• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any good NSX people in Michigan?

Hello everyone!

I live in Sterling Heights, Michigan (Near Detroit), and I want to know if there are any Acura dealers in the my area (or Michigan) that have good NSX technicians or have had experience working on them? Ive put down a deposit on one to have another month to sort some final items out before I get it! Hope to have pics of it here soon...
Anyways, any information one NSX people in Michigan is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Glad to hear another person in Michigan is getting an NSX! If you find a good mechanic for NSX's let me know. There is an Acura dealership in Troy, which is pretty close to you, but I don't know the level of expertise there. Email me next spring and we can have another Michigan NSX get together.

I take my car to Jeffrey Acura in Roseville. They have a technician named Doug that is suppose to be good. I don't think you have the quality tech for NSX's in Mich as out West because you don't see many around here, too bad! I have only had oil changes done so far, thus I can't give you great feed back.

I don't think you have the quality tech for NSX's in Mich as out West

By "out West", I assume you mean Chicago and Milwaukee. Chicago has three dealers (led by Woodfield Acura in Hoffman Estates) who have top-notch NSX techs and do a huge amount of NSX service business. And, of course, Milwaukee is home to Acura of Brookfield, which does NSX race prep work as well, and is one of the top 2-3 Acura dealers in the country in terms of NSX expertise.

If you can't find a qualified dealer in Michigan for a major service project (for example, a clutch replacement, short gears, etc) I would consider driving to Chicago or Milwaukee for the service. Take a few days while they're working on your car to enjoy the city as well.

Also - a couple of years ago, I met Bill Taylor, the top NSX tech at Go Acura in Grand Rapids, and I thought he was very knowledgeable.

I live near the dealer in Troy, and every time I drive by there they have an NSX being worked on.

So at least they have experiance, for as few NSX's I see in Michigan.

I've only talked to one or two guys that take their car there for routine service, buy they seem to like the dealer.

Does anyone know who the Grey NSX belongs to? I've seen it a few times around Troy and Birmingham? Good looking color.. makes the car look very sleek.

Hey, I glad to see that there are some NSX's around the Detroit Area. I'll soon be one of them. I have heard of Acura dealers in Troy, Roseville (Ive seen the one in Roseville, and Ann Arbor). But those are the only ones I know, and I dont know if they have worked on NSX's or not. Thanks for the feedback though. Anyone else live near Detroit or in Michigan?

Just out of curiosity, Ive read some methods in storing cars in the Long Term Storage Section here in this website. For the people here in Michigan, just want your opinion in any tips, or must-dos in NSX storage during the winter?

Thanks!

Maybe next year when the temp is good and the sun is high, we should all have a little gathering.

I have heard of Acura dealers in Troy, Roseville (Ive seen the one in Roseville, and Ann Arbor). But those are the only ones I know

You missed the one in Farmington Hills. And, of course, the one in Grand Rapids (Kentwood).

any tips, or must-dos in NSX storage during the winter?

Battery charger.

Welcome Redeye!

I¡¦ve had mixed results with the dealership in Ann Arbor. They have (last time I checked) one good tech who does all their NSX work, but in the past I¡¦ve had a hard time with their service dept. managers. I think Carguy needs to open up a shop! ƒº

As far as storing it for the winter--all you need is a battery charger.

DanO

The battery charger I use is the kind that monitors the voltage and recharges only when it drops below a certain point. It's installed on the car so you just plug the power cord in. I am using the 1.5 Amp Fully Automatic Onboard Maintainer/Charger, Item Number SE-1-12S, manufactured by Schumacher Electric Corporation. You can order it direct from their website (click here) for $36.99. I have no financial interest and am just a satisfied user yadda yadda yadda...

Thanks for the tips.
I live in an apartment complex, and only have a covered parking lot for storage. THinking of getting a COvercraft Technalon cover for regular covering, then get a permabag or something for storing during winters. then the battery charger that you all tell me. Thanks for the tips. Any more are welcome.

By the way, how do you stick in your own avatar images? Sorry Im new to the forum

[This message has been edited by Redeye (edited 03 December 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Redeye (edited 03 December 2001).]

