• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Article on why manual shifting transmissions are being phased out

Still for being close to extinct it doesn't add up when every manufacture has at least two vehicles that have manual options. I'm not saying they are as plentiful as they always have been, but extinct is definitely an extreme word to use.

I believe I said manuals were not extinct, but on the endangered list.

I only commented on this because of the broad statements you had made that weren't quite right.

Overall, manuals, once the main transmission, still offered by most manufacturers, and more common in Europe than America, still represent less than 10 % of the take up rate for many well publicized reasons.
By all industry data that trend is expected to continue.

Please keep in mind, I'm not the author of this trend, only the reporter of facts, as unpopular they may be amongst manual aficionados.
It's the car buying public who are determining the fate of the manual.

well apparently new Cayman GT4 is manual only and it will sell very well judging by reactions

And if the majority of the car buying public favored $85K manual, mid-engine cars, then we wouldn't have any arguments about DCT anymore really.

However, the public wants cheap, safe, and easy to drive cars.

Back