• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aftermarket shocks

The Bilsteins may very well be the better product in terms of quality control, although Koni fans would probably argue otherwise. However, they are both well built and if I were to choose between the two (which I did), there are much more important factors to consider. As I've often said on this forum, Bilstein does not build a "Sport" shock for the NSX. I emphasize this because many vendors list them as such and it simply is not true. The Sport designation has a very specific meaning at Bilstein, indicating a shock with significantly higher valve rates than stock, and typically with larger pistons etc. They are designed with the assumption that stiffer than stock springs will be used, which is a critical point. The only NSX replacement they make is in the HD (Heavy Duty) line, which is their OEM replacement. The HD designation is a typical marketing ploy to make the basic model sound better than it is, but in the case of Bilstein they are no doubt much better than the OEM units in many cars. The important thing here is that the damping rates are not significantly different than stock.

Damping rates are very important because they need to work in harmony with the springs that you will run. If you plan to run stock springs, then the Bilsteins are an excellent choice, although they don't have an adjustable rebound rate like the Koni. If you plan to go with a stiff linear rate spring such as the H&R's, then I would rate the Bilsteins as a poor choice because the car will be significantly over-sprung/under-damped and will exhibit a pogo effect over bumps. If you will run a progressive rate spring such as Eibach that starts soft then stiffens more rapidly, you could probably go either way, although I suspect the Bilsteins would still pogo when pressed hard through bumpy corners.

I installed the Bilstein/H&R combination but within a week ordered the Konis and then sold the Bilsteins. Had I known before I ordered them that the Bilsteins were not really the Sport model I could have saved some time and money, but at least I can now offer first-hand knowledge of how the two combinations work.

So, you need to consider the springs and shock as a unit when deciding what to get. You might also want to factor in what if anything you want to do in terms of different anti-sway bars because they too have an impact on both handling and road harshness. In short, you need to start by stating clearly your purpose in changing from OEM parts. What are your goals? Then you need to weigh the pros and cons of each combination of parts in terms of handling, comfort, ground clearance, etc. If you can quantify or at least prioritize those factors then the decision will be a simpler one.

While you’re at it and depending on your goals, consider some of the adjustable coil-overs available from Dali and Science of Speed. That’s where I’m headed next. (Sooner if you decide you want my like-new Koni/H&R combo
smile.gif
)

Just got my TEIN coilovers installed today.WOW!!! These are a radical difference.We also adjusted them down "a dramatic difference in looks,handling,high speed turning ability and confidence through the turns.I am amazed at the difference. :):):)

------------------

Originally posted by MYNSX:
Just got my TEIN coilovers installed today.WOW!!! These are a radical difference.We also adjusted them down "a dramatic difference in looks,handling,high speed turning ability and confidence through the turns.I am amazed at the difference.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Congrats. Now let's dissect your feedback ....
smile.gif

You have a coupe or T (year)? Other mods? And is the ride comfortable for say 2 hour road trips/drives ..... ? I understand that TEIN is stiffer than the Zanardi and many have commented that the Zanardi is not comfortable for trips but great on the track.

YMMV

Originally posted by ChopsJazz:
So sjs, springs and shocks for sale, eh?

Yes and no. I need to decide between the HKS and Tien options but don't have enough info yet. Then I need to get those and find the time to get them on the car. That's when I'll post the others for sale. If someone really wanted what I have I would try to accelerate the process, but otherwise I'm in no hurry. I probably won’t track the car much this year anyway since I’m trying to do a bit of wheel-wheel and don’t have time for both. Still, I’d like to have the adjustability and prefer not to simply add threaded collars and perches to the Konis.

Congrats. Now let's dissect your feedback ....

I dont find the suspension to be harsh or hard,It is curently set at the MIDDLE of the soft-firm mode as Mark has indicated.I am going to use the car the same way as I did before "daily driver 15k+ per year or more.No, I do not plan to track the car "unless it is for fun" .
What I would not concider is driving "any" NSX in the areas of NY where I previously resided all year(now a part timer).But thats just me and my opinion."Dis-ageeing parties need not comment on this"
The reason why I feel this way is because after residing in AZ there is a tremendous difference in the quality of the roads I need to travel every day.Not that their aren't nice areas in NY "but" I do not frequent these well maintained areas on a daily basis,as a matter in fact I usually have encountered pot holes large enough to eat an entire wheel "or close to it". For those areas or similar I would choose a radically different vehicle.For Me...

------------------

Hi Bill --

Glad you enjoy your new suspension.

Remember that the dampers have 21-way adjustability, however, the dampers only have an effective range of 16 clicks. You should always adjust the shocks by setting to full firm (clockwise) and backing down to the desired position.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

10-4.
I'll do some more testing tomorrow.With different settings unfortunately the paper work was in Japanese...
Did you get that other part out to Mark Fed-Ex or similar? ,as I will drop the car Monday after =noon for the nav/dvd/camp hook-up.
The suspension is "night and day" has eliminated any what felt like sway or body roll"probably not the latter".
Swinging like a monkey through the trees!!
It insures tremendous confidence at high speed turns as to remind me of the GP 125 Road Racing I stopped back in 97'.
My first thought was turns 1 and 6 (the long sweeper)at Louden International,New Hampshire "what a great track".I'm sure I'd like to track it just for fun "possibly Purump" this year.

------------------

PS- 92' coupe (give me rigidity or give me death).
Mods- (the ones that matter in this case) NOS,455's/short gearset/ring and pinion,RM racing exhaust,RM intake,centerforce clutch,there is a laundry list "but" they are either not currently on the car "or" do not apply to performance.

------------------

Back