• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura NSX Details Emerge - in Today's Autoweek

I believe my 2012 Audi A6 has an 8 speed already. It's a big heavy car but gets great gas mileage. The tach barely gets over 1,500 rpm in daily driving.

All of the new "hypercars" from Ferrari, McLaren and Porsche are going to have 7 speed DCT. So they are behind the times too?

Regarding comments on the track vs a Manual trans vs PDK or such, I would imagine in the not too distant future, track events may be split into events with Manual and events with sequential 7sp,8sp,10sp etc.

With that said, they will still need to show what their "experimental" is. Will it be as revolutionary as the current NSX? Not likely. I don't see them releasing a car that changes how Ferrari and Porsche design and build their own vehicles. If I'm wrong, than I will be very happy. I would love to see the ideological successor to V-TEC.
Like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bch5B23_pu0

They also have some pretty good tech in their current production engines...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzVc13UF2s8

Just not affordable.

OPEN QUESTION to people interested in NSX 2.0:

1) Are you excited about the new NSX because the design/presumed power specs/etc are absolutely captivating and it blows your mind away?

OR

2) You like Honda products and think because of NSX 1.0 that the car will be an excellent product--reliable, balanced, forward-thinking supercar?

For me to buy the car, it has to be #1 all the way. I don't want to talk myself into a car. It has to absolutely WOW me from the start. I felt that way about the original when I saw it in 91. I felt that way about the E46 M3. When the E92 M3 came out, I felt like #2 about it in the BMW sense--kind of talked myself into it but realized I wasn't blown away by it. So I opted to go for the NSX which still had that effect for me. I get the feeling more people interested are in group 2 but I could be wrong. Yes, we don't know the specs yet but we have a rough idea and more importantly we know what it will pretty much look like.

I just want a knock-my-socks-off NSX 2.0. I don't think that's asking for too much and I don't see it yet in the design but I'm willing to see what happens.

Last edited:
$115,000

Acura NSX Laps Mid-ohio
Acura-NSX-at-Mid-Ohio.jpg&MaxW=630

It didn't have the production engine, nor the production exhaust (it was gloriously loud) and because there were safety vehicles on the track it wasn't able to go flat-out, but by golly there it was, a bright blue 2015 Acura NSX lapping Mid-Ohio just before the start of the Honda Indy 200.

Being a production mule with any number of systems still under development, it couldn't be turned over to just any driver. So it was piloted by Jason Widmer, assistant large project leader for testing for the new NSX. Acura quoted Widmer after the drive saying it was, “great to drive the car as it broke cover for the 1st time in front of so many enthusiastic Honda and Acura associates and fans.”

Mid-Ohio is only about 60 miles away from Marysville, Ohio, where Honda designs and builds many cars. Thus about 20,000 “associates” (employees at any other company) were on hand for the NSX' running debut. With Mid Ohio's capacity of 75,000, that meant about 1-4th of the fans on hand worked for Honda, prompting Widmer to add that, “It felt good to open it up on the same Mid-Ohio track where the Honda-powered Indy cars would run only minutes later.”

Widmer took 2 laps around the 2.4-mile, 15-turn Sports Car Course, though because of the safety vehicles on the track and a group of Honda S2000s parked along the front straight to be used for the driver introductions and ride around, he couldn't run flat out. Nonetheless he ran pretty well. There were cheers reportedly heard.

Honda didn't release any new details officially but did make previous generalizations a little less general. We learned, for instance, that the starting price of the NSX is planned to be near that of the Audi R8, which starts at $115,000. Options will bring the price up from there.

Performance details were still vague, too, but in terms of relative performance, the development team is looking at cars like the Ferrari 458, Audi R8, Nissan GTR, Porsche 911 Carrera S and McLaren MP4-12C. So, based on that list of competitors, 1 could expect a power output from the mid-mounted V6 gasoline direct-injected engine and the 3 electric motors (1 at each front wheel and 1 assisting the V6 in driving the rears) to be in the very wide ballpark of between 400 and 616 hp. Likewise, look for 0-60 to come up somewhere in the 2.8 to 3.2-second range; again, a wide spectrum and by no means definite, the car is still 2 years out, remember.

