• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Audi R8

According the the head guys at VAG, a different, yet more powerful engine is in the future plan of the R8.

Personally, I like the look of the R8. Again, that is a personal thing :rolleyes:

An all-aluminium, mid-engine car that is AWD and can go from 0-60 in 4.6 ticks is pretty special to me...:tongue: BTW, its production number would be less than 1/10 of the Porsche 911 line-up...that's quite exclusive in my book for the car in the price range...

The R8 has a full front boot and can store 2 sets of golf clubs behind the seats, I think that has more cargo room than the NSX or 911...:wink:

Sorry, but those are just my opinon :biggrin: I love my NSX but IF I have to replace it with another car, the R8 would be it...I just want Honda to put together something in similar package... oh well...

Boy did Audi miss the boat with the engine. Why not the Gallardo V-10 detuned just a bit to 475HP? Or not even. Just lay the 500HP out there.

Mid-high 4s 0-60 just doesn't cut it anymore. Not when the Z06, 997 TT, Viper and even the E60 M5-M6 are all at 3.7-4.2 secs.

The RS4 is a different kind of car. It can totally get away with mid-high 4s. But the R8 is going to be purchased by people who don't want to get smoked by a Vette.

I just don't get why manufacturers err on the side of too little power too often. I understand balance, etc. but who has ever, ever complained about a little too much power? Unless the car simply is unable to handle it (350 Chevy Monza) which doesn't seem like a problem here. Many, many cars in this class now have 500HP or close to it and it doesn't seem like a huge feat to build a car like the R8 to deal with that kind of power. :confused:

Boy did Audi miss the boat with the engine. Why not the Gallardo V-10 detuned just a bit to 475HP? Or not even. Just lay the 500HP out there.

Mid-high 4s 0-60 just doesn't cut it anymore. Not when the Z06, 997 TT, Viper and even the E60 M5-M6 are all at 3.7-4.2 secs.

The RS4 is a different kind of car. It can totally get away with mid-high 4s. But the R8 is going to be purchased by people who don't want to get smoked by a Vette.

I just don't get why manufacturers err on the side of too little power too often. I understand balance, etc. but who has ever, ever complained about a little too much power? Unless the car simply is unable to handle it (350 Chevy Monza) which doesn't seem like a problem here. Many, many cars in this class now have 500HP or close to it and it doesn't seem like a huge feat to build a car like the R8 to deal with that kind of power. :confused:

I think in this case the "err" was so not to cut into Gallardo sales. I guess it will become the next low cost mid engine two seat exotic. Possibly faster than it's paper stats. Plus we're talking about Audi and they hit the same wall that Honda does ( albiet at a higher level ) that people will only pay so much for their name brand. I hope it will be at the NAIAS if so I'll let you guys know how it looks in real life. So far I'm not impressed by the pic's I've seen.

too bad the designer "had" to incorporate that huge-@ss Audi "signature" grille. it's ugly on the sedans and downright criminal on the R8. Not to mention totally nonfunctional. Look closely at the photos on Audi's website- the front side vents are functional but the center grille is not.

I think in this case the "err" was so not to cut into Gallardo sales. I guess it will become the next low cost mid engine two seat exotic. Possibly faster than it's paper stats. Plus we're talking about Audi and they hit the same wall that Honda does ( albiet at a higher level ) that people will only pay so much for their name brand. I hope it will be at the NAIAS if so I'll let you guys know how it looks in real life. So far I'm not impressed by the pic's I've seen.

Hmm...I don't think many folks who are considering a Gallardo would also realistically consider the R8. What makes you think the R8 would draw in potential Lambo buyers and vice versa?

I don't think someone considering a Gallardo would even care that the R8 has the same engine. Nor would they even be aware. Not everyone is aware that Audi and Lambo are the same. Nor do they care. The Lambo name has a very rich heritage now. The Audi relationship is a fairly recent one. Audi screams Germany and Lambo screams Italy...not the first association that comes to mind.

People are pretty ignorant. I meet people all the time that still have no idea Honda makes Acura. :rolleyes:

I'd think that Gallardo and R8 are definately going to be considered by the same people. People typically who buy Gallardos have chosen to look away from the cliche-exotic ALA F430. Lambo owners are said to like things that are a little different. If there is another option with only 50 less HP and sharing a huge majority of parts... I'd have to think most people would atleast LOOK at the R8.

