• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

After 10 years,sold my NSX, moved on to a 996 GT3

Hi everyone,

so after 10 years of NSX ownership, I felt it was time to move on to something else. Even though I loved my NSX (it was my daily driver for a few years, then became my weekend car and track day car), I could only justify having 1 fun/impractical car and was getting the itch to try something else and let someone else enjoy my car.

So I sold the NSX a few weeks ago, and started my search for my next car. My criteria for my next car were:

-something I can reliably track without having to dump a ton of of money into it
-be as fast/faster then my supercharged track prepped NSX was
-something that won't depreciate like crazy (that ruled out new cars)
-something that would be fun to drive to and from work once in a while as well

With this, I came to the conclusion that an 04-05 911 GT3 fit these criteria pretty perfectly...The "bad" thing about these cars for me is that they only sold about 1000 of them in America, and a number of them have been totaled on the track, so they are reallllly hard to find..

The other bad thing about them (for me), is that people are starting to get wind of this, and they have been skyrocketing in value recently...Had I made this decision two years ago, I probably could have picked one up for $15-20k less then what I had to pay now :(

In any case, I started looking nationwide for the car, and after chatting/emailing with sellers all over the country, I was lucky enough to find one LOCALLY, and picked it up last Wednesday :).

I haven't been able to track it yet, but so far I am enjoying it quite a bit. Some observations from my very brief time with the car:

I honestly think the car is good looking. I think the NSX overall is a better looking car, and I know Porsche die-hards hate the 996 headlights, but I personally think it looks good. I also think the car looks much better in person then in photos, and the GT3 aero kit really makes it look much better then a base 911 Carrera.

The interior is fairly bad (cheap plastics, etc) however it doesn't look nearly as bad as it does in pictures, and I honestly kind of like it with the aluminum-look painted parts and full leather that this car was optioned with. My car also has the Euro club GT3 seats, which are amazing and hold you in really well. Also, the shifting is not NEARLY as nice as the NSX, which says a lot about how good the NSX was considering my NSX was a 91, so 13 years older. The clutch is stiff, but not unbearable like I was worried it would be from reading reviews online. The ride is quite stiff as well, although mine has upgraded JRZ RS coilovers, so I can't comment on what a stock GT3 feels like.

Most importantly, the engine is fantastic, and sounds incredible. It feels very similar to my Supercharged NSX, to be honest, which I loved. High revving (8200 redline), dynod at 360 hp (so about 400 at the crank) and like 270 ftlbs of torque, and weight around 3100 lbs.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions about this transition or comparisons with my GT3, feel free to PM me..I just wanted to share this and say thanks to this forum, as it helped me A TON over the past years.I am sure I will be lurking on this forum still regardless of if I have an NSX anymore or not.

Last edited:
Congratulation. I have only saw two 996 GT3s ever. They are rare.

Please post some pictures of your GT3. I know you will one day buy another NSX. It's just the law.

Congrats Skyline. Porsche is a fun breed of cars. But cost of running it on the track may not be any cheaper (if not more) than any other cars. I used to track a 997 GT3. Consumables are far greater than BMW/Honda. Now having said that, it is a great experience. GT3 never overheats and dead reliable for track. They are trusly a great dual purpose car. Go become part of Rennlist forum if you have not already.

Congrats, but....... Pics bro, Pics......??!!

here are some quick pics I snapped from my iPhone..

Attachments

• IMG_3955.jpg
    IMG_3955.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_3953.jpg
    IMG_3953.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_3954.jpg
    IMG_3954.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_3981.JPG
    IMG_3981.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_3980.JPG
    IMG_3980.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_3979.JPG
    IMG_3979.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 251
Very nice. I too like to 996 era of the 911 and owned a 2004 TT Cab with the X-50 package. Mine was one of 25 built by the factory and it was a fun car to drive. I never tracked it, but it was too fast for the streets down here in Florida. I ended up selling it for a $15k profit after 1yr of ownership.

Enjoy it, I'm sure it's a blast to drive.

Congrats. Looks really nice actually. So what can these be bought for?

Congrats. Looks really nice actually. So what can these be bought for?

I think around 2012 you could pick one up between $40-50k, depending on mileage or condition.

Now, from what I have seen, to get a clean one with low to mid miles you are looking to spend mid $60s, and sellers of garage queens with low miles (under 25k) are asking anywhere from $80-90k. From what I have read, the brand new 2014/2-15 GT3s being only PDK with no manual transmission option have caused the 996 and 997 GT3s to go up in value. Now, 996 GT3s are selling for what 997 GT3s sold for just a few years ago, and low mileage 997 GT3s are selling for their original MSRP or more in some cases.

I also think Porsche cars in general are "hot" right now in the collector's market, which may have something to do with the increase in price. If you look at the mid 90s air cooled turbos, those cars are going through the roof right now, selling for $200k or more in some cases.

Who knows, I may have bought the car at the top of the price bubble, but I'm not a collector and bought it to use it and track it, not as an investment.

Thanks. I've been looking at used Cayman S's. 30K gets me a really nice Cayman S. It's unbelievable.

Great choice, there's nothing like the Porsche GT cars. I was on the fence on GT3 vs Turbo but decided on the Turbo as its only a street car and I have the Zanardi still which represented a similar experience of the GT3. I drove both and it was a no brainer to me. Ironically i could have bought a 996 GT3 with sub 10k miles for $47k. :( So I sold my CTSC'd NSX and couldn't be happier.

Can someone explain the infatuation with air cooled 90s 911s? $200k is a lot of money for that car and it's limited abilities IMO (I know the market disagrees)

Can someone explain the infatuation with air cooled 90s 911s? $200k is a lot of money for that car and it's limited abilities IMO (I know the market disagrees)

Actually very similiar to the NSX recent market activity. Not a super fast car, same body style for 14 years, and certaintly not ultra limited production but just amazing machines.

I consider them rolling art and the market has spoken. Not to mention the "NEW GEN" money that had posters of these cars on their walls growing up and now have the ability to purchase them.

Biggest auto mistake I made was when I bought my 911 Turbo. Could have had a 993 Turbo with 30k for $70k or my 996 Turbo with 9k for $52k. My Turbo is probably worth a couple grand more and the 993 would probably have doubled by now if not more.

Ironically one of the only times I didnt listen to my wife's advice.

The analog/mechanical "feel" and experience of the 993 is perhaps the hallmark for many, but personally speaking, I'm more into the 930/964 and 997/991; former has more character and the latter more technology. Obviously, I'm one (of the few) in the swim-lane against the current/tide...

Thanks. I've been looking at used Cayman S's. 30K gets me a really nice Cayman S. It's unbelievable.

Pends on the year. 2006-08 still suffer the IMS issue, not to the degree of the 00-05, but still an issue. And unlike the 00-05 bearing, there is not a replacement solution unless you rebuild the engine.

Pends on the year. 2006-08 still suffer the IMS issue, not to the degree of the 00-05, but still an issue. And unlike the 00-05 bearing, there is not a replacement solution unless you rebuild the engine.

Huh 00-05? The Cayman wasn't introduced until 2006. Are you talking about the Boxter?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, when I was getting frustrated with the NSX market when looking for my current NSX I started looking at the Cayman.. There are some really good deals on these cars. I really like the new body style and I'm sure they will be in the 30's soon.... Would love to have one someday.

Huh 00-05? The Cayman wasn't introduced until 2006. Are you talking about the Boxter?

Kinda. The IMS issue affected the 911, Boxster, and the Cayman. The years included in the Class Action are 2000-05, but the full IMS redesign didn't happen until 2009.

Back