A release added that Acura's Sport Hybrid SH-AWD and dual-clutch transmission will be on board the production model.

"The [SH-AWD] system enables instant delivery of negative or positive torque to the front wheels during cornering to achieve a new level of driving performance unparalleled by current AWD systems," Acura said.

Racing details are still undecided, except that Honda reiterated that racing the NSX is definitely in the plan.

And just as was the case with the original NSX, Honda promises this 1 will be easy to drive.

“We like to talk about the synergy between man and machine, how easy it is for the driver to live with, how well it fits them physically,” said company spokesman Sage Marie, a racer himself who drove a supercharged CR-Z at Pikes Peak this year. “There are some sports cars you get in where your leg is bumping against some beautiful piece of carbon-fiber that's unfortunately placed. [Other cars are] a handful at the limit or unapproachable at the limit. What the NSX did originally was become something that could be driven quickly and the majority of buyers could approach the limit. This new car has man-machine synergy, so the idea to stay true to the original is to have the driver get in the car and go out on the track and start turning laps or carving a canyon road and the car kind of falls away almost. It's so intuitive, so capable that it isn't forcing its will on you. It's doing exactly what you're asking of it. That's what the original car did and what we're trying to do here.”

Sure, Honda is going to dribble out bits and pieces of teasers for the next 2 years, just like every other great sports-car maker has done recently, and, as we have done with every other sports-car maker, we are going to reveal them here. But the NSX looks like it may be worth the irritation. Here's hoping it will be worth the wait.

Acura NSX on-track video from the Transportation Research Center
The New Acura NSX Prototype - YouTube

Ok so near The R8 starting price means less than the R8's $115k price. So probably around $110k. I knew Honda had some sense. I'm good with that price. I wionder what "options" it will have .. probably just the tech stuff. Please still do the color matching interiors Honda and I'll buy.

Make mine white please!

Ok so near The R8 starting price means less than the R8's $115k price. So probably around $110k. I knew Honda had some sense. I'm good with that price. I wionder what "options" it will have .. probably just the tech stuff. Please still do the color matching interiors Honda and I'll buy.

The original NSX did not nickle and dime you to death with options. Unless I'm mistaken all were dealer-installed extras (phone, CD changer, bra, floor/trunk mats, car cover, luggage, map holder, anything else?). None were core to the car and the experience (no track package, no paying extra to get the brakes and suspension that were on the vehicles loaned out to magazines to review, etc). Compare this to...

The R8 has $14,200 in possible options (or $78,945 if you count the engine/transmission options).
The GT3 has $14,645 in possible options (not to mention its base price is about double that of a standard 911).
It is harder to determine but I think the 458 Italia has around $56,000 in possible options (plus another $30k for the spider).
MP4-12C is up there with the 458 Italia, if not higher, on potential options cost.

Hopefully the next NSX will be like the first and the fully-capable car can be had for the base price (whatever that ends up being).

The original NSX did not nickle and dime you to death with options. Unless I'm mistaken all were dealer-installed extras (phone, CD changer, bra, floor/trunk mats, car cover, luggage, map holder, anything else?). None were core to the car and the experience (no track package, no paying extra to get the brakes and suspension that were on the vehicles loaned out to magazines to review, etc). Compare this to...

The R8 has $14,200 in possible options (or $78,945 if you count the engine/transmission options).
The GT3 has $14,645 in possible options (not to mention its base price is about double that of a standard 911).
It is harder to determine but I think the 458 Italia has around $56,000 in possible options (plus another $30k for the spider).
MP4-12C is up there with the 458 Italia, if not higher, on potential options cost.

Hopefully the next NSX will be like the first and the fully-capable car can be had for the base price (whatever that ends up being).

