• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

#AcuraNSXOnTour

That's how the NSX was presented in Europe back then, and indeed it was cheaper, and more performant and reliable than the competition, that's how it got the attention of media (and a lot of people, including me, that's why i have one now). The NSX was built to compete against the Ferrari 348 (if i recall correctly) which Honda bought for the purpose of analyzing and testing. I also remember the prices which were much lower than the above mentioned competitors.
So can you tell me where the 1st NSX did not deliver ?
The 2nd NSX should bring amazing innovation or else it will stay rather anonymous in the long term.

First of all this is a topic about the NSX on Tour Test drive Honda is doing. Don't clutter it with this off topic arguing about if the car deserves the name. That's already been argued on this forum years ago in another thread. If you want to argue about it again look for the thread and post there not here.

Also I think we need to give DocJohn an award for best comic relief on prime. That moist joke was perfect lol.

Back on topic.

I have to say after seeing many pictures of it in the wild is actually kind of getting exciting now. It's kind of like when you know your package of some awesome cool car part is coming and you are like on the edge of your seat waiting to finally get it lol. Just want to read/see reviews of what Honda has done with the car. Could be a dud or it could be a masterpiece I guess we'll soon find out.

Last edited:
Which is not completely crazy given the 1st gen delivered that precisely. Also 1st gen was following to the letter the spirit of Honda at the time which was to do light weight, nimble cars that were driver centric. The new NSX seems quite heavy, and the design lines give the impression of a much bigger car than it is. When seeing it in person, i am far from wowed, as compared for instance to an Aventador or the small McLarens (just random examples). I didnt sit inside yet so i cannot comment on wether the "f16 cockpit" feel is still there or not...

Ted discussed that he wanted the team to focus on that aspect since it was vital in first gen with the forward open visibility. He's a true NSX fan IMO and I have faith in his zeal. Consider all of the NSX fans that come up to owners and give compliments on a regular basis. You don't see the team in Honda that is handling the development is keen on continuing the legacy, especially when random car enthusiasts go bananas over the NSX? I will of course hold my judgement until I sit in and drive one.

The size of the NSX similar to the Lambo and especially McLaren. Wait until they are sitting side by side. Only the Lambo will sit lower in overall height by about 2 inches. That difference can be had in smaller wheels and an inch drop in tire diameter as there is evidently a lot of wheel gap. The McLaren, 458 and NSX are all virtually the same height (~47.8 inches) and size.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I think we need to give DocJohn an award for best comic relief on prime. That moist joke was perfect lol.

Yes, I think he's mastered it with a zen-like posting style.

Miller Motorsports Park

New NSX at Miller Motorsports Park

Attachments

• 11217171_10207464575201322_7173727956857107161_n.jpg
    11217171_10207464575201322_7173727956857107161_n.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,182
nice shots of the two......keep stalking....

You have to admit that if you try to photograph the first gen NSX upclose or pretty much any car, it looks funny and distorted. I think cars in motion from far away coming up closer to the eye to the way to properly experience the form.

Yes, I can admit that. But the NSX does seem to be a bit taller at the nose. Do you think this is because, given the short hood, the designers felt that tapering (or lowering) the nose might make the car look stubby or more egg-like?

- - - Updated - - -

New NSX at Miller Motorsports Park

attachment.php

This shot illustrates what I, and perhaps N-Spec, are saying about the distant vantage point. These cars look so good here, its sick.

Also, although I am not a huge fan of tack-on wings, the larger rear deck spoilers really give the car a great look. Wish they would make it part of the body and in body color.

Last edited:
Yes, I can admit that. But the NSX does seem to be a bit taller at the nose. Do you think this is because, given the short hood, the designers felt that tapering (or lowering) the nose might make the car look stubby or more egg-like?

I think it's the opposite logic for the designers actually. I think they wanted to give the illusions of short overhangs while also helping with scraping by truncating the corners. Had they sloped or sharpened the hoodline/nose further it would have either made the headlight height fall under federal regulation or they could have extended the nose like the 458 or first gen in effect losing the short overhang. The actual hoodline height of the new NSX is probably right at the minimal required by law. Here is a top view comparison to assist in what I'm talking about:

NSXTopComparo_zpspevgkgw8.jpg

You can see the new NSX's is really long, even longer than the first and as long as the Aventador. However the arrow-shape tapering of the rear end gives it the illusion of a short/stubby rear end, but in fact, it has a much longer tail than the original NSX's rear end which is known for it's prominent dragon like tail. Had the rear end of the new NSX been more square-ish like typicaly sports cars, it would have come across as less rounded and more prominent at the quarter angle shots. This is also why from far away it looks better because there is less perspective and distortion to the geometry. The same can be said for most cars also.

It's a bold and unique move on Honda's part for sure as most sports cars just go with the traditional square wedge shape like the first gen NSX, but I think in future revisions they should revisit a new take on how to keep the NSX looking unique and lose the short-overhang/arrow style tail given that this is the source of much criticism, even if most people can't articulate why they feel the way they do about the new NSX.

