• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Amp problems

I purchased a 1991 NSX 4 weeks ago and have enjoyed 1,050 very pleasurable miles so far but this morning I had an ear piercing siren sound that lasted around 5 - 7 seconds when I turned on the stereo. There is also a lot of popping / static sounds, decreased volume, sounds cut in and out at various volume levels on all speakers. I could not tell what speaker(s) it was coming from. It sounds like it is coming from all the speakers. From everything I have read here I think this is a classic amp type failure.

Is there an amp in each speaker (left door, right door, center, bass unit)?

Anyone have a similar problem recently? What did you do to fix it?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Bob_54 said:
I could not tell what speaker(s) it was coming from. It sounds like it is coming from all the speakers. From everything I have read here I think this is a classic amp type failure.

Is there an amp in each speaker (left door, right door, center, bass unit)?

Anyone have a similar problem recently? What did you do to fix it?

Bob, common problem with most NSX's out there. Most likey have a bad Amp somewhere. I got rid of the whole Bose setup. Use the search tool and look for keywords like 'stereo', 'bose', 'amp'. If you'd like to stay with stock there are people that can repair your amps.
See here for more info: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50836&highlight=bose+repair

Thanks,

Unfortunately, Bose is notorious for using inferior amp components, which give out way before you think they should. The popping, shrilling, and cricket sounds are painfully annoying, but the solution is simple, yet a pain in the butt. One solution that I would probably recommend (not from personal experience), because people who choose him are never disappointed. I'm referring to BrianK. Your other option is me. I had my bass module, and both door speakers rebuilt/reburbished by World Of Sound in Lake Park, Florida in 2003, and are working beautifully, but recently decided to upgrade to the SOS system, which should arrive in less than a week. I will have all three stock speaker components available to sell soon, and if you are interested contact me. As I said, I had them rebuilt in 2003, and have used it very little since then (my car is a "93 with 23,000 miles). I still have the receipt, which cost me $391.84 for the speaker rebuild.

I want to thank everyone for the quick replies to my amp problems.

BrianK: I have read the DIY regarding how to fix the amps myself but I personally would rather have someone with a little expertise like yourself handle this fix. Are you available / willing to fix my amps for me? Please PM me or e-mail me at [email protected] with payment details, shipping address, and estimated turnaround time. I plan on removing the two door speaker assemblies and one foot well speaker assembly this weekend.

Bob_54
91 NSX Blk/Blk (81,500 miles)

Bob_54,

I have had my speakers/amps repaired by BrianK and am totally thrilled.
And.....I am by NO means a mechanically oriented person.
I was pleased to find the speaker removal to be pretty painless, especially for a two left thumbed person like myslef.
You'll be quite pleased with BrianK and the fast turnaround.

I think the total time from removal to fixed to reinstalled was one week, and a good bit of that was mail time.

jnsx

Bob_54 said:
I want to thank everyone for the quick replies to my amp problems.

BrianK: I have read the DIY regarding how to fix the amps myself but I personally would rather have someone with a little expertise like yourself handle this fix. Are you available / willing to fix my amps for me? Please PM me or e-mail me at [email protected] with payment details, shipping address, and estimated turnaround time. I plan on removing the two door speaker assemblies and one foot well speaker assembly this weekend.

Bob_54
91 NSX Blk/Blk (81,500 miles)

Email sent :smile:

Bob,
I know this a little off topic but I thought I would bring something else to your attention.
Unless your a/c control has been rebuilt, sooner or later it is going to die on you also. BrianK rebuilds these also and they work perfectly. Might want to consider getting that done also. He charges a more than fair price for that service.

Back