Well the first gen were from the fully loaded Acura era but all their cars now have option pkgs for the nav/stereo stuff. Hopefully there won't be a "sport" pkg though and all the brakes come standard.

The RLX are supposed to have a hybrid version with sh shawd and in the ir roadshow I believe under Honda investor relation state that the RLX with sh shawd will arrive in fall 2013.. Anybody know ? Maybe it could possibly give more details on the engine that the NSX v2 will use?

It's supposed to use the same engine as the current RLX just adding the hybrid system. No specs other than that that I'm aware of. But it will give us more insight (ha) into how the NSX system will be working.

I thought it is going to be 3.5 l engine with two electric motors and the NSX should have 3 right? Furthermore if it is true that the hybrid rlx is coming to production, maybe it will be unveiled in la auto show this Nov?

I thought it is going to be 3.5 l engine with two electric motors and the NSX should have 3 right? Furthermore if it is true that the hybrid rlx is coming to production, maybe it will be unveiled in la auto show this Nov?

That's been speculated but Honda just said it would use the new Earth Dreams V6. They never gave the liter size. If they do I'm sure (at least I hope) it makes more than the 310hp in the RLX. The RLX hybrid is supposed to be 370hp and they're going to need a lot more than that in the NSX.

bristling with modern technology is great and all, but the new NSX is gonna have to have some legitimate muscle. if Honda only expects to sell the new NSX to current or previous NSX owners they won't sell very many cars at all. as evidenced here, many previous NSX owners aren't yet too excited by the new car, including myself. if it's going to compete among the best Supercars on the planet, it must also be one of them, and excite the imaginations of grown men and small boys accordingly. shoving an RLX-spec V6 in there certainly doesn't entice me any. this is the exact reason i never purchased a Lotus Evora, because it has a Toyota Camry engine under hood.

the main detractor of the GTR as unGodly fast as it is, is that the car can basically drive itself. the same is said of the McLaren MP4, that it's virtually impossible to get it wrong in that car. driving a Ferrari 458 on the other hand is an entirely and completely enthralling and encompassing experience. you absolutely have to drive that car. it is the most amazing car that i've ever put hard laps on, and also the most rewarding and exhilarating to drive. the car is simply a connection between driver and road, there is no ECU-powered disconnect. i'm hoping the new NSX embodies that same spirit. that it will be an analog car, not a digital one. that Honda will keep it light, make it cutting edge, and give it the horsepower it needs to compete. the original NSX chassis has the capacity for a lot more than 290 horsepower. i'd hoped for 2002 the NSX was gonna have a 4.0 V8 amidships with at least 400 horsepower. imagine how different the legacy of that car would be today were that the case?

none of us bought our NSX's because they were comfortable and reliable did we? could have bought a nice Honda Civic for a lot less money if that was the case. my manual NSX is still my favourite car in the world, to this day, no question. i just hope Honda will give the new NSX everything it needs to stand toe-to-toe with the best Supercars out there, and again ascend to the top of the podium. it simply can't be underpowered, no matter how innovating the front electric engines/AWD and other technological systems may be, it's gotta have some balls...

Somehow I am in 3 people's signatures. I guess even bad publicity is good publicity right WingZ?

bristling with modern technology is great and all, but the new NSX is gonna have to have some legitimate muscle. if Honda only expects to sell the new NSX to current or previous NSX owners they won't sell very many cars at all. as evidenced here, many previous NSX owners aren't yet too excited by the new car, including myself. if it's going to compete among the best Supercars on the planet, it must also be one of them, and excite the imaginations of grown men and small boys accordingly. shoving an RLX-spec V6 in there certainly doesn't entice me any. this is the exact reason i never purchased a Lotus Evora, because it has a Toyota Camry engine under hood.

