• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A Casual Sunday Drive

Good afternoon NSXPrime! I'm glad to say that this past Sunday I was able to make a trip to purchase myself an amazing 2001 Monaco Blue NSX with only 14k miles! Looking forward to being a part of the NSX Community!

At the expensive of myself, Dave22 & I flew out to Saint Louis, Missouri to pick up my new vehicle!

Here are some pictures and dialog to go with the trip!

THE PLANE BOSS, THE PLANE!!!

4cmdfuh.jpg

The good ol' reading material. Flight from Norfolk, VA to Charlotte, NC. 1 Hour Layover, then from NC to Saint Louis, MO.

2lc4o5c.jpg

Take a mental note, just incase!

485tkyb.jpg

Dave22 taking a nap... it's going to be a long day.

2z57n7o.jpg

Not comfy enough, let's reposition... yeaup, that's the one!

2n22qrl.jpg

The lovely view from the plane...

4bq6hae.jpg

Okay, enough of the fun stuff - lets get this party started!

Sign over the check and take delivery of my new car!

4hkwx1l.jpg

Where were we again? Let's see how many of you know your cities...

4hjivt0.jpg

So... time for the drive home, but I don't want to forget the vanilla goodness, do I?

4hsrc5l.jpg

So, we're on the way home.

Missouri - Snow
Indiana - Snow
Kentucky - Snow
West Virginia - Snow

We begin to hit the West Virginia Mountains and it gets rough. So Dave decides to concentrate some...

47kch9u.jpg

Things start getting much worse... so he decides to slow it down for a few miles... we were averaging this speed for approximately 3 miles...

40bfcpz.jpg

What the duece? This is an NSX, why are we going so slow...

30rlo4h.jpg

30bo3fo.jpg

So... by the time those pictures were taken the car has fish-tailed once. Oh yes, please don't forget the lovely sign saying 7% Incline, next 5.5 miles.

Well, after riding behind the J.B. Hunt truck for about 2 miles we noticed the snow plow / sander truck coming along in the far left lane clearing the roads.

After the pack of 15 cars behind us unloaded, we pulled out to see how things were and pick up the pace.

About 1/2 mile down the road the car lost control again.. this time, much worse. We were in the middle of I-64... sideways. Dave was able to regain control of the car and we jumped back in the right lane going extremely slow.

We reach the next exit and park the car half way between the offramp and the interstate. Dave and I sat there for approximately 3-4 minutes debating what to do. To the right was a twisty icy exit ramp, pitch black with no hotel in sight. To the left was the mountain going back up.

After the debate we see the J.B. Hunt truck pass by us, so we get back in his tracks and head north up the mountain. We are going up and notice that Mr. Hunt is slowly but surely pulling away from us. Dave makes mention to me that we are losing momentum going forward.. and everytime he pushes the gas we are losing traction.

At this time we are on a hill, 3/4 mile up with a 7% decline, and no traction. The only thing stopping us from going back down backwards is luck.

We reach the top of the hill and luckily notice a sign 'Dawson Inn, 1/2 Mile'. Only thing left is back down the hill for that 1/2 Mile and call it a night.

As we're heading back down the mountain, Dave looks in the rearview mirror to see a UPS 18 Wheeler jack-knifing... his trailer in the right lane, while his truck is in the left. He was able to regain control just before hitting us, then losing control just after he went around us.

We pull into the hotel parking lot... snap a few shots

2l8aljb.jpg

2cf8w2v.jpg

2upv9lw.jpg

By this time.. it was around 830pm and I hadn't had anything to eat since 1. So after getting our hotel room I decided to take a look at the menu...

4h8uphs.jpg

Dinner was good... as was a nice bit of rest.

Wake up in the morning, look outside the hotel room and here is what I see..

42t0rqu.jpg

2nhj7fr.jpg

So we walk out to the car, hoping for the best. Isn't she a beauty!!!

33yrlvc.jpg

34t77yr.jpg

Time to get this puppy back on the road..

Dave doing some driving

2rrp9w4.jpg

Myself driving

2r2p2tf.jpg

48h3i9h.jpg

300z238.jpg

A lil' outside shot, the roads are clear by now!

2h3ou55.jpg

Home sweet home... time to give her a touchless car was and get this salt off the car..

