• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

*ALERT* Stolen Car!!!

BTW, I think this auto theft is not taken seriously by Law enforcement agency.

As some of you might recall, we lost our Civic race car last May. The cops, with the help of local kids that got their cars stolen caught the guy. HE is 17 y.o. His parents has money, and he is living in a big house. In his house cops found parts and estimating the kid has stolen total of 17 cars. Yet, he only got a slap in the wrist, aka, probation!

Originally posted by snapper:

Watch the Recycler and ebay. I am sure we all will.

This is a great idea. Since some of us look through the classifieds out of curiosity anyway.

Darkcyd, you need to give us specifics about your car like VIN number, year, etc.

More importantly, give us description and location of scratches/dents and other character marks on the car that only you may know. If we happen to come across a black NSX, we can look for them specifically.

You may also want to call the local towing company that works that street. I know in DC, I had my other car towed and thought it was stolen.....

just a thought....

------------------
Biaggi
92 NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

I hate to hear that....
I think all auto theft should think of what happen to the guy in SF last month before they steal other's car:
He stole a Civic and he was pull over by couple police cars, when he try to run away, he backed up the civic and knock down one of the police officer, the other two officers in his front side shot eight bullets, and five of the bullets got into his chest....
By the way, does anyone know that NSX is always a target of auto theft? Are there a lot of NSX's have been stolen out there?

[This message has been edited by NSXER119 (edited 25 March 2003).]

Yeah, I'm definitely keeping an eye out on Ebay and I'll try to get my hands on the recycler as well. I'm also watching out for 'newbie's parting out a car. I would definitely appreciate it if the community keeps their eyes and ears open for me as well. That'll make my job a lot easier. =)

I'm well covered by Farmers insurance so I'm not too worried about it on that side of things.

The VIN is JH4NA1152PT000088

Trademark markings:

Exterior:

1. Front bumper is cracked in the area where the radiator is.
2. The radio antenna mast is black instead of the metallic stock.
3. Driver side column between the driver window and rear hatch features two spots of paint wear.
4. Passenger side front wheel ripped off the bottom part of the plastic air deflectors, I cut off the remnants with scissors. Not noticeable normally, but it is if you're looking for it.
5. Passenger side front headlight cover has a back corner exhibiting paint chip from rubbing.

Interior:

1. Very front center of dash where it meets the windshield has a crack.
2. Passenger side airbag does not exist and has an improvised cover.
3. Climate control/Stereo console is exhibiting paint bubbles/crinkling.

Parts to look out for:

1. Volk Racing GT-N's. 17" fronts, 18" rears
2. Sony Xplod 800w amplifier, custom fiberglass inverted Illusion subwoofer enclosure for passenger footwell.
3. Blue NOS bottle and NOS dry system.

That's about all I can think of right now. I'll come back to this later. And thank you, you guys are the best.

That sucks. I hope you get it back or not if it's wrecked. There seems to be a good market for used NSX parts as they are so expensive.

From Noclgdeg:
"WHY DIDN'T YOU HAVE LOJACK ON THE VEHICLE??????????????????????????"

That's kind of harsh! I have considered Lojack and decided that it is still not 100% fool prove. I don't believe Mexico police have the lojack tracking devices. So it is useless if the car is out of the support zone.

Alarm with pager only work when you are not too far from the car. So it is not protected when you are not with my car.

From Ian:
"Has anyone looked into the growing number of vehicle tracking systems that combine a GPS with a cell phone service and then allow you to actually track your car on the internet?"

I have been tracking the development of a couple of companies developing tracking device using GPS technologies.

STM Wireless, was later became Skynetics and folded last year.

Axiom Navigation got bought out and in 2/03 shut down operation.

One of my colleague's husband worked for these companies while they were around. He gives her the call-sign so that she can show me exactly where he is at all time. One of the prototype that is still with him is transmitting every couple of minutes. That is what I need in my car.
http://www.findu.com/

Unfortunately, none of these companies are around anymore. But I'm confident that eventually, it'll be available to the general public.

A kill switch sounds really good right about now.

[This message has been edited by CDube (edited 25 March 2003).]

Sorry to hear about the theft of your car.
frown.gif
*comfort*

hope it wasn't a korean person(s) who stole it because they are usually wonderful people.

