• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A completely bone stock unmolested NSX feeling

Guys,

I have owned a lot of NSX's and most have been modified from simple I/H/E to turboed/supercharged. Spanning over about 11 years. I recently sold my 02 with CTSC, lowered.brembo indy, etc.. amazing car... It is the last NSX I drove until the new one I just got.

I picked up a 1 owner 91 with 70k on it. No mods all stock and close to perfect. I have been driving it for two days.

The car is absolutely incredible in totally stock form. I CAN NOT believe how balanced and smooth the car is in every situtaion. Ride quality better than most new cars, great acceleration, great braking, No rattles or creaks anywhere and totally SOLID feeling.

Now this is not saying I am leaving it stock because that is just not me but I can tell you it has made me respect the car that much more. I guess I had simply lost touch with the car in its stock form.

Just wanted to discuss it..

Thanks
Brian

I totally understand. IMHO, the early model NSXs in entirely stock form will be valuable collector cars b/c of how a good a driver they are. Even with 5 spoke boat anchors.

Matter of fact, my wife has started asking me about picking up another NSX that is relatively stock so she can drive one as well.

Interesting you bring this up. Recently I had a bone-stock 1991 w/65K miles for some work. After a test drive, I thought to myself, "WOW, the true NSX experience".

It is so true, just taking out a bone stock NSX is a unique experience. I call it "Complete". AS IS.

Just think, 20+ years ago Honda did this!!!!

BTW - Those boat anchors and really not that heavy:)......

Regards,
LarryB

Interesting you bring this up. Recently I had a bone-stock 1991 w/65K miles for some work. After a test drive, I thought to myself, "WOW, the true NSX experience".

It is so true, just taking out a bone stock NSX is a unique experience. I call it "Complete". AS IS.

Regards,
LarryB

Exactly, The whole time I am thinking to myself " they built this car this good 20+ years ago" I have driven thousands of cars... None give me this feeling as being
" the total package".

I actually test drove a near stock 92 NSX this sunday. All it had was a unifilter, and larger wheels. I was shocked at how quiet it was, and it felt torquier than mine due to the backpressure. The car was rattle free, and rode so smooth and soft. I completely forgot how my car felt when I first got it. I also remember now why I was so desperate to change out the exhaust. The car was just too damn quiet. My bone stock fx35 is way louder than a stock nsx.

I've driven a stock one before and I was not very impressed, but the ride quality is good especially for a sports car (doesn't matter much to me unless daily driven). I don't think I would own an NSX without modifications personally, after having a taste of it's potential and knowing it's weaknesses.

I had this feeling when I was selling my first car, the buyer wanted it completly stock. After I took off all the aftermarket parts off and put the oem stuff on i took it for one last drive to make sure everything it OK and ready for its new owner. The car felt like new and i had mixed feelings about selling it.

I've been through the same thing with a 99 Civic Si that was supercharged and heavily modified, then taken back to bone stock for sale, and with a V6 Accord. Amazing how smart those Honda engineers are (or used to be) when it comes to putting together a solid balanced driver.

My NSX is stock except for a comptech exhaust (I'm lookig for an oem exhaust locally, btw) and a countersunk shift knob. I would like more power but for now I'm enjoying the car for what it is, rather than worrying about what it's not.

This is the perfect excuse to own two NSXs! lol I love my stock car, but feel that mine is in "good enough" shape to modify and make my own. I will be on the lookout for a Zanardi to keep 100% stock down to the tires for my second NSX.

My first NSX (91 Berlina Black/Ivory) had short gears and throttle body plus suspension mods.

My second NSX (02 Imola Orange Pearl/Onyx) was completely stock plus some suspension mods.

My third and present NSX (91 Berlina Black/Black) has the CTSC and I can't wait to experience its power this summer; no I haven't yet driven it!!! Owned it for almost one year now and in two weeks she's all mine as she's coming out of storage.

Maybe on my fourth NSX I'll go stock...LOL!

The bone stock NSX is a work of art. It's sad that I suspect there are fewer of them left every year.

I love modifying cars and my current NSX is heavily modded. I have owned stock in the past, but my own flaw is that I always get bored. I mod everything.

