• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

am i alone??

I understand, to each their own. But I look at it like this. When you first thought about buying the car did you just imagine yourself walking out to the garage and going "Wow, that's my car" and turning back to go into the house, or did you imagine yourself walking out to the garage and going "Wow, that's my car", hopping in and driving it like you were Ayrton Senna.

I believe all cars are made to be driven every day. My smile and enthusiasm has not lessened even in the slightest since day one of ownership and I do daily drive my NSX.

In regards to your patients, I have not had the experience that they have negative feelings about our successes in life.
When I need the services of a professional I do not mind seeing that they are successful professionals. I would in fact prefer that.
Although I acknowledge people do like to keep a garage queen with low mileage, to me that is a waste of money
I don't save anything for the next guy/owner. I doubt that Billy Joel "saved" Christie Brinkley for the next guy and I bet the present guy is not either.
But I get your dilemmas. I live 4 miles from work and generally won't drive my NSX to let it sit in the sun for 10 hours for the sake of 20 minutes driving pleasure. I also just put my CBR900RR in the shop for tires and any needed maintenance and they recommended brake fluid and antifreeze flushes. I mentioned that they did that the last time that it was in the shop and they noted that was 5 years ago and in those 5 years I put 1,700 miles on it. For the same reasons as you, basically kids (my last one started college this year). There will come a time (soon) that your kids will not have much use for you aside from being an ATM. When that time comes I hope that you still have your NSX because you will have the time to enjoy it.

I am always a bit puzzled when people say they "don't have the time to drive their nsx". I don't understand what that means. Are they not driving any cars ever and walk or take public transportation everywhere? Or is it more a fear/paranoia about driving to work or anyplace else you would take a daily driver.

Some people's work involves driving around (like you do to courthouses, etc).
Others' involves driving around when an NSX can't be used (construction, etc = truck).
Others' involves no driving around, they sit in an office.

I'm in the last camp and live 7mi from work (many people at my office live closer). If you add in some errands and such I'm putting 2000 miles on my daily driver each year. There is maybe more frustration than joy driving an NSX 7 miles on one straight road in rush-hour city traffic...and that frustration comes at a price of wear and tear from 520 startup/warmup/get-in-out cycles per year. So, car isn't daily driven because not much would be gotten from such. Time outside of commute that would be good for driving (evenings during the half of the year when it is light outside then) is spent on other priorities - family and such. That leaves weekends, and like with evenings priority goes to family and other.

"Don't have the time to drive the NSX" means there are not hundreds of, much less tens of, maybe not even ten days in a year for:
- extended scenic drive in the mountains
- participating in a track day (or preparing for such)
- overnight getaway with your wife (and without kids)

(Those are "driving the NSX." Commuting, at least for me, would not qualify.)

I'm certainly not complaining. 18 years from now I'd rather realize I underutilized an NSX sitting in the garage than realize my kids are gone and I didn't spend enough time with them. It is a thing, they are people.

The OP sounds a lot like me (except I don't share his fear of mixing water with NSX). Short of becoming wealthy through unknown means and thus having to work fewer hours/days - NSX time is fairly limited. Sometimes we consider selling the NSX because it isn't used much, takes up space in the garage, and is a losing investment of our capital...but we don't because the last drive was alluring enough to overlook those things and instead look forward to next drive...whenever that will be.

Last edited:
your not alone

had my last toy car.....porsche 13 years... drove 11,000 miles. seems there's always a reason NOT to drive the toy car... questionable roads, parking, passengers, stuff to carry, weather....

I hear ya....
that's why you only want to spend what you can easily afford for these toys... they spend all their time sitting.

That said..... the "I rarely drive it" is part of the "toy car" experiance for me. that makes the time you DO drive... special. You can say all you want about these cars being great drivers.... I'll take my town and country... park near the door... in any weather.. with all my friends and all I can haul, and pulling a trailer,,, as my daily driver.