I think Lojack and those types of systems only have limited potency. Most people who are courageous enough to steal high-end vehicles usually have a plan and usually have access to someone who is familiar with these types of systems. If the theft is not noticed within an hour or so, it is fairly likely that the transmitter will have already been found and neutralized. I think the most effective means of protecting your car is a clutch 'club' and various kill switches that you can use, depending on the 'threat level' to your car.

Some ideas include kill switches related to fuses, punching codes using stereo buttons, having to have a certain function on the car activated before the ignition will go (such as parking lights or climate control set to specific temp), etc.

Anyhow, does anyone know how best to get the police to actively search for the vehicle? From my observation, they simply input the VIN and Plate # into their national network of stolen vehicles. But obviously it is not that difficult to change out the plate and/or the VIN tag if you know what you are doing. Is there any means of combatting this?

Originally posted by Darkcyd:
Anyhow, does anyone know how best to get the police to actively search for the vehicle? From my observation, they simply input the VIN and Plate # into their national network of stolen vehicles.

Unfortunately, no. I don't mean to minimize your loss, but put it in perspective... it's a 10 year old Acura with a value of about $30K. There's just nothing special there.

If it were a $280K Lamborghini that was owned by a celebrity, maybe they'd let the patrol divisions know in their roll call to look out for it, but even that is unlikely, especially in a large metro department.

EDR

In this part of the world, last fall we had a scare on NSX, there was a steal order for three units, all for Malaysia where the NSX is not readily avaliable. Our club passed this message out to the members and we all kept the X indoor at night.. the same happened to Ferraris where a year ago there were a steal order for several 348, two did get stolen, one was abandoned after breaking in. Left hand drive NSX would not be for Asia but likely stripped for parts. Sad to hear when this happened.

Police departments do not rate auto theft as a high priority. Regardless of value, it is a simple property crime.

I have had Lojack on cars and even on a GSXR 1100. Oddly it saved the GSXR 1100 when the would be thief found the unit and left the bike where it sat.

Deterrent is the name of the game here, and because we are talking about a highly desirable item the obstacles need to be equally hard/time consuming to circumvent. A paging system and a kill switch is the best combination. Some sort of wheel or brake lock could be used as well to further slow them down. You will be alerted and while the dirtbag is wondering why it wont start you have time to prepare a nice surprise.

As we all know, the truly determined will usually succeed.

Originally posted by erobbins:
Unfortunately, no. I don't mean to minimize your loss, but put it in perspective... it's a 10 year old Acura with a value of about $30K. There's just nothing special there.

If it were a $280K Lamborghini that was owned by a celebrity, maybe they'd let the patrol divisions know in their roll call to look out for it, but even that is unlikely, especially in a large metro department.

EDR

Dude, did you get up today and decided to be a jerk? Your comment was very harsh. I realize that we all have different level of love or admiration to our car or cars. But, to pour salt on a open wound is not called for. You have no idea how one goes about to obtain their NSX or anyother car for that matter. It's the fact that Vince was violated. Everyone would agree that when it comes down to it that its just a car. Still, your comment wasn't necessary.

------------------
1999 NSX-T
1999 Explorer
1963 VW Ghia

[This message has been edited by K2 (edited 27 March 2003).]

I agree....we're here to support the victim and create an awareness for others. An NSX is an NSX....no matter how old or what value it has. I doubt the thief will check the VIN to determine the value before he thinks about stealing it. I don't think he keeps a list of all NSXs and their VINs and steal the ones with the highest values. He'll go for the easiest target and try not to get caught.

I've once spoke to my alarm dealer about the theft potential of my car with a particular alarm I was using. He said there are lots of bright thieves out there that can disable many types of anti-theft devices, but the truth of the matter is, they're not Ph.Ds in EE. I still have faith in some systems out there...just need to do your homework to find the right ones for you.

------------------
'98 Blue NSX-T

Very sorry to hear of your lose. I haven't had my 'stolen' persay but it sits quietly in the garage with issues that make it undrivable.
frown.gif

At least I still have it though.

------------------
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

When I was in college I installed car audio and alarm systems in high-end vehicles.

Car theft in Portland is not as prominent as in LA or Oakland, but the problem exists here.

A client came in and expressed concern about parking her new accord in the mall lot where she worked. She was a very nice lady. Polite and soft spoken. I recommended we add an Alpine alarm with starter kill and a few other small options.

Two months after installation, the car was stolen. The leather interior, airbags, stereo, ALARM, and other parts were removed and the car was left on the side of the highway.

