• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A good week gone bad at the track...

I wasn't sure what forum to post this on but decided to err on the safe side and put it here...
Some of you may have read this post telling of the ride. Little did I know...

The Preface:
I had been looking forward to my week at Putnam Park for a couple months now. This time I was doing it right. I rented a flatbed trailer and stocked everything I could possibly need in the suv; including wheels, tires, compressor, tools, fluids, and enough junk food to feed a trucker for a month. It was my first time hauling a trailer like this but the Rainier made easy work of it. After 7 hours on the road I finally arrived in Cloverdale, In - my home for the next week. Made it in time to snatch a few slices of pizza at the post-meeting dinner (I missed the meeting). The Audi club members gave me the same reception as most clubs - I've noticed they're rather cold until they see the NSX - then come the stories of "I remember the first time I saw one of those...". I've come to expect this as a first-timer to most club track days. The clubs seem quite cliquish but after spending a day or 2 in the pits talking mods and tactics together, they become good friends and remain so to the next event.
Monday morning rolled around early and I was the first at the track, 7am on the dot. The Putnam track is located several miles off the beaten path via a hilly 1-lane road (that they somehow pass as a 2-laner!). As you drive along the freshly black-topped road the white big-rail fencing that encloses the entire facility (reminiscent of a Kentucky horse ranch) leads you to the flagged entrance. I was surprised at the beautiful setting and landscaping for just a race track but that's par for Putnam after seeing the rest of the facility.
As I finished unpacking everything and readying the car it was time for class. Audi had several national people there and our in-class instructor was very interesting and obviously passionate about what he did as both a driver and instructor. This was one of the first classes that actually kept my attention throughout the school.
It so happened that our track photographer was also the agent for all four drivers of the ALMS Porsche team (who won the GT2 Class at the Rolex 24 this year). As our class dismissed he announced that one of his drivers, Ian Baas (who had coincidentally spent much time at Putnam), would be in for a couple hours that afternoon and could drive anyones car who was interested. I remember watching the Rolex 24 with interest this year and thought it would be cool to actually have one of the winning drivers christen StormTrooper (my X).
As the day passed I was sucking up new track tactics and trying to find the right lines for my car - all the while itching at the thought of seeing how Ian would take to the track with it.

The Ride:
The time rolled around and Ian seemed pleased to try out the NSX. He had never even driven one but after the first lap seemed to be quite comfortable with it. We ran in the instructor group which was full of high hp track-prepped cars. I wasn't even running r-comps which was probably the biggest handicap. I noted to Ian that the TC was on and he opted to leave it on - erring on the cautious side I suppose. As the laps passed we seemed to be one of the faster cars in the pack. His quick shifting and loose style could only be described as attacking as opposed to driving. His eyes were almost glazed as he scanned ahead... A purposeful composure as we were doing scary rates of speed all the while the tail was kicking out in the corners (as my car is setup to oversteer - which I'm finally getting comfortable with) seemingly on the edge of control.
We seemed to stay on the track a rather long time as we kept passing pit-in (much to my delight). Til the beginning of lap 7 when I noticed the Z06 behind us. It was undoubtedly the fastest car at the track this week and fully prepped (I think the owner claimed just under 600hp). Ironically it was yellow. I'm sure Ian is used to seeing the yellow Vettes in his rear-view (ala GT1 Vettes in the ALMS). We kept our distance ahead of him up through turn 7 but as we approached turn 8, an uphill, 180 degree carousel he was on our bumper. Ian took a tight line all the way around it as the X had amazing grip. We came out of turn 8 way ahead of the Vette. I looked back to see it emerging from a grey cloud of smoke. Ian saw the smoke too and motioned to pit-in and the ride was over. I didn't realize until later that the cloud came from MY car! (I later heard that the Z06 literally disappeared in the cloud of smoke and got a fine mist of oil on his windshield to remember me by). There was nothing that hinted towards anything abnormal with my car at the moment. It was running fine, and actually a little cool. His agent (the photographer) explained that the S2k's and NSX's are known for doing that when the oil level is a little too full (I'd never heard of it - but "whatever", I guess). I checked the oil and sure enough it was a little over the optimum level. I didn't think much of it and parked her to rest. My run group had one more session that day but it was a farily slow one as a light rain made the track a skating rink... and the day was over.

