• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

996 ($37K) vs NSX (>> $37K)

Looking around at some various sports cars for my next beast - NSX is still my emotional frontrunner, but here's one that caught my eye:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1855709987

Its a '99 996, manual, clear title, an admittedly high 47K miles, and it sold for $37K. Now, i know that you cant tell much from a single eBay ad, and this 996 seems especially cheap, but I'm seeing 996s all over the place for low-mid 40's.

Now, what would a comparable '99 NSX go for? Maybe $55K? Performance of these 2 cars is basically equal. What about quality - the 993 was excellent, approaching that of NSX, but I'm not sure about the 996, especially in their first year. But it cant be all that bad, and Porsche has a great support network.

Styling and brand name and look and all that are subjective, so lets forget those. So, anyone w/ 996 experience out there, what do you think - purely from a quality/reliability/dynamic standpoint, is the NSX really worth an extra 10 or 15 grand over a 996 of equal year/mileage? TIA!

I think the prices you're quoting are really low.

Here's what's on autotrader.com right now.

1999 996: 56 cars, average price $56,073

1999 NSX: 33 cars, average price $64,228

Since the NSX are all NSX-T, it probably makes sense to limit the 996 cars to the Cabrio and the Targa for a fairer comparison, and then the prices will probably be very close.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I think the prices you're quoting are really low.

Here's what's on autotrader.com right now.

1999 996: 56 cars, average price $56,073

1999 NSX: 33 cars, average price $64,228

Since the NSX are all NSX-T, it probably makes sense to limit the 996 cars to the Cabrio and the Targa for a fairer comparison, and then the prices will probably be very close.

The 996 cab/targa comparison is valid if you want an open top, but if you don't care (or prefer a hardtop) then the coupe is the more valid comparison. But remember - the prices I quoted were for 47K mile cars - very rare for a '99.

One of my Porsche lunatic friends says the 996 will be eventually regarded as the least desirable 911, that a replacement is right around the corner, and that the '99s are already a lot cheaper than the '98s (993). My initial searches back this up. My guess is that the 1999 quality is simply not up to par w/ the other Porsches.

Originally posted by Timbo:
the '99s are already a lot cheaper than the '98s (993). My initial searches back this up.

Not based on the cars for sale on autotrader.com

1998 993: 4 cars, average price $54,950

Interesting comparison. I, too, am a Porsche lunatic (I like that term!) and may have some insight about the pricing. Your friend is correct about the 911 overhaul. Within 2 years, it will have a new body and new powerplant--and be designated a 997. The 996 is often criticized--looks too much like a Boxster, not aggressive looking, too many luxuries, and WATER-COOLED. The 993 was the last of the air-cooled Porsches. It had round headlights and a body style that truly resembled the Porsche 911 model lineage. So the 996 may be the bargain 911 in a few years. Couple that with all of the economy issues, and you might see many 996s up for sale, flooding the high-end market.

For starters I just got rid of a 99 996 with cup aerokit before I got my NSX. If that 99 doesn't have a full leather interior you don't want it. It is a cheap styrofoam type, much less desirable than that of a pre 99 car and it was fixed for the 2000 model year. The only way to avoid that on a 99 is to have the $5000.00 full supple leather option (which I had and it is really nice but costly for what you get). The 99's are the most problem ridden cars as well. Those cars are depriciating so fast right now it's nuts. Mine was $89,000 new sticker and needless to say I lost my a$$ getting out of it. Having said that I would take my 94 NSX all day, everyday over my 911. Sure the 911 was faster, but the squeaks alone were enough to make me want to get rid of the car. I won't even get into all the problems I had with that car. It was the least reliable car I have ever owned hands down! My advice, either buy an NSX or if you want a 911 get a 993 (1995-1998). Just my 0.02
Aaron

Hi,

I went throught the similar thinking process. Please refer to the following topic.

http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006130.html

Basically, I ended up deciding that if I like NSX, it shouldn't matter how much other cars are selling for. Most people (99%)think that I am crazy for wanting to get 94-96 (in the similar price range) over 99+ Porsche 911, but I want to be that 1%, and want to hang out with the people who truly appreciate NSX.

Plus, I doubt that Porsche owners will share their time to check out the cars for you.

Originally posted by Nsxotic:
If you are looking for a Porsche, go 95-98 993 or 2000+ 996. The 1999's are horrible by comparison.

Thank you all - very helpful. From my scouring of the ads, the jump in prices from '99 to '00 is so drastic that I suspected something like this.

I have owned 2 Porsches in the past, one of which was a 1990. As you might know the 1990 was the 1st year of the redesigned C2, and it had some terrible problems which are Porsche legend/infamy now. I woke up in many a cold sweat from nightmares of oil leaks, dual-mass flywheels, distributor belt failures, and other problems, and most of my dreams came true! Suffice to say my car was a lemon among lemons.

The '95s seem to be bulletproof, so I guess we can't generalize this to "all 1st-year 911s", but it sounds like 1990 has been revisited in 1999! Let's hope Porsche gets the next version correct right out of the box.

[This message has been edited by Timbo (edited 11 September 2002).]

just out of curiousity, does anyone have an opinion on 'why' porsche has such a problem with new model introductions??? in this price range youd think they have it right before they rolled it out.

thats weird about the 99's

i'll have to tell my neighbor that as he has had a horrible time with his 996 cabrio. so, bad in fact he bought an s2000 and just uses the porsche as a weekend car.

maybe they didn't do enough long term testing before they push it out on the market? I think it looks great and the interior is a total improvement (visual only). I would want one ... one day when I can afford it. Probably want a TT though.

Probably because the 996 was a whole new model (first time in over 30 years of 911)... they are not used to these things at Porsche's
wink.gif

I test drove a 2000 911 Coupe for a bit a few months ago. I prefer my 91 NSX. 996 is nice though, nothing wrong with it, just not worth the extra money and less exotic feel. Now a TT would totally change everything, although I haven't driven one.

Back