• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

5000 mile update of my Lovefab Turbo system w/ dyno

Hey Brandon,
If you are going to drive your classic Mini @ the track you need to get it out of Cali first. I have been driving mine for a week, even to an NSX club meeting. Cheers, Shad:smile:[/

Shad,

It's funny you mention it because I just called him on Thursday to see if he was still motivated. Even though it's going to cost a lot to restore the car I am sure it is near the bottom of his priority list since he can make more money on minor repairs and engine building. I cannot wait until it is done the suspense is killing me. :biggrin:

Hey Brandon,
If you are going to drive your classic Mini @ the track you need to get it out of Cali first. I have been driving mine for a week, even to an NSX club meeting. Cheers, Shad:smile:[/

Shad,

It's funny you mention it because I just called him on Thursday to see if he was still motivated. Even though it's going to cost a lot to restore the car I am sure it is near the bottom of his priority list since he can make more money on minor repairs and engine building. I cannot wait until it is done the suspense is killing me. :biggrin:

Old school mini's. They are never going to get old!

J. R.

What are you guys doing to the fuel delivery system on boosted cars? I assume you are changing to larger injectors but what about the fuel pump, rail and lines?

I ask because I found that I needed to upgrade all of those items when I went over 400 hp on my 944 turbo GT3 car. With the wide tires and suspension I also needed a fuel surge tank to insure that I didn't uncover the fuel pickup in the tank, one of those 'go bang' things.

Nice car Brandon!

brandonson said:
Well I just thought I would share this with everyone. I have 5000 miles on my Lovefab Turbo System and I have NOT had one problem in almost a year of ownership with this system.

It has been a pleasure working with you Brandon and I can't wait until you build the bottom end! I put on over 9,000 miles on my stock motor with the turbo kit before deciding to build the engine for more power capability.

On that note - we are approaching the 50,000 mile mark between all the kits currently on the road (Woody is in the lead with almost 15,000 miles :eek:).

What are you guys doing to the fuel delivery system on boosted cars? I assume you are changing to larger injectors but what about the fuel pump, rail and lines?

I ask because I found that I needed to upgrade all of those items when I went over 400 hp on my 944 turbo GT3 car. With the wide tires and suspension I also needed a fuel surge tank to insure that I didn't uncover the fuel pickup in the tank, one of those 'go bang' things.

Nice car Brandon!

Factory lines and rails with an in-tank 255 Walbro replacement pump have reliably supported our customers in the 500 - 550 WHP range.

We spec 750cc injectors for our turbo systems producing up to 550whp and spec larger injectors for higher goals.

I am presently running 1000cc injectors in my personal car and will in all likelyhood be upgrading to 1600cc by summers-end as the numbers continue to inflate :biggrin:

It has been a pleasure working with you Brandon and I can't wait until you build the bottom end! I put on over 9,000 miles on my stock motor with the turbo kit before deciding to build the engine for more power capability.

On that note - we are approaching the 50,000 mile mark between all the kits currently on the road (Woody is in the lead with almost 15,000 miles :eek:).

Factory lines and rails with an in-tank 255 Walbro replacement pump have reliably supported our customers in the 500 - 550 WHP range.

Cody,

It has been a pleasure working with you as well. When dealing with aftermarket vendors my expectations have always been high since I used to modify Acuras (NSX, RSX Integra etc) at a Acura dealer I used to work for. You exceeded my expectations in product quality and communication. You always called me throughout the fabrication process. I felt like I never had to call you and considering my car was your 1st NSX I was VERY imperessed to say the least.

Congrats on a beautiful car and a great setup! I wish you the best of luck. Boost is a long expensive road to travel! Thats why ill probably keep my NSX stock when i pick mine up. Ive already spent Tons of money on my turbo accord so i know its probably going to be double or even triple that amount to do an NSX the right way!

Congrats on a beautiful car and a great setup! I wish you the best of luck. Boost is a long expensive road to travel! Thats why ill probably keep my NSX stock when i pick mine up. Ive already spent Tons of money on my turbo accord so i know its probably going to be double or even triple that amount to do an NSX the right way!

Thanks, BTW I like your sig. I feel like I have the monkey on my back and I can't stop thinking of the low compression engine build.