The Nasty sounds started: :confused:
I slept well and was ready for some serious driving now that I had witnessed the "fast" lines for my car. The first session went very well but upon pulling in from session 1 there was a faint clanking noise. I figured it was the cap on the inside of the front hub coming loose and clanking (as had happened last time at the track).
I started the car up for the second session and noted that the clanking was based more on engine revs than wheel speed. In fact it was a similar sound that my '95 had made when I failed to tighten the exhaust and started the car. I didn't think much of it as it wasn't loud and went away as the revs went over 3k. I knew my CT exhaust can was shot and dismissed the noise as such. My instructor checked around the car and surmised it was probably something to do w/ the exhaust as well. We decided to take it out for a few laps to feel it out. There was definitely no power loss but the sound got louder as we rounded turn one. Half way through the lap 1 it was bad enough that we were going to pit in and take a look. By the time we made it to the hot pits it sounded like an industrial size fan hitting on a piece of substantial metal - embarrasingly loud - proportional to the revs. No one there had any NSX experience and I am certainly no mechanic so we towed it over to the trailer and winched it up. I called John up at Brookfield Acura to see if he could troubleshoot it over the phone. We decided it was probably nothing "small" so a skilled NSX mechanic would be the only answer. Being unfamiliar with any techs in the Indy area I did the 6 hr drive to Milwaukee through the night to arrive at A of B as they were opening. John had warned them I'd be in and to make it a priority (as I needed to get back to Putnam for the rest of the weeks festivities asap if possible). Bill (one of the 2 NSX techs there) tried to start it and said he'd never heard a sound like that out of an NSX ever before (not cool). He got it up and took the bottom end apart to find this:

The Grim Reality:

Pieces of the bearing

Good bearing on left - NO bearring = scored rod on right

Pieces of the bearing and the odd tin-foil-like shards from who knows what.

Crank from Piston #3 is scored - as opposed to the one one on the right which is fine.

My heart sank as I saw the glitter in the oil. John ran his hand through the oil in the pan and came up with a small handful of metal parts - pieces of a spun bearing and some others that were unidentifiable... my heart sank even more. This car won't see the road for a long time to come, much less the rest of the week at Putnam.

It was oil starvation from riding the long carousel so tight and fast - leaving the oil to collect away from the pickup point. The Achilles Heal of a tracked NSX.

As I look back I can't help but think of all the what-if's. What if I had actually gotten that Accusump kit that I'd been mulling over (but temporarily laid aside due to the high cost and "overkill" status for me as rookie tracker on oem tires). What if I hadn't wanted to add that badge of honor to my car (ie - pro-driver approved), what if I'd taken more of a defensive stance about my car and treated it like the queen that it was, what if that yellow Z06 hadn't been on our tail - no doubt envoking the red mist in Ian. What if, what if!
Not one to live in the past when I can avoid it - I'm moving forward and weighing the options. I don't think I have much of a case against anyone but myself in this situation. I let him drive it knowing the risks and the problem didn't immediately make itself known. No use making it any uglier than it already is by pulling other people into it either. It's a tough reality to swallow and my finances will be streteched a little thinner to cover the cost of a new engine (or a fix if it's possible) but it's an experience that I will learn from and maybe even be able to joke about when it's all said and done.
In the mean time I'm waiting for the top end of the engine to come apart to see what the damage is up there. So far the crank is scored at piston #3 and that rod is also damaged from running without a bearing for who knows how long. At the very least it needs a new piston/rod and crank (2 of the more expensive pieces of this engine) but will likely need more as we see what happens up top when pieces of the bearing go through the engine. It's quite possible the engine is toast. I'm now contemplating making it a stroker (especially if there's cyl wall/head damage). Maybe there really is a silver lining to every cloud (but that silver doesn't come cheap). I'll keep this updated as the saga continues.

