• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91 NSX Advice

NSX is a car that I have been wanting to buy for a while but I couldn't be able to afford one until now, even that I still couldn't be able to afford a brand new one. Since NSX from 91 till now doesn't have much big difference, I'm thinking to get the used 91 model but I heard from friends and few other people that the 91 NSX is not a good car to buy. They said that the 91 NSX have some allignment problem and engine overheating problem which Honda fixed it later on for the 92 model. What I want to know, is that true? I need some advice from NSX owner. Is there any weakness for the 91 NSX or any NSX at all. I never own one but I did drove because my uncle used to have one. Sadly, he has no clue at all though about the car, that's why he couldn't help me. He has the 98 model. I have to say that I love how the car looks and handles. It's beautiful but still, I'm just a regular guy who work hard for the money so I want to know is it worth it to pick up a used NSX. Thanks a lot.

Originally posted by TypeS:
I heard from friends and few other people that the 91 NSX is not a good car to buy. They said that the 91 NSX have some allignment problem and engine overheating problem which Honda fixed it later on for the 92 model. What I want to know, is that true?

No. There is no alignment problem and no engine overheating problem.

The alignment specifications for '91-92 were changed to reduce the rate of tire wear, but any NSX can be aligned to the revised specs.

Is there any weakness for the 91 NSX or any NSX at all.

Spend some time looking through the FAQ. (Click on the word FAQ on the red bar at the top of this screen.)

The only really serious problems with the '91 are (a) the snap ring transmission problem, which only affected about 20 percent of the '91 but affected almost all of the '92, all of which can be identified by the transmission number, and (b) the windown regulator problem which is preventable with an inexpensive fix. Also most of the '91 cars are overdue for a timing belt and water pump replacement.

The other difficult part about a '91 is finding one that has been well-maintained. There are many that have not been treated well, and those that have, sell quickly.

Good luck in your search.

Take a look in the FAQ here on this site and many of your questions will be answered. What you have heard is correct but easily fixed. Yes, there was a coolant hose problem - see the TSB on this site. Yes, early cars suffered tire wear problems - the alignment specs were changed to correct this. There are other things you should know about: transmission snap-ring and air conditioning, power windows, etc. All covered pretty thoroughly in the FAQ.

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate the help, so do you guys think it's worth it for me to look for a good condition 91 model NSX or just look for the newer model instead?

do you guys think it's worth it for me to look for a good condition 91 model NSX or just look for the newer model instead?

How much do you want to spend?

If you want to spend low to mid thirties, you can get a good condition '91-92, mid to upper thirties for a '93-94.

If you want the removable roof, you can spend low to mid forties for a good condition '95-96 NSX-T.

If you want the 3.2-liter engine and six-speed, you can spend low to mid fifties for a good condition '97, more for a more recent one.

All are worth it, but only you can answer the question of which one is worth it to you.

Well, I only can spend up to mid $30's for my next car. My other choice is the S2000. I definitely want the one without removable top because it's lighter. So far I can't find any 91-92 good condition NSX, mostly the car looks like it's been into some accidents.

Well, I only can spend up to mid $30's for my next car. My other choice is the S2000. I definitely want the one without removable top because it's lighter. So far I can't find any 91-92 good condition NSX, mostly the car looks like it's been into some accidents.

I spent along time looking for mine. Don't give up. The best advise I can give you is not limit yourself to your local area. Look all around the county, if the car looks like it may be the one, then have an Acura dealer look it over, only costs about $70 for a pre-purchase inspection. If the seller isn't willing to bring it to Acura the walk away. If it comes back clean from Acura, then negotiate a price and buy a plane ticket. A plane ticket doesn't cost that much when it comes to the amount you can save buying out of town. Anyway best of luck.

------------------
1994 Red/Black NSX #418
Forums Nazi Groupie

Hendu, what proof can I get from them that they bring their car to the Acura dealer to get it inspected? Also, what if they know someone inside and trick me with the inspection? Definitely plane ticket is nothing compare to the price that I will pay for the NSX. How long it took you to find yours?

I guess you could call the dealership that he said he took it to, and then ask the person who inspected the car questions! Thats what I would do!
Good Luck
Z

You can also have it inspected by a knowledgeable local NSX owner, in addition to the dealer. Most owners wouldn't ask anything for doing so.

For reference,

I spent almost three years looking for a clean 91 with no accidents and all records and history for under 30K. I found one 1000 miles away. During my search I found several nice examples for mid 30's.

Plan to spend some time if you are really picky.

Personnaly I think you get a lot more car from a used NSX than a new S2000.

hg

Originally posted by hgunnerz:

Personnaly I think you get a lot more car from a used NSX than a new S2000.

I totally agree. The S2000 is cool, but its no NSX.