I would never make the argument, though, that the original is in any way flawed. IMO it is perfectly balanced. If anything, once you start down the mod path on a quest to "fix" what is *not* broken, you really get farther and farther from that perfect balance.

Almost no one will ever drive these cars on a track or would be able to take the car even close to its stock limits if they did, so its kind of funny how often the "flaws" of the NSX are pointed out in bench races ;)

The car comes with influence and engineering of F1 juggernaut Mclaren Honda (out the box). If Ayrton Senna can drive the NSX stock I think it's good enough for me..

Good thread. As i peruse Prime and see all the great NSX's with excellent mods, I sometimes start thinking about "upgrading" mine. But everytime I take her out for a drive, I appreciate the complete overall balance and perfection that this 20 year old car is.

The only change on mine is the 95 NSX wheels (was on when I bought it) and I've put on the Angus exhaust (agree with someone else about original being TOO quiet!).

I appreciate all - modded as well as stock. It is the best overall automobile I've ever owned. Great balance in all aspects of design. Jay

yeah stock is just fine with me. I am putting on the 2002 headers and cats and muffler so its still stock in a way.
and adding the 6-speed transmission I have collecting dust.

but your in line for the Zanardi, the bank account is fully ready and able to purchase a nice Zanardi the second one comes up for sale.

the line for a Zanardi is so freaking long. we need to start an un-official thread of people that want a Zanardi and we all can put are names on it. here I will start it off.

people that want a Zanardi Edition NSX
1. shawn110975 ( Cash In hand financing from a bank not needed )

there is a pureity to a stock nsx...imho it is the induction honk that is well heard with the stock intake and exhaust which I miss the most with the IEH mods.

I miss the sound of the intake too......until hit the gas and watch my rolling 30-100 time get cut in half to the sound of pssssshhhhhhhhssssssssttt!!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Regards,
LarryB

I don't know...you seemed to be a fan of the JDM gears with the 4.06 if I recall.. ;):D

The car comes with influence and engineering of F1 juggernaut Mclaren Honda (out the box). If Ayrton Senna can drive the NSX stock I think it's good enough for me..

That was 20 years ago, I don't think he would still be satisfied given today's standards. Time has progressed

yeah stock is just fine with me. I am putting on the 2002 headers and cats and muffler so its still stock in a way.
and adding the 6-speed transmission I have collecting dust.

but your in line for the Zanardi, the bank account is fully ready and able to purchase a nice Zanardi the second one comes up for sale.

the line for a Zanardi is so freaking long. we need to start an un-official thread of people that want a Zanardi and we all can put are names on it. here I will start it off.

people that want a Zanardi Edition NSX
1. shawn110975 ( Cash In hand financing from a bank not needed )

there's one on autotrader for $65k... get it!

Aside from my APX Angus turbo system the only mod's on my '93 are Alpine head unit and Infiniti speakers in stock location, and SSR GT1 wheels.

Even though I have to pull up and push down my antenna most of the time, I like it stock!

I don't know...you seemed to be a fan of the JDM gears with the 4.06 if I recall.. ;):D

that is stock too... just not stock US...

when i modify cars now, i choose to fix its weak spots... and enhance it without ruining whats good about it.

completely stock is definitely better than poorly modded... many NSX's fell into the poorly modded section with just heavy cheap 18" wheels. i drove a stock one with tiny wheels and it actually felt quick...

That was 20 years ago, I don't think he would still be satisfied given today's standards. Time has progressed

I disagree, I think other than the cars that pretty much drive themselves ( GTR) there is still not a whole lot of stock cars that are as balanced and handle as well...
I doubt Senna would roll a GTR. He was a driver. I dont think he would like " launch control" :biggrin:

Aside from my APX Angus turbo system the only mod's on my '93 are Alpine head unit and Infiniti speakers in stock location, and SSR GT1 wheels.

Even though I have to pull up and push down my antenna most of the time, I like it stock!

monster truckin' it? :biggrin:

i like how the stock suspension feels and the ground clearance, too... but i'm gonna lower it.

Back