I think this car is a stunning car, and will only look better in person.

Hmm...I don't think many folks who are considering a Gallardo would also realistically consider the R8. What makes you think the R8 would draw in potential Lambo buyers and vice versa?

I don't think someone considering a Gallardo would even care that the R8 has the same engine. Nor would they even be aware. Not everyone is aware that Audi and Lambo are the same. Nor do they care. The Lambo name has a very rich heritage now. The Audi relationship is a fairly recent one. Audi screams Germany and Lambo screams Italy...not the first association that comes to mind.

People are pretty ignorant. I meet people all the time that still have no idea Honda makes Acura. :rolleyes:

I agree people are pretty ignorant when it comes to these things ,but the upcoming V10 http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/11888/2008-audi-r8.html will bring it up to the 500hp your talking about. I think "smart" enthusiasts would pick the R8 over the Lambo. I honestly don't know the Lambo demographics very well ,but the few owners I've met tell me ( w/o me asking ) that the cars sell below sticker and that the resale is terrible. Would they jump ship...I don't know ,but if you tell someone you find the resale terrible means you are cost conscious. I can't argue this with you because I honestly don't know if it would affect it ( gallardo ) sales or not.

I agree people are pretty ignorant when it comes to these things ,but the upcoming V10 http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/11888/2008-audi-r8.html will bring it up to the 500hp your talking about. I think "smart" enthusiasts would pick the R8 over the Lambo. I honestly don't know the Lambo demographics very well ,but the few owners I've met tell me ( w/o me asking ) that the cars sell below sticker and that the resale is terrible. Would they jump ship...I don't know ,but if you tell someone you find the resale terrible means you are cost conscious. I can't argue this with you because I honestly don't know if it would affect it ( gallardo ) sales or not.

Some pretty good points made here and above...I agree the smart choice is the R8 but I've always seen Lambo owners as the impractical, impetuous type that gets off on the extreme looks. Definitely different that the chauvinistic, stuck-up pretentious Ferrari types though. Maybe that's changing. The Gallardo changed a lot of things I suppose...the Murcielago continues to carry on that tradition I guess.

I know a lot of NSX owners who've gotten into the Gallardo so maybe it's becoming a feasible option. The Gallardo doesn't even have "Lambo doors"! Still, I just think the R8 is so much more conservative of a car than the Lambo, performance notwithstanding. Obviously a ZO6 can hang with the Gallardo performance-wise but it's still a conservative car.

Even if the R8 swayed Gallardo buyers Audi would still be making a profit, albeit a lesser one. To me it's not a justifiable reason for skimping on the R8. Make every car the best it can be.

And kudos to Audi for considering 500HP. If that's true it will be a great car, no doubt.

I put a deposit to get my name on a list for an R8,(no guarantees on a car) I wanted to pick it up in Europe as i did with a Porsche years ago..here is what I got back from the dealer...sounds like the NSX when it came out!

"At the moment the R8 is not part of the European Delivery Program -- they currently exclude the RS4 as well. If that changes, I will be happy to assist you in the necessary arrangements.

With regards to the cost of the car, I have not received a firm number from Audi as yet. At this time, all participating R8 dealers will receive 2 cars per year for a 7 year run -- 14 total cars. Because of the exclusive nature of the car and the extremely limited production, I anticipate there will be a significant premium on the vehicles. While I can not give an absolute, I expect the number to be around $165K for a fully loaded car plus the standard tax, title, and registration fees."

Obviously a ZO6 can hang with the Gallardo performance-wise but it's still a conservative car.

I would put money on the Z06 at the track:wink:

Funny everyone seems to think that the ASC will be heavy ,but the Gallardo is a V10 with AWD and it comes in at 3154. Why wouldn't people think Honda could do that or less:confused:

Here's an C&D article on the R8. I honestly still don't care for it ,but hey enjoy:biggrin:

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/12346/first-drive-2008-audi-r8.html

I put a deposit to get my name on a list for an R8,(no guarantees on a car) I wanted to pick it up in Europe as i did with a Porsche years ago..here is what I got back from the dealer...sounds like the NSX when it came out!

