• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

All cars are slow, so why bother - yes I love my NSX

OK, after reading a lot of posts about how changing out your gears will give you faster times, and how 10K supercharging will give you 400+ HP, I have to chime in with my 0.02. And yes, I have had a few, and no I am not driving anywhere tonight. Hotel in the middle of BFE, NC, and nothing to do. Finally got my lame, state-issued laptop up to speed. whoohoo

Granted, I wish I could afford all the mods some of you seem to do with your NSX's, but I view myself on the low end of the totem pole in regards to ownership, in that I am now a state employed engineer, who makes 20k less than I was making prior to being layed off. First, happy happy, I am able to afford and drive my NSX, whick I love much more than my c4 vette, which I traded in to get the X.

Second, who cares how fast the car is in 0-150. Averaging 35 seconds.... pardon me while I go get sick. Granted, I am not up to speed on what all the fast cars will do, but do ANY of you with "fast cars" ride bikes?????

I am 6'3" and in my full leather riding suit, helmet, boots, and beer gut weigh in at 265. I also have no experience doing the drag thing. My first time out on my bike, a 2000 zx-12(the last of the unrestricted, for those in the know
wink.gif
,) I ran apprx. 10.2 at 130 mph. It is an approx. as it was over a year ago. I can do 150 in slightly longer than that, and the pros are hitting 150 in under 10 on a STOCK bike. 0-150 in 35 seconds is f'ing pathetic. Why try?????

My take on cars, and if I have offended anyone I truly apologize, but no matter what you have, someone out there can stomp your ass. So why street race?? In my younger and much stupider days, I raced a very small compact wagon (like a geo something) in my vette. He handed me my tires, although I didn't think to listen to the car before we got it on. He had a small block v8 in it. Left me like I was sitting still.

So my point is, who cares about 15 hp and what it can do. Granted, if it helps someone to keep from blowing some money, GREAT, but a fool and his money are soon parted, so let those that want to be able to go 0-150 in 30-.5 with gears and hp have at it.

I prefer to be at about 175 in 13.5 and a long way away from those pesky state troopers....
smile.gif

And yes, please read the above with some cynicsm. I just get such a kick out of the "spend 5K for an extra 3 hp" crowd.

And YES, I would love to have a BBSC on my NSX.
smile.gif
I would also love to have the original Ivory seats that some idiot switched out to black because he thought they looked better (pardon me while I go shoot myself in the head). It's not about how fast it is, but how the mods make it different and FASTER (not fast), thus changing and renewing the love of the vehicle.

Gimme two years, and 7K, and when my warranty on the 12 runs out and I can convince the wife to hit the streetcorner
smile.gif
, and I will have approx 500 rwhp, ON MY BIKE. Should be good for 165-175mph in the QUARTER, assuming I live that long as I see 150 or so every time I get on my 12. Lofted the front wheel at 140 last week, NOT intentionally. FUN FUN FUN. not. In other words, get a life, and enjoy your NSX for what is it, a SLOW CAR.....

My rant is now over, resume your normal lives. All is in fun(but true), so flames will be ingnored
smile.gif

hey stu, I felt very slow on gandy the other night.good thing I am planning those 20k in upgrades huh dave

i don't realy AGREE with spending 5 grand or something like that, for just a handfull of HP, but if someone has the money to do so, and realy wants to, they should. i've never been one to tell other people how to spend their money, b/c well, it's their money. you like going fast on your bike, while some like going fast in their car. i think it's much more chalanging to be quick and responsive in a car, b/c it takes much more dedication to make a car as remotely quick as a good bike.

for example, you can take a bone stock GSX-R 1300 Hayabusa for about $11,000, and go at least 180mph. To make almost ANY car go that fast takes at least 4 times the cost of the 'Busa to do that. IF everyone wanted an easy rout to high speed and fast acceleration, they would all own a bike, b/c to be honest, it IS the quickest, cheapest way to be fast. It's just the nature of a car to be much more expensive to make fast, b/c a car is MUCH heavier and more complicated than most bikes.

Rarity of a car also factors into the equasion too. sure, you give me 40 grand and i'll make a hatchback civic run 10's, but it won't have the style and immage of the NSX. The more available the parts the cheaper. If the nsx was a more available, cheaper car, and more people actualy owned them, then there WOULD be an aftermarket that was cheaper, but if that was the case you would lose the uniqueness of the car.

when it all boils down, it's all on what a person prefers. i might not spend $5000 for a fiew horsepower more, but if someone else DOES, i don't have a problem with it
smile.gif

Cars are faster around the track, and 0-?-0. I'm over 6'1", but your bike needs 9 hp more than mine just to haul your beer-gut.

Originally posted by Orange240sx:
i don't realy AGREE with spending 5 grand or something like that, for just a handfull of HP, but if someone has the money to do so, and realy wants to, they should.
when it all boils down, it's all on what a person prefers. i might not spend $5000 for a fiew horsepower more, but if someone else DOES, i don't have a problem with it
smile.gif

There are plenty of people who wouldn't spend $30-90K for a two-passenger car that gets 270-290 hp, either. Fortunately, most of them don't have a problem with someone who does.