Thanks, BTW I like your sig. I feel like I have the monkey on my back and I can't stop thinking of the low compression engine build.

I know exactly what you mean. Power is addictive and youll always want more. Im pushing a little over 400whp on my car and i already want more!

Cody,

I have been a big fan of your work for a long time, I think that your story is a great one and I wish you continued success.

My question for you (and any other turbo vendors out there) is what makes your kit more "reliable" than any other? It seems to me that boost is boost, and assuming charge temps are controlled, I fail to see how exhaust plumbing is going to make a huge difference.

Unless by reliablility you mean "Not cracking heads/exhaust"

Thanks,

Dylan

Cody,

I have been a big fan of your work for a long time, I think that your story is a great one and I wish you continued success.

My question for you (and any other turbo vendors out there) is what makes your kit more "reliable" than any other? It seems to me that boost is boost, and assuming charge temps are controlled, I fail to see how exhaust plumbing is going to make a huge difference.

Unless by reliablility you mean "Not cracking heads/exhaust"

Thanks,

Dylan
I think that design, craftsmanship, quality of materials and customer service, customer service, and oh yeah...customer service set him apart.

I think that design, craftsmanship, quality of materials and customer service, customer service, and oh yeah...customer service set him apart.

Woody,

Thanks for the repsonse, but this isnt really an answer. I guess I am just trying to understand what the difference between the HP turbo kit and the Love-fab turbo kit is.

If it is quality of craftsmanship, right on, but if there is something more substantial than that, I would love to hear it.

Dylan

Woody,

Thanks for the repsonse, but this isnt really an answer. I guess I am just trying to understand what the difference between the HP turbo kit and the Love-fab turbo kit is.

If it is quality of craftsmanship, right on, but if there is something more substantial than that, I would love to hear it.

Dylan

The difference is craftsmanship and engineering. I could give you a list of pros with the Lovefab kit but I think you should let Cody explain everything. I do not want to give away any of his trade secrets on this forum.

The difference is craftsmanship and engineering. I could give you a list of pros with the Lovefab kit but I think you should let Cody explain everything. I do not want to give away any of his trade secrets on this forum.

Thank you for your response. I look forward to Cody's answer.

From the start, we designed our kit to equal the quality and craftsmanship of the NSX itself. Attention to the smallest of details is the biggest reason our kit stands out from the rest - perfect fitment, material quality (only TIG welded stainless steel and aluminum), craftsmanship, the absolute best mechanical parts available, and proper efficiency just to name a few. A ton of time and money was spent testing various configurations while paying very close attention to performance, proper heat dissipation, sound quality, hot and cold component routing, airflow characteristics, and most importantly – durability.

There are a couple of other kits that are available now and a few coming to market soon that are meant for the budget minded buyer. I applaud those companies for their efforts and ambition to make a few bucks, but they just don’t have the track record we do. As a buyer, if you think that a few thousand miles and a couple track events is worth the risk of saving a couple thousand dollars, then by all means write a check and cross your fingers. How many kits have they produced? How many customers are on the road? Do the exhaust tips line up (as silly as this sounds, it probably makes me the most mad when I see small details like this ignored)? Are you a beta tester?

Put an NSX with our kit and an NSX with any of the other kits available onto a lift and the differences in the little details, efficiency, quality, and fitment will be very very apparent.

From the start, we designed our kit to equal the quality and craftsmanship of the NSX itself. Attention to the smallest of details is the biggest reason our kit stands out from the rest - perfect fitment, material quality (only TIG welded stainless steel and aluminum), craftsmanship, the absolute best mechanical parts available, and proper efficiency just to name a few. A ton of time and money was spent testing various configurations while paying very close attention to performance, proper heat dissipation, sound quality, hot and cold component routing, airflow characteristics, and most importantly – durability.

There are a couple of other kits that are available now and a few coming to market soon that are meant for the budget minded buyer. I applaud those companies for their efforts and ambition to make a few bucks, but they just don’t have the track record we do. As a buyer, if you think that a few thousand miles and a couple track events is worth the risk of saving a couple thousand dollars, then by all means write a check and cross your fingers. How many kits have they produced? How many customers are on the road? Do the exhaust tips line up (as silly as this sounds, it probably makes me the most mad when I see small details like this ignored)? Are you a beta tester?