"At the moment the R8 is not part of the European Delivery Program -- they currently exclude the RS4 as well. If that changes, I will be happy to assist you in the necessary arrangements.

With regards to the cost of the car, I have not received a firm number from Audi as yet. At this time, all participating R8 dealers will receive 2 cars per year for a 7 year run -- 14 total cars. Because of the exclusive nature of the car and the extremely limited production, I anticipate there will be a significant premium on the vehicles. While I can not give an absolute, I expect the number to be around $165K for a fully loaded car plus the standard tax, title, and registration fees."

That is just hype, can't see the car being sold for $165K, no way. Just be patient, wait till the first year teething problems are out of the way and consider buying one in the 2nd year run, all the markups should be gone by then.

I would put money on the Z06 at the track:wink:

Funny everyone seems to think that the ASC will be heavy ,but the Gallardo is a V10 with AWD and it comes in at 3154. Why wouldn't people think Honda could do that or less:confused:

Here's an C&D article on the R8. I honestly still don't care for it ,but hey enjoy:biggrin:

http://www.caranddriver.com/previews/12346/first-drive-2008-audi-r8.html
Hmm..

You might want to double check the numbers for the Gallardo, it's closer to 3500lbs, maybe you got the Z06 and the Gallardo numbers mixed up :p

Hmm..

You might want to double check the numbers for the Gallardo, it's closer to 3500lbs, maybe you got the Z06 and the Gallardo numbers mixed up :p

Thanks for the catch I thought that was too light! I got that number from Edmunds.com. I was finally able to find it's actual weight on C&D and your right it tips the scales at 3560.

There's no way to predict dealer markup, but MSRP is going to be in the $110,000 range.

So that means $225,000 the first month, $175,000 for the next 2 months, then after demand has been met, and they've driven away the rest of the buyers who decided not to buy, they'll be marked down to $105,000 :D

Dealer mark-up should be illegal.

I dunno why dealers exist... why don't they just have an Audi (or whoever) store, where you go in and buy what you want, no negotiating.

There's no way to predict dealer markup, but MSRP is going to be in the $110,000 range.

So that means $225,000 the first month, $175,000 for the next 2 months, then after demand has been met, and they've driven away the rest of the buyers who decided not to buy, they'll be marked down to $105,000 :D

Dealer mark-up should be illegal.

I dunno why dealers exist... why don't they just have an Audi (or whoever) store, where you go in and buy what you want, no negotiating.

Dealers exist because people want to negotiate. A good deal is a state of mind and everyone feels the need to beat up the dealer and shop around to get the lowest price. I for one would be glad if the price was the price and you just had to pay it with no negotiations. Im negotiating with this cheap ass customer as im typing this!

Autoweek has a very nice article on the R8 - sounds very much like a review of the NSX-II that most of us have envisioned for years:

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070125/FREE/70124004/1009

Here are a couple of selected paragraphs - replace R8 with NSX and Audi with Honda and it sounds like a car that I would buy:
Simply, the Audi R8 is in a class by itself. Yeah, those are robust words—and to faithful followers of other marques, too often fighting words—but Audi isn’t spoiling for a fight. The R8 has no competition; there should be no cross-shopping, no head-to-head comparison that is either fair or appropriate. (Number weenies will say it’s all about who gets to 60 mph faster or which car is lighter or what the top speed might be; those numbers are tales of the tape. In a heavyweight title bout the numbers are facts, but rarely do they crown a champion.) This is about how the R8 behaves, how it makes you feel, how it will elevate you in standing with the rest of your car-crazed friends that is most important.

The R8 represents for Audi an opportunity to have a legit flagship, something it can hold up as an exemplar of its recent and past racing heritage, something that prompts buyers to think of Audi as a legitimate competitor to BMW and Mercedes-Benz, something those in the know have been saying for years. It does this superbly.

A true mid-ship sports car, the R8 has its 420-hp, 4.2-liter V8 mounted ahead of the rear wheels and behind the cockpit. This layout is beautiful and useful; weight is distributed with a 44-56-percent balance for better handling, and the engine is visible through a window in the cockpit. Or you can stand outside and peer in at this piece of automotive art. Even at night you can see the powerplant cradled in (optional) carbon-fiber sheathing. A pair of LED spotlights (optional, too) turn on with a click of the key fob and shine, like an art gallery’s floods, onto the engine. This is a clear ooh and aah moment designed to make any owner beam with pride.

