• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Audi R8

Well I guess you were right. What a fantastic car. Aluminum body. Nice big fat V8. Twin turbo.

Patrick

Well you got everything right except the twin turbo part. However, that would be amazing!!.

I have been thinking about an R8 too. IMHO, its the perfect example of the what the next gen NSX should have been. I just am not sure I want to sign up for a deposit and get ready to bend over. After all Audi isn't known for its resale.

BTW, the latest winding road has a great article on the R8. They even compare it to a Z06.

http://www.windingroad.com/download#

The R8 looks like quite the car indeed, EVO seemed to like it too. They also mentioned in an interview that they were thinking of an upgraded RWD only version, sorta like an RS version or equivalent. Not sure on the reliability of that statement, however.

Well you got everything right except the twin turbo part. However, that would be amazing!!.

I have been thinking about an R8 too. IMHO, its the perfect example of the what the next gen NSX should have been. I just am not sure I want to sign up for a deposit and get ready to bend over. After all Audi isn't known for its resale.

BTW, the latest winding road has a great article on the R8. They even compare it to a Z06.

http://www.windingroad.com/download#

Sorry my bad. Thanks for the correction. I don’t know where I got that from. I must have dreamt it. I think the RS6 was bi turbo?
In some ways it’s even better that it has that kind of performance without forced induction. Being less complex can only make it more reliable as a used car. Are the cams chain driven? I also notice that the sequential comes with launch control.
Audi made the new NSX.

Regards,

Patrick

audi_r8_1.jpg

audi_tt_2007.jpg

Which one is the R8?:biggrin:

Bingo! A $120,000 car should not resemble its wayyy cheaper sibling. Oh yeah, there'll be those who can only afford the less expensive machine who will rejoice at the fact that their Lexus ES is almost indistinguishable from the top-of-the-heap LS460. But the bottom line is the ones who worked their butt off and purchased the flagship shouldn't be penalized.

audi_r8_1.jpg

audi_tt_2007.jpg

Thank you I knew it wasn't just me:biggrin: All these guys drooling over the R8 and whenever I looked at it it just looked like a bigger TT:confused: The just isn't exciting to me at all.

Bingo! A $120,000 car should not resemble its wayyy cheaper sibling. Oh yeah, there'll be those who can only afford the less expensive machine who will rejoice at the fact that their Lexus ES is almost indistinguishable from the top-of-the-heap LS460. But the bottom line is the ones who worked their butt off and purchased the flagship shouldn't be penalized.

I agree 100% but...

Porsche doesn't seem to have problems selling 911 TTs. Most people can't tell the difference between a $19K 97 Boxter and a $125K 997 TT...heck, I can't tell the difference coming straight on at 100 yards!

I guess Audi is going for the Porsche strategy of homologizing the look of all your cars to appeal to the masses. Let the lower-classes think they have a piece of the high-end.

I saw a R8 driving around the other night (in the rain!) and it looked bad ass. Interestingly it had European plates on. All I could think of was what are you Honda doing to us who want a next gen mid-engine NSX :mad:

Nik

I agree 100% but...

Porsche doesn't seem to have problems selling 911 TTs. Most people can't tell the difference between a $19K 97 Boxter and a $125K 997 TT...heck, I can't tell the difference coming straight on at 100 yards!

I guess Audi is going for the Porsche strategy of homologizing the look of all your cars to appeal to the masses. Let the lower-classes think they have a piece of the high-end.
So VW/Porsche/Audi group is pulling another VW/Porsche/Audi strategy on a car that is going to compete with VW/Porsche/Audi?:biggrin:

Wow, what a strategy they have...lol

Guess I thought of something different when I saw it.

post-2-1098437523_thumb.jpg

big_irobot.jpg

mhhhhh, I thought that was the 2020 TT concept... with after market lambo door kti.

To take it even further I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of TT buyers haven't the foggiest of Porsche's racing history and if shown a picture couldn't distinguish between a Ford GT40 and a 917. They simply have the money to blow on the Porsche badge, and in return, they get a 3500+ pound GT car that they can masquerade around in as serious "sportscar" people.

Thank you I knew it wasn't just me:biggrin: All these guys drooling over the R8 and whenever I looked at it it just looked like a bigger TT:confused: The just isn't exciting to me at all.

