't seem to get that one simple detail right. Maybe those designers just need to drive cars with their designs during the early morning/late afternoon when the sun is low and the sunlight hits various parts of the interior. /end rant

i fully agree, that big shifter looks like it belongs in a Charger or a Camaro. not digging the interior, the old car looked a lot better to me.

off the three i prefer the interior of the Lamborghini, it looks the most like a Supercar should. and i have driven this car so it's all quite functional and easy to navigate. most of the controls are in the exact same place they were in the Gallardo, so if you're upgrading to this car it's a quick and easy acclimation process.

the NSX console looks like a computer to me, the Lamborghini interior looks like a stealth jet fighter...

I always like the Lambo cars from the outside but the forward placement of the dash (due to the wedge profile) seems to obstruct the forward visibility compared with the NSX. I guess I'm spoiled with my car. Did you notice that when you drove the Huracan?

the LaFerrari has it covered in acceleration. the Bugatti would eventually win the race however...

http://youtu.be/O1EjXrFoOE4

- - - Updated - - -

as If things hadn't escalated enough in the last year with the 650S, new Huracan, forthcoming Audi R8, Ford GT and Ferrari 488, and then this dropped today, the new McLaren 675LT:

666 horsepower, 2700 lbs., 0 to 62 mph in 2.9 seconds, 205 mph top speed.

also around $350k...

I always like the Lambo cars from the outside but the forward placement of the dash (due to the wedge profile) seems to obstruct the forward visibility compared with the NSX. I guess I'm spoiled with my car. Did you notice that when you drove the Huracan?
Of course. That's what you get with a 45" tall car. Steepest rake windsheild of any production car.

since i never noticed any obstruction of forward visibility while driving the Huracan, i'm gonna say no. and i drove my NSX to and from the track for reference...

audi-r8-2017-6_653.jpg

The interior of the new R8 looks like it belongs in a luxury sedan, not a super car. There's no swooping center console like you find on McLaren, Huracan, or NSX. And that huge shift lever looks like something found in a family sedan. While it looks tasteful and modern, it's definitely a less sporty looking design than the original R8. I'm not a fan of this synthesis of luxury sedan meets sports car, but since the Audi ethos is firmly rooted in the luxury sedan market this isn't entirely surprising.

Ironically the overall vibe of the NSX interior looks far closer to that of the Huracan than its true sibling the R8 does...

2010-audi-r8-2011-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-2010-porsche-911-audi-interior.jpg

Most details are better than the first gen. I agree with the big shifter critque. I think color combo of the reveal mellows down the drama of interior also. I never viewed the R8 to have a dynamically sporty interior considering the nature of what we argued about with the R8 with having Audi family design cues.

The console/dash of the NSX2.0 looks the best for me, the only change that it needs is getting rid of the reflective aluminum from the steering wheel, center console/dash.

I agree the aluminum should be darker or less shiny. I prefer the gunmetal/black of the original NSX interior color.

Audi interior: Ugly as hell. Shifter fit for a ham fisted German.
Lambo interior: Nice and racey but so many buttons and switches.
Nsx interior: Purfect in my eyes. Well placed controls, less buttons, and always loved how the chassis supports are left bare with the interior incorporated around it. Genius.

since i never noticed any obstruction of forward visibility while driving the Huracan, i'm gonna say no. and i drove my NSX to and from the track for reference...

Ok thanks. Just to clarify, I didn't mean to suggest there was something in the way of your view. But just that the dash and hood are so far in front of the driver's eyes that it can start to feel like your are looking out of a gun slit. A good analogy would be like looking out of a window up close or from a further distance away. Same window size but visibility is completely different.

Assuming you agree with this, did you notice it much as you were driving?

Last edited:
But just that the dash and hood are so far in front of the driver's eyes that it can start to feel like your are looking out of a gun slit. A good analogy would be like looking out of a window up close or from a further distance away. Same window size but visibility is completely different.

Assuming you agree with this, did you notice it much as you were driving?

it may be that i'm used to the flat windscreen of Lambo's to be honest, but i find the visibility to be no problem. i don't think it's as extreme as your analogy? i'll pay more attention next time. the fact that i didn't notice would mean it wasn't too obvious if at all...

.....the NSX console looks like a computer to me, the Lamborghini interior looks like a stealth jet fighter...

I've worked in the Aero Space and Defense for 4 years and I find that comparison insulting and rather cheap.

Where is the resemblance of a car interior to a F35 interior?

3-3.jpg

When most people think "stealth jet", they probably evoke images in their mind of the F 117A. The angles/shapes of the Huracan interior do resemble somewhat the shapes of the exterior of the jet, however there is no similarity to the cockpit whatsoever. When I made reference to the Tesla Model S similarity to an F35 it should be obvious that I was referring to the information screen, not the steering wheel and pedals. Remember your question was "where is the resemblance of a car interior to an F35 interior?" Albeit, that is the only similarity. :smile:

whoa, evidently you get seriously offended very easily for absolutely no reason. obviously a war plane and an Italian car interior have no similarities whatsoever. literally neither does an actual lap top and the new NSX interior. it was just a comment comparing two passenger car's interiors, definitely no need to get upset or insulted.

why have any issues at all, really?

R8 guys, do you recommend manual or R-tronic? I have always been a manual guy but I know all the new supercars are auto.

R8 guys, do you recommend manual or R-tronic? I have always been a manual guy but I know all the new supercars are auto.

My understanding is that the older R-tronic is not too good, the newer version (2014+) is much improved

Back