49j1npl.jpg

and what got us through this might you ask?

312y8f4.jpg

:biggrin:

Congrats on the ride! Great color. I used to live in St. Louis and snow like that is crazy!

I felt it when I read your post. My tires went flat bald on a long drive and I got caught in a rain storm. I hydroplaned all ove the place. That is no fun!

You'll have piles of fun in the new ride, now that your roads are clear!:biggrin:

My goodness, that was one stressful drive! Glad it had a happy resolution, though. What kind of tires on your NSX, stock?

Thank you for all of the comments everyone. It was a very stressful drive. Dave's driving skills are much stronger than mine, plus I was getting tired so I let him drive in the latter part of the evening.
Shortly after I awoke from a small nap the snow started coming down a bit harder. From the passenger seat, thinking about my new car (to me)... I was extremely scared. :(

The tires are Michelin Pilot Sports - the original owner had the OEM Bridgestones replaced at some point in time.

Welome to the club! I was honestly on the edge of my seat while reading that. Glad you guys made it ok. I can now officially state that I was a lucky bastage driving home from Colorado to Chicago 2 months ago.
Enjoy the car. Great color.:biggrin:

Thank you for all of the comments everyone. It was a very stressful drive. Dave's driving skills are much stronger than mine, plus I was getting tired so I let him drive in the latter part of the evening.
Shortly after I awoke from a small nap the snow started coming down a bit harder. From the passenger seat, thinking about my new car (to me)... I was extremely scared. :(

The tires are Michelin Pilot Sports - the original owner had the OEM Bridgestones replaced at some point in time.

Yeah....that car must have winter tires to drive in snow and ice or you will stand a pretty good chance of ending up in the ditch or meeting another car or guardrail. Actually, you are lucky you did not have the OEM tires on there or you WOULD have hit something....trust me. However bad you thought the Pilot Sports were in the snow, multiply that times ten and you will have the OEM tires. That is why I have Blizzak's on my car. :D

I can relate.I got cought it in a snow squall going through the poconos years ago,and it was a white knuckler for 20 miles.I spun twice, almost off the road,those so3's I had where not helping.Sounds like luck was shinning on you as it was with me:smile: continued good luck with your car.

WOW I thought my drive was scarry! :eek: I rented a Jetta this past sunday and drove through the same area. I was scared to death just driving a front wheel drive jetta. Congrats on the purchase and making it home safely.

WOW I thought my drive was scarry! :eek: I rented a Jetta this past sunday and drove through the same area. I was scared to death just driving a front wheel drive jetta. Congrats on the purchase and making it home safely.
Maybe you blew past us. We noticed several Jettas zooming by as we were struggling to maintain 3 or 4 mph. I actually wondered aloud if it was the same Jetta doubling back just to show off. :D

everytime you drive her will be time well spent!!
enjoy the ride:smile: welcome to the insanity.

Awesome color and quite possibly my favorite! Was that Tabasco's car?

Awesome color and quite possibly my favorite! Was that Tabasco's car?

I'm not exactly sure who owned the vehicle previously. Original owner put just over 4k miles on the vehicle, second owner had it up to 14k when he traded it in to 'Plaza Motor Company' in Saint Louis.

Congrats! Glad you got her home safely! Love the color! I've always wanted to see that color next to my Long Beach Blue, just to see how similar they are.

congrats on the nsx and making it home alive at the same time...Glad when I drove my first one home from Oregon(1000 miles) it was mid summer:tongue:

next time you buy an NSX in the dead of winter and have to drive XXXX miles east of the rockies....SHIP IT!!!!:eek: :biggrin:

Great post. This remind me of my drive home. I bought mine in December and drove it home from Kansas City in a snow storm. I got through the snow ok and stayed the night in a hotel on the 40. The next morning the roads were icy and the back end got loose as a goose and scared the crap out of me. I pulled off and waited until noon before restarting. While driving again I saw about 15 wrecked cars in a 5 mile stretch. I also had some scary moments going over bridges that were still iced over. I would just get the thing pointed straight and know that I couldn't do anything while on the bridge.

Glad you made it safely! I know I was sure scared I was going to hurt the car I just bought, it is definitely a scary feeling.

Back