• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone see the new NA Power Paks from Science of Speed?

As the website states, "Maximum gains require supporting modifications (listed below)". The different products work together as a system. Keep in mind that the listed 30hp gain of stage 1 is conservative and you must consider the mid range power gained especially with the ECU tuning. We will be working diligently next week to provide a library of dyno graphs for your perusal of the different modifications.

best regards,
-- Chris

I'm interested inthe Stage 3 +95HP conversion. Do you have any dyno grapghs on this set-up. How is reliability and driveability. i.e. is the power much easier to use than a turbo set-up? Would the power be greater in the low end (under 5,000rpm) than a turbo system?

I'm going to the FI shootout in Vegas next weekend to compare the Factor X 3.3 liter engine with the 400HP turbo set-up. It would be great to see a 3.3 liter NA car from SOS out there to give us all a chance to see for ourselves and compare!

Arata said:
Am I the only one who reads this and thinks, they really do not have accurate dyno numbers, just like he said?

Nope.

stevenlee said:
I'm going to the FI shootout in Vegas next weekend to compare the Factor X 3.3 liter engine with the 400HP turbo set-up.

Steven-

Don't go next weekend.... you should wait until the weekend after next.

Next weekend's shootout will be a lonely one:)

NA Power baby!!!!

I'm so glad you all have talked about this subject. I have 2k NSX with a fairly new block (5k miles), intake & exhaust. Just as you 3.2's, i'm looking into more NA HP and want know your opinions as well.

1) Has anyone looked or heard of anything from http://www.todaracing.com/products/honda_nsx/index.html

2) I've spokedn to Chris @ SOS & he recommended only a stage 2 for the 3.2. So any opinions?

3) Does anyone know of any reliable shops to have the parts installed in the bay are or should i have it done @ SOS?

4) SOS, if u read this, i'm willing to let u guys work on my car as well to develop for us 3.2's.

5) Anyone going to the shootout 6/5-6/6 from the bay are?

Will the ecu work for non acura's? as in are they the same for euro and jap spec nsx ?

Hi all!

Just consider the power gain by only applying Stage 1 without i/H/E! Wouldn't it be embarrassing for Honda to accomplish that you can get 30 HP only by exchanging ECU and throttle intake? That would mean a very conservative (bad) design that you mayby find in a cheap car but not in a Honda. As you look at the 3.0-manifold it's there where you mainly get the power for the first stage!
And: Don't look at the peak output alone. What counts is the power-delivery over a wider rev-range and throttle response with drivability, especially in the mid range where you start to rev!:)
Concluding: the Stage 1 is a small but very good step to improve your car's performance and that for a reasonable price.
Consider: The power gain is not a linear function of your money expense, it's more quadratic I think. But that has never be different in the past.

Greetings
Thomas

NSXBOX: I can tell you for sure that at least the ECU of my '98 european cp. is different from the U.S. '98 ECUs. Learned that directly from Honda when researching a special issue.

So I suspect that may also be the case for other model years because of different needs for emission rules etc.

Do I need to dyno the car at stage 2 or 3? Or can I simply bolt on the new parts and be off driving?

If Chris really advises only stage 2 for our 3.2 litres that would lead to some questions:
Stage 2 includes stage 1 (Intake manifold etc.)
So if we take away the stage 1 things and the ECU (which is only for the older cars) from stage 2 list what does this reduced kit cost and what gain could be achieved?

goldNSX said:
Hi all!

Just consider the power gain by only applying Stage 1 without i/H/E! Wouldn't it be embarrassing for Honda to accomplish that you can get 30 HP only by exchanging ECU and throttle intake?

I think you are wrong. Stage 1 nets 30 HP with I/H/E. Without it, I think you would get about +5HP.

We still don't have definitive answer on this.

This is a new product that SOS is offering to us, instead of picking it apart we should be happy that there is a different route to go other than FI.
They have been working on this for a while, and are still fine tuning it.
Chris is a stickler for the details, he will post the dyno charts when ALL the data is collected.

Net Viper
" We still don't have definitive answer on this"

I think he did answer the question, but if you didn't under stand it here is my 2 Canadian cents.

Sos posted that if you buy these.
ScienceofSpeed Big Bore Throttle Body
ScienceofSpeed Stage 1 SuperTune ECU (1991-94 only)
Intake Manifold.

You will also need these.
Exhaust header manifolds, exhaust system, and intake.

To gain those kind of numbers, some cars may dyno bigger or lower hp numbers.

Most people all ready have
exhaust header manifolds, exhaust system, and intake.
He is posting package's that shows what is possible with all these parts.

I hope I answer everyone's questions below:

1. Stage 1, 2, or 3 is compatible with 3.0 and 3.2L cars. The end result of stage 3 is no different from a 3.0L vs. a 3.2L as the block sleeving and displacement will be the same. What I've recommended to our customers is to sell their 3.2L engines since they are worth a decent amount of money and use a 3.0L core for the engine work. This presents a cost effective way of upgrading.

We have not tested the 3.2L engine with the cams, however, they are compatible (the specs are the same through the years). The gains should be even more significant since the stock heads and block flow more volume and more efficiently than the early engines.