I wouldn't wish this experience on any of you but maybe some of you will learn from my experience. Prime has benefitted me greatly and maybe some of you have suggestions on my options when it comes to the engine fix/upgrade - or even if you know of someone parting out or selling a well-historied engine let me know. I am fairly frugal so a 3.8 stroker is probably out of the question... at least for the moment. I'm partly writing this because you all know the pain we go through when our X is having problems - so any empathy will help. Also, no one in my family knows exaclty how much this is going to cost me, they'll think I'm crazy to even keep the car - let alone upgrade it. :wink:
Ironically, I tell everyone at the track how affordable it is to own the NSX - even as a track car, because of it's relatively low maintenance costs, long major service intervals and nearly zero depreciation... I hate eating my words.
Thanks for listening - This was some therapy for me - you know, getting it all out. If no one makes it this far down in my post it's still benefitted me. :smile:

Edit: It's been brought to my attention that turn 8 at Putnam should not be referred to as a "carousel" as it doesn't quite fit the definition. It is also not the type of turn that would normally cause oil starvation therefore I will also state that it is only conjecture as to when/how the starvation happened at this point in time. I will update this post as more facts become available and the definite cause of starvation is determined.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your problems. I have loaned my NSX out on the track to a select few folks but know there are risks to doing so. You sound pretty mature about it considering how it went down. Good luck getting it back on the road.

The good news is you have another NSX as a backup.

As for your family - I wouldn't worry about what they think. Any man with 2 NSXs is certified crazy already by most families.

;)

Just remember - it can ALWAYS be much worse.

It was oil starvation from riding the long carousel so tight and fast - leaving the oil to collect away from the pickup point. The Achilles Heal of a tracked NSX.

I don't understand what the above statement meant. Can you explain for the engine illiterate.:biggrin:

When I first read your original post, I had a flashback to my first track event - when, halfway through the second day as I pulled into the pit, I heard that distinct not-so-good clanking from my engine. Ugh... I had a bad feeling about your NSX's health when you mentioned that sound, but did not want to speculate. Anyway, I'm sorry that it ended up being as bad as I feared.

As Nick said, at least you have a nice NSX as backup (much better than the beater Civic I had :)). And as you said, there are a lot more options these days. No doubt, the stroker crank is not cheap, but neither is a stock crank (around $2400 I believe is what I paid). Even if you go a less extreme upgrade path, it's nice to have more choices and have the option to go with what makes the best sense for you.

Looking back, one of the best experiences with my NSX was driving back home after Mark Basch fixed up the engine (and installed some other upgrades). By that time, I'd been without my car for several months - that absense made the 1000+ mile drive home totally enjoyable - almost enough to make up for the downtime. :)

Best of luck!

Ko-nsx said:

I don't understand what the above statement meant. Can you explain for the engine illiterate.:biggrin:

As I understand it on high g-force curves (such as this carousel at Putnam - turn 8) the oil in the pan all sloshes to one side for an extended period (maybe 8-10 seconds) and the bearings can't get lubrication as the oil is inaccessable as it pools over in the corner of the pan. The bearing basically seizes and breaks because of the lack of lubrication (metal on metal). Why it only happened to #3 I have no idea. There are others here who could give you a better explaination of what happened - but that's my best understanding.

Again, sorry for your mishap. It's worth noting that your NSX is a 92 as the later models had a baffle in the oil pan though that doesn't mean such a baffle is sufficient.

You may want to check with Comptech and Shad as they may know of parts that might become available for your needs.

As matteni noted, you do indeed show maturity given the scenario you offered. But more importantly, he is also right when he says: "Any man with 2 NSXs is certified crazy already by most families." :wink:

Keep us posted.

I was curious about the size of wheels and tires that you used but see from your first post that you were using stock 15 and 16 inch wheels with Yoko's. I wouldn't think that you could generate excessive lateral G-force with that combination. I am doubtful that the 180 degree Turn #8 caused the problem. There have been many NSXs tracked using much bigger wheels and R-compound tires over thousands of miles without incident. How many miles are on your NSX by the way?

It just seems odd that only one connecting rod bearing would be distroyed and the others OK. Also, I thought that oil deficiency affected the top of the motor first i.e. cam shaft lobes.

I am wondering if there was a long standing local deficiency of oil to the #3 crank shaft journal or perhaps a somewhat defective rod bearing. I am no expert on such things however. Maybe one of our NSX tech gurus will comment.

