• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any way to adjust calipers to make rear wheels fit?

I have a set of 17/18 rims on my 2000 NSX. I'm not sure what the offset is on the rears, but I was forced to run 5mm spacers on them to clear the calipers. As a result, the wheels stick out a bit more than I would like (probably about 5mm :smile:). I like the wheels, but really don't like the way the rears look. So, I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to make the wheels fit without spacers.

I was planning on putting a camber kit on the rear at some point, so would adjusting the camber help at all? My car is lower, although I think the negative camber was only around -2.1 or so when I had the car aligned.

My other option would be to reach out to the manufacturer to see if they can do anything for me (rims were custom, although unfortunately, I did not specifcy the offset and ended up with this problem).

No way of fixing it unless you got new wheels for the rear with the right offset, lots of nsx owners run spacers in the rear to clear the calipers, but changing camber might make your tires wear out even faster, got any pics?

There are many answers here.

To directly answer your question - NO, there is no way to adjust calipers.

If you find that the wheels stick out too far , it is doubtful that 5mm will make any difference, even myself I would have a hard time spotting a 5mm difference by eye.

As mugen said , post pics and maybe we can make suggestions.

Actually there is a way, but it's not cheap. I did it on my car and it was because of the wheel design. I purchased the Racing Brake BBK which has 13" discs, so the caliper effectively moves outward to a point where it clears the spokes (the spokes concave a little, see curvature below).
IMG_0498.jpg

Here's the Rear's (wheels 19x9.5") Before/After
RearBefore.jpg
RearAfter.jpg

Here's how they look with/without the 5mm spacer
IMG_0516.jpg
NoSpacer2.jpg

I'm not sure how your wheels are designed, but this could be an option for you. For me, it killed 3 birds with one stone. 1) It allowed me to run my rear wheels without a 5mm spacer (it hit the caliper carrier bracket). 2) It made my brakes look more "manly" 3) It increased braking performance considerably.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I kind of figured I was stuck with running the spacers, but thought it was worth asking. I was thinking about running the Racing Brake oversized rotors, so maybe that might help?

Here are some pictures:

100_0953.jpg

100_09961.jpg

100_09981.jpg

I was also considering getting some different rims, so I might just go down that path.

Lowering the car more and adding more negative camber will pull the top of the wheel inward which may correct the stance and be what you are after. I assume its because the wheel sits at or maybe a bit past the fender that bothers you. Only drawback would be more negative camber the more chance of uneven tire wear, but really doesnt look too bad from the pics you posted.

I never thought about changing the mounting location of the caliper by upgrading the rotors. Ill have to keep that in mind for future projects. Most cases the spoke angle will bow more towards the outer portion of the wheel, even on a flatter spoke design, nice catch.

Lowering the car more and adding more negative camber will pull the top of the wheel inward which may correct the stance and be what you are after. I assume its because the wheel sits at or maybe a bit past the fender that bothers you. Only drawback would be more negative camber the more chance of uneven tire wear, but really doesnt look too bad from the pics you posted.

Lowering the car more will automatically add more negative camber. You shouldn't need camber kits unless you want to correct the negative camber. Because of the suspension geometry, the whole wheel will pull in more too as you lower it. You can easily see that here:
Raised.jpg
NoSpacer2.jpg

You can also see for yourself by going at a 45 degree angle up a driveway or incline. This will compress one of the front wheels and one of the rear wheels more and you'll see how what I mean.

Back