Since we do not have a 3.2L car available for testing, we'd be willing to offer a discount to the first customer who wishes to upgrade. We'll cover the cost of dyno testing before and after either here in Arizona or at your location.

2. The ECU programs for the stock computer are developed with 91 octane pump gas. The Japanese (and possibly the European) ECUs are programmed from the factory for a higher octane used by these regions. The ECUs are only compatible with OBD1 cars, so I'm sorry to say the options available to the later cars are limited. AEM is working on throttle by wire drivers for their stand alone computer however, and I'm promised the NSX will be one of the applications that will be available in the future.

3. The parts are designed as a bolt-on solution. All stages can be used with the factory ECU (we include our tuned ECU for all stages for 91-94 cars). We do suggest the stage 2 and stage 3 customers consider the AEM EMS which allows fine tuning of the spark and fuel tables. We provide base calibrations for each stage, which should be fine tuned for the specific application.

4. "We still don't have definitive answer on this." See prior post.

Cheers,
-- Chris

prova4re said:
I think he did answer the question, but if you didn't under stand it here is my 2 Canadian cents.

Sos posted that if you buy these.
Intake Manifold.

You will also need these.
Exhaust header manifolds, exhaust system, and intake.

To gain those kind of numbers, some cars may dyno bigger or lower hp numbers.

Most people all ready have
exhaust header manifolds, exhaust system, and intake.
He is posting package's that shows what is possible with all these parts.

Like I said before, if you already have I/H/E you are picking up roughly 25HP. So to me, if I understand this correctly, Stage 1 would add roughly 5 HP.

To get +30HP you would need:
Intake Manifold.
Headers
Exhaust
Intake

Since the Stage 1 ECU is tuned for I/H/E, I wonder if there is any benefit at all?

Again, if I am way off, please correct me.

I do not mean anything negative against the NA packages. I think it is great that we could pick up roughly the same HP as a CTSC and have it NA for the similar costs!

Hi Chris

A-what/who is RS-spec? Who is making these cams/valvesprings/retainers?

B-What is the bore size on your 3.3L sleeve block, 94mm? What sleeve company do you use?

C-The Big Bore TB is just a stock unit machined out with a new plate correct? And it's $295 with core exhange?

D-Don't you think 11:1 is fairly conservative for CR? What kept you guys from getting closer to 12:1, the 91 octane limitation?

Thanks,

RS Machines is our machine shop who we have worked together to develop these products. I'm sorry but the manufactures for the individual components are confidential.

The bore is 95mm (95.0mm x 78.2mm = 3.33L)

Yes, you are correct on the throttle body.

The engine packages were designed to offer long term durability and reliability. More aggressive packages can be put together for race applications. We chose 11:1 based on the piston, head, and cam design with a certain margin of error for the different gas quality that our street customers will come across.

Cheers,
-- Chris

NA Tune !

Hello,

For the record... I have a 3.0L 91 NSX

I was one of the first purchasers of the SOS chip and Chris has my Dyno..... I do not have the whole stage 1 done just the chip. I have H/I/E and Candrell AIS. The assumptions are correct on the 5hps gain mine was 6hps peak... more importantly... my mid range incresed substancially from the stock ECU (shown on the Dyno posted soon from chris) My Torque gain was close to 20lbs !!!!!!

My car moves much faster now as torque is what really gets it going aposed to hps.... I am very satisfied with the product and more importantly that our NSX comunity has people like Chris and Seth to offer new products so we can choose....

Just wanted to clear some of the smoke... I plan on adding the rest of stage on to my car......

Re: NA Tune !

Viewfromtheback said:
I was one of the first purchasers of the SOS chip and Chris has my Dyno..... I do not have the whole stage 1 done just the chip. I have H/I/E and Candrell AIS. The assumptions are correct on the 5hps gain mine was 6hps peak... more importantly... my mid range incresed substancially from the stock ECU (shown on the Dyno posted soon from chris) My Torque gain was close to 20lbs !!!!!!

That you for answering my question.

Sounds like the chip is well worth it.

Just to clarify, are you saying you picked up 20lbs of TQ from just installing the chip or with the chip + i/h/e?

Quality power

I think that peak HP improvements are overrated. If the system is good, there would be an improvement throughout the powerband. Weather it is 6HP or 50HP peak improvement, the area between the two graphes (stock vs modded) is what going to really count. I would rather have a (+/-) 5% improvement throughout the powerband with a 15 HP peak gain than a 25HP peak gain between 6800rpm-7500rpm and loss or little gain at lower rpm.

I cant wait to hear success stories from the alpha buyers.

like everyone else here, i await further info. i think that most of us who would be interested in these packages already have I/H/E mods, so using that as well as stock for a starting point for further info would be great.

I just installed the Stage 1 Big Bore Throttle Body & SuperTune ECU from SOS. Along with the Japanese Short Gears, 4.55 R&P and Gruppe M intake with a custom Air Funnel that Will Cantrell made for it, Headers and Exhaust, the car has a greatly improved performance feel in all ranges. I have run it before with a performance chip and the Stage 1 combination is far improved over what the chip provided.

Back