• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

4C vs. NSX

The 4C is drop-dead gorgeous. But it will punish your backside and your wallet. It IS, after all, an Alpha. At least it will take longer for the carbon fiber monocoque to rust than, say, a Giulia. (If I sound bitter it's because I've never had the pleasure of driving an Alpha of any type.)

Having returned home and driven my NSX, it was a shock how much I got the sensation that it was made of rubber compared to the 4C. Even with my coilovers near full stiff, as for autocross, my NSX has a very different feel. I believe the 4C was wearing 205/40-18 & 235/35-19, as standard on the launch edition, so it's not like it has super short sidewalls or anything.

Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but I have a new appreciation for the progress of technology.

They seem very skinny to me. Maybe the PDF spec sheet I looked up was wrong. They are, however, the sizes listed on Wikipedia too. It's a very light car.

Last edited:
They seem so weird! Maybe you're right but 235 at the rear?!

I'm a member of the ALfa Romeo Club of Southern California (AROSC). I participate in all of their time trials. Generally one 4c shows up at some of the AROSC TT's. In my moderately modified 97 NSX (aero & suspension mods), I have recorded slightly slower times than one of the 4c' at willow Springs (The 4c recorded a 1:46,544 and I recorded a 1:47.207). I have since improved my time at Willow Springs to 1:44.343. I have been tracking my car for two years now. I'm no longer a novice driver, but far from being an advanced driver. I don't know the owner of the 4C and his track experience level. If the 4C is a faster track car, then I would guess he is a novice level driver.Note: one of the 4c's last year took turn 3 at Willow Springs too hot, over steered and hit the wall. The driver was OK, but the front end was in splinters. The car is back in action this year. However, I would like to know how much it cost to replace the damaged carbon fiber body parts.

Last edited:
[MENTION=28830]jwmelvin[/MENTION] - here's a late reply to your comment about how the NSX felt "made of rubber" vs the 4c.

I agree that this is an area where the industry has taken huge strides. In this forum we often talk about the stiffness differences between the fixed-roof and targa NSX. But compared to modern sports cars, they both feel like wet noodles in certain circumstances. My S2000 feels much, much stiffer. Even my Mercedes GLE feels stiffer. I suppose it is good to see some technical strides to offset the many disadvantages of more modern cars.

I'd still rather drive my NSX any day!

[MENTION=30265]BamaFan[/MENTION] - yes indeed. My brother moved to Italy and left his 4C with me for safekeeping so I've been driving it from time to time. It really is a fantastic car but, on the street, I do miss the more-centered approach of my NSX after about a week in the 4C.

On track, I'd almost for sure pick the 4C but I have only autocrossed it. In autocross I am vastly more in tune with my NSX and therefore much faster in it. The turbo spool time was a significant factor for me getting behind the 4C, along with the need to shift because I ran out of 2nd gear.

While many modern cars do have many disadvantages--often a big increase in weight to go with the stiffness--the 4C has few of them. I don't know of a more-enjoyable-to-drive, currently sold car around its price point.

I instructed an Open Track Day student who brought his 4C. Cool car, but in my view it would be better compared to a S2000 than a NSX. On track, it actually felt quite a bit like a S2000, other than the lower-revving turbo engine's dynamics. One thing I found to be odd, the front 'hood' (although it looks like it should be able to) does not open. Adding a little coolant was fun, as what we really needed was a turkey baster or an oddly-shaped funnel. We ended up fashioning one out of a water bottle. No such problems exist with a S2000, I can assure you ;^D

[MENTION=20267]sca037[/MENTION], can you further explain? I say that I would prefer a 4C on track to a (stock) NSX because, for example, the lightness goes a long way in that situation. As do the superior brakes. And the quicker, more-direct steering (as compared to EPS in an NSX). I would call the 4C more akin to an Exige, a car I have driven on track and find quite different from the NSX. In that sense, I agree with what I think may be your point that the NSX and 4C are not equivalents.

And yes, it's inconvenient at best to have to remove a grate and use a funnel to fill the wiper fluid. The car does come with a bag of funnels, which (along with the manual) takes up a significant portion of the trunk. It's an odd little beast.

Yes, you understand my point.....that the 4C on-track experience is more like the S2000 (and Exige) than the NSX. The Alfa is a cool little car, but I still prefer our AP1 S2000 over it.

Back