• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone subscribe to Hulu?

Does anyone subscribe to Hulu? If so, how do you like it? Do you watch it on your computer, TV, etc.? I am considering giving up my cable and subscribing to Hulu. I get about five million channels on my Comcast and watch about three.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

I have a Hulu account. I used it all the time, streaming TV shows on my computer at work.

Recently I created an account with Netflix and haven't touched Hulu in months. I can not only stream the same TV shows from Hulu, but also Movies as well. I've got an Instant Que I use to collect everything I want to watch. The great part about Netflix, no commercials and season after season of the same show. I watched Prison Break, Nip Tuck, 24 and currently The Office from start to finish.

Although any TV show or recent season that is currently on TV can't be watched using Netflix.

Recently I've gone back to Hulu to watch the latest episodes of House.

Creating a Hulu account is a no-brainer...doesn't cost anything and it's easy to use.

Last edited:
I'm on the verge of doing the same. I'm just trying to find the right TV...

The best bet I've found to simplify the conversion is getting a Samsung Blu ray BD-c6900 as it has wireless built in, is 3-d capible (which I think is a joke, but good to have should it actually take off in the future) a built in hard drive, and can access Netflix and Hulu plus among others. You can find them for 200 or so if you look around. This set up appeals to me as everything is accessed through the Blu ray player via the TV, so you don't have to fiddle with your computer every time you want to watch a show.

A lot of TV's and Blu ray players have netflix, but hulu plus is harder to find. To my knowledge this is the only current Blu ray with Hulu plus access (I may be wrong, but I know there aren't many as I've been looking for a while). Samsung said some of their other players would be able to access Hulu plus in the future, but last I heard that has yet to happen for quality control issues, as Hulu doesn't want its product on a player if it can't perform to their standards.

Hulu plus is 10/month, but worth it as you can watch all seasons of a given show, not just a few episodes as you can with the free version of Hulu. I'm planning on pulling the trigger as soon as I find my TV, so I'll report back and let you know how it all goes. I'm picky though, and I like deals, so I may delay until/after black friday...

I use Netflix on my computer at work and my PS3 at home. The quality of Netflix is great through the PS3, watching through my 46" 1080p. It's better now that PS3 has a Netflix App, versus the Netflix disc everytime you want to watch something. I didn't know Hulu Plus has all episodes available compared to the free version...nice to know. I guess the only benefits are Netflix's movies and Hulu's current content.

Sent from my Droid

OK. I was thinking of purchasing an Apple TV and their cables for my connection and that would allow me to utilize my NetFlix subscription and also subscribe to Hulu to watch some different programing. As I mentioned in the first post, I subscribe to Comcast now and I only utilize the History Channel, Discovery Channel, PBS, etc. That being said, I am a news junky. Is there any way I could get news via Hulu? My Comcast bill is $220 per month for my cable, Internet and telephone. I am thinking of canceling my cable, switching my Internet to AT&T and don't know what I'll do about my phone.

What's the best way to hook all of this stuff up?:confused:

I think you and me are on the same wavelength. I've been researching dropping Comcast for the same reason, though my triple play is only 150 (I'm betting you got the better package, I was to cheap :biggrin:)

Phone - Magic Jack or Ooma. Like 3.00/month. Ooma website has a zip code evaluater as actual cost varies based on zip code (local taxes) but its still dirt cheap. There is an upfront cost to get the Oma hub (120ish), but the long term savings is the goal. I don't do international calling so I don't know about that, but you could look into Skype if thats a concern. Both options need high speed internet, and if you want home security like Brinks, using Ooma or Magic Jack may or may not work depending on who you listien to on the interwebz.

Internet - Best bet for me is still Comcast. There are other options, but speed matters to me, and DSL in my area is slow and not much cheaper. I've looked at clear but I don't get great reception. Since my future TV/phone will be based on using my internet connection, I don't want to skimp. When you cancel phone/tv, act like your gonna cancel internet too unless they put you on one of those reduced cost for 6 month deals. Couldn't hurt to try.

TV - your already on the right track. I'm not sold on Apple TV, and Google TV remains to be seen. I like the blu ray option as apps can be added should something new come out, but you get the bonus of a DVD/Blu ray player. I myself have not yet upgraded my DVD player, so its a win/win all the way around.

