• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are my synchros going bad?

This issue just recently happened for me. The transmission fluid was last changed 25k miles ago. Let's say I'm at 40mph in second gear (4000rpm) trying to shift into third gear (3000rpm).

-If I put the gear selector into third really quick, without waiting for the rpms to naturally drop, it takes a lot of effort. It used to take none. I would then let the clutch out after the rpm drops to 3000rpm.

-If I wait until the rpm drops to 3000 before putting the gear selector into third, it's super smooth with no effort (like it used to be). The rpm's then drop a little below 3000rpm and I have to blip the throttle to match before letting out the clutch.

Q1: In situation one, am I driving my car correctly?

Q2: Are my synchros going bad, or is it something cheaper and easier, like my slave cylinder? I have no grinding on my gears, there's just more resistance moving the gear selector.

With the car still, depress the clutch and confirm it goes into 1st effortlessly.

Clutch hydraulics? I'll have to see if its in the prev owner's records when I get home, but never in the last 30k miles that I've owned it.

Yes, it goes into 1st effortlessly. And second pretty effortlessly too. Third and fifth are the tough ones. They didn't used to be.

I takes me a little effort to put the car into first, especially if I'm moving a little (10-20 mph), second and up shift fine. No grinding, just effort, my transmission only has 59k and I flushed and did the gm synchromesh cocktail less than 5k miles ago. Any ideas?

I takes me a little effort to put the car into first, especially if I'm moving a little (10-20 mph), second and up shift fine. No grinding, just effort, my transmission only has 59k and I flushed and did the gm synchromesh cocktail less than 5k miles ago. Any ideas?

Is this when cold? In the winter, my NSX is always tough going into first while rolling until the trans heats up. Once warm, it is like butter. I think it is normal behavior.

It's a little more clunky when cold but even after heat soaking completely it does as stated above.

Back