• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any reviews on this residential car lift?

[MENTION=13572]cmc140[/MENTION] - do you back the NSX into the lift? It seems like the arms reach better that way since the lift will be closer to the rear wheels than the front.

I just installed an Atlas BP-8000 (same as Chris) and it just barely does not fit under my NSX. Will need some custom adapters or some wood on the floor. My car is 4" under the jack points and the lift supposedly goes down to 3.5" but without any adapters the arms will hit the rocker panel before hitting the jack points.

Because I had to lift something I put the family car on it:

What about using some low boy plastic car ramps to drive onto to get the height?
Dude how is that garage possible on a residence! I'm so envious.

What about using some low boy plastic car ramps to drive onto to get the height?
Dude how is that garage possible on a residence! I'm so envious.

Yes four ramps or even pieces of plywood would work I think. It was pretty close.

I still grin when I walk in the garage. It's bigger than our house.

[MENTION=13572]cmc140[/MENTION] - do you back the NSX into the lift? It seems like the arms reach better that way since the lift will be closer to the rear wheels than the front.

It all depends on what I'm doing because I have mine packed in the corner of the garage. It seems to be fine either way. Also i normally put thr rear pad just behind the actual jack point.

Wow Jason - Congratulations! Your garage looks way bigger than our home.

Do you have a thread on garagejournal? I haven't been on that website in years (same username).

Dave

Wow Jason - Congratulations! Your garage looks way bigger than our home.

Do you have a thread on garagejournal? I haven't been on that website in years (same username).

Ha, it's bigger than our home too! It's in a fairly dense residential area, which makes it all the more unusual. There's a tennis court on the roof, which is really just a playground for our kids.

I posted a question or two on garagejournal, and look for various info there but haven't started a thread about my garage. I'm sure I would get a lot of valuable advice. The ceiling is pretty low (9') but there's so much space that I always have room for a project. It can be a bit of a puzzle to get things in and out because there are only three doors but I really love it. I'd like to coat the floor (or part of it) but I think I will need to put in a sump pump first, as right now the floor gets moist from below.

I could do doughnuts in this garage, no problem. It'd be like Tokyo drift up in there!

That's living the dream. Now that the NSX is bought a big garage / tiny house is the next on the list. Glad to see some people are indeed doing it in residential areas!

Between my Toy Box and Car Cave (Big detached garage and then the narrow rear addition to it) garages I have a total of 5 lifts. I got my 1'st one ~ 1997 and my last in 2011)
Ceiling height needed will be the height of each car ( if used for starage and allow another ~ foot+ for lift platform and safety space between tops to lift bottom and ceiling
My first is a platform type (like you'd see in NY city for stacked storage)
The second one I acquired is an older Walker 4 post Frame supporting one which operates via an electric winch vs hydraulic and only has one height latching point. ( I want to see this someday and put something else in its place)
The 3'rd I got was a 4 post by American Lifts ( which has since folded). Though it serves as storage, it is also my most used for working cars... especially once I added 2 RJ-35 Rolling lifts to tracks several years ago.
The 4'th and 5'th were bough together and are my favorites for storage with minimal floor space interferences. (If I sell the Walker unit I'd probably replace it with a 3'rd of those)

So here are my suggestions to consider these days
4 post liftshttp://www.gregsmithequipment.com/4-Post-Lift/Hobbyist

Highly recommended 4 post accessory (I have the RJ-35s). This enables a 4 poster to work almost like a standard 2 post.
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Lift-Type/Rolling-Sliding-Jacks

These are my favorite ... a single post - primarily for storage with minimal footprint or floor interference... (I have 2). They do enable some work. When using as a working lift I place a tranny jack at outer/center of outer track edge for added stability.

I assembled my 2 units all by myself with aid of a borrowed engine lift to lift and move the parts around. If you can get 2 or 3 helpers it will go a lot easier.
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-SP6000-Single-Post-Specialty-Lift

and they have a portable version of the single post for quick work when needed
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Master-Series-SPL-6-Portable-Single-Post-Lift

Thought I gave a reply a few days back with a lot of details, but do not see it. So here is a second try.
I have accumulated 5 lifts (in 4 different styles/uses) over last 20 years.

I'd suggest Greg Smith as mentioned above as they are good people to deal with. Though I only got my last two plus some accessories from them.

