• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

500 is the new 400

+1 me too. I don't care how good the warranty experience is; I'd prefer not to have a warranty issue in the first place.

I think in theory you're correct and I'd love to see a truly lightweight car where 480 horsepower is more than enough. However, given the fact that this car is going to have modern amenities, full airbags, all wheel drive and a dual electric motor + turbocharged engine powertrain, likely with a dual clutch unit of some sort, tells me that this car is going to be anything but light. All of these things weigh tens and hundreds of pounds, and together the car will be well north of 3,000 lbs. The 12C uses a full carbon tub and still weighs in over 3k pounds, and it doesn't have some hybrid drivetrain to lug around. If the NSX was going to be a tiny car like the F1 it could potentially weigh less, but it's going to be 3300, 3400, 3500 pounds and the laws of physics will need 500++ combined horsepower for it to compete

The recent offerings from Nissan, Corvette, McLaren have pushed all of the competition up considerably over the past decade. All of these cars have distinctive design, thorough engineering and build quality, superb performance and reliability, simply because they can't afford not to.

I can understand the realistic approach to the projected curb weight. It'll probably be closer to 3500 lbs than the 3200 lbs that is the supposed target, but one can be optimistic considering the NSX-R or Type S even, ~15 years ago were ~2800 lbs. Add 350-400 lbs of hybrid = ~3200 lbs. It's possible.

The natural progression of all newer models are expected. I never said modern cars are still stuck back in the 90s or whatever. Things are going to get better over the years, but what I am referring to are the finer details. Dodge/Chrysler for example, kept their spare tire location in the most asinine location ever for the longest time for their vans. To access their spare tire requires jacking the rear up (regardless if the flat is up front) and hoping the locking mechanism is not corroded from being exposed to outside elements. These are modern vehicles that are still arriving with poorly designed products.

Distinctive designs (looks) and actual craftsmanship are two different things. I personally feel Acura/Honda generally has higher levels of craftsmanship compared to say Infiniti, Cadillac, Lexus, or Audi, especially in the interior department. That's my personal assessment. I could care less about the fancy cupholder the new luxury car has or how many buttons it has to control various features. I'm not talking about exterior designs that are preceded by platform choices, aka the stubborn FF layout that Honda keeps trying to perfect. Almost all Hondas are never going to look super sporty if they don't have a staggered RWD platform to begin with...

Back