the main detractor of the GTR as unGodly fast as it is, is that the car can basically drive itself. the same is said of the McLaren MP4, that it's virtually impossible to get it wrong in that car. driving a Ferrari 458 on the other hand is an entirely and completely enthralling and encompassing experience. you absolutely have to drive that car. it is the most amazing car that i've ever put hard laps on, and also the most rewarding and exhilarating to drive. the car is simply a connection between driver and road, there is no ECU-powered disconnect. i'm hoping the new NSX embodies that same spirit. that it will be an analog car, not a digital one. that Honda will keep it light, make it cutting edge, and give it the horsepower it needs to compete. the original NSX chassis has the capacity for a lot more than 290 horsepower. i'd hoped for 2002 the NSX was gonna have a 4.0 V8 amidships with at least 400 horsepower. imagine how different the legacy of that car would be today were that the case?

none of us bought our NSX's because they were comfortable and reliable did we? could have bought a nice Honda Civic for a lot less money if that was the case. my manual NSX is still my favourite car in the world, to this day, no question. i just hope Honda will give the new NSX everything it needs to stand toe-to-toe with the best Supercars out there, and again ascend to the top of the podium. it simply can't be underpowered, no matter how innovating the front electric engines/AWD and other technological systems may be, it's gotta have some balls...

It has never been stated that the new NSX will have an RLX engine. I am quite positive it's going to be an exclusive engine, especially with twin turbo rumors going around. It's going to share parts with the RLX like the original NSX shared parts with the original Legend...

The NSX is more reliable and comfortable compared to other exotics. It may not be more than a Civic or an Accord, but that is one of the attractive features of the original NSX. You can drive it everyday, rain, snow or dry, long road trips or around town, and it most likely will not break down on you.

The NSX is more reliable and comfortable compared to other exotics. It may not be more than a Civic or an Accord, but that is one of the attractive features of the original NSX. You can drive it everyday, rain, snow or dry, long road trips or around town, and it most likely will not break down on you.

the above can be said of almost any exotic these days, they're all reliable and comfortable. and all in complete thanx to the original NSX. i'm a massive NSX fan and owner. like many others, i just want Honda to make the next car in need of no excuses in the engine bay...

To top everything off, they won't offer it with a manual.

Is this confirmed?

Lost me, if that's the case. The only serious complaint about the gen 1 was the underpowered v6. Autotragic v6 hybrid? It will flop like the CRZ did. Don't ignore your customers wishes.

If they make that mistake twice, they deserve to go out of business...

Is this confirmed?

Lost me, if that's the case. The only serious complaint about the gen 1 was the underpowered v6. Autotragic v6 hybrid? It will flop like the CRZ did. Don't ignore your customers wishes.

If they make that mistake twice, they deserve to go out of business...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IJ_R-G_i4Xk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the above can be said of almost any exotic these days, they're all reliable and comfortable. and all in complete thanx to the original NSX. i'm a massive NSX fan and owner. like many others, i just want Honda to make the next car in need of no excuses in the engine bay...

I'm huge a fan also. Even current day exotics are still not as reliable as driving a 20 year old $30K-$40K NSX. More Comfortable? Sure. Make anything larger and it's usually more comfortable. The thing about the NSX is that it's a very low slung vehicle that is barely 45 inches tall on most occasion, but it's easier to get out of it then say a Lambo or Lotus. It's a spartan sports car that is livable and manageable.

So many want a V8 or V10 in the new NSX. V8 is Italian and German territory. Go buy one their cars and move on if the V8 is such a big deal. The original was a V6 so it's suitable that this one is going to be V6 whether it be turbo or not. The GTR is a V6 and Porsches/GT3 are six cylinders. They can hang with the big boys today just as Honda did back in the 90s. So why can't Honda do it again? Honda makes better engines than Nissan and I don't see Porsche doing as well in F1 as Honda did with McLaren. The step to V8 would make it appear even more Ferrari wannabe in the eyes of many elitist.

Lexus made a V10 front engine exotic. It's still relatively unknown to most auto enthusiast and is inaccessible to 99.9% of the world. I don't blame Honda for dropping that idea because it goes completely against what Honda and the NSX stand for.

Back