She came back (Not mad, but concerned) and asked if we could beef up the alarm. I added a pager, Air horn (They are LOUD), and a few more mods keeping her in a budget.

Two weeks later, the car was stolen and involved in a small accident. The thief fled, and the car was once again recovered and restored.

Once again she returned. I had nothing more to offer her other than advise. I had recommended a club (At the time they mounted on the steering wheel) to detour the thief to another car. We installed the same Alpine alarm as well.

A few DAYS later - stolen again. This time the car was not returned for a few weeks. When the car was returned she brought it to me in the shop. The theig CUT A THREE INCH CHUNK OUT OF THE STEERING WHEEL to get the club off. I was in shock. I wanted to cry for this poor lady. Her car had under 10k miles and had been stolen three times and rebuilt twice.

She traded in the car for an entry level Mercedes. I installed the Alpine alarm in the MB at her home free of charge. I will not forget the look on her face when she showed me the cut wheel. Ever.

This is the "Violated" feeling mentioned, and it sucks. Someone knew the car, the days she worked, and must have marked the car. No alarm or device would stop the thief.

I feel very bad for Vince. These cars are not easy on most of our budgets, and it is an accomplishment to own one. Regardless of replacement it hurts to lose something you worked so hard to get.

------------------
Please visit http://www.nsxparts.com. The best place to buy and sell parts for your NSX.

[This message has been edited by nsxparts.com (edited 28 March 2003).]

I concur that this comment was totally uncalled for and extremely rude!
frown.gif
The theft of any car is often a great loss to the person affected. Put it in perspective: OK, $30K is a lot of cash regardless of who is counting. Besides there aren't very many cars that can hold their value 10 years later like the NSX. If the table was turned, I'm sure you wouldn’t be so damn cavalier about it being "a 10 year old Acura with a value of about $30K" The NSX is not exactly cheap - new or used. Personally, I worked my ass off to get mine and it’s probably a safe bet that many others did the same to get theirs. I would be extremely upset if it was stolen. Then there are those that have Mommy or Daddy hand it to them free and clear. Maybe these types don’t have an appreciation for their free car because they didn’t have to WORK for it. This is not a hostile community. Have some compassion for Darkcyd’s loss! We all have a common interest, the NSX. It is kind-of-like we are on the same side!

Originally posted by K2:
Dude, did you get up today and decided to be a jerk? Your comment was very harsh. I realize that we all have different level of love or admiration to our car or cars. But, to pour salt on a open wound is not called for. You have no idea how one goes about to obtain their NSX or any other car for that matter. It's the fact that Vince was violated. Everyone would agree that when it comes down to it that its just a car. Still, your comment wasn't necessary.

Originally posted by erobbins:
Unfortunately, no. I don't mean to minimize your loss, but put it in perspective... it's a 10 year old Acura with a value of about $30K. There's just nothing special there. EDR

I just want to express my gratitude to everyone who has been so supportive. It's nice to know that others feel my pain. I think it's starting to slowly sink in that the car may not come back home. The last several days it just seemed like I had dropped it off in the shop and that I just wasn't going to be able to drive it for awhile. But increasingly, that sinking feeling that it's gone for good is clouding over. Perhaps it's the same feeling people experience when a loved one passes away. They're never coming back...

I hope that the insurance settlement will be favorable. But there is a chance that for the time being, there will be no NSX in my garage. That really saddens me. Those of you who know me, know that I loved that car and that it was my pride and joy. I would spend hours washing it, working on it, taking it out to the canyons, and just driving it for the hell of it. For those of you who don't know me, I'm pretty sure that as a fellow NSX owner, you're also familiar with these 'primal NSX urges'. =) Your sympathy makes this experience a little easier to swallow.

I do hope that my experience will allow for a deeper discussion of ways for all of us to protect our beloved vehicles. I was concerned about security, and there were numerous measures I was going to take. But like most, I didn't think this would happen to me and so I procrastinated on my plans. Maybe it's a wake-up call for all of us.

Clubs are worthless to someone who really wants your car. You can remove it with one of these.
I would recommend a decent alarm, and good insurance. I also have a tracking device in mine.

And it's...

EASY AND FUN TO USE!!!

frown.gif

-Jim

Originally posted by ss_md:
I concur that this comment was totally uncalled for and extremely rude!