I think it's the opposite logic for the designers actually. I think they wanted to give the illusions of short overhangs while also helping with scraping by truncating the corners. Had they sloped or sharpened the hoodline/nose further it would have either made the headlight height fall under federal regulation or they could have extended the nose like the 458 or first gen in effect losing the short overhang. The actual hoodline height of the new NSX is probably right at the minimal required by law. Here is a top view comparison to assist in what I'm talking about:

NSXTopComparo_zpspevgkgw8.jpg

You can see the new NSX's is really long, even longer than the first and as long as the Aventador. However the arrow-shape tapering of the rear end gives it the illusion of a short/stubby rear end, but in fact, it has a much longer tail than the original NSX's rear end which is known for it's prominent dragon like tail. Had the rear end of the new NSX been more square-ish like typicaly sports cars, it would have come across as less rounded and more prominent at the quarter angle shots. This is also why from far away it looks better because there is less perspective and distortion to the geometry. The same can be said for most cars also.

It's a bold and unique move on Honda's part for sure as most sports cars just go with the traditional square wedge shape like the first gen NSX, but I think in future revisions they should revisit a new take on how to keep the NSX looking unique and lose the short-overhang/arrow style tail given that this is the source of much criticism, even if most people can't articulate why they feel the way they do about the new NSX.

I see what you mean. You could be right. Two thoughts: Isn't that top view the 2013 show car and not the production car? I think the production car has a bit more front and rear overhang. Secondly, when you say the new car has a much longer tail, what do you mean? To me the length of a car's tail really means the length of the rear overhang. In other words, the distance from the rear edge of the rear tire and the tip of the rear bumper. I don't think your red lines above reflect that definition.

Here is the other variable and why I've been supporting the body color nose piece instead of chrome/black as it gives the illusion of a disappearing nose or shorter nose. Look how low the hoodline looks with the body color strip at the tip versus the current OEM style:

NSXColorFront_zps2fgsolwz.jpg

Here you can see that the hoodline/nose is not that stubby at all and is actually very sharp when there is less distortion:

acura-nsx-4841.jpg

Now look what the body colored nose-piece does- extends it even more:

NSXColorSideview_zps4givejpq.jpg

Honda has made a good looking car. It's just details now.

- - - Updated - - -

I see what you mean. You could be right. Two thoughts: Isn't that top view the 2013 show car and not the production car? I think the production car has a bit more front and rear overhang. Secondly, when you say the new car has a much longer tail, what do you mean? To me the length of a car's tail really means the length of the rear overhang. In other words, the distance from the rear edge of the rear tire and the tip of the rear bumper. I don't think your red lines above reflect that definition.

It is the concept car. The production extended the wheel base (thus length) and height and width marginally.

I mean in the sense of relation to seating position and engine midpoint for the longer tail. The new NSX requires a longer rear end to suit the new engine layout and fit some trunk space.

- - - Updated - - -

What the Aventador would look like with a blackened nose tip:

Aventador_zpsk9o0i6tg.jpg

See how the hoodline looks raised.

I'm not here to flex on who has driven and experienced more Hondas, but I've got you beat on ownership experience and time behind wheels or ontop of seat of various Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, etc, (the list can go on for very long) given my profession and lifestyle. I can sit here and beat the dead horse on how the new NSX resembles the old and how it doesn't. I've done an extensive study personally and publicly. If you or other diehard NSX/Honda fans don't see it, then so be it. I see what I see and others see what they see. The fact is the new designers respected the old design and paid plenty of homages to it. They've all gone on the record and said it.

And the truth is design is art and it's never going to be universal like science is which is essentially irrefutable once proven. There is no song or painting that everyone likes and the closest ones are consider "pop" and cars like the NSX do not fit in that category. It's no wonder Honda is not giving special treatment to current NSX owners -the majority of them seem to expect a $60K car that looks like a $200-300K Ferrari/Lambo and expects it to mop the floor with them.

Most of the criticism that I've seen are more from old school Honda fans that have bad taste in their mouth from recent turnouts instead of actual quantified logic as to why they don't like it. I'm just telling you to show the picture to random people and ask them which one they like better. That can be quantified and it will show that the new NSX will garner more votes.

I'm not squashing your criticism. I respected your opinion before, tried to reason/debate with you logically, and I've never tried to insult you. I didn't tell you to get lost -others like SilverSebring did. If you take it personal, than that's your problem, not mine. I'm just telling you to be more constructive with your posts instead ranting on and on about how you dislike it. You know the guy at the party that's a debbie-downer -Look in the reflection of the screen you are viewing right now.

- - - Updated - - -

You have to admit that if you try to photograph the first gen NSX upclose or pretty much any car, it looks funny and distorted. I think cars in motion from far away coming up closer to the eye to the way to properly experience the form.

So based on your profession and lifestyle - - I trust that you have the new NSX on order? or are you also going to wait 12 years or so to get one like your 95? I'm just curious - it sounds like that you have appointed yourself as the expert with this new car.