TypeS,

Although I don't live in the US myself (Holland in this case) I more or less went through the same as you are going through now. Spend a lot of time on NSXprime and asked a lot of questions. Next to the NSX I looked at Mercedes CLK, F308/328, Integra TR, Toyota MR2 but in the end always came back to the NSX. After three months I found one in Germany and after driving up and down several times finally bought and imported it. Have it a little over a month now and have no regrets at all (simply loving it).
Like you I have to work hard for the money but if the NSX is in good shape it is well worth it. That is, of course, as long as you see a car as a worthwhile investment.
The people here on NSXprime are great when it comes to helping a newcomer. The amount of knowledge here is simply huge. Next to that, from what I've read, lots of time one NSX-owner will go and take a look at a NSX for someone else.
Don't give up on the NSX, just be prepared to take your time.
Good luck with your search!

Wow, in the beginning when I started this topic, I didn't think I would get a lot of reply. Well, I'm not in any rush to get the NSX. I'm taking my time. I want to make sure I find the right NSX for myself. Thanks a lot guys for all your useful advice, I really appreciate it.

There are good 91's out there. I bought a, clean, one owner 91 with 59K miles two weeks ago. Just be ready to buy it as soon as it comes up. So have your finances in order. I live in Texas and had to go to California to get it. Saw it, drove it, bought it, that day. I was looking for about a month.

Just giving you hope...

Jonathan

Originally posted by JGuidry:
There are good 91's out there...Saw it, drove it, bought it, that day. I was looking for about a month.

Just giving you hope...

Jonathan

I'll give you even more hope...I bought a '91 Black/Black (with 105k miles) for under $30k, 30 minutes from my house after looking for exactly 1 DAY!
eek.gif
. The car is not in snap ring range and the paint is in very good condition (considering 105k miles). The 120k service had just been performed (timing belt, water pump, etc...) and the previous owner had just put on a new factory clutch! The cars are out there...you just have to keep your eyes open and your finances ready.
------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 07 June 2002).]

Hendu, what proof can I get from them that they bring their car to the Acura dealer to get it inspected? Also, what if they know someone inside and trick me with the inspection? Definitely plane ticket is nothing compare to the price that I will pay for the NSX. How long it took you to find yours?

It took me about 4 months. Its possible they "know" someone on the inside, but from the dealings I've had with Acura dealers it wouldn't be that easy (not saying its impossible). Usually there is a couple of head people in the service department (guys that have been there awhile and wouldn't risk their jobs or reps for some sllimeball used car dealer IMO). These are the guys you will talk to if you call. They will assign one of their techs that is trained to work on NSX's look at the car. This is just what I have observed at the 3 dealerships I've dealt with, it could be different elsewhere. Also, if you show the seller that you are being cautious and checking the car out before you buy, then if the car is a dog, the guy will probably know they will find problems, blow you off and find a sucker to buy the car. Then again this is just my opinion.

------------------
1994 Red/Black NSX #418
Forums Nazi Groupie

The best news about a clean 91' is the lack of depreciation vs. the others - IMO.

I bought a super clean 91' with 20k for $34.5 in Austin. Looked for about 4 months all over the country and jumped when I found it. After 5 years I have about 40k on the clock and see cars with my millage going for not much less then I purchased it for. I have many mods and might even expect to get a little more - still one of only 2 cars I have ever had that held so much value.

Better then many of my stocks over that period!

------------------
Nick Matteucci

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Not really. And it's definitely not a lot for a Honda.

True!! My '91 CRX has 175k miles on it and going strong with no engine work ever needed (other than oil changes/tuneups). I'm hoping to get at least that many miles out of the NSX (I have to believe the NSX engine is put together a little better than the CRX). And yes for all of you who are paying attention I own a '91 Black NSX & a '91 Black CRX - I kind of went with both ends of the Honda scale for that year!
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

105,000 miles? Wow, that's a lot for a car like the NSX, how's the engine condition though?

The engine runs just fine. If you do a search I believe there was a topic on this forum about high mileage NSXs.

By the way, last year a customer of ours brought in a "car like the NSX" with over 100k miles. It was a Lamborghini Diablo!!
eek.gif
(and yes I was suprised by the mileage)

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 09 June 2002).]

Diablo with 100,000 miles? Wow, that's the first time I have ever heard of that. I guess Honda cars does last long. I mean I have a 97 Honda Prelude right now with 77,000 miles and nothing wrong with the car so far even though I drive the car real hard daily. I also used to own a 89 Honda Civic SI with 155,000 miles on, race it at the track on the weekend and drive it daily, nothing really wrong with the car. I'm just thinking, if a guy have an NSX, they must love to drive it hard, I mean, NSX handle so well, it's really tough for you to drive it like it's a regular Honda/Acura then with 100,000 miles, there must be something that need to be fix due to that hard driving. Well, I'm still searching for mine, looking for it whenever I have free time. I'm also taking all you guys's advice that I shouldn't be just looking around at local area. I'm taking my time though, no rush.

Type S, there's some good feedback in the above posts. BTW, don't be afraid of a higher mileage NSX. The engine is pretty stout (it's a Honda) and any weak points are detailed in the FAQ. Take your time and enjoy the process.

I think most problems may occur from lack of driving.

[This message has been edited by Ponyboy (edited 10 June 2002).]

Back