• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Attention Watch Experts....

50mm - EWWW!! I'm sorry but that just looks silly to me. My panny is 44 mm and the IWC Big Pilot is 46mm. I would say anything beyond 45 mm looks a bit tacky. It might work if you are built like a linebacker but it isn't for me.

Newby Watch ?
I'm interested in purchasing a new Rolex
Submariner at Davidson and Licht Jewelers. I will pay cash, never done this before what percentage
Discount would be fair to me?? Thanks in advance

^ I think it depends on your relationship with the AD. I have been quoted 4% off MSRP, but going to try some other AD's and use a reference if that will help. Depending on what you want, I have heard some AD's have given 15-20% off of MSRP depending on the relationship. There are other AD's that will only sell you at sticker!

I got 9% off of my Submariner, 13% off my 2nd Breitling, and approximately 20% off of my first Breitling. I found a wide range of where people were willing to go on discounts so do shop around.

My personal favorite "vintage" watch. I had it back in grade school. :biggrin:
casio%5Cca53w1.jpg

Last edited:
^ I think it depends on your relationship with the AD. I have been quoted 4% off MSRP, but going to try some other AD's and use a reference if that will help. Depending on what you want, I have heard some AD's have given 15-20% off of MSRP depending on the relationship. There are other AD's that will only sell you at sticker!

i guess i don't seem to understand! i dont have any relationship with an AD. what do u mean? im a nice guy i think and i am able to purchase just looking for a really fair price, do i have to have a relationship with the AD to get a fair price? thanks but id rather just buy a watch

i guess i don't seem to understand! i dont have any relationship with an AD. what do u mean? im a nice guy i think and i am able to purchase just looking for a really fair price, do i have to have a relationship with the AD to get a fair price? thanks but id rather just buy a watch

what he means is if you are a repeat cutomer the owner may throw you a bone on watch # 2 ,or if you refer some folks who buy....ect

Let me be more clear. An Authorized Dealer (AD) can give a discount to a potential customer if he wishes or not. The AD has a certain level of discretion as to how much he can give. You can walk into a Rolex dealer and he can give you one price, but give someone else a different price. For example, I was given 4%, whereas someone else received 9%. If you have a relationship with that AD, the amount of discount may come into play. For example, a recently read that an individual received 20% off a limited edition Omega. The seller and buyer had a good relationship. The buyer purchased multiple watches from the AD, and hence the AD decided to give the buyer a significant discount.

50mm - EWWW!! I'm sorry but that just looks silly to me. My panny is 44 mm and the IWC Big Pilot is 46mm. I would say anything beyond 45 mm looks a bit tacky. It might work if you are built like a linebacker but it isn't for me.

I have a 8 inch wrist.

My 49mm breitling looks small on me.

Regarding AD's... they are like car salesmen. The price you pay for a car, watch or jewelry is somewhat nebulous and open for negotiation and discussion. The factors I've found which affect the discount or what you pay for a watch include:

1) Demand, higher demand products usually get less discounts
2) How desparately they are trying to unload that watch or how badly they need the income
3) The relationship you have with the AD or how well you can sweet talk them
4) If they feel like you will be or are a repeat customer, or will return to them for service or other purchases
5) What the manufacturer limits. Some manufacturers limit the discount that ADs can take. This is so that watches don't get devalued. Many manufacturers would rather trash a batch of watches that don't sell than put them at 50% off.

I just bought this Panerai FER00018 brand new for 70% off retail with all of the paperwork and boxes. There was a local shop going out of business and I couldn't pass up on the deal. :biggrin:

FER00018_FLA.jpg

HOLY SHIT!!! That's an incredible deal! I hope U realize that you HAVE to buy a Ferrari now! LOL

What are your thoughts on Seiko watches? I'm asking because a friend works for the company and can get me 80% off of the retail price. I saw some watches that are worth more than $10k and thought to myself: "Should I spend around $2k on the Seiko watch? Or for the same price, buy a $2k Tag? Hmmm..."

Any good advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

I'll chime in with my fairly useless opinion and thoughts. Seiko is actually quite a marvel of a watch company and they actually make some pretty amazing watches. On one hand they make very accurate watches that they sell for practically pennies. That level of time keeping accuracy for that cheap is quite a feat in its own right. And they actually do make some very nice expensive watches.

The problem with Seiko is that it is handicapped by its own mass appeal success. You could have a $10,000 Seiko, but yet when the average person (who usually knows very little about watches) saw it side by side with a Rolex, they would "First" ask if that Rolex is real :tongue:, THEN they would immediately assume the Rolex was the more expensive watch. Way more expensive. In fact they would assume the Fossil or Citizen they have on their wrist is worth more than your Seiko. If that part of the equation doesn't bother you, then the Seiko is probably very technologically and mechanically sound. One thing to note, the more mass produced a watch is and the more distribution channels there are, the more over priced the list or MSRP pricing is. In other words, a Seiko might MSRP/List price a watch at $10,000 because it is a $1,500 watch, but that it leaves open doors to pay retails, have huge inventory sales, deals etc. But a more exclusive watch like an A Lange Sohne which retails at $10,000 would probably never see more than a 5% discount, if that. The List price is often the Sell price because they don’t make up the difference in volume.

It's like that very expensive Volkswagon Phaeton. It was a good car, expensive, but had a VW badge. Nobody could justify spending 90K on a VW, when no matter how good of a car it was, it would get lumped in with Jettas and Bugs. And if you notice, time has not been good to the resale value of that car.

I just returned from Japan and this was a very "hot" watch there. I believe Seiko has the nicer version though.

390730867_o.jpg

Went to a Rolex AD today and checked out the explorer (39mm), older version (36mm) and also the newest sub with the ceramic bezel. I really liked the explorer the best and just gave a local an offer who is selling one on the Rolex boards. The versatility of the Explorer makes it idea for dress and casual more then a sub IMO. I also really like the Omega Planet Ocean, which I think I will get down the road. I didn't want to have a sub and a PO.

Oh, this AD offered me any watch at full retail. lol

" to each his everest":confused: weak......but nice watch!

Nice, can't go wrong with that. Although you couldn't have gone wrong with the Omega or Sub either. It will be a great staple watch that you'll be able to wear forever. Of course you'll need to post pics and wrist shots once you get it.

Last edited:
Back