4 post liftshttp://www.gregsmithequipment.com/4-Post-Lift/Hobbyist

Plus Highly recommended 4 post accessory (I have the RJ-35s ) I got 2 of these for my old American Auto Lifts (now OOB) 4 poster. They enable a 4 poster to be quite like a 2 poster for safely getting all 4 corners in the air whe needed and leaving it as a storage lift when that is appropriate.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Lift-Type/Rolling-Sliding-Jacks

Below link is for my NEWSET additions and favorite ... a single post - primarily for storage with minimal footprint or interference... (I have 2) though they do enable a lot of work. With any of my Zs on top I can set at ~6' and walk anywhere w/o head banging ( as I'm ~ 5'-10") If/When using as a working lift, I place a tranny jack at outer/center of outer track edge for added stability. May not be needed since they are good for 6.5k#, But with that outer leg support there is no cantilever type movement when torqueing or working things on a car. Solid as my 4 poster.
I assemble my 2 units all by myself with aid of a borrowed engine lift to lift and move the parts around. Figure 2 days each once you have settled on layout/ placement. They only need 4" base while some 2 posters need min of 6" (if not more).
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-SP6000-Single-Post-Specialty-Lift

and they have a portable version of the single post for quick work when needed and then you move it away/store.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Master-Series-SPL-6-Portable-Single-Post-Lift

BTW
You may not need as much ceiling height as you think for added storage.
Figure height of both vehicle plus say a foot added. The foot is for thickness of ramps or platform or arms, plus some space above top car since the available spacing of safety latches may not be where you'd prefer for your particular cars.

All my 5 lifts have ceilings of ~ 10.5 - 11' and there is plenty of extra space... though I have some NOTE stickers/guides on some which can go higher than needed and result in damage. Someday I may put a DYI stop so I can overshoot.
My shorter cars are Z31 & Z32 Nissans, Caddy Allante' & XLR and an '05 TBird
My higher ones are Nissan Z33 (350Z), '09 GTR, '05 Acura RL, and highest is Volvo S80 T6.
No issues stacking any of those in assorted combos. the lift with shortest ceiling area (~ 10.5') can handle the S80 and RL

PS
I have an older Walker 4 poster with elec. winch cable and pulley lifting system. I use it only for fixed storage. It has two I-beam rails running down center with sliding attachments for supporting an engine and tranny for lifting. However I have a Citroen SM on it and use 2 AL I-Beams perpendicular on the center rails which support the cars frame lift points.
I want to sell and convert that one to a single post... someday.

I have tried 2 time to give a bunch of personal experience lift info ( I have 5 total) but for some reason after a lot of typing it never gets posted so I give up.

A few pieces of 2x6 made it easy to get my car on the lift. Made for an easy oil change!
1CDF35C7-09C7-4B26-9912-C7409AD66E26_zpsxugroyc5.jpg

I have had this for over 10 years now:

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/specialty-lifts/sp-7x.aspx

The issue I had with the two post was I have a 2 car garage, and the 2 post was so wide it would have taken away my other parking spot in the garage. Only down side to the scissor lift is every once and a while, I get a shot in the head when I hit the platform:). One of my friends gave me a hard hat to wear, but it makes me too tall;). I guess I should be happy with that:):):).

Regards,
LarryB

ac lifts is the company i went with , i put the double wide in my new garage. most people say it is a drag to have to remove both cars to get down one. however i did not want to have a maze of posts (8) if i went with separate lifts to navigate on daily basis… in the northeast the cars stay mostly up in the winter! good luck in the search and your choice..this was when first moved back in..garage now has finished epoxy floor and steel mezzanine to the right to match the lift and for storage and all custom built-ins for lifes clutter and kids sports gear...

Attachments

• IMG_3027[1].jpg
    IMG_3027[1].jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_3026[1].jpg
    IMG_3026[1].jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
I have had this for over 10 years now:

http://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/specialty-lifts/sp-7x.aspx

The issue I had with the two post was I have a 2 car garage, and the 2 post was so wide it would have taken away my other parking spot in the garage. Only down side to the scissor lift is every once and a while, I get a shot in the head when I hit the platform:). One of my friends gave me a hard hat to wear, but it makes me too tall;). I guess I should be happy with that:):):).

Regards,
LarryB
How much does this one run Larry? Do they have to be drilled into the floor at all?

ac lifts is the company i went with , i put the double wide in my new garage. most people say it is a drag to have to remove both cars to get down one. however i did not want to have a maze of posts (8) if i went with separate lifts to navigate on daily basis… in the northeast the cars stay mostly up in the winter! good luck in the search and your choice..this was when first moved back in..garage now has finished epoxy floor and steel mezzanine to the right to match the lift and for storage and all custom built-ins for lifes clutter and kids sports gear...

What made you chose AC over the Bendpak double wide? IF I don't move, I will be looking into a double wide.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how easy is to navigate ingress/egress out of the car further to the left under the double wide setup?

I have several lifts. 5 in total. 3 different ones in the Toy Box. The red/blue Four Poster is used for most work as it now (but not in the old pix) also has two rolling jacks (RJ35 form Greg Smith) which can enable it function like a 2 poster and 4 point lift car off tracks. And in the rear Car Cave addition, I have 2 more but identical jacks which are perfect for limiting the footprint needed. Great for storage and some basic mte. The pix are from various times in past. The narrow Car Cave has since been filled with much more stuff, like a M/C and walls filled with memorabilia. Hope these pix will help some looking for lift option ideas. The white '73 Citroen SM is on an old school late 60's vintage elect winch Walker 4 poster. I hope to sell it in future and replace with a single poster like the twins (from Greg Smith Equipment) in the Car Cave.