So based on your profession and lifestyle - - I trust that you have the new NSX on order? or are you also going to wait 12 years or so to get one like your 95? I'm just curious - it sounds like that you have appointed yourself as the expert with this new car.

Yes, I will wait about 10 years for the car to depreciate fully, but I wouldn't be able to afford the new price tag either way. Even if I could though, I would never buy new. I don't buy into depreciation based on what I observed in my profession. So I'm that kind of an asshole consumer that lets someone else take the plunge and hit. BTW, I have a 92 NSX now.

I didn't appoint myself as anything. I'm just up here killing time and boredom in various discussions and debates.

Video of engine revving. Sounds like a mutant high tech, high revving sewing machine. Very thin with little bass or grunt. Muscle car lovers will hate this.

That's anemic...

..........but it has those bigasswheels you so desire:wink:

N Spec those are really good observations and very fine details that I definitely would not have been able to articulate before. Great demonstration of how the colors alone (body color or not) have such a big effect on the car's overall appearance.

Some really good quality postings and observations. Huge thanks for articulating what you mean with images!

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, I'm a fan of the original nsx but never an owner. It was way out of my price range as a kid and it didn't help that I wasn't able to drive when it came out.

i don't see the car as having a huge following in a way that people contemplate its heritage and insist on the new one sharing dna. Does it have years of racing experience and multiple evolutions that I'm not aware of? Take the gt-r and you can easily plot its dna evolving over many iterations. The gtr moniker is therefore worth honouring.

i don't feel that way about the nsx. This is only the second model to have the name so the bloodline is not exactly an established tradition to me, that warrants common design features.

I actually can't see similarities side by side and am not fainting at the design of what I do see. It looks very nice but not in a way that makes me ache to buy it.

i do think there's a similarity of being a giant killer on a budget but I think most people are missing the comparison. Many are saying it's almost it's almost in the same price range as the cars it's supposed to compare to. I completely disagree and think this is what makes it identical to the original nsx and therefore worthy of the name (allowing that the name has some meaning).

The only rivals for this nsx are sports cars that take a performance advantage from a hybrid drivetrain. I count only three of those and all are around £1m. That's enough for me to be hugely interested.

On a separate note, I'm really hoping the ti conrods make it in to nsx 2.0.

While the 1st NSX had almost no evolution, it does have a racing heritage, and more following that you might think (including lots of fans of Ayrton Senna, who really promoted the car), us owners are even surprised at how many people are actual fans of the car. So yes it's still obscure for most non-car enthusiasts but for people who paid a little attention in the 90's it's still iconic as it really made a splash in the small supercar world. In France magazines were raving about it being the "reliable Ferrari"...
I disagree that the rivals are limited to supercar hybrids. From a pragmatic point of view the rivals are cars available at the same price point, are they more performant, light, reliable ? That's the question and i'm waiting for the answer in proper road tests :)

Last edited:
I don't think the rivals are limited to hybrid supercars, only that they should be included and hence give the nsx an opportunity to be a performance hyper car bargain like the first was.

Yes you can compare to similarly priced rivals but you don't see many comparing the original to its similarly pruced rivals of the day like TVRs or the Lotus Esprit.

I don't think the rivals are limited to hybrid supercars, only that they should be included and hence give the nsx an opportunity to be a performance hyper car bargain like the first was.

Yes you can compare to similarly priced rivals but you don't see many comparing the original to its similarly pruced rivals of the day like TVRs or the Lotus Esprit.

Oh you reminded me of this issue of Road & Track that I still have somewhere in a box. Can't believe someone posted it online. Brings back memories...

6AD9CBC5-9E32-4579-9B5D-4DC3297A811C_zpsfmfn5omt.jpg

1DD0B57B-64CF-4977-A01A-4E9F52C87B3A_zpsilzqlyml.jpg

611D2E48-7F34-4A37-8632-C04BC1417CF9_zps5xccgtrc.jpg

E7016A0C-6968-42C7-9CEB-8D4781CC0A56_zpsktcxdasc.jpg

4D0CEB29-249B-4980-ADBE-903796BF30EA_zpsrnrddgot.jpg

D0CEA086-1762-42D8-ABAD-55C421B290EB_zpsggiua8pj.jpg

N Spec those are really good observations and very fine details that I definitely would not have been able to articulate before. Great demonstration of how the colors alone (body color or not) have such a big effect on the car's overall appearance.

Some really good quality postings and observations. Huge thanks for articulating what you mean with images!

Thanks. I have a degree in Deisgn and Engineeering (Art and Science) so I've always been interested in trying to figure out or quantify the human taste.

Cheater! You should have stopped the blakening at the nose edge. Cheater!

The new NSX's nose is blackened so I was showing the similar instance on the low stanced Lambo.

- - - Updated - - -

That Espirit Turbo vs. NSX comparison is cool. Thanks for sharing. I suppose those 225/50/16s did not provide that much traction for the NSX tho eh? Lol.

Back