I live in an apartment complex, and only have a covered parking lot for storage.

You'll need a space near an electrical outlet to plug the charger in. (You'll also need an extension cord long enough to reach to the battery.)

THinking of getting a COvercraft Technalon cover for regular covering, then get a permabag or something for storing during winters.

The Technalon will work during winters too.

how do you stick in your own avatar images?

Click here for instructions.

Originally posted by Redeye and nsxtasy:

Redeye: I live in an apartment complex, and only have a covered parking lot for storage.

nsxtasy: You'll need a space near an electrical outlet to plug the charger in
I had a similar problem back when I kept my car in Chicago in a semi-public garage. Power outlets were not readily available.

The solution I used was a battery disconnect switch. This mounts to a battery terminal, and you unscrew it to break the connection (and cut the power drain). You can get some from bathurst.com; Griots Garage and others also sell them.

------------------
Manuel C
93 NSX S/B #394
93 300CE
93 NH750
www.geocities.com/mcantoria/mc-toys.html

[This message has been edited by nsx1164 (edited 03 December 2001).]

Welcome. I hope that you enjoy your NSX as much as I have. The Michigan group should again have a get together. A number of us got together here in Ann Arbor and I agree with Carguy that this spring sounds great. The Acura dealer in Ann Arbor is also the Mitsubishi dealer where I have gotten my Eclipse GSX worked on and they appear to do good work, at least they were honest. I have seen a Kaiser silver and black NSX at the same dealer.

there is a dealer in farmington hills. i took my car there for service last month ... and i will never be going back. worst service i've ever encountered.

a spring get together would be great. hey john, did you get the MODena yet?

Thanks for all the feedback.

Has anyone tried going to all these dealers with aftermarket installations, like headers, exhaust, etc? Or do you personally go somewhere else? May be thinking of getting a header and exhaust late summer...

Nick,

I didn't buy the 360 Modena, it was mainly because Dano wouldn't drive out with me to pick it up in New York! J.K. The guy ended up selling it while I was at NSXPO. It worked out for the best though as I see the prices are dropping due to the economy.

What problems did you have with the Dealer in Farmington? I just bought a MDX through them and everything went well.

John

P.S. Redeye, I have a friend that could put on the headers and exhaust for you. He installed my Comptech S.C. and would do a great job. You can email me if you want his number.

[This message has been edited by Carguy! (edited 09 December 2001).]

THanks for the feedback CarGuy! Does your friend do aftermarket mods very frequently on the NSX? Hmm..I will probably email him once I get the headers and exhaust. Maybe in the summer if you planned to go to him for some other installs to your nsx, I can come along for my mods too, get acquainted more comfortably.

Redeye,
I can't say he has done a lot of mods to the NSX. I had him put on the Comptech S/C and it came out perfect. In about a month I am having him put a Tein coil-over suspension, Exhaust & a bunch of other things to my NSX. If you want to go over and see some of the installation I don't think he would mind at all. If you want to send me your phone number I will call you when he is getting ready to do the installs.

Andie Lin here...used to live in Ann Arbor...

Ann Arbor Acura sucks goat nuts, period:

Let me explain. Took NSX in for fuel filter...$100...reasonable. Did good work...everything looked to spec. What did NOT look to spec is the speed/rev computer on my car which told me that the tech took the car out for a 99mph joy ride for 5 miles...

They also don't like doing warranty or TSB work...will find ANY reason not to do it. For example, the TSB for the squeaky targa top...straightforward ADMISSION from American Honda that the latches were too short (or the recesses were too long - take your pick)...Ann Arbor Acura wouldn't do the work because the car was lowered...said the targa squeaked because the suspension was too stiff...when we ALL know that the top squeaks PERIOD.

Anyhow...enough ranting. My opinion is that Ann Arbor Acura sucks nutz.

The best dealer I've been to anywhere is Acura of Brookfield. I used to drive 350 miles each way from Ann Arbor to Brookfield for major service...very much worth the effort.

Andie

[This message has been edited by HomeDepotNSX (edited 10 December 2001).]

Back