• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"300" The Movie

Saw it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm sure it really loses a bit of it's punch if you don't understand the history of Thermoplyea.

Cliffs: Thermoplyea caused the Greek City-States to unite like never before. And although Xerxes burnt Athens to the ground, the united Greek state eventually turned Xerxes around (Salamis) and attacked Persia itself.

This is the Greece that has shaped the foundation of Western Civilization's ideas of freedom and reason (at the very least). W/o Thermoplyea there is no Greece. And there is no Thermoplyea w/o Leonidas.

See...one person really can change the world. :)

The movie was amazing. One of the best I have seen in years. Top 10 visually for sure!

The comment about going after sparta is funny. Do you think there going to attack sparta's 10k men army and have the 300 behind them traping them in.....

The movie was amazing. One of the best I have seen in years. Top 10 visually for sure!

The comment about going after sparta is funny. Do you think there going to attack sparta's 10k men army and have the 300 behind them traping them in.....

Lets be realistic, the 300 men were only successful because they were at the gap. If the Xerxes army went around them and after Sparta, those 300 men aren't going to do much if they don't have the strategic advantage of the gap.

Come on, you guys are talking about the historical value of a movie that had men riding attack dinosaurs and giants with blades for hands.

Lets be realistic, the 300 men were only successful because they were at the gap. If the Xerxes army went around them and after Sparta, those 300 men aren't going to do much if they don't have the strategic advantage of the gap.

Come on, you guys are talking about the historical value of a movie that had men riding attack dinosaurs and giants with blades for hands.

:biggrin: :biggrin: ROFLMAO !!! you must be kidding, right !!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

:biggrin: :biggrin: ROFLMAO !!! you must be kidding, right !!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

I figured you were the one kidding about Xerxes being 'trapped' between Sparta and 300 guys if they took the goat pass! I even looked at a map, Sparta appears to have been over 100 miles from the gap. I love how 300 guys walk 100 miles with only their breeches and cloaks. No supply lines, only the apples they carry in their pockets for food and fight for 3 days.

Again, great visuals, but the story as far as portrayed in the movie? HA! I'm sure it's a great story in the books. I may even read up on it.

I just can't wait to see it... At least I can't wait for a Bluray/HD-DVD release and unleash its visual potential!! :smile:

I have watched that trailer 20 times now, so pumped up I am lost of words...

enlighten me, when did the rhinoceros get classified as a dinosaur?

I figured you were the one kidding about Xerxes being 'trapped' between Sparta and 300 guys if they took the goat pass! I even looked at a map, Sparta appears to have been over 100 miles from the gap. I love how 300 guys walk 100 miles with only their breeches and cloaks. No supply lines, only the apples they carry in their pockets for food and fight for 3 days.

Again, great visuals, but the story as far as portrayed in the movie? HA! I'm sure it's a great story in the books. I may even read up on it.
300 is loosely based upon fact.

I caught part of a History Channel 2 hours special on 300 the movie and the real story. The real Spartans apparently wore bronze body armor, not the bare abdomens shown by Hollywood. The bronze body armor helped to deflect some of the arrows because the arrows were at the end of their effective range.

This movie is so far from reality it's not even funny.

enlighten me, when did the rhinoceros get classified as a dinosaur?

At first I thought triceratops, then another shot of the head it looked like a rhino, but the body looked more like a dinosaur than it did a rhino and it was a lot larger than a rhino (then again the elephants weren't exactly normal sized either). I could be persuaded either way.

300 is loosely based upon fact.

I caught part of a History Channel 2 hours special on 300 the movie and the real story. The real Spartans apparently wore bronze body armor, not the bare abdomens shown by Hollywood. The bronze body armor helped to deflect some of the arrows because the arrows were at the end of their effective range.

This movie is so far from reality it's not even funny.

its a movie thats the point. They take what happened in real life and add to everything to make it more appealing.

Ick gad, if one cannot understand that the movie is a cinematic view of the graphic novel - of which is, indeed, loosely based on fact - then, I give up.

However, many points and even statements are virtually verbatim as told by history. I found Miller's interpretation of Ephialtes (the deformed hunchback traitor) really interesting. His deformation is symbolic of his traitorous act. To this day, his name in Greek literally translates "nightmare."

FWIW, I was in San Antonio this last week and visited the Alamo for an hour or so. I didn't know this before but as I read the memorial inscriptions, I saw this:

"Thermopylae had her messenger of defeat-the Alamo had none."

Last edited:
Just saw this at the IMax yesterday. Definitely a must-see! We got there an hour early and there were still a number of people lined up before us.

Yes, it is "loosely" base on factual historical events but just take it for what it's worth - a visually stunning masterpiece. On a side note, I need to up my ab routine.:wink: :biggrin:

Just like that review said, this is a Kick Ass Movie that Kicks Ass!!

And just take it for what it is, a Movie, it's not a documentary. oh yeah, a movie that kicks ass!!

that movie makes me want to keep a spear in my nsx trunk =)

by the way... best smack talking quote ever... 484 BC... "Their arrows blot out the sun! meh then We'll fight in the Shade" Dieneces

Last edited:
and for some reason I thought Trojans were tough. Sparta, that's where the money's at.

Good stuff:

20070312.jpg

spartamechanicpt6.jpg

Back