• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone here purchased a JDM NSX?

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to the NSX community and looking at potentially purchasing an NSX in the next couple years. I'm starting my initial research and I've always wanted a JDM version. Yes, it's because of the fact that it's RHD which to me makes it incredibly unique, so don't try to talk me out of buying a RHD model (unless it truly is a terrible idea). My question is to see if anyone has purchased a JDM NSX. If so, how did your experience go? I'm aware there are some disadvantages of buying an import, such as the fact that mileage fraud is common in Japan, and it's hard to verify vehicle history. I wouldn't want to import one myself, instead I'd probably go through an import company such as this one: http://jdm-expo.com/18-honda

Just curious to see how your overall experience went and if there are any mistakes I should learn from before starting this process. Thanks all!

Use the search function on Prime. About 1-2 years ago there was a thread with somebody pushing the idea of importing JDM NSXs for their unique factor. As I recall they didn't get a really warm reception; but, that is another story. You might be able to find some useful information if you can find that thread. I seem to recall some discussion of the process for importing the cars and things to watch out for.

My friend's son works in Japan. He knew I was NSX shopping back in 2011 and sent me some info on available NSXs in Japan. The info and links that he sent me indicated that, even without the cost of shipping and all the associated export transaction fees, there was a very significant cost premium to buy in Japan. At the time, the North American NSX market prices were probably depressed; but, I suspect the price difference more reflected the fact that relative to North America, there are very few NSXs in Japan which commands a 'rare' price premium. The novelty of RHD held no attraction for me so the premium to purchase in Japan killed that idea. The only attraction to buying in Japan would be able to acquire a true NSX-R (at a super price premium). However, If I had a true R I would probably wrap it up in a storage bag and never take it out of the garage, and what is the fun in that. I have been out of the market so I don't know whether that premium still exists.

Be aware that there are a lot of unique parts to RHD versus LHD cars. There are obvious parts differences and some not so obvious differences (I seem to recall that North American market cars have different part numbers on the ECUs). There were a lot fewer RHD cars made so those unique parts may have a much lower availability and a higher price. The cost of ownership premium may extend well beyond the initial purchase price. Also, if you ever did take the car into a dealership for non routine maintenance, they are probably going to look at you like 'what fresh hell is this'. If you buy a JDM NSX make sure that you get a RHD service manual to go with it.

Thank you for the advice so far everyone. And yes if you have any additional links to share, that would be great. I definitely did a search before posting here but didn't find the info I was looking for, perhaps I just didn't look hard enough.

Glad you are doing some research, but most important, talk to those who currently own a RHD NSX. Test drive one if you can. As people have already mentioned driving a RHD car in a LHD world is a pain. Example - huge oncoming blind spot when turning left.

Other issues to consider: parts availability, any RHD specific part will most likely need to be sourced from Japan if it can be sourced at all, it will be harder to find a 5-speed RHD car and you may have to compromise with an auto.

Cars sourced from the UK need to be inspected carefully as corrosion is an issue. Every daily driven UK car I've seen pictures of look absolutely horrible underneath. The Japan climate is milder, but it is still an island and depending on where the car lived will have salt air exposure.

Unless you have the funds to fly to where the car is to inspect it, you will need to rely on the word of the seller / importer. A PPI is a must, but risky none the less.

Factor thousands over the purchase price for freight, import duties, dock storage, customs fees, EPA, DOT, etc. In other words DO YOUR HOMEWORK when it come to importing a vehicle. Best to buy one that has already been imported, but the selection is limited.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice so far everyone. And yes if you have any additional links to share, that would be great. I definitely did a search before posting here but didn't find the info I was looking for, perhaps I just didn't look hard enough.

what specific info are you looking for?

From what I have gathered here, JDM nsx’s are either not documented well or are automatics. There’s many great examples here stateside for sale recently with everyone having fire sales trying to get rid of these cars recently. You may not see it here, but there’s so many for sale on Facebook recently even the coveted Grand Prix white ones. I think it’s because of the lack of Parts availability and it’s a REAL problem which nobody else seems to recognize. I have recently moved on from the Honda brand due to this but I’m still keeping my 91. Its not a skyline, you do not need to buy a jdm example to enjoy it...

Not sure, but is the early NSX-R eligible to be imported to the US next year?

It's over 25 years old so I would think the 1992 Honda NSX-R would be eligible for import. Finding one to import may be another story.

I have one.

JDM auto's are higher priced than a US manual transmission. Manuals are rare and can easily get a 2x cost premium over autos. Stock manuals are very rare and very expensive in JP.

Parts are no problem from amayama.com. Can be very expensive to ship. I am finding that RHD parts are still available, whereas some LHD parts are not. Getting used parts out of JP is difficult and requires a third party within JP to ship them out.

The electrical system is a bit different. The interior is slightly biased toward the driver, so a lot of the parts in the interior are handed. The front firewall and anything that hangs on it can be handed.

Fraud can be a problem in JP....lots of foreigners pushing junk nowadays. Only cursory inspections are allowed at auctions. You need trusted boots on the ground in JP; and even then they can't do a whole lot of inspections.

Prolly not worth it in an LHD country at all. I wouldn't do it except for a special "Type" and it will probably be worth more in JP than in the States.

Last edited:
I too have one.

I am in New Zealand, the same as Drew (above).

The best website for cars for sale in Japan is https://kuruma-ex.jp/ - set your browser to auto-translate Japanese to English and away you go.

I bought my car from http://www.route-ks.com/ via http://proslink.jp - Kenneth was my contact, and very efficient he was too.

Back