In any event, I am very sorry to hear of your problem. Keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited:
OLDE GUY said:
It just seems odd that only one connecting rod bearing would be distroyed and the others OK. Also, I thought that oil deficiency affected the top of the motor first i.e. cam shaft lobes.

I am wondering if there was a long standing local deficiency of oil to the #3 crank shaft journal. I am no expert on such things however. Maybe one of our NSX tech gurus will comment.

I'm agree - it seemed weird even to me but the clues have been few thus far and the puff of smoke at the top of 8 and the clanking that later followed made the theory the most plausible. It's quite possible that it's been a condition that was only exacerbated by the added "usage" at the time.
My take was that it probably would have happened eventually anyway, as I became a better track driver. :wink:

I'm confident in the guys at Brookfield that they will be able to deduce exactly what happened. Once we open up the top end it should (from what I hear) tell us much more. I'll post the findings just as soon as I hear them to avoid any further conjecture. Oddly, it would make me feel a little better to find out that it was some kind of pre-existing condition that would have caused the incident no matter who was driving it.

Complete speculation on my end, but two details got my attention:
#1- the cloud of smoke - i.e. oil finding its way in the combustion chamber
#2- The oil level being on the high side.

What I think happened is that the oil started foaming due to being a bit on the high side with the combination of high revs (trying to stay ahead of the Z06). Oil pickups cannot work well in foaming condition, not to mention that foam (air+oil) IS compressible and can create cavitation in the oil passages, eventually leading to engine starvation.

Sorry to hear about your engine. But think about it on the positive side as your engine went with dignity, on a track, at the hands of a pro.

apapada said:
Sorry to hear about your engine. But think about it on the positive side as your engine went with dignity, on a track, at the hands of a pro.

hear hear!

honestly, thank you for posting up your story. Good insight and good warnings.

And as you had stated in your post... I do intend to learn from this and considering how hard I drive and track the car I think I'm going to get an accusump now.

take care and I hope your car rises even stronger than before

x

MLmotorsport said:
My understanding is the NSX will only develop sufficient lateral G's to possibly expose the oil pick-up with slicks on...

I think there may be another cause for your unfortunate (and costly) problem I think. I don't think the driver can be to blame because the NSX can't be over-revved because it is rev-limited. The only way to over-rev is by down changing which is not what you described.

Sometimes parts just fail... I wouldn't beat yourself (or anyone else :wink: ) up for it... I think you could use the phrase "Cost of doing business" appropriately here...

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the re-build/new engine...

Ouch. It happens. Always a ton of 'what ifs'. It is a learning experience, but on an NSX engine it really sucks. Expensive. All I can offer is to be that much more prepared/careful next time to the best of your ability, ideally including adding the oiling upgrades while you put it back together.

I'm not sure if I am clear on the exact circumstances... so correct me if I interpreted your post wrong.. but it sounds as if no one had pulled the dip stick cold on the car directly prior to the first instructor session, but it was pulled directly thereafter after pitting in, taken hot, and determined to be just over optimal (thus credited by someone as perhaps getting into the manifold and causing the smoke cloud just seen). It then went out for your session, and when it came back in it did so obviously with a noticable audible engine problem. At that point, likely just the symptoms of the spun bearing / bottom end failure which had already occured prior.

So, when you finally got it back in at that point.. did anyone do a cursory check, or even a good level check prior to draining the pan? When you finally got it back to the shop and drained it did you measure the fluid capacity to be certain?

I ask only that I also would be frankly surprised if final failure was simply a direct result of just the OE tires and track layout. It sounds clear that the failure occured in the very first run group. Skilled driver, OE tires, the track, and then on top of that perhaps a oil level or pre-existing service issue at that point sounds more likely. It probably was a combination of several factors that just came together at the wrong time.Quite likely had you had the car out for that first session the track day would have likely had a different out come.

So far as the symptoms and experience, it sounds like a classic case of a spun bearing. I've toasted two engines in my life time due to momentary oil starvation in the pick-up while cornering. Both were most definitely preventable, caused by human error which is very common- not catostraphic internal part failures. I would rule out one before defaulting to the other in your investigation. It's always easy to try and chalk it up to the NSX wet system being weak or the pan, but I don't see NSX engines blowing up in Top Gear and BMI videos with even grippier yokos and Honda test drivers either. Then again being a 92 maybe it really was just its time and bad luck or lacking the added baffle. Hard to say if you'll ever be able to know for sure in this instance.

