• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any Mod(s) that you regret???

That's not the first time I've heard that???

I love the way the oem Bose sounds...not a lot of boom, but that what exhaust is for:smile:

One of my favorite mods( not really a mod, but feels like it) was my $40 Bluetooth cassette ...love that thing.

U think the OEM Bose sounds good?

I'm not sure what sorta aftermarket ones you've heard, but my setup is much better sounding than any stock system that I've heard on the NSX and any OEM stereo from other cars/trucks.

Of course it wasn't cheap at $8k~

Oh... and I have blue tooth, carplay and all the goodies of a modern infotainment system.

Gig
U think the OEM Bose sounds good?

I'm not sure what sorta aftermarket ones you've heard, but my setup is much better sounding than any stock system that I've heard on the NSX and any OEM stereo from other cars/trucks.

Of course it wasn't cheap at $8k~

Oh... and I have blue tooth, carplay and all the goodies of a modern infotainment system.

Sounds good enough to me...I grew out of the bumping Dr Dre awhile ago:redface:.. I enjoy the music of the engine and the pride exhaust over most music anyways these days and my $40 Bluetooth cassette works just fine.:tongue:

To each their own though...spend your money on what ever makes you happy....I'm sure your $8000 system sounds great.... it better:biggrin:

It is an incredible car the way it was built. But after a few years of driving one stock, I began to see that the car had so much more potential than it was given in its later years of production.
I understand that; the stock NSX could be improved with more power, lower suspension, etc. But why start with a 23-year old stock model, when there are so many others out there? And why start by changing the color? Just makes no sense to me.

I understand that; the stock NSX could be improved with more power, lower suspension, etc. But why start with a 23-year old stock model, when there are so many others out there? And why start by changing the color? Just makes no sense to me.

What better way to do what you want to your car then with a blank canvas??? So many others out there??? Huh??? Btw, it's called a wrap, the perfect way to do a temporary color change of your choice without ruining the car with a permanent paint color change..all the while protecting the original paint...I could go right back to stock in less then two hours...but why would I want to to that??? If you want all NSXs to look the same, that's your prerogative...luckily most everyone on here mods their cars to what they like, not what others like.

Like I said, I could go back to bone stock anytime I want, I have all the original wheels, shocks, etc...but why???
Download-File

Last edited:

I think you'll find that a lot of us have made mods that can be reversed if the next owner would prefer that. And in many cases color changes are done for personal preference, to protect the original paint or to hide flaws. I find nothing wrong with a wrap as long as it's a quality job. I've seen some really nice work and 91 X's appears to be one those. Unless I know the car and its owner, I wouldn't purchase a car that has a wrap on it for fear of surprises underneath. All of that said, I've also seen some NSXs from most production years that have been permanently butchered or modded on the cheap. But, even some of those were likely in bad shape to begin with to the point that significant mods could actually be an improvement to it's value.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you elaborate on this? I'd like to install a turbocharger (modest boost) and change out the stereo. Has anyone installed the SOS-recommended Hertz system?

Hey Jeff,

I am a greedy bastard, so now I am building an engine and transmission because I know I will want more power. I don't really regret it, but my personality makes it very expensive for me! lol

I do have the SoS Stage Two system in my car. It sounds excellent. I have never been a car audio guy, but wow, it really sounds good and such a huge improvement over the factory.

Hey Jeff,

I am a greedy bastard, so now I am building an engine and transmission because I know I will want more power. I don't really regret it, but my personality makes it very expensive for me! lol

I do have the SoS Stage Two system in my car. It sounds excellent. I have never been a car audio guy, but wow, it really sounds good and such a huge improvement over the factory.
Hey Chris,

I've been reading with interest many of Lostbuckeye's posts and thinking of how cool it would be to install a SOS twin-turbo setup on my car, and saw your post stating that you regretted going turbo. Is it that you wish that you had just gone straight into building the powertrain? I'm a fan of the idea of keeping the car stock (resale...I love the car but unlike many here I don't plan on being buried in it😉). Yet a reversible mod is tempting, and I'd like the extra power. And I think the factory sound system in these cars to be sorely lacking. Glad to hear you like the SOS Hertz. My problem is the budget (2 kids, 1 starting private college this fall, and the NSX going in for a tb/wp very soon). Ah, to have an unlimited budget as so many posters on this site apparently have!

Last edited:
Another thumbs up for the stock stereo here. I'm sure 8 grand would deliver better sound, but with the limited use my car gets in our crap climate, I'll make do with with what it came with for now.

Hey Jeff,

Biggest regret is myself not just waiting to accomplish my cars build myself and utilize my on hand skills. 6 plus years later I am still contemplating on revamping the current build to keep up with a certain blue smurf which is just about maxed out on anything you can do to the NSX.

Another thumbs up for the stock stereo here. I'm sure 8 grand would deliver better sound, but with the limited use my car gets in our crap climate, I'll make do with with what it came with for now.

Not sure about laws in NS but here in California you basically can't touch you phone when you are in a car with the ignition key in.