Hey Doc, I have two small children and I just insured my car again the other day for the next six months. The very first drive I asked my kids who wants to come with daddy and I got a fight from both kids wanting to come! Now that is just an awesome feeling. I put a few big beach towels in the seat then the car booster seat in and another thick blanket for their backs. Seat belt on and call it done. As we pull away from the driveway the reach over to the stereo turn up the tunes and crank them and drive away… the kids love it and what I find works the best is when they are in their activities such as sports or dance, that is a great time for you to drive them there, drop off and now you got an hour to cruise! I do about 1500 miles or less a year, but I love those 1500 miles every year.

Plus I wash my car every Friday because of the tight schedule so that is the day I drive to work if I am going to take the car out. That way the car is clean for the weekend if I get a chance to take it out. Just a thought…. Enjoy the car the way you want.

Great topic! I'm a newbie here (owned mine since Sept. 2012) but I will say it becomes a challenge for me to "organize" where and when I drive it. I bought it knowing it was going on the track at least 3-4 times a year, so I didn't need a garage queen-mine has 95K on it now, interior is on the frumpy side compared to the trophy NSX's on here, and the exterior has some very minor blemishes-but thats what I wanted: something that can accumulate a few rock chips without freaking me out because it looked like it should be in the Honda Collection Hall before-hand!

I had an S2000 for 4 years which served as: track car/daily driver/moving van/snow mobile but it would have been nice to have, say, an 05+ RL with the SHawd as a DD but finances did not permit. So my tough little S2000 had to do it all. I live in the midwest-if you can live here, you can live anywhere in terms of weather! As a consequence, the NSX cannot be a DD for me so I have a little beater car-99 G20. The NSX is SUCH a drivers car that, for me, tooling around in the city or in traffic is just a waste! Having been on its maiden voyage to Putnam Park 3 weeks ago, it confirmed my long standing theory of rare and terrific sports cars: they are best suited for a road course where there are no cops, mail boxes, driveways, bicyclists, trees, etc. These cars are so capable in the corners that you always know you could have gone faster on a given windy road-fine for group drives and such, but when I want that "alone time" in mine-I want to push it closer to the cornering limit.

Everywhere I go in this car it attracts attention-I foolishly thought that if you can't recognize what it is, you don't pay attention...wrong. Mine had the "Acura" lettering removed from the center piece in the tail lights before I bought it and I can't tell you the amount of times I have read peoples lips while they are driving and looking at me: "what kind of car is that?" Its kind of funny I guess, but then there are the people that just ride my blind spot trying to figure out what it is, for crying out loud just give it a thumbs up! I guess that rear 3/4 angle really is the money shot on these cars though. The worst are the haters-see something that looks exotic driving up in the fast lane, minding my own business, and they come over with no signal at the last minute...that pisses me off.

If I'm not careful here, this is going to turn into an NSX essay since there is so much to say about them. I will summarize it by saying this: The NSX is one of those rare machines that only comes along a handful of times in a century-its one of the most sexy looking cars made, so elegant and refined that its almost timeless, yet the "function" part is there to match too: amazing steering feel (especially in the 91-93 like mine), super stiff monocoque chassis, excellent compliance in stock form, and a very high cornering limit thanks in part to Ayrton Senna's feedback for Honda (also Bobby Rahal and Satoro Nakajima).

So Docnsx01- I can't blame you for driving yours sparingly, how can you help but to be amazed with every aspect of these beautiful machines. Its a car that requires extreme time management in order to drive in your case, and I think most of us have to do that to some degree. I'm 34, no kids, so for me I just need to move somewhere where its warm all year- then the NSX would be my only car. It never rains in Southern California....

I've owned this one, the second one for about 13 years and averaged about 3,600 miles per year. Since I moved back to San Francisco about five years ago, I average less than 500 miles per year. Might sound strange, but when I do drive it now it is real hoot. I owned the first one when I lived in Europe for three years and probably averaged 15K per year. I drove that car everywhere!