If it's re-assuring at all.. your NSX experience you detailed is a mirror of my Miata experience years back. We borrowed a Miata for the day... first instructors session, first five turns out that morning at PIR on some Falkens, bang... obvious audible symptoms, pulled into the hot-pits to pull the dip stick and sure enough the rest of the day was spent between two of us arguing about a slight 'mis-communication' on the 'lubrication system pre-check inspection status' the night prior. We had been told it had just been done and so had both ignored the check. At least we got our entry fee back. :biggrin:

That incident I could deal with, we had the engine swapped in a week which was on its last leg anyway... but their was one time that really caught me off guard and literally left me walking.

One weekend I had driven down to Oregon to pickup a Honda Civic DX off a Honda dealer lot. I was told all service had just been done in the back the previous day. Good to know. So about two hours later into my ownership experience half the interior is out and some new wheels with Yokohama A048's are on. I take the long way back, up 101 instead of hitting five.

So I'm enjoying my new beater track rat and then wait.. half way back there is this long, long sweeper.. and I'm moving right along in VTEC with tons of grip to spare.. and then all of a sudden you could tell the tone of the engine had changed ever so slightly. Just enough.. to dull the VTEC roar... it's like the car telling you 'this is going to be really bad'. Once again, pulled the dip stick and oh look.. obviously when they said all the maintenance had just been done what they really meant was completely the opposite. Of course. Of course. :cool:

Immediately put some oil in but the clanking had already started, and within three more miles the mile marker on the side of the road was the same three digit number as the license plate on the back followed by the letters 'RIP'. How freaky this could happen at 2AM in the middle of no-where, with no cell towers abouts, as I'm walking about in shorts and a T-Shirt. Three days later, after coordinating to move the vehicle the 200 miles back, I have the bottom half of the engine on my shop floor with the shattered bearing sitting in the pan. No mystery there.

The morale of the story- never, ever, ever... take anyone's word and skimp on taking the five seconds to pull the dip stick albeit it at each fill-up, prior to each track event, and most definitely not at 300+ miles from home.

Not saying it was the cause, but I will say that after an incident or two, I also very quickly became religious about engine oil.

Last edited:
>>The morale of the story- never, ever, ever... take anyone's word and

I see a different story:
The car was driven after it had spit out oil on a following car.
The car was driven further after it started making odd noises.
The car was driven a great deal further to find a dealer for analysis.

Moral? Don't drive your exotic car after it starts spitting out oil or making odd noises - flatbed it to the nearest specialist. There's a reason for the oil/noise and it's usually not a good one!

John@Microsoft said:
but it sounds as if no one had pulled the dip stick cold on the car directly prior to the first instructor session, but it was pulled directly thereafter after pitting in, taken hot, and determined to be just over optimal (thus credited by someone as perhaps getting into the manifold and causing the smoke cloud just seen). It then went out for your session, and when it came back in it did so obviously with a noticable audible engine problem. At that point, likely just the symptoms of the spun bearing / bottom end failure which had already occured prior.

So, when you finally got it back in at that point.. did anyone do a cursory check, or even a good level check prior to draining the pan? When you finally got it back to the shop and drained it did you measure the fluid capacity to be certain?

Haha, good stories John. "RIP", that's hilarious!

That morning I had checked all the fluids to find the oil just a tad under the "perfect" level (in the middle, between the 2 holes on the dip stick). I added about a quarter of a quart which brought it up to just above the perfect level. I looked at the oil level later after John and I spoke (hours after the incident - car was cold) and it hadn't changed noticably. Just wondering - does oil expand enough to change the dip-stick reading when it's hot?

I'm still in Kindergarden on mechanical/engine's knowledge, but at this point, people had bought oil foaming, starvation as the cause of the spun bearing. Does it matter what oil is in the car? and what did ML put into the engine??

