• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

At the track, could really use help

Thanks for that input. I am not getting an 02 CEL. So I am not sure if Acura will warranty it. Someone please tell me is this the igniter?

igniter.jpg

Dave,
If you think the igniter cause the problem, I can loan you one from my 2004, all you need just pay for the shipping.

Did Mitch use CTSC compatible plugs and had them gapped properly for the CTSC, or did he use NSX plugs gapped for an NSX?

Your codes may be independent of the sputtering.

He said he replace them with the exact ones he took out, which came with the CTSC kit. I can pull one and double check in case. What is it supposed to be?

Where is the igniter and what does it look like?

NSXTIMEE, thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it.

NSX has a 2 stage fuel pump. Low RPM/idle problems below 4K and if all is well above 4K, as you mentioned, signal to me a fuel pump issue. You can strap out the fuel pump connector in the engine bay above the fuel filter to run at stage 2 all the time to see if that's your problem.

How do you force the fuel pump to operate in stage 2 all the time? Also, does this have any negative effect or damage anything?

I'm pointing at the igniter in this pic.

Ha, thanks Joe. I will look at it. I wonder if there is a way to test this thing with a meter to see if its good or not?

How do you force the fuel pump to operate in stage 2 all the time? Also, does this have any negative effect or damage anything?

Unplug the cable of the fuel pump resistor and short it securely. To avoid running rich a fuel gauge should confirm the fuel pressure. Mine didn't change with an AEM FPR installed and having a bad fuel pump. Don't know what happens if you have a good pump and OEM FPR. Maybe running rich.

Ha, thanks Joe. I will look at it. I wonder if there is a way to test this thing with a meter to see if its good or not?

Call Ct Engineering and ask. If and when you do call, get a price on a replacement and PM the info to me.
Maybe it's a off the shelf part.

Call Ct Engineering and ask. If and when you do call, get a price on a replacement and PM the info to me.
Maybe it's a off the shelf part.

Joe, is this not a factory part? This is a Comptech piece?

Joe, is this not a factory part? This is a Comptech piece?

Duh! I must be getting goofy. It's a Acura part.

The wires can get a little stretched there so make sure the plugs are making a good connection and none of the pins have pulled out.

Last edited:
Time to pull the SC off and turbo it to 600BHP.

Also, by your next track event in a month I certainly hope you are referring to Mosport.

Guys,

Just so we are clear. The Fuel Pump Resistor is a paperweight with a CT Engineering blower setup. The Fuel Pump power feed comes from the CT electronics, and the fuel pump resistor is not used;).

Regards,
LarryB

Guys,

Just so we are clear. The Fuel Pump Resistor is a paperweight with a CT Engineering blower setup. The Fuel Pump power feed comes from the CT electronics, and the fuel pump resistor is not used;).

Regards,
LarryB

Hey Larry. I know this, that is why I ignored that particular recommendation. Do you think I should try new 02 sensors? One of the members here is loaning me an igniter to try. Its still doing it, sometimes it is very quick "pop", feels exactly like ignition... like a bad coil in a single coil car... then other times it is a series.... causing the engine to sputter.

I pulled the fuse per your recommendation, no CELs have returned yet. I was about to put it back on the track then it rained and I drove home.

I don't think you ever responded... did you ever reseat the connectors on the ignition unit, and/or check the wires for stretching or having gotten crushed between neighboring structures?

The semi-randomness of it really sounds like a bad connection. The fact that it happens at a certain rev range might just be because the shake is just right at a certain rev.

That'd be occam's razor for me, anyway.

Pardon the nag if you've already gone through this.

I don't think you ever responded... did you ever reseat the connectors on the ignition unit, and/or check the wires for stretching or having gotten crushed between neighboring structures?

The semi-randomness of it really sounds like a bad connection. The fact that it happens at a certain rev range might just be because the shake is just right at a certain rev.

That'd be occam's razor for me, anyway.

Pardon the nag if you've already gone through this.

You mean the connectors on the igniter? Yes, I checked both, they looked OK. I didn't follow the harness all the way to see where it goes. Funny thing, it misfired around the EXACT same turn on the track. Everytime I went through turn 2 at Monticello, it was there. It just isn't there once you are past 4K. Engine runs fine there. Its when there is load, throttle, between 3-4K. Sudden hiccup like fuel was just cut for a second. Somtimes several hiccups in a row. What else can cause this on all 6 cylinders?

Back