And before I close, let me apologize for lack of any NSX's in pix on this forum... YET. I'm a newbie. As much as I've wanted one for along time, I've yet to find the right one/deal... yet. Though I did find one contender last year, family issues delayed checking it out before it was gone.
But I remain on the look out for the right Gen 1 version (preferably '02 -05) in right condition w/proper mte. history for "reasonable" price. However, my dealer (who has had my deposit for his first order since June '13) has my Gen 2 order build and is just waiting for corporate green light to submit it. Once complete and delivered, it will be at home in the Car Cave.
Hope those with interest can make sense of it all.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2231 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2231 (Large).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 716
  • IMG_2278 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2278 (Large).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_2483 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2483 (Large).jpg
    82 KB · Views: 718
  • P1020049 (Large).jpg
    P1020049 (Large).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 713
  • P1080745 (Large).jpg
    P1080745 (Large).jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 719
  • P1080769 (Large).jpg
    P1080769 (Large).jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 721
  • P1150439 (Large).jpg
    P1150439 (Large).jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
the space to the left of the lift is normal space between door and wall of the garage ... you can open door to the left just the same as with or with out the lift and the posts are at the furthest point in corners of garage with room to walk between the back of car and the posts with no issues...

I went with ac lifts only because it is from what I was told made in America and this model clears the underneath for suv and if there is any issues in the future the parts are easier to obtain than others made outside this country...again I have no experience with any other lifts and cannot comment on them but I am truly happy with my choice which works for me and my setup...

the only issue I had initially was the location of the power supply and one phone call to the owner of aclift and one email of the photos he called the installer and the problem was solved in a day...we relocated the power supply to the wall in front of the lift to allow me to lower easier when needed ...because you have to engage the locks as well as the depress the lever at same time and where it was the first time was not easy for me since I am not the tallest ...hope this helps...and good luck with any choice made...

I have several lifts. 5 in total. 3 different ones in the Toy Box. The red/blue Four Poster is used for most work as it now (but not in the old pix) also has two rolling jacks (RJ35 form Greg Smith) which can enable it function like a 2 poster and 4 point lift car off tracks. And in the rear Car Cave addition, I have 2 more but identical jacks which are perfect for limiting the footprint needed. Great for storage and some basic mte. The pix are from various times in past. The narrow Car Cave has since been filled with much more stuff, like a M/C and walls filled with memorabilia. Hope these pix will help some looking for lift option ideas. The white '73 Citroen SM is on an old school late 60's vintage elect winch Walker 4 poster. I hope to sell it in future and replace with a single poster like the twins (from Greg Smith Equipment) in the Car Cave.

And before I close, let me apologize for lack of any NSX's in pix on this forum... YET. I'm a newbie. As much as I've wanted one for along time, I've yet to find the right one/deal... yet. Though I did find one contender last year, family issues delayed checking it out before it was gone.
But I remain on the look out for the right Gen 1 version (preferably '02 -05) in right condition w/proper mte. history for "reasonable" price. However, my dealer (who has had my deposit for his first order since June '13) has my Gen 2 order build and is just waiting for corporate green light to submit it. Once complete and delivered, it will be at home in the Car Cave.
Hope those with interest can make sense of it all.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
Sheesh gadgetman, how many cars do you have?:eek:

Sheesh gadgetman, how many cars do you have?:eek:

Too Many per my wife.
The recent addition of '02 NSX made it 12.
the '17 due soon will it make an unlucky 13 so maybe I need to sell one... OR better yet add one more to make 14?
Unfortunately, I need to make room for the 17

I have the Danmar 4 post. I chose a 4 post since I am against a wall. With the 2 post then you can't get to the legs to get them set under the car. As far as changing tires I bought a jack that slides on the rails that enable me to lift the car up. Also remember if you are close to the garage door then it needs to be raised up to the ceiling

I'm bumping this thread because I'll be picking a lift to install into my new Florida home. I never got around to installing one here in California. I had a question for some of you guys who purchased one. Did they deliver to your house without a forklift? Also, does anyone who sells these offer in home installation?

Installation of my 2-post lift was pretty easy for me and a few friends. If you are going with a 4-post lift it would be even easier because of no need to anchor to the concrete. I did get an engine hoist to unload the lift from my trailer.

I'm bumping this thread because I'll be picking a lift to install into my new Florida home. I never got around to installing one here in California. I had a question for some of you guys who purchased one. Did they deliver to your house without a forklift? Also, does anyone who sells these offer in home installation?

message me when you come down here. I just put 2 in my place and I have the guy that will handle everything from delivery to install. He has done lifts for all the super high end homes down in fl and came recommended from American custom lifts, the rolls Royce of lifts.

Back