There are a lot of different effects that such a theft will have. Part of it, as others have noted, are the emotional feeling of being violated, regardless of the fact that it may have been "just a car" and can be replaced. That feeling will likely never completely go away, in that Darkcyd may always wonder, every time he parks his car, whether it will be there upon his return. Part of it is the dread and uncertainty regarding how fair the insurance settlement will be. Part of it is the possibility of economic and/or physical loss, in that it may be impossible to get another car and have it exactly the way you want it unless you spend a significant chunk of money beyond the insurance settlement. Part of it is the loss of confidence, in that it may be impossible to get another car and know all of its previous history and any quirks. And part of it is the inconvenience and knowledge that he will now have to spend a lot of time and aggravation dickering with the insurance company and then shopping for another car, before he can get his life back to where it was before the theft. I think he deserves our sympathy for all of these reasons.

BTW, Darkcyd, if you're looking for a well-kept early coupe and would consider green, click here to find out about one that isn't even on the market yet but might be shortly.

Originally posted by Darkcyd:
I do hope that my experience will allow for a deeper discussion of ways for all of us to protect our beloved vehicles. I was concerned about security, and there were numerous measures I was going to take. But like most, I didn't think this would happen to me and so I procrastinated on my plans. Maybe it's a wake-up call for all of us.

Maybe. But don't go kicking and second-guessing yourself too badly. It's quite possible that the car would have been stolen anyway, even if you took additional measures. As the story from nsxparts.com can well attest.

Originally posted by Jimbo:
And it's...

EASY AND FUN TO USE!!!

frown.gif

I think the club is not only a pain in the butt to put on and take off every time you get in the car, but it's also extremely tacky IMO. (And, as you can read here, not very effective, either.)

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 28 March 2003).]

There is a product made by LoJack that alerts you (to up to 5 devices i.e.: pager, mbl. phone, home phone, e-mail) when your car is started. In addition to the tracking capabilities of the regular LoJack. This is currently as good as it gets. It is called the Early Warning System. Unfortunately, LoJack is not available in the entire USA. But for Cali owners it is available. The Club and its many vaiation is only a deterrant for rookie thieves and joy riders. A pro will have you car in 60 seconds or less regarless of what you have for an alarm system. The more security you have like kill switches, fuel cut-offs and starter immobilizers the less likely your car will be stolen. The would be thief may break the windows and/or damage other parts of the car since they could not steal it, but thats another thing in itself.

Originally posted by Darkcyd: I do hope that my experience will allow for a deeper discussion of ways for all of us to protect our beloved vehicles. I was concerned about security, and there were numerous measures I was going to take. But like most, I didn't think this would happen to me and so I procrastinated on my plans. Maybe it's a wake-up call for all of us.

Hello boys....sorry to hear a fellow NSX'er got his car stolen. I am now in the position that I have just bought my car and thinking of putting an alarm. I had opted to wait....but hearing this made me decide to do it earlier.

I have a 93 accord when i was 20 for some people this is not a nice car, but for me it was a jewel. When I got it I pondered what kind of system I can install to deter would be theives. after searching....this is what I found that helped.

A voice alarm....telling you to back off...for alot of people these things dont do anything but make people want to play with the system BUT I noticed alot of people tend to comment on how expensive the system is and how sophisticated it is. bottom line is they took it seriously afterwards.

2 SELF POWERED HIGH AUDIBLE HORN ....one outside the cabin ...in the hood maybe and one inside under the dash....if they broke in and diabled the alarm....these horns will no doubt raise attention and even make them def. Sledge hammers wont break it either....it just keep on going and going and going....you get the idea...

Kill switch to the pump....some say these kill switch could keep you stranded at times if it doesnt disengage.....I say better that it not start than if it is gone.

boomerang...this is the satellite locating system designed to be aware of the car driving away from the keys FOB that comes witht he system....if you have the keys ....then the car should start only close to the key FOB

Pagers.....DONT WORK....I say this over and over again....if you find out someone was stealing your car....WOULD YOU...come out and notify police....which by then it would have been stolen....but none the less help....or what most people do is confront the theives....WHICH IS DANGEROUS....meaning they might be in groups or have GUNS....I say....if they want to take it and you have these systems on...let them take it....a car is a car...and an NSX is an NSX.....but your life is your LIFE....and cannot be replaced or revived.

Thanks guys for making me re-think my decision.

and I hope that darkcyde finds the car in one piece or find the thieves and have their finger nails pulled one by one....for the days it goes missing.

regards

Mike

Back