Soichiro said:
The car was driven further after it started making odd noises.
I agree. Hindsight is 20/20. I won't ever let the eagerness to get on the track override any question marks as to the suitability of the car.
Soichiro said:
The car was driven a great deal further to find a dealer for analysis.
MLmotorsport said:
I rented a flatbed trailer[/I]
MLmotorsport said:
...so we towed it over to the trailer and winched it up. [/I]
Soichiro said:
Moral?... flatbed it to the nearest specialist....
MLmotorsport said:
Being unfamiliar with any techs in the Indy area I did the 6 hr drive to Milwaukee through the night to arrive at A of B as they were opening.[/I]

NSXDreamer2 said:
I'm still in Kindergarden on mechanical/engine's knowledge, but at this point, people had bought oil foaming, starvation as the cause of the spun bearing. Does it matter what oil is in the car? and what did ML put into the engine??

10W30 Mobil1 Synthetic - I'm wondering if a heavier weight oil would benefit a tracked NSX. :confused: But that's probably for another thread. (no flames please :smile: )

If the belief is that the oil foamed, it would be helpful to test the oil at Blackstone Labs ($20 for the test) to validate or eliminate that cause. The more variables you eliminate, the easier to narrow the cause.

But very informative for us trackers to follow this thread.

MLmotorsport said:
Haha, good stories John. "RIP", that's hilarious!

Just wondering - does oil expand enough to change the dip-stick reading when it's hot?

Absolutely. Oil contracts and expands with temp. In fact, some dip sticks on some vehicles even have markers for cold and hot readings. You will want to check the level warm, after all the oil has returned to the pan, on a good level surface to get a meaningful reading. The NSX dip stick has two markers on it and is pretty easy to read. I always change right before and after every track event, and usually will add an extra half quart and have never had a problem. In fact, by the end of a full track day I'm usually down just shy of a solid quart in the S2000 and found many other S2K guys in the parking lot with the same readings. Being in VTEC the whole time will burn it so an extent.

Obviously I have no capacity to say for sure over the internet, and it could well have been just fine, but from all of the information provided my initial conclusion would be that it is at least plausable that there was a level issue being a contributing factor to the failure. I've never personally heard of a failure with any driver on the OE Yokos without their being another factor. All the related issues I am aware of usually occur on long sweeping right handers with good drivers and more grippy rubber, and turn 8 at Putnam (Dead Bear Turn) is a short left hander per their track map.

Reading aside, either your level may have been for some reason just too high and got aerated by the crank shaft or just too low and caused pump cavitation during cornering. An oil analysis may be a good step to begin to rule specific causes out, and it may just have been a part failure too being a 14 year old engine... but either way usually at this point most just move on and look for a new bottom end. Unfortunately no matter what the cause, the end result is the same. $$$

http://www.practicingoilanalysis.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=541&relatedbookgroup=OilAnalysis

Last edited:
Hrant said:
If the belief is that the oil foamed, it would be helpful to test the oil at Blackstone Labs ($20 for the test) to validate or eliminate that cause. The more variables you eliminate, the easier to narrow the cause.

But very informative for us trackers to follow this thread.

First of all, sorry to hear about your engine trouble, and good luck getting it back together.

As far as foaming is concerned, it's obviously all speculation at this point but I agree with Hrant that it could be helpful to get an oil analysis.

I'm an HPDE novice (i.e. slow), my car is a '92 and I've overfilled my car the last two track events. I was worried about the possibility of oil starvation so I wanted to overfill it a little bit, but ended up putting about 6.1 quarts into the car by accident. I thought about draining it out a little bit since 6.1 quarts seemed a bit high and could possibly cause foaming issues, but I decided to just leave it in there. I used Motul 300V oil in a 5w40 weight and have put about 500+ miles on the car (two track events, the rest is street driving). I don't know if I had any foaming issues or not during this time that it was overfilled, but nothing noticeably bad has happened so far.

To be safe, I did recently drain out some of the extra oil, and my car has a scheduled service appointment soon so I will be changing all of the oil out.

FYI when it was overfilled, I was about a little bit above one centimeter over the top mark of the dipstick.

