• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Arrgh! Parallel parking woe

I was in San Francisco this weekend, and had parallel parked on the street. There were no parking lots available, and it looked like I had ample space in front as well as in back of my car.
Well, I just noticed that I have two vertical "creases" where I believe the rear license plate of the car in front had imprinted itself to the front bumper of my car :(
I wiped off the crud that was around the dents, but I can see that the marks are deep enough to notice from any angle. I bet it was the huge SUV parked in front. I really believe that it had enough space to get out, but sometimes, people don't care. They'll just keep backing up until they feel the bump. Perhaps the visibility is not that great also, since the car is so tall, and my NSX is so low.
I had my front repainted about a year or two ago, and now it looks like I may have to do it again, as well as some bumper work.
Well, I just needed to vent, as well as to let you all know to be aware of the risks you take when parallel parking.

Take Care,
J.

In London its parallel parking everywhere. I spend hours looking for a space that looks safe to park. Those big 4x4 are no good, or those estates, especially with big tow hook on them. I don't like Saabs either, I think you have to have the gear in reverse or something when you start yeah?!

I haven't tried it yet, but my impression is that my NSX will not be the easiest car in the world to parallel park. I think I will do my best to avoid any situation where I have to.

That's a huge part of why I always valet. I know the "NEVER use a valet" threads always seem unanimous, but I'd much rather negotiate a prime spot with a valet (like slip them a 10 or 20 to park it myself up front with the other exotics), then risk this BS on the street.

Of course then there are those who will say you should just never park the car at all or, better yet, not own it in a big city! LOL... In my experience, with a sports car, paying for parking will be better for your peace of mind 99% of the time.

If I had an NSX, I would not be parking it in the city. ;) A busy urban metropolis like San Francisco where door dings and dents are inevitable...

spookyp said:
I'd much rather negotiate a prime spot with a valet (like slip them a 10 or 20 to park it myself up front with the other exotics), then risk this BS on the street.

I always get visions of "Ferris Buler's Day Off" when I hand my keys over to a valet. :eek:

Dan H said:
If I had an NSX, I would not be parking it in the city. ;) A busy urban metropolis like San Francisco where door dings and dents are inevitable...

So if you had an NSX in the city you'd just sit in it forever? I don't get it, at some point you have to park it.

Dan H said:
A busy urban metropolis like San Francisco where door dings and dents are inevitable...
In my busy urban metropolis, we have something called "parking garages" where you can park it yourself, and can usually find a space where you can avoid door dings and dents. I haven't gotten any in the 30 years I've lived here...

When I know that I will be parking the car somewhere and

leaving it, I do not use the NSX and instead use my Landcruiser. In eleven years of driving the Landcruiser I have not ever touched another car with it. Even if one drives a SUV as a daily driver, it is very possible to be aware of and be courteous to other drivers.
Incidentally, I have gone all over the country in my trusty old Toyota and it has well over a hundred thousand miles and it works today the way it did when I bought it new in 1992.
;)

There are dangers everywhere I suppose. Even in a parking lot where you pay, you could get a ding from the car door next to you, or someone behind you.

There are distinct lack houses with garages in London. (right in the centre). And if I was to buy one, the one on the market at the moment cost 6 times the price of my car. (That is just for a single garage, no house). So I have to park on the street. There are lot more expensive cars that are parked on the street anyway, I don't think I'm crazy leaving it there. Of course if I could avoid it, I would. Put a car cover I suppose.

NSX feels quite long, so its kind of hard to parallel park, but the steering out of the space seems to be not so difficult. (Mine has no powersteering)

CRX B16B VTEC said:
NSX feels quite long, so its kind of hard to parallel park
That depends on what you're comparing it with. My NSX is almost exactly the same length as my Integra.

As I mentioned, there were no parking lots available nearby where we were located. The closest one I know of was about 8 blocks away. In addition, valet was not available. This was in the middle of the day. No choices except to parallel park.
I've parked in SF with my car for many years, and never had an incident. I guess my luck ran out.
Unfortunately, I couldn't drive my other cars. I left one at my parent's home, and I couldn't drive my company car. I didn't think to be concerned about the NSX in SF. I guess now I'll give it a second thought before driving it to the city.

ChopsJazz said:
So if you had an NSX in the city you'd just sit in it forever? I don't get it, at some point you have to park it.

I was not overly serious. Notice the wink. ;)

What I meant was I wouldn't be parking it in crowded parking lots basically. Or at least if I were to park, I'd leave a considerable distance. Sorry for not mentioning it though. Anyways, all the daily driven cars in my family and including mines have parking lot dings. It doesn't really matter which car really. Eventually, if you often park it in normal places, dings will happen.

I'll just be more careful about where I park the NSX when I get one. :) And I'm assuming most NSX owners are cautious where they park too.

Heck my driveway is a menace

I have to be a perfect driver just to get in & out of my own driveway--one of those historic areas with very narrow entrance and high curb going in toward the sidewalk. If I don't make a wide perfect turn---it's ouch to the front spoiler lip or ouch to the one wing or the other...I am my own worst enemy:rolleyes:

Back