Put an NSX with our kit and an NSX with any of the other kits available onto a lift and the differences in the little details, efficiency, quality, and fitment will be very very apparent.

On this note I could have saved thousands going with a couple of the alternatives but one thing I notice in the aftermarket is that everyone is trying to save a buck. The problem with a majority of American consumers is that we buy a price instead of value. Most people do not compare apples to apples, instead we compare apples to oranges.

Here is a prime example: I hear this one quite a bit. "Why did you pay that much money for a car with only 290HP when you could have bought a 500 HP Viper for the same price ?"

The person that would say this doesn't think about the fact the Viper is a body on frame car (very inexpensive to produce), US factory income is lower than Japan's avg factory employee income, Viper doesn't have HID lights, the Viper has a less expensive push rod engine etc. I could go on forever on this and no offense to any Viper owners on this forum. I am just trying to make a point. Just my .02.

On this note I could have saved thousands going with a couple of the alternatives but one thing I notice in the aftermarket is that everyone is trying to save a buck. The problem with a majority of American consumers is that we buy a price instead of value. Most people do not compare apples to apples, instead we compare apples to oranges.

Here is a prime example: I hear this one quite a bit. "Why did you pay that much money for a car with only 290HP when you could have bought a 500 HP Viper for the same price ?"

The person that would say this doesn't think about the fact the Viper is a body on frame car (very inexpensive to produce), US factory income is lower than Japan's avg factory employee income, Viper doesn't have HID lights, the Viper has a less expensive push rod engine etc. I could go on forever on this and no offense to any Viper owners on this forum. I am just trying to make a point. Just my .02.

Very true. Price and value shopping are totally different. The owner of the honda/acura dealer in which im employed, has more cars than any of us can dream of. He has ferraris, porsches, countless domestics including Z06 but he somehow always drives his NSX. He just plain loves the car even tho "its only 290hp"
Heres a guy that can afford pretty much anything he wants but likes his NSX more than any other car he owns. BTW.......its yellow too!

The viper is not a body on frame car
the viper has HID lights as an option
The viper engine costs significantly more than the nsx motor
the viper outsells the NSX 10:1

When I look at Cody's kit, and the HP kit, I see no major design differences, with the exception of stainless steel headers and aluminum piping, no major material differences.

Please do not get me wrong: I am very impressed with Cody's work and I always have been, I am just trying to understand what I get for the 2x money: Aside from the "quality" aspect.

I.E, is my stock, 80k mile more MORE or LESS likely to blow up with Cody's kit, or is it the SAME risk.

When I look at Cody's kit, and the HP kit, I see no major design differences, with the exception of stainless steel headers and aluminum piping, no major material differences.

Please do not get me wrong: I am very impressed with Cody's work and I always have been, I am just trying to understand what I get for the 2x money: Aside from the "quality" aspect.

I.E, is my stock, 80k mile more MORE or LESS likely to blow up with Cody's kit, or is it the SAME risk.

It is a fiberglass body that sits on top of a steel frame .....just like a kit car . How is this not a body on frame vehicle ? When I looked underneath my freind's Viper it looked no different than my 72 or 73 Triumphs.

option is the key word here

It costs more if you are shopping through your local dealer parts deptartment but it does not cost more to produce.

It is a fiberglass body that sits on top of a steel frame .....just like a kit car . How is this not a body on frame vehicle ? When I looked underneath my freind's Viper it looked no different than my 72 or 73 Triumphs.

option is the key word here

It costs more if you are shopping through your local dealer parts deptartment but it does not cost more to produce.

Dylan,

Brandon is correct on these facts but lets not mess his thread up talking about a viper. Please PM me if you need some good viper information. I just got done twin turboing my best friends 96 viper and know the car VERY well. We can chat in private but lets not destroy brandons thread. I'll be expecting a PM from you.

J. R.

Although the basic layout may be the same, differences in tube sizing, smoothness of the bends and joints (especially at the collectors), will affect not just peak power and torque values but also spool up time and even exhaust gas pressures. Usually, a setup like the Lovefab, which addresses these small but significant issues (aka "attention to detail") is then generically glossed over as "quality" workmanship. Congrats to all.

Regards,

Danny

Back