• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aem Fic Fmu

Re: Aem Fic Fmu!!

Devin how precise is this compared to the EMS? So would it interfere with OBDII emmisions tests? here we just get a plug in to the OBDII if there are no CELs you pass.

Lovefab has been recently working on some AEM F/IC beta testing and Science of Speed is getting ready to perform some testing as well.

As of this last week, the results have been extremely good and the 97 test vehicle is running great! Should have some more information early next week.

Information can be found here: http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=116

I can't wait until this is released !!!! :biggrin:

I been doing a LOT OF RESEARCH and this thing should work BEAUTIFUL! i'm buying one in a few hours. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow! this is going to be installed on a 91.

Am I missing something?

Will this do more than an AEM EMS will?

Am I wrong in thinking that it is going to do the same thing, without disconnecting your factory ECU? So smog will be less of an issue, and it costs about $500 less than an EMS?

Plus, there is no NSX harness for it yet.

Does it change anything else but smog and saving $500?

I been doing a LOT OF RESEARCH and this thing should work BEAUTIFUL! i'm buying one in a few hours. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow! this is going to be installed on a 91.

Dude where are you buying one from ?? I been looking for it and need one too. Goodluck tommorrow hope it works well for you.

Lovefab has been recently working on some AEM F/IC beta testing and Science of Speed is getting ready to perform some testing as well.

As of this last week, the results have been extremely good and the 97 test vehicle is running great! Should have some more information early next week.

Information can be found here: http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=116

The cat has escaped the bag. While the unit itself has hit the market.....you'll have to let us know Devin on when the plug and play adapter harness will be ready for the NSX.

It was good to go to the AEM forums and read that the NSX is on the list to get a plug and play adapter.

J. R.

Am I missing something?

Will this do more than an AEM EMS will?

Am I wrong in thinking that it is going to do the same thing, without disconnecting your factory ECU? So smog will be less of an issue, and it costs about $500 less than an EMS?

Plus, there is no NSX harness for it yet.

Does it change anything else but smog and saving $500?

The F/IC does not control anymore functions than the AEM EMS does. The EMS is a FULL STANDALONE which allows the fine-tuning of anything wired into it. The F/IC was designed to be a very powerful "piggyback" controller. However, do not underestimate the F/IC.

The F/IC controls or alters ignition timing(retard only), Fuel injectors, MAF/MAP clamps, and 02 clamps. This is usually enough to run most FI setups out there, as long as it's tuned well.

Your factory ECU is retained and there should be no interference issues with most smog tests; I stress should because we have not run through a smog test due to the fact that our turbo systems do not utilize catalytic converters.

For now, we simply wire an adapter harness for the proper application that way the factory engine harness is untouched.

If anyone has any questions I'll try my hardest to answer them. My schedule over the next few weeks will not allow much internet time so try to be patient if I don't answer immediately.

Thanks!

-Cody

I have the 97 with the new AEM F/IC that Devin mentioned in this thread. I am picking my car up tomorrow and I can't wait.:smile: This set up is in conjunction with a Lovefab turbo. Cody has worked diligently with Lovefab as this was a beta installation and being in I.T., I know what that means - lots of time. The good news is that AEM now has a solid solution. I will report back after tomorrow, but I know that Cody was really excited about how it performed. I don't any have any dyno charts yet - that is a couple weeks out. But I do have this for your viewing pleasure:

2090207_16_full.jpg

The F/IC does not control anymore functions than the AEM EMS does. The EMS is a FULL STANDALONE which allows the fine-tuning of anything wired into it. The F/IC was designed to be a very powerful "piggyback" controller. However, do not underestimate the F/IC.

The F/IC controls or alters ignition timing(retard only), Fuel injectors, MAF/MAP clamps, and 02 clamps. This is usually enough to run most FI setups out there, as long as it's tuned well.

Your factory ECU is retained and there should be no interference issues with most smog tests; I stress should because we have not run through a smog test due to the fact that our turbo systems do not utilize catalytic converters.

For now, we simply wire an adapter harness for the proper application that way the factory engine harness is untouched.

If anyone has any questions I'll try my hardest to answer them. My schedule over the next few weeks will not allow much internet time so try to be patient if I don't answer immediately.

Thanks!

-Cody
Do you happen to have a wiring diagram?

Last edited:
I was able to drive my car on Woodward last night. There were many cars cruising up and down, so I had just a few opportunities to open it up. It ran very well; no hesitation, very stock-like. That is, until the wastegate opens up:biggrin: . Cody is going to perform some post-install tuning in a few weeks, but things are very good, from my perspective. Again, dyno to follow in a few weeks.

I have the fic connected and running with the 550's. I seem to be having a problem.. I keep getting two codes, cam1 and cam2. it keeps causing my car to stall. Are the cam sensors mag, thats how i have it wired up. I'll have a full write up with wiring diagram and pictures, step by step. I'll have maps out by the end of next week. I don't like holding back, maybe it'll help someone who was in my shoes. Oh yeah the tunning is very simple, user friendly.

IMPORTANT!!!
If you have a late model nsx you have to send the unit back in for hardware update.

I'll have a full write up with wiring diagram and pictures, step by step. I'll have maps out by the end of next week. I don't like holding back, maybe it'll help someone who was in my shoes. Oh yeah the tunning is very simple, user friendly.

Your writeup will indeed help those of us who are looking for an AEM standalone alternative. Just some encouragement - I, for one, will appreciate as much detail as you can provide. Thanks!

John

Last edited:
i read this on aem.

The standard convention is for the voltage to rise and then when the edge of the tooth crosses it falls rapidly and spikes to a negative voltage. On Hondas this is reversed. It starts at zero, goes negative till the tooth edge is crossed and then spikes rapidly upward, through zero to a positive signal.

I will switch the wires polarity and see what happens. maybe thats why i'm having a CEL.

Any updates on this? Problems encountered with the stock ecu trying to override the FIC changes in fuel or timing? Is this something that could eventually be a better alternative to the AEM standalone, at least in regard to diagnosis and service at an Acura dealer, or will the FIC pretty much put a car into the same status as the standalone regarding dealer service?

there are some issues with wiring and hardware. i'm wating for aem to solve the issue with cold start. I hope they have a remedie by next week. I'm working on the wiring diagram i'll have the right one out in a few days. don't follow the aem wiring diagram.

Our turbo test car is still running great. AEM engineers haven't issued a wiring diagram specific to the NSX yet, so I would really wait until that happens before commiting to purchase and install. This is still considered a beta test for the NSX.

I also wouldn't recommend this for OBD1 (91 - 94) because without a diagnostics port, you don't have the ability to read the factory computer parameters. This is VERY important.

I have a 91 that I am preparing for a sc install. I cant get myself to do it blind so I want data. I do not plan to use the injector controls in this module yet and even when I do it will be very small changes. Right now I just need I/O for fuel pressure, wideband 02 and boost. Plus I would like to log duration and timing possibly IAT.

Would you still not recommend this box on a 91 for my use?

there are some issues with wiring and hardware. i'm wating for aem to solve the issue with cold start. I hope they have a remedie by next week. I'm working on the wiring diagram i'll have the right one out in a few days. don't follow the aem wiring diagram.

Warren: I see on the AEM forums that your are progressing... can you update here? thanks!

Devin:
I have ordered this for my '91 high-boost whipple... seems like a perfect solution! Do you have any updates that would apply to an OBDI NSX?
thanks!

Back