• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Almost bought an NSX... fell through

I tried to buy a red 91 with 115K miles from Hi Performance Auto Sales in Greenwood, SC. Here's what happened:

Last week I gave a $500 credit card deposit pending PPI. I set up an appt with a reputable third party mechanic to do the inspection but the dealer never got the car to the appt. In fact, on the day of the appt, dealer says the car is leaking antifreeze and didn't want to drive the car and instead would have their mechanic check it out on a lift. Dealer eventually emails me saying someone screwed up and put 100% water in instead of antifreeze and due to recent cold weather there is now a hairline crack in the engine block.

Note: Prior to my deposit, I contacted an Ebayer who left good feedback for this dealer. The Ebayer informs me his Porsche 911 car purchase fell through at the last second because... cracked engine block due to water used instead of antifreeze. His money and fees were fully refunded.

The salesperson hasn't returned my calls so I called the dealer today and inquired about the status of the NSX and they immediately told me they have a $1000 deposit on the car from someone in TX and the remaining amount is being wired today. I guess they thought I was a new person interested in buying the car.

Shady... at least my deposit is on CC.

Congrats to the TX person if they're on Prime.

Last edited:
Re: Almost bought an NSX... sucks

Your subject line is confusing. It sounds like you think buying an NSX would suck.

Be glad this happened. You got saved from a potentially troublesome transaction had your deal gone through.

Lucky you didnt fall for these Side show Joes car lots,, they take corners to save money,, but how much can a jug of antifreeze cost? if this isnt the first time,, then it must be their mechanic doing it,,, fire him before their name gets run thru the mudd

Shaddy ass hole dealer and you should be real glad you were saved. Buy from an individual and/or Prime member .....repeat after me....:wink:

Man there is never a substitute, well hardly ever, buying from an individual. That's not to say that all individuals are straight shooters but it is hard to deal with a car dealer without records on a car you want!!!! I cannot stress this enough - so the above should be your mantra - buy from an individual and hopefully a Primer! You'll be glad you did!

Shaddy ass hole dealer and you should be real glad you were saved. Buy from an individual, consignment shop, exotics dealer and/or a Prime member preferably one that is known and respected.....repeat after me.... records are import, records are important :)

There...added my $0.02 to Tim's thoughts....

Last edited:
Lucky you didnt fall for these Side show Joes car lots,, they take corners to save money,, but how much can a jug of antifreeze cost? if this isnt the first time,, then it must be their mechanic doing it,,, fire him before their name gets run thru the mudd

Now, you don't really think that is what happened.... do you?

I had talked to Nate at Hi Performance Auto Sales also. I liked that it was a one-owner car, and he said he had records (but, I did not go far enough to ask for them)
But, I decided against pursuing it because of what I found when I tried checking out his "dealership" online.<O:p</O:p
I was looking for any feedback on it, positive or negative. <O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

I mapped his address on Google maps, and checked the "street view" that they have and found that it looked like an old abandoned gas station. <O:p</O:p
I asked Nate for the website of the dealership, and he sent me a link, but it was simply a listing of cars without any real content. <O:p</O:p

He did a very nice job of presenting the car with nice pictures and description, and seemed to know a little about NSX’s.<O:p</O:p
He knew enough to know that it was not a snapring car, but not enough to know about some common issues. (Radio, windows,…)<O:p</O:p

I just got a bad feeling about the whole thing, so I moved on. I think you should be happy you missed out on this one…<O:p</O:p

Talked with Nate about this one as well the week it ran on Ebay (the second time -- I know it was up for auction twice). Sorry to hear that it didn't work out. Keep your eyes and ears open - this one wasn't meant to be for either of us.

Back