• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Almost one less NSX on the road...

...happened on this monday (12/11/2006). Driving to work, the usual road, no rain, no frost, no ice, beautiful day. Until I approach this left turn and realize a car coming my way is in trouble, I just have the time to see a white sedan coming sideways off the curve and towards me. Next things I remember are: a) thinking to myself: "Ouch this is going to hurt!" and "Gotta get the hell outta here" b) trying to slow down on wet grass c) hearing a loud "Bang!" behind me. Turns out my reflexes took over and I avoided the incoming car as I drove off the road. Also the loud "Bang" was that out-of-control car hitting the car behind me (a brand new Ford 500 that wasn't 2 weeks old). I got very lucky. It took me 2 minutes before I could get out of the car and stand on my feet. I've done HPDE and races where cars have spun out and had to avoid them. This was much more intense, Turns out the car that spun out of control was being driven too fast by a mother of two with the kids IN the car. All had to be rushed to the hospital. At least they were conscious all the time after the accident. The oldest kid was bleeding a bit. The guy with the Ford was shaken but ok. I felt bad I dodged the incoming car and that he ended up hitting it instead. Here are some pix:
HPIM0080.jpg

HPIM0088.jpg

HPIM0091.jpg

HPIM0087.jpg

Last edited:
Wow - great save on your part! I'll bet your HPDE and racing days helped to make the right decision in split seconds to avoid a loss.

apapada said:
I felt bad I dodged the incoming car and that he ended up hitting it instead.

Don't.

If you hadn't dodged, there WILL have been an accident, involving you.

If you did dodge, there MIGHT have been an accident. At that point it's then up to the guy behind you. Always play the best odds, which almost always involves self-preservation, no need to feel badly about it, but I can understand how you feel that way.

Nice work in saving it.

96 NSX-T said:
Quick thinking, smooth moves:biggrin: . I like your wheels. What are they?

thank you for the compliment. Wheels are Blitz type O3. The rear passenger wheel got some cosmetic damage (low profile tires dont help...). I was quoted $450 :eek: to get the wheel fixed. The front spoiler also hit the ground and now has a blemish. Another $550 or so quoted by the dealer.

dquarasr2 said:
Don't.

If you hadn't dodged, there WILL have been an accident, involving you.

If you did dodge, there MIGHT have been an accident. At that point it's then up to the guy behind you. Always play the best odds, which almost always involves self-preservation, no need to feel badly about it, but I can understand how you feel that way.

Nice work in saving it.

Thank you for saying that. It helps me accept what happened. I'm feeling really sorry for the guy behind me though...

Ski_Banker said:
On the bright side, at least the F500 owner was probably thinking "At least she didn't take out the gorgeous IRREPLACEABLE NSX."

Did you figure out what happened?

I did not find out anything yet about the cause of the accident, but turns out she was driving WITHOUT insurance !!! Holy moly did I get lucky by avoiding this car !!! At least I have comprehensive on the NSX... Does anyone knows for sure if filling a claim in this case will make my rates go higher ?

It shouldn't, it should be considered a not at fault accident.
If anything, they should be lowering your rates for saving them the cost of total replacement.

But we all know that's never going to happen.....

Great job !

Does anyone knows for sure if filling a claim in this case will make my rates go higher ?

I did not find out anything yet about the cause of the accident, but turns out she was driving WITHOUT insurance !!! Holy moly did I get lucky by avoiding this car !!! At least I have comprehensive on the NSX... Does anyone knows for sure if filling a claim in this case will make my rates go higher ?

It shouldn't make you insurance go up, since you were not at fault and can prove it. It will be filed under your collision insurance though, not comp.

Hopefully you purchased uninsured/underinsured collision also, then they will probably waive your deductible.

Hopefully you purchased uninsured/underinsured collision also, then they will probably waive your deductible.

I do have Underinsured and Uninsured insurance but they did not waive my deductible ($200). The insurance company said they would try to collect that amount for me and depending on the percentage amount they will get back (if any), the same percentage would be applied towards my deductible reimbursment... is that the way things work ?

In CA you are entitled to the deductable being waived regardless of whether they collect any money from the other guy or not.

Alex, wow! You didn't tell me about this. My Declarations page from State Farm does not indicate a decutible for uninsured/underinsured coverages. I have never had to file a cliam under those coverages.

Now that is what defensive driving is all about :eek: .....Thank goodness it was not any worse for anybody.....Steve

Wow you sure did get lucky on this one.

thank you all for the kind words.

I never found out anything more about the reason or what caused that "lady" going that fast around that curve that morning. She's not the first one to loose control there. But she's probably the first one to be going uphill sideways and backwards for 300 feet. She was coming opposite to the F500 and myself and ended up hitting the F500 going backwards ! :eek: She would have hit me going 3/4 backwards...

As someone pointed out to me in the first picture, there are 4 tire trails on the wet grass instead of 2. Unless I'm mistaken, this means I was kinda going sideways myself for a while before I stopped. I really got very lucky that morning and been counting my blessings ever since. :redface:

Back