• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2nd Generation R8 vs NSX

there are quite a few people on this forum who have owned several NSX's in their day, and also several R8's as well. I personally know of several, so they're highly qualified to speak on behalf of both cars. there are also a few guys that have one of each in their garage as we speak. and then there are others who have logged significant seat time and experience in both NSX's and R8's, such as myself. I have owned two NSX's and driven dozens of R8's on both road and track. so even though this is an NSX forum, there is a lot of knowledge about the current model R8 also, along with quite a lot of other vehicles.

you are right, both the new model NSX and R8 are unknown quantities at this time. and that is the purpose of this thread, to discuss both of these particular machines as they will likely be each other's closest and most direct competition.

you're not the only one, but just try and keep the insults and brand bashing to a minimum and join in the convo when you have something to add. simple as that...

- - - Updated - - -

and for the sake of getting us back on track, here's the car I wish they would have made...

there are quite a few people on this forum who have owned several NSX's in their day, and also several R8's as well. I personally know of several, so they're highly qualified to speak on behalf of both cars. there are also a few guys that have one of each in their garage as we speak. and then there are others who have logged significant seat time and experience in both NSX's and R8's, such as myself. I have owned two NSX's and driven dozens of R8's on both road and track. so even though this is an NSX forum, there is a lot of knowledge about the current model R8 also, along with quite a lot of other vehicles.

you are right, both the new model NSX and R8 are unknown quantities at this time. and that is the purpose of this thread, to discuss both of these particular machines as they will likely be each other's closest and most direct competition.

you're not the only one, but just try and keep the insults and brand bashing to a minimum and join in the convo when you have something to add. simple as that...

- - - Updated - - -

and for the sake of getting us back on track, here's the car I wish they would have made...

Thank you fastaussie for not calling me weird, stupid, or racist. As I am neither of the 3. Quite a nice guy here. I have no Facebook page at all because I have no time for it. Now I see why social media becomes addictive. It's a mishmash of opinions, ideas, and personalities that run free and ramped. The R8 in your picture looks stunning. Guys who own both, I know it takes time to review but I would love to read your threads. Please post them.
I will restrain my abrasive personality. It's a Jersey thing.:smile:
From a car guy to many others, gimme a mulligan please.

Thank you fastaussie for not calling me weird, stupid, or racist. As I am neither of the 3. Quite a nice guy here. I have no Facebook page at all because I have no time for it. Now I see why social media becomes addictive. It's a mishmash of opinions, ideas, and personalities that run free and ramped. The R8 in your picture looks stunning. Guys who own both, I know it takes time to review but I would love to read your threads. Please post them.
I will restrain my abrasive personality. It's a Jersey thing.:smile:
From a car guy to many others, gimme a mulligan please.

Jinks
Great post!
We all need mulligans from time to time.
Looking forward to future posts

Jinks
Great post!
We all need mulligans from time to time.
Looking forward to future posts
Thank you JD cross. I never meant to attack you or anyone else here. Thanks for your understanding.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, back to topic guys. Any more pics of that R8 you posted fastaussie?

Too bad. That's a really hot looking car.

The 2016 Audi R8 is a disaster, and I'm an R8 owner. They really messed up the look IMO. Most notably the side blades.
How does your current r8 drive? I'd love to hear about that. Plus I agree. They put a v10 in a Volkswagen beetle.

The 2016 Audi R8 is a disaster, and I'm an R8 owner. They really messed up the look IMO. Most notably the side blades.

I'm glad an R8 owner can admit it. While I'm not a fan of either R8's looks, the first one looks better definitely. The new R8 does have more power tho...

- - - Updated - - -

sounds like the new R8 is a sick ride, and awesome everyday Supercar (as was the first generation):

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/audi/r8-v10-plus/first-drives/2015-audi-r8-v10-plus-review

i like the sound of a naturally aspirated V10 with an 8700 rpm redline. if it sounds anything like the Huracan... :smile:

It's hard to argue with that V10. They seem to be a dying breed in this climate also...

I'm glad an R8 owner can admit it. While I'm not a fan of either R8's looks, the first one looks better definitely. The new R8 does have more power tho...

It's hard to argue with that V10. They seem to be a dying breed in this climate also...

ShytKicker is talking about the looks of the car, which is highly subjective. personally, i don't like the looks of the new R8 or the NSX either, but that's just me. the car itself, it's drivetrain, running gear, mechanics and functionality are all going to be much improved over the last R8. of that there is no debating.

i've driven that V10, it is simply astonishing and sounds delicious..

My buddy that sold me my NSX got a R8 V10 'vert.

He said that a reflashed ECU takes the V-10 to 600HP. I kinda wonder if that is what the new R8 V-10 has... old tech - reflashed ECU.

From my brief reading, new Huracan and R8 5.2 V10 is substantially different from the first gens:

http://beta.motortrend.com/news/2015-lamborghini-huracan-18-things-you-didnt-know/

The new V10 engine is more efficient across the powerband, revs faster, and is 11% more fuel efficient also. I do not think the previous gen V10 can compete.

The new DCT is better. It has EPS, and can transfer up to 100% of it's power to the rear wheels like the GTR along with magnetorheological suspension and many other electronic goodies.

The new package on an engineering perspective is vastly better and more advance for better or worse.

From my brief reading, new Huracan and R8 5.2 V10 is substantially different from the first gens:

http://beta.motortrend.com/news/2015-lamborghini-huracan-18-things-you-didnt-know/

The new V10 engine is more efficient across the powerband, revs faster, and is 11% more fuel efficient also. I do not think the previous gen V10 can compete.

The new DCT is better. It has EPS, and can transfer up to 100% of it's power to the rear wheels like the GTR along with magnetorheological suspension and many other electronic goodies.

The new package on an engineering perspective is vastly better and more advance for better or worse.

all correct, and the power can be transferred 100% to the front wheels also, not just the rear.

the engine is quite impressive in a lot of ways. when not under load it also shuts down one entire cylinder bank to save fuel, and alternates
back and forth to keep everything running as it should.

i'm not a fan of the styling, and especially that Gawd Aweful shifter, but it's still going to be one hell of a car...

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. and for anyone who hasn't driven a Huracan. well, you just don't know then. that engine sets the current standard for scary fast and instant thrust.

all correct, and the power can be transferred 100% to the front wheels also, not just the rear.

the engine is quite impressive in a lot of ways. when not under load it also shuts down one entire cylinder bank to save fuel, and alternates
back and forth to keep everything running as it should.

i'm not a fan of the styling, and especially that Gawd Aweful shifter, but it's still going to be one hell of a car...

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. and for anyone who hasn't driven a Huracan. well, you just don't know then. that engine sets the current standard for scary fast and instant thrust.

And for those of you who think Car and Driver's opinion is what counts (like me), they have the NSX ranked ahead of the new R8 V10 in Premium Sports Cars. Not a bad start for a pre-production sampling of the NSX.

Back