• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

3M Clear bra opinions

A friend of mine did it on a 370z. I know that it is hard to install. It is like doing window tint (You either can, or can't). His came out kind of ehhhh...

Then of course getting it installed by someone who is a pro is a few thousand dollars. A few sponsors on L4P.com do some good clear bra work and are in your area...

I'm also in the market for a clear bra. I believe folks on the web (and on Prime for that matter) prefer VentureShield for longevity against anti-yellowing. Would like to hear more comments though.

I found these guys use to be active on Prime. I've emailed them but no response. Did not call yet though...
http://www.detailingdynamics.com/Images/NSXPO2004.pdf

It appears the pros apply the vinyl wrap, then custom trim them to size.

With the ebay kit, the pieces are already cut to size, which may or may not make things easier. Judging from the picture of the NSX kit, the hardest part appears to be the front bumper, but since its already pre-cut, installation could be fairly straight forward.

What do you think?

I hear that Venture Shield is owned by 3M now and supposedly, the newer 3M kits have gotten a lot better with the hazing issues.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqUOKj0E1)D72DPgBNrvidL4i!~~_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqUOKj0E1)D72DPgBNrvidL4i!~~_12.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 138
These guys did mine:

http://www.starshieldarmor.com/

Good job, very happy with the results. I went with the stock pattern since at the time I didn't know I had options...

Tony (if he's still there, is the lead installer) said, "just let me know in the future when you want to replace it and I can do a full custom job for you: full hood, rocker panels, rear wing..."

To my knowledge, these guys install all the factory Lotus clear bras in SoCal.

Last edited:
I'm also in the market for a clear bra. I believe folks on the web (and on Prime for that matter) prefer VentureShield for longevity against anti-yellowing. Would like to hear more comments though.

I found these guys use to be active on Prime. I've emailed them but no response. Did not call yet though...
http://www.detailingdynamics.com/Images/NSXPO2004.pdf

Detailing dynamics did the clearbra on my car. (well the stuff that wasnt there when i bought it) they are great and have a big history.

RYU if you call talk to Eddie and mention me Mike with the silver nsx.

149141_455461897495_502842495_5584729_204742_n.jpg

36797_419226617495_502842495_4902336_5010327_n.jpg

You might want to look into an Xpel kit as they are known for having the best patterns in the industry. Here in Nashville, I had mine installed by Lane Naiquin at Performance Films and he did a great job. Had the entire front end of the car done, including fenders, mirrors, A-pillars, even that 2" strip of roof over the windshield. Set me back $1100 and worth every penny especially when a rock the size of a tennis ball flew into my bumper and didn't leave a scratch, dent, de nada.

Does anyone recently have any reviews of various paint protection film options? I'm not in California, otherwise I'd probably go with star shield. I hear 3M has changed their materials and warranty?

I'm looking to get the full front bumper, headlights, and maybe hood done as well.

I had XPel Ultimate installed on mine. Looks and works great. My only complaint is the cost! I'm sure it varies a bit depending on your installer, but mine was close to $3K for complete front, side mirrors, rocker panels, and leading edge part of the roof. Crazy price for some plastic installed, but I guess it is what it is.

I’ve had Xpel self healing on my car for over two years and have had no problems. I decided when I bought my Imola Orange Pearl car that the paint was worth protecting with the best. And IMO Xpel is the best. And they back up their product extremely well.
I have the whole hood, front bumper, both headlights, both front fenders back to the doors, the rocker panels from front to rear, the A-pillars, the roof, the rear wing, the mirrors, the edges of the intakes and the section behind the door handles covered.

Pros:
It’s clearer than other films.
It’s a little thicker than other films.
It’s self healing. If it gets scratched from dusting or washing it will heal itself in the sun or with warm water.<o:p></o
It has a 10 year warranty. I got hit by a golf ball size rock on the hood that cut the film but didn’t get the paint and Xpel replaced the whole hood film, no questions asked.
It won’t cloud up or yellow over time.
The film is low maintenance.
You can wash and wax it just like the rest of the car as long the soap and wax is clear and leaves no residue. Though, they have a cleaner that you should use every few months to remove any impurities or stains from the film.

Cons:
It’s more expensive.
The way I look at it, my car is my dream car so if it takes a little longer to save for the best products to protect it or help its performance, then it’s worth it. I hope this helps you.

Last edited:
I’ve had Xpel self healing on my car for over two years and have had no problems. I decided when I bought my Imola Orange Pearl car that the paint was worth protecting with the best. And IMO Xpel is the best. And they back up their product extremely well.
I have the whole hood, front bumper, both headlights, both front fenders back to the doors, the rocker panels from front to rear, the A-pillars, the roof, the rear wing, the mirrors, the edges of the intakes and the section behind the door handles covered.

Pros:
It’s clearer than other films.
It’s a little thicker than other films.
It’s self healing. If it gets scratched from dusting or washing it will heal itself in the sun or with warm water.<o:p></o
It has a 10 year warranty. I got hit by a golf ball size rock on the hood that cut the film but didn’t get the paint and Xpel replaced the whole hood film, no questions asked.
It won’t cloud up or yellow over time.
The film is low maintenance.
You can wash and wax it just like the rest of the car as long the soap and wax is clear and leaves no residue. Though, they have a cleaner that you should use every few months to remove any impurities or stains from the film.

Cons:
It’s more expensive.
The way I look at it, my car is my dream car so if it takes a little longer to save for the best products to protect it or help its performance, then it’s worth it. I hope this helps you.

That sounds about like what I had done on my car, except for the complete roof and the rear wing. Can I ask how much it cost you?

Last edited:
That sounds about like what I had done on my car, except for the complete roof and the rear wing. Can I ask how much it cost you?

Sorry I won't give that out as each shop is a little different. But, I got a real good deal (it wasn't free) because Xpel uses my car for ads, car shows and at NSXPO. Xpel is head quartered here in San Antonio and I chose them after seeing the great work that they did on a friend's car. So, because of my car's color (Imola Orange Pearl) and the way it shows the clarity of the film and I drive it so the film gets tested real world in the process, Xpel asked if they could use it. A win/win situation I guess. They are also a vendor here on Prime and provide support for the NSX community and NSXPO.

All of that said, if I didn't like the performance of the film and Xpel's customer service I would be using another form of protection. Anyone who knows me and my enthusiasm for my car, knows I will save a little longer if need be to get what I feel is the best for my dream car and I didn't buy it to be a garage queen so it needs protected.

Ah... I understand. I'm sure it was much more bearable with your good deal with Xpel. For me, it was big time saving a lot longer to be able to absorb the cost of the Xpel install. Don't get me wrong, I love it and the protection it gives! It's just really really expensive in my book.

I paid full price for the hood, fenders, headlights, mirrors and bumper. It is definitely more expensive. The rest was discounted in exchange for Xpel's use of my car. However, I waited over twenty years to be able to get my NSX and I plan on keeping it and more importantly driving it. To me, it's an expensive and very rare car so I'm not doing anything on the cheap. Plus, Imola Orange Pearl is almost impossible to match with touch up paint. My goal is that in 15 years or so the car will have 300K miles on it, I want it to look as good as it does now.

Back