Couldn't help but reply. You are not alone, however, have some suggestions for you. I use mine to go to the Post Office, Fedex, Bank, Trader Joes (where I can park in a large place), Sometimes Church, and just to get out. A spirited drive out into the river bottoms from the house can take off the edge of a really bad day. Not long, half hour or 45 minutes tops. Saturday @ 7am out the expressway. It is like having a psychologist live in.
Regards,
Don

i guess the masses seem to think each person and their individual needs and wants will dictate how they use their car...i am glad to see that there is balance across the board of people similar to me and those who use their just as important nsx daily...with that being said i think it is in my blood to baby it...since posting this original thread my garage queen now been promoted to king of his domain with addition of new stall mate...2011 m3 conv (white of course),,obtained via swap a lease after orig 335i conv floated away in super storm sandy...no water in garage thank god...took over lease with ten months left on lease and 21000 miles to use up...meaning it had less than 10k on clock..fell in love with car as it is perfect for my situation...wife can drive it like old lady (albeit a sexy one), i can drive it after engaging m button and have alot fun (not as sexy though)..and it holds both daughters in the back comfy..so the buyout deal was too good to pass up (dealership had similar year and color with no options unlike mine with every avail option) it had 15k more on clock and asking 13k more in price then my initial buyout price prior to negotiating..so now it sits covered in garage next to nsx plugged in...we use our other two white vehicle as daily drivers and what for this horrible winter to end here in new york...hope all is well and everyone is driving safely and enjoying their nsx how they want ..be safe

When I got my car in 2012 I put on about 1500 miles in a few months then stored it for winter. Never drive in rain (mostly because it gets so dirty from it). Its stored in garage all the time. Anyways that's when the motor was na and near stock. Used to take it to work all the time and to the bank etc. Fast forward to 2013: turbo. Exhilarating compared to before. Every time I take the car out I get "prepped". Mentally in the zone, put on my "driving" shoes, heart starts racing, butterflies in stomach because I know what is coming - a seriously fun and exciting drive. Anyways afterwards Im so wired it's hard to get focused for work right away or stand in the bank line calmly, needless to say I don't use it as a daily anymore rather more of a special treat. Also it's hard to find parking to avoid door dings running errands. Taking up double spots doesn't go over well with people that don't understand how much I love my car. I Put on around 500 miles last year 2013 probably about the same in years to come unless I do a road trip with it. I enjoy admiring it, cleaning it, and proud to own such an awesome machine. My 2 cents.

Fun reading, good points by everyone!

I do agree driving the NSX "less" does make it more special as I get to prepare for those days I do get to bring her out of the garage :)

No essay here for me but fun reading for sure!

nice read on how when where people use their nsx.. personally im out to enjoy owning and driving mine every chance i get depending ofcrouse where im headed and road conditions and for once i don't mind being stuck in traffic.. like most people i avoid taking it anywhere parking is tight/busy also knoe that at some point some careless person will put a dent/ding or scratch on it.. im not a car collector just an enthusiast and never thought the day of owning a nsx.. lifes short as it is and im gonna enjoy every chance i get in the car ive always wanted since highschool.. if miles will be put on it and its gonna be by me =) and not the next person.. i don't think your alone as far as not wanting to put miles on it.. we all have our own reasons for having one and for me its the experience of owning and driving it..

Cars were built to be driven. I've had my NSX for 11 years, it started out as my only car (DD), and since 05, it's been a weekend, fair weather toy. It has almost 70,000 miles on it, and I look forward to many more years of ownership, and driving it, until I can no longer get in and out of it. Hopefully, that day never comes, and my "survivors" get to decide what to do with it. I can understand only using it on nice days, as it's a "special car", and also in the right climate, as a daily driver. I cannot understand why some people want to save it for the next owner!

Back