Further, you can only have one ear piece in your skull's audio port.

Solution (for Apple or Android):

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8aUHNexY5Cs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k9y-aUBUeuo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have this in my NSX and now GTO and love it. Either Blue Tooth WiFi or plug the phone in and stuff it in the center console, so there isn't clutter or stuff flopping around with wires galore.

Hey Chris,

I've been reading with interest many of Lostbuckeye's posts and thinking of how cool it would be to install a SOS twin-turbo setup on my car, and saw your post stating that you regretted going turbo. Is it that you wish that you had just gone straight into building the powertrain? I'm a fan of the idea of keeping the car stock (resale...I love the car but unlike many here I don't plan on being buried in it&#55357;&#56841;). Yet a reversible mod is tempting, and I'd like the extra power. And I think the factory sound system in these cars to be sorely lacking. Glad to hear you like the SOS Hertz. My problem is the budget (2 kids, 1 starting private college this fall, and the NSX going in for a tb/wp very soon). Ah, to have an unlimited budget as so many posters on this site apparently have!

Hi Jeff,

To be honest, my car is not even done yet. The gentlemen (and I use that term loosely) is a friend and someone I trust. He has already warned me that I will get used to the car very quickly and want more power. Since I am very anal about being able to bring the car back to stock, I bought a spare engine that I am going to build. I am also working on a transmission as well. To really answer your question about the "why", has more to do with the overall cost of the NSX. These are not civics and we cannot get away with anything cheap! lol

As far as most of the guys here, their cars have been modded over time. Budget is definitely a concern with everyone, just push one of the kids to become a Doctor. They can pay for everything for you! haha

- - - Updated - - -

Biggest regret is myself not just waiting to accomplish my cars build myself and utilize my on hand skills. 6 plus years later I am still contemplating on revamping the current build to keep up with a certain blue smurf which is just about maxed out on anything you can do to the NSX.

The gloves are off!! You've turned me into a parts whore and now you are going to make me live in a cardboard box trying to keep up with you! I'm sure Sherry won't mind...I mean, love doesn't cost a thing right?

I'm surprised at the support of several people for the stock stereo. I think, with the failure-prone components, that the factory sound system would be among the first things many guys would replace. I'm not going to spend $8000 to install Batmans' system, but if (when...) mine goes I'd take a hard look at a more modestly-priced system, e.g. the offerings at SOS as a possible alternative to the original unit.

Last edited:
I thought I would keep the stock stereo but when I upgraded my other cars to Double DIN with GPS, BT, Wifi, USB, SD card, etc. features I was hooked and spoiled.

And after 3 of my friends were busted in much less flashy cars for not using hands free calling I decided to pull the trigger on the NSX. Of course my stereo upgrades for most of my fleet are competition grade - hence the price.

That's not the first time I've heard that???

I love the way the oem Bose sounds...not a lot of boom, but that what exhaust is for:smile:

One of my favorite mods( not really a mod, but feels like it) was my $40 Bluetooth cassette ...love that thing.

I just went out to Radio Shack and bought this unit. They charged me $50 (on sale from $60, so they said), but it's still hard to see
how you can go wrong at that price. Looking forward to trying it out! Thanks for the info!:smile:

I just went out to Radio Shack and bought this unit. They charged me $50 (on sale from $60, so they said), but it's still hard to see
how you can go wrong at that price. Looking forward to trying it out! Thanks for the info!:smile:

Cool man, well worth the $50 when compared to what other devices cost and the time to install... I've noticed the sound quality is the same or better then the CD player, although some sources like Sirius don't sound as good as the music on your regular downloaded music like on your iTunes or what ever... Another cool thing is that a full charge last like two weeks( depending how much you drive) it shuts down automatically if not in use... Also, if it starts cutting out, flip it...it sometimes works better backwards.

A stock pre 2002 Nsx is pretty boring/dated/meh to me so, modding is the only way to go for me.
Brooklynzson, looking at your signature you write "...too much to list". I'm always amazed at how much money some guys spend modifying their cars. I would consider some minor mods but only if they were reversible. But I have to admit, it is fun to see other guys' NSXs and see what can be done😊.

Brooklynzson, looking at your signature you write "...too much to list". I'm always amazed at how much money some guys spend modifying their cars. I would consider some minor mods but only if they were reversible. But I have to admit, it is fun to see other guys' NSXs and see what can be done��.
I'm amazed at what some spend on their cars myself. My little makeover in 2011 (Build thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/149802-The-Road-To-Hella-Flush ) was about $12,000 when I added up all the receipts, I was shocked to say the least lol. But it was timing belt, water pump, valve adjustments, wheels/tires, suspension, 02+ sides/rear etc. So it wasn't THAT bad. All of my mods are reversible (almost all mods are) & are pretty minor compared to others though *cough [MENTION=10363]nsxot1c[/MENTION] [MENTION=18451]synth19[/MENTION] *cough.

Last edited:
Back