Local news - Either get a digital converter and/or antenna to pick up local free broadcast channels. Not a lot of selection, but should be able to get multiple local options for news. Not an always on CNN type option, but the net can fill in for your news hit whenever you get the urge. Also, Blu ray players have apps for various content, so news is likely one of them, but I don't know if you can select a local option, or be saddled with national coverage.
------------
55 - Comcast internet
3 - Magic jack for phone
15 (ish)- Netflix
10 - Hulu plus
-----------
83/month -
220 - 83 = 137/month saved
-----------------------------------
You have to factor in hardware costs (blu ray/apple tv/Ooma hub/antenna), but even if you spent 500.00, at 137/month, you'd break even between months 3-4, plus at that point you'd also have all the hardware. My .02

Last edited:
I have basic cable (HD) but watch all the episodes I want via hulu anyways.

I have a setup with
HDTV
Roku HD allowing me to playback the following via HDMI
- Netflix
- Hulu Plus
- Flickr/Picasa/Smugmug
- Pandora
PS3
- Blu Ray
- Home videos/Music/Photos
- Hulu/YouTube/ESPN3/... via a PlayOn server on my PC.

I don't want to pay money for Hulu plus yet as it doesn't cover Scifi while PlayOn (A server that runs on your pc) allows me to stream everything I need and can played back from the PS3, Any google Tv (I think) and roku (if you have PlayOn premium). I am not too fond of PlayOn as it requires my PC to be on, which is kinda inelegant.

PlayOn was pretty useful for during the soccer world cup where I watched most of the matches streamed from ESPN3 on my TV. Pretty cool! It can now be had for a one time permanent license of 19$ or 59$ for PlayOn premium (I have the basic PlayOn license and am debating whether it is worth ponying up for Premium)

The Roku box can be had for around 59$. Is great for streaming and you can have one per TV since they are fairly inexpensive. I prefer the Netflix streaming experience over this rather than the PS3. It just got Hulu Plus and they are offering a 7$/month subscription.

PlayOn: 20$ or 60$ one time fee (they are pretty good with updates)

I tried Playon, and though I liked the idea, it didn't work for me. The issue I had was it has to be run through your computer, and for whatever reason, it was terribly slow when I tried to stream Hulu. My computer more then meets all the system requirements, but something was slowing down the video to the point it was unwatchable. I've used an Xbox to stream Netflix in HD, which dosen't require the computer to process the signal, and it works great so I know it has something to do with the Playon software or my computer. If Ruku could support Playon premium without the use of a PC, then maybe I'd look at it again, but if it still needs a PC, then no go.

I like the Ruku idea for spare TV's, like our guest bedroom, that don't really need a Blu ray. I guess I'll look into Ruku and verify it's able to stream HD. I know Samsung will be around to support their products, so I have no fear about purchasing them. How is Ruku fairing with all the relatively new competition from streaming TV's, DVD players, Apple TV, Google TV I wonder?

IMO there is a big opportunity here for someone to start a business which goes into someones house and sets this all up for a fee.

I bought a Google TV and I am PISSED that it doesn't get HULU. I am now watching Miami Vice on the laptop, on season 2. Would love to watch it on one of the big tv's but I am not interested in investing any time into figuring out how to hook it all up. If it's not plug and play I'm not using it. However I would pay someone to come and hook it all up and make it work easily.

I'm thinking about bitching to google about HULU at this point. Might even return the TV and get a Samsung as that is suppose to have HULU already on it.

IMO there is a big opportunity here for someone to start a business which goes into someones house and sets this all up for a fee.

I bought a Google TV and I am PISSED that it doesn't get HULU. I am now watching Miami Vice on the laptop, on season 2. Would love to watch it on one of the big tv's but I am not interested in investing any time into figuring out how to hook it all up. If it's not plug and play I'm not using it. However I would pay someone to come and hook it all up and make it work easily.

I'm thinking about bitching to google about HULU at this point. Might even return the TV and get a Samsung as that is suppose to have HULU already on it.

I got my cable bill today and just paid it. $224.78 per month per Comcast. That's crazy. I watch about four or five channels. Also this evening, I purchased a Roku XD/S player for $100 (1" x 5") and can set it up in five minutes. That will give me access to Hulu and Netflix and Hulu is FREE. I'm going to purchase an in-door antenna for my television so I have access to local and national news. Anyone have indoor antenna suggestions?

I'll keep Comcast internet service because it's high speed.

Anyone have suggestions regarding phone service. I have a land line with Comcast and a prepaid service with AT&T. I keep a $100 balance with AT&T so my minutes never expire.