Audi R8 and Lotus Esprit might both be owned by VW

I kept thinking my choice in 2008 would be between NSX, R8, or Lotus but now it looks like NSX is bowing out of mid-engine and R8 and Esprit might be sharing a engine.

VW Looks Set To Buy Lotus??? Posted 1/28/07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lotus is about to be sold to VW, if a story in Autocar proves true. A majority stake -- 51 per cent -- of Lotus' Malaysia parent company Proton is about to sold to VW, an announcement that's said to be set for confirmation on 8 February. Proton owns 80 per cent of Group Lotus, the umbrella company under which Lotus Cars and Lotus Engineering operate.
Other suitors have been mooted, not least General Motors -- a previous owner --
on these very pages last week when GM boss Rick Wagoner confirmed that his company was in acquisition talks with Proton.
We don't yet know what's going to happen to Lotus when (if?) the sale goes through -- but we're likely to find out soon after VW's hands take control of Proton's tiller.

Source?Pistonheads
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71563

Very very interesting, looks like VW is on the Roll if you asked. If VW were to add Lotus to the VW family (Audi,Bentley,Bugatti,Lamborghini,Porsche,Seat,Sko da) it can only be a good thing,sounds like a powerhouse team,who's next Jaguar?

Very very interesting, looks like VW is on the Roll if you asked. If VW were to add Lotus to the VW family (Audi,Bentley,Bugatti,Lamborghini,Porsche,Seat,Sko da) it can only be a good thing,sounds like a powerhouse team,who's next Jaguar?

Sir, you do realize Porsche is the one that owns VW shares, not the other way around, right?

I actually put a deposit on my R8 this week. After looking at in person at the Philly Auto Show, I'm convinced its the next best thing to the NSX.

I actually put a deposit on my R8 this week. After looking at in person at the Philly Auto Show, I'm convinced its the next best thing to the NSX.

I agree and I'm thinking about doing the same... what kind of deposits do they ask for up in Philly ? I'm about to find out here in SC...

They actually opened up a huge Audi dealership here in manhattan NYC and mayor Bloomberg drove the first R8 around town while the R10 was also being driven on city streets! Sounds sick. If u guys dont mind paying a huge premium......go ahead and be the first to get it! I think ill wait.

Well I guess you were right. What a fantastic car. Aluminum body. Nice big fat V8. Twin turbo. Mid engine. All wheel drive. Adjustable magnetic dampers. 180 mph. 0 to 60 in 4.6 sec. Not too heavy. Nice wheels. Big brakes. And best of all Dry Sump. Comes with available sequential transmission and paddle shift of regular 6 speed box. Comes with Sat nav and all mod cons and priced to sell at $90k - $110k. Although as others have said. I am sure there will be major gouging going on for the first ones. I also like the styling with the Ferrari type “greenhouse engine cover”. Maybe this is why Honda gave up on trying to develop a successor to the NSX. How do you compete with this thing at that price. I want one!

Regards,

Patrick

Well I guess you were right. What a fantastic car. Aluminum body. Nice big fat V8. Twin turbo. Mid engine. All wheel drive. Adjustable magnetic dampers. 180 mph. 0 to 60 in 4.6 sec. Not too heavy. Nice wheels. Big brakes. And best of all Dry Sump. Comes with available sequential transmission and paddle shift of regular 6 speed box. Comes with Sat nav and all mod cons and priced to sell at $90k - $110k. Although as others have said. I am sure there will be major gouging going on for the first ones. I also like the styling with the Ferrari type “greenhouse engine cover”. Maybe this is why Honda gave up on trying to develop a successor to the NSX. How do you compete with this thing at that price. I want one!

Regards,

Patrick

If $110 is the base price ( which is what people are guessing I think higher ) you know with options it will be over $120k plus dealer mark up first year will make it really pricey. Honda could compete easily ,but would people pay for it? probably not. Honda will stick with cars under $100k even with the NSX's rep they just don't have the status unfortunately:frown:

Back