• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another recommendation of Jim Russell at Hopkins Acura

I am writing to post yet another glowing recommendation of Jim Russell at Hopkins Acura in Redwood City. I had two different issues recently, and he handled them amazingly deftly.

The first was that I had started to get a mildew-like smell from the vents, as I have had happen on other cars with AC too. I came by to ask Jim about spraying in the foam that I heard about on Motorweek to kill the mildew in the system. He said he could do that if necessary, but liked to do that as a plan B since it leaves the system damp which then can lead to the next round of mildew.

He suggested that first I try parking the car in my driveway, rolling down the windows 1 inch, putting the heat on high, non-recirc, and the fan medium-low (dot at 9:00), and leaving the car running for a few hours in the driveway that way. He said the heat would kill anything without adding moisture. So I tried it, with the engine running but the doors locked with my spare key. Sure enough, it worked. All it cost me was a bit of fuel for idling, and Jim says likely the exhaust coming out the tailpipe was slightly cleaner than the air going in due to the emissions systems so I wasn't even really polluting doing it. Great, easy, free solution to the problem. Most places would I am sure found some expensive service they could have charged me for instead.

He also suggested a way to avoid it happening in the future -- he said to shut the AC switch shortly before I get home, with the fan still running, to avoid it happening as easily once the car is stopped.

The second solution was just as nice. My aspirator fan started making noise again, and he suggested as the first thing to try before opening up the panel to clean it just blowing in high pressure air. I did not succeed at this at home using my electric tire pump, but he had a higher pressure hose at Hopkins. He blew the air in at a slight angle so as not to push the "cage" back into the tube but just spin and clean it. Problem all fixed, and while I cannot say this would be true for everyone, for me as a regular customer at least, it was no charge.

A second problem easily fixed without doing more than was needed or having an expensive repair bill, just because he knew what to do. Damn, he is good.

Chip

calexand said:
He suggested that first I try parking the car in my driveway, rolling down the windows 1 inch, putting the heat on high, non-recirc, and the fan medium-low (dot at 9:00), and leaving the car running for a few hours in the driveway that way.

Isn't it bad to idle the car for long periods of time? (More than a few minutes)

Ben said:
Isn't it bad to idle the car for long periods of time? (More than a few minutes)

Jim didn't think there would be any problem with doing this, and it worked without any side effects. Why do you think it would be bad?

Chip

calexand said:
Jim didn't think there would be any problem with doing this, and it worked without any side effects. Why do you think it would be bad?

Chip

It's just something I heard, that excessive idling can foul spark plugs, exhaust system, cylinders, etc, because it's not running at normal temperature.

A quick Google search turns up some stuff on it. Excerpted:

"The reason? An idling engine isn't operating at its peak temperature, which means that fuel doesn't undergo complete combustion. This leaves fuel residues that can condense on cylinder walls, where they can contaminate oil and damage parts of the engine. For example, fuel residues are often deposited on spark plugs. As you spend more time idling, the average temperature of the spark plug drops. This makes the plug get dirty more quickly, which can increase fuel consumption by 4 to 5 percent. Excessive idling also lets water condense in the vehicle's exhaust. This can lead to corrosion and reduce the life of the exhaust system."

As for the recommendation to shut the AC off a few minutes before you arrive home, it's what I've done for years, and it works great!

calexand said:
He also suggested a way to avoid it happening in the future -- he said to shut the AC switch shortly before I get home, with the fan still running, to avoid it happening as easily once the car is stopped.

I was told this way back in the 80's by a Honda mechanic. I've been doing this procedure with all my cars and have never experienced any mildew odor. Was told that you want to get fresh outside air to flow through the A/C system removing any air in the vents from the time the A/C was on. Doing so will prevent the mildew from forming inside that produces the odor.

I owned my NSX from 1997 to 2005. I simply turned the A/C off the last mile or two before I ended my drive and kept the fan running for that duration. After eight years of ownership, never smelled any mildew from my vents. I maintain this procedure with every car I own.

Back