• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aluminum racing jack $79

This has been posted in the past but here it is again on sale at Harbor freight. I don't buy tools at Harbor Freight on principal but I have owned this jack for years and it has been trouble free. It will fit under a NSX lowered with Bilstiens. Really quite a good "budget" jack.:wink:

6429sig_red_sm.jpg

Sky:smile:

91039.gif

Thanks for the tip.

I currently have a cheapo Sears/Craftsman jack with 4.5" min clearance that lifts to 14.5". That jack unfortunately no longer fits under my NSX (which is around 4.3". Zanardi Srpings lowering it).

I am considering going for the Costco one. They seem to have different varieties at different stores. The one in Mountain View, CA is All Aluminum, 45lbs, Dual Piston, 3.5" min (rubber pad), 19.5" max for 99$. Hopefully the warranty will be as generous as the regular Costco one and the 19.5" will definitely come in handy!

Thanks for the tip.

I currently have a cheapo Sears/Craftsman jack with 4.5" min clearance that lifts to 14.5". That jack unfortunately no longer fits under my NSX (which is around 4.3". Zanardi Srpings lowering it).

I have the HF freight one also. It fits under my nsx with z-springs with absolutely no problems. It has served me well for a few years now. I'd buy it again.

I use one of these.

They work very well. they are the same lifts as the big reds that sell at pep boys.

I had a problem with the first one i purchased. The arm would only go up when i did a full stroke of the shaft. It was difficult to use since i could not get it to go up with out hitting the bumper of most cars.

I returned it and got another one that was fine and i was able to do small pushes and still get the arm to rise to lifting height.

its pretty good. HF tools are pretty cheap, i brake them every day at the shop so moving on to snap-on tools.

This jack is good tho. No compaints. also you can use the handle as a hudge braker bar to put over the ends of your wrenches. very good leverage.

My costco stopped carrying that jack. I wanted one too. Went in, saw one left. Tried to get it at a discount. Manager says it's a regular stock item and more on the way. So I hold off again. I really want and need one weeks later. Nothing. Gone.

Thanks to the posters and feedback. I picked one up last week. Other than needing to bleed some air from the valve, it works fine. Good tip on the nudge/braker bar too.

I have that Harbor Freight one also. It's worked great for the several years I've owned it, with many track events and tire changes.

One advantage of that particular model is that it fits laterally on the floor of the passenger side of the NSX, so if you're loading up your car with track tires, it doesn't use any space in the trunk.

I purchased a Zinko aluminum jack, about 35 pounds, from Archer Racing about 6 years ago. I'm not sure that they still make this one. At the time it wasn't cheap but it has been used and abused by quite a few people at DE's and club races. It still works as good as the day I purchased it. Like Ken's it will fit in the pass side floor of the NSX along with it's 2 piece handle.

My costco stopped carrying that jack. I wanted one too. Went in, saw one left. Tried to get it at a discount. Manager says it's a regular stock item and more on the way. So I hold off again. I really want and need one weeks later. Nothing. Gone.

The Costco in Santa Clara County seems to have lots in stock. I saw at least 1 full pallet at the Almaden Plaza location, and about 10 at the Lawrence Expressway and Coleman location. Don't know if you live near there.

I purchased the craftsman aluminum/steel racing jack. It works great. It is the low profile (3 3/4") plus it has a two piece quick connect/disconnect padded handle , a magnitized tray to hold the lug nuts and it raises to the frame in one to two pumps on most any car.

It is also on sale for $99 ($20 off) untill 4/28.

Craftsman 1.5 ton Jack

I got mine @ Costco for $99 for 1.5 (if not 2?) tons. Looked very similar in construction quality to the Craftsman, however it is marked 'made in China'... :)

The advantage of Costco, *if* it breaks, easy return policy :tongue:

Hi,

I just want to let prime members know that there is a jack made by Roadmaster that is electric. It runs off 12V through your cig lighter. I bought it at PEP Boys for $49.99 plus tax and it works. My car is pretty low and it fits under it with no difficulty. It's a scissor type with a small motor attached to it and it comes with a corded remote control. I have already modified my formed jack and compressor tool tray to accomodate the jack. It doesn't way that much and it is compact enough to replace the stock scissor jack.

GAR123:cool:

the problem that i have with scissor jacks is that they're very unstable. you try to torque any bolts on that type of that, and the jack will want to tilt over and fall. the area for the support is very very narrow.

I got mine @ Costco for $99 for 1.5 (if not 2?) tons. Looked very similar in construction quality to the Craftsman, however it is marked 'made in China'... :)

The advantage of Costco, *if* it breaks, easy return policy :tongue:

The Costco aluminum jack is rated for 2 tons. It is made in China, and so were the 5 jacks I compared with before I purchased the one from Costco. Costco's return policy is in one of the best. Never had an issue with returning broken item.

I bought that same jack from Harbor Frieght. It was junk. Got the car an inch off the ground and just stopped. Harbor freight is good for somethings when cheap materials are ok. Drill bits, dremmel pieces, crap like that. But I'm not getting under my car with something like that. I went and bought a 1 1/2 ton craftsman low-profile racing jack and it's awesome. It was only $70. And it's craftsman so if it ever takes a dump on me I'll just return it for a new one.

I have that jack at home and it does fine.

Anyone tried one of these? Looks perfect for the NSX.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950187000P

The Craftsman Lift N Secure jack system, a Sears exclusive, is a revolutionary new jack system that incorporates jack stands nested into the floor jack. Simply position the jack under the chassis, raise the vehicle and then remove the jack, leaving the jack stands securely in place. Easy and convenient and safer too you never have to go under the vehicle to put in a jack stand. 2 Ton capacity with lifting range of 5-1/2 inches to 17 inches. A saddle (included) can be used to covert the system into a conventional jack with a lifting range of 6 -1/2 inches to 13 inches. Lift handle folds flat for quick, convenient storage.

I went and bought a 1 1/2 ton craftsman low-profile racing jack and it's awesome. It was only $70. And it's craftsman so if it ever takes a dump on me I'll just return it for a new one.

I remember that the craftsman jacks do not have the lifetime warranty on them. Just an year or two. You might want to cross check the warranty.

-vamsi

Add me to the Harbor Freight jack list, picked one up this AM.
Had no intention of buying a new jack, but could not pass it up for $79.00.:smile:

Great thread as I'm picking up a jack and some stands this week. So I'll hit HF for the jack... what about stands? Any that work particularly well for the NSX or any good deals right now?

Back