Steve, if you call me tomorrow, I have a 9:00 a.m. doctors appointment, so call me before I have to leave. I know...you usually call me around five or six in the morning my time.:tongue:

Sorry for the long post.

[QUOwE=Juice;1373310]I just don't get you guys looking for "phone service". I haven't had a land line in my house for yearrrssss....[/QUOTE]

I use an AT&Tplan that requires a $100 dollar minimum balance so my minuties don't expire for my cell phone and then I pay per minuite. My minutes don't expire because I maintain a $100 balance.

I pay $29 per month for my Comcast service which is unlimited.

Do you have a lower "non land line service service" than $29 per month?

Bottom line, is that I spend $29 for my land line, nothing for my cell phone if I don't use it

Is there a better deal than that? What are you spending per month for your phone service. My cost is $29 per month...

I'm going to purchase an in-door antenna for my television so I have access to local and national news. Anyone have indoor antenna suggestions..........

I'll keep Comcast internet service because it's high speed..........

Doug, in most cases, the basic TV channels will still be available through the cable line. In other words, if you pay comcast for your internet conection, you may not need an antenna b/c abc, nbc, fox, cbs, pbs will still be coming unfiltered into your house through the cable line.

we're intending to do pretty much the same thing over the holidays / in to the new year, doug.

we have a new neighbor who took the digital antennae / internet approach using a nice samsung unit to make a very impressive and inexpensive setup for his family. no reason we can't do the same thing.

steve, i think you're dead-on right: that seems like a pretty easy pitch to make to many residents today (depending on signal strength in their area, internet access, etc). a canvasser representing a quality business would have my attention in a heartbeat.

we're intending to do pretty much the same thing over the holidays / in to the new year, doug.

we have a new neighbor who took the digital antennae / internet approach using a nice samsung unit to make a very impressive and inexpensive setup for his family. no reason we can't do the same thing.

steve, i think you're dead-on right: that seems like a pretty easy pitch to make to many residents today (depending on signal strength in their area, internet access, etc). a canvasser representing a quality business would have my attention in a heartbeat.

Want to practice installation Hal? I should have my unit in a few days. I purchased it from their web site. They say installation is less than five minutes. I'll let you know.

I purchased a Roku XD/S player for $100 (1" x 5") and can set it up in five minutes. That will give me access to Hulu and Netflix and Hulu is FREE.

Are you sure Hulu is free? The "Hulu plus" app is the only one on the Rokus and it specifically says plus for a reason. It only allows access if you are a Hulu plus subscriber.

Are you sure Hulu is free? The "Hulu plus" app is the only one on the Rokus and it specifically says plus for a reason. It only allows access if you are a Hulu plus subscriber.

Don't know for sure. I just assumed I would get Hulu Plus. It's only $7.00 a month and if you purchase the Rokus you get one month free. Wish me luck...

Don't know for sure. I just assumed I would get Hulu Plus. It's only $7.00 a month and if you purchase the Rokus you get one month free. Wish me luck...
doug,

if you are a netflix customer and buy a netflix-enabled tv, you don't need to buy roku... you're already good to go...indoor antennae... what's old is new again.

doug,

if you are a netflix customer and buy a netflix-enabled tv, you don't need to buy roku... you're already good to go...indoor antennae... what's old is new again.

I don't know if my TV is NetFlix enabled or not. How do you find out? I have a 40" Samsung flat screen that's about two years old. NetFlix send me a CD to download so I can watch movies on my TV.

Try Boxee

Has anyone here tried Boxee? Its a free app you download on your computer. You are able to stream almost all internet media from it, i.e. Hulu, netflix and many more internet media sites. This one is good for cartoons and anime also. The only thing I don't like about it, is you have to hook your computer to your tv, to watch it on the big screen. But on the other hand since you have a pc connected to your tv, you can surf "real" internet on your tv.

One plus that I do like about it, is theres an app you download to your iphone or ipod touch and you can use that as a remote control to navigate boxee, so no need for a mouse and keyboard.

I don't know if my TV is NetFlix enabled or not. How do you find out? I have a 40" Samsung flat screen that's about two years old. NetFlix send me a CD to download so I can watch movies on my TV.
interesting that they sent you a cd, doug - does it have any details about the type of device to load it on? (we received a netflix-wii cd in the last year that enables us to use our wii as a roku/netflix streaming device.) does your tv have a cd/dvd slot for this type of media? (i suppose you could google your samsung device # and see if it's netflix enabled... 2 years seems doubtful to me, but ya never know.)

(sorry i can't be of more help)

Back