To stop you from shooting yourself in the head may I suggest you try classifieds for those Ivory seats. I to love the Ivory interior and it will be a big selling point in the nsx when I go and buy it. I sure someone has a pair of Ivories laying around somewhere.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
There are plenty of people who wouldn't spend $30-90K for a two-passenger car that gets 270-290 hp, either. Fortunately, most of them don't have a problem with someone who does.

yea, i know what you mean too... people will always question why people spend money on the stuff they do. i think it's a part of human nature to question and criticize other people... i don't see how anyone would argue over someone else buying an NSX though. the NSX is like a peice of art, not just a car, but an extention of the driver. thats how i see it at least

------------------
Paul~
[email protected]

500rwhp on a bike and only 165 in the quarter? you must weigh like 1000pds in reality. btw, there are many cars out there that will smoke you and your bike, especially from say a 60-70 mph roll where the factor of aerodynamics and your additional jelly rolls will severly hurt you.

My take is straight forward... I spend money on my NSX, because I want to. Not because I want the fastest NSX around, not because im trying to "prove" anything to anyone, because I LIKE customizing my car to suit MY wants. (notice I said wants, not needs). No one "needs" to do anything... but we want to.

I also have a bike, and yah so Ive done 175mph on my bike too, so what? Doesn't change the fact that I like changing things on my NSX.

If people want to spend $10,000 on a supercharger to give THEM a better driving experience in a vehicle that suits THEIR needs, then so be it, I say more power to them....

-B

[This message has been edited by BoneZ (edited 26 June 2002).]

I dont own a bike. I dont want to buy a bike. I dont even care about going faster 0-60 than a bike. Did I mention I dont want a bike.

So if you throw the bike out of the equation, what is so wrong with making an NSX go faster?

Nothing at all..... Enjoy
smile.gif

Didn't realize how sensitive some are about their toys.
Might just have been a touch of jealousy in my earlier post, as like I said, I am away from home, driving a freaking Suburban, the wife has the NSX because her car is down, I am not as financially independent as I used to be, the sky is blue, Froot Loops now have stripes, and I really just need to quit whining and shut the hell up.

Like all of you said.
smile.gif

I hope I did not come across as Alan does, in that I LOVE my NSX. I hope to have her for a very long time and eventually do a few things to her, so lets everyone get unpissed off, and go drive a while. I get my baby back tomorrow.. wheeee

We all know what opinions are like, so lets all stop acting like one, and be happy.

Soapbox is now back in the closet.

And yes, I DID have a headache this morn, so all prayers were answered.
smile.gif

Originally posted by tomc92bb000059:
Froot Loops now have stripes

Froot Loops have stripes???!!
eek.gif

After further research, I think you're referring to these, which are not exactly stripes:

0.7C

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 26 June 2002).]

Nope, the ones I ate yesterday had stripes. Individual serving container with the box acting as the bowl when you cut along perforated lines (just like I remembered as a kid) but there was one species of loop that was yellow and red striped (i think those were the colors)

Threw me for a loop.

Is nothing sacred? I can't even find BooBerry or Frankenberry anymore, just that nasty Count Chocula.

Boohoo.
Boohoo.

On a side note, the wife took the NSX to the Ponitac dealership to pick up some parts for her car, and the sales guys thought it was a ferrari. She corrected them and even got the year right this time. Yay, she is finally absorbing all my incessant talk about my hobbies. Yeah!

Nice post Tom! How is the project bike coming?? We have got to get our Candace's together so they can talk NSX!!! LOL She actually says she wants to drive the car pre BBSC to see if this is going to be money well spent! Let's hope she thinks so! Be in touch soon!

------------------
Jason

I dunno, roll up to a crowd of girls in an a dropped NSX with a kit and the exhaust burbling, and see what kind of reaction you get. Or roll up to them in a dime a dozen bike. Heck I honestly couldn't tell you the difference between any 750, 900, 1000, or 1200 cc bike. That's cause they're all always doing 120+ on the highway buzzing by me like bees.

If someone on their bike comes up to you while you're in your NSX and starts bragging how he'll take you, just tell him you want to race... cross country. I'm sure he'd love that. Or in the rain.

Obviously anyone with an NSX could have gotten a bike plus any number of other cars that are faster. Its not why ppl get NSX's.

And while you say that NSX's are slow, its all relative. There's always someone that is faster yes, but count every car you pass on your way to work. $100 says that you could stomp 95% of those cars in the 1/4 probably 99% of them at the track.

As far as modding goes, its more of something that's evolved from the import scene in general. IMO only half of a modifications purpose is to increase the performance of the car, the rest is either bragging rights, uniquity, or a personal satisfaction thing. Why else would we leave carbon fiber unpainted half the time. Its a style, a statement we're making.

At any rate, I'm not flaming you, just saying that slow is relative, modding has a lot more value than performance sometimes, and bikes and cars are apples and oranges. (More like Grapes and Watermelons)

Back