I've spoken at length with one of our top NSX technical experts, and this is what he said - not specifically about MLMotorsport's car, but in general, about all such cases (Ponyboy's, etc), based on having examined quite a few in person. He indicated that, in his experience, there is usually more than meets the eye at first blush. Sometimes the oil level was too low or too high; sometimes the owner hadn't checked it, sometimes he thought he checked it but didn't, sometimes he checked it and didn't think it was a big deal to be off. Sometimes there was already damage and wear on the rod bearings due to a previous incident of improper oil level, or mis-shifting (overrevving when attempting to upshift and mistakenly putting the car in a lower gear), in which case it was just a matter of time before such a failure would occur. Sometimes the owner wasn't aware of doing such things; sometimes (especially now that many NSXs have changed hands numerous times) it may have happened to a previous owner and was not disclosed as its ownership changed. And, as AU_NSX said, sometimes parts just fail. As you can see, you may never know which of these possibilities actually caused the problem. So bottom line is, sometimes sh** just happens.

He had a couple of suggestions to avoid such incidents. One, obviously, is to check the oil and keep it at the proper level. He also said (as several others here mentioned) that, if your engine is making funny noises, don't keep driving it; get it looked at, trailering/towing it to your mechanic if you must. He said that this could be the difference between rebuilding the engine with new rod bearings and a new crankshaft, vs replacing the engine entirely. (What's the difference? Thousands of dollars.)

I personally don't think there's any need to go buy an Accusump or other dry sump system just to be able to track the NSX. However, those who are actually in competition (races) or who are driving high-banked ovals for extended periods might consider doing so.

Also, John@M is correct about turn 8 at Putnam. It is a relatively short 180-degree turn, taking maybe 3-4 seconds, and not the kind of sweeping turn that goes on and on and on (such as the carousel at Road America). It's no different, and involves no more forces on the car, from turns on any other typical road course.

As for the difference in oil levels between when the car is warmed up and when it is cold, I doubt that the level would differ by enough to matter, but I could be wrong. Try checking it both ways to see what the difference is (and let us know, please!).

I don't think the fact that the engine is 14 years old is relevant. What matters is how it has been used, and how well it has been cared for. My engine has over 11K actual track miles on it (using only 10W30 synthetic oil, with perhaps 2K of those track miles at Putnam Park, which I have driven in over twenty events), and I have never had any engine problems at all. Which is not to say that this couldn't happen to me; of course it could. It just hasn't happened yet. And we may never know exactly why it happens to certain cars, and never happens to many others. But these are some of the possible explanations.

na14yu said:
I'm an HPDE novice (i.e. slow), my car is a '92 and I've overfilled my car the last two track events.....but ended up putting about 6.1 quarts into the car by accident..... when it was overfilled, I was about a little bit above one centimeter over the top mark of the dipstick.
Hi, NA14YU - Be careful from whom you get your ideas when you are a novice. And try not to be creative on your own. For example, Porsche's are built loose to lubricate the cyclinders and normally burn one quart of oil every 2000 to 3000 miles. On the track they go through oil even faster so over filling by 1/4 to 1/3 quart is an accepted practice among Porsche DE drivers. But such advise is not appropriate of the NSX.

The NSX is NOT built loose and typically does NOT use oil between normal services or on the track. So you should only fill an NSX to the top mark.

Rather than to decide to try something on your own, you could better post a question here on the Track Forum.

Last edited:
Hrant said:
It's worth noting that your NSX is a 92 as the later models had a baffle in the oil pan though that doesn't mean such a baffle is sufficient.

The NSX oil pan is the same 1991-2005, not sure where this info came from, but I can assure you, if the part number is the same for all years, the oil pans are the same;).

Regards,
LarryB

Very interesting exchanges.

Years ago when I was having problems with my oil pressure guage on my NA 98-T (later replacing the sender unit resolved it), I was told by those next to us in the foothills that topping a bit with oil would not hurt it - kind of cheap insurance if the baffle was not enough. I tend to make sure the level is at least at the maximum bar if not a 1/8" more before getting on the track. YMMV

While talking about oil starvation, you may want to revisit this: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6984&highlight=oil+pressure+guage

HTH

I am very sorry to hear about your problems. Best of luck getting it repaired.

Larry Bastanza said:
The NSX oil pan is the same 1991-2005, not sure where this info came from, but I can assure you, if the part number is the same for all years, the oil pans are the same;).

Regards,
LarryB

Curious, does anyone know if the 02' NSX Type R pan is the same as well?

Back