I would not worry too much about what it looks like from the front because you will only get a momentary view of the back as it blasts past you. :smile:

Regards,

Patrick

Seriously though, I suspect that if Honda had made this car instead of Audi and they called it the NSX 8. You guys would all be wetting your panties and screaming about how fantastic it is and how Honda rocks. I understand that everyone has a certain amount of brand loyalty. That’s just part of being a tribal animal. That’s why if the Red sox and the Yankees sold all their players to each other the fans would still all root for the home team. I like to keep my brand loyalty in check so it does not cloud my judgment too much. I just want to buy the best car I can in my budget.

Regards,

Patrick

Is it just me or do you guys think the R8 does not preform like a $120K on paper and that it is very heavy at 3500Lbs when you have a Aluminum/Mag Chassis? Hmm...does a AWD add that much weight?

Styling is nice if it were for $90K.

Is it just me or do you guys think the R8 does not preform like a $120K on paper and that it is very heavy at 3500Lbs when you have a Aluminum/Mag Chassis? Hmm...does a AWD add that much weight?

Styling is nice if it were for $90K.

Well it looks like it’s about 250 lb more than an NSX which is not too bad for a car with a 4.2 V8 and I think you are right that the awd adds a fair bit with all the extra difs and power train etc. As for the price, I think it’s very reasonable. I bet the NSX was close to that in real $ when it first came out and a BMW 7 series lists for more than $120k these days. Unfortunately they are only going to build 15 a day so I am afraid that the supply and demand will make the MSRP somewhat academic at least for the first year or so.

Regards,

Patrick

I think Honda could have built a car just like this, and have the RW bias SH-AWD. The V8 that is suppose to be build for 2009/2010 for use in the updated RL, as well as the Ridgeline. And if a 3200# car needs updates to compete, it would end up to about 3500#

Either way, styling is a little more Audi but I think thats why I like it.

Got tired of waiting for the new NSX so went to the dealer a year ago to reserve an R-8.
WORD OF WARNING !
Make sure you are dealing with a reputable dealer.

DFW Audi IS NOT !

They took my name a year ago to be put "on the list". Called a few months back to check the status. Was met with "who are you ?" My name was never entered, they are taking no deposits, and basically will auction the cars off when they arrive at a premium.
Ballargion, another dealer ,is taking $5k deposits in the order recieved and selling at MSRP. The wait now (after I assumed DFW had taken care of me ) is now 2 years.

Last edited:
Got tired of waiting for the new NSX so went to the dealer a year ago to reserve an R-8.
WORD OF WARNING !
Make sure you are dealing with a reputable dealer.

DFW Audi IS NOT !

They took my name a year ago to be put "on the list". Called a few months back to check the status. Was met with "who are you ?" My name was never entered, they are taking no deposits, and basically will auction the cars off when they arrive at a premium.
Ballargion, another dealer ,is taking $5k deposits in the order recieved and selling at MSRP. The wait now (after I assumed DFW had taken care of me ) is now 2 years.

Thats rough!

Seriously though, I suspect that if Honda had made this car instead of Audi and they called it the NSX 8. You guys would all be wetting your panties and screaming about how fantastic it is and how Honda rocks. I understand that everyone has a certain amount of brand loyalty. That’s just part of being a tribal animal. That’s why if the Red sox and the Yankees sold all their players to each other the fans would still all root for the home team. I like to keep my brand loyalty in check so it does not cloud my judgment too much. I just want to buy the best car I can in my budget.

Regards,

Patrick

If Honda made a car that looked like the R8 I'd ask "why the hell would they make a car that looks like a Audi TT:confused: "

I would not worry too much about what it looks like from the front because you will only get a momentary view of the back as it blasts past you. :smile:

Regards,

Patrick

I'll only believe that once I see some real test numbers until then That's just bull$#it...LOL

Available in MT, C&D, and RT :)

Available in MT, C&D, and RT :)

Wow over a hundred grand and it can't do 0-60 in better than 4.3:frown: 1/4 in 12.7 according to R&T not that great for the money. Don't think that will be just rocketing by me ,but hopefully it should make for good competition at the track. Maybe someone will be ballsy enough to bring one out

Seriously though, I suspect that if Honda had made this car instead of Audi and they called it the NSX 8. You guys would all be wetting your panties and screaming about how fantastic it is and how Honda rocks.

Patrick

I agree. The car is great. I don't really care about 1/4 mile times. I just want it to be a bit quicker than the NSX. More TQ and the V-8 is nice.

Yes, DFW Audi is a rip off. University Audi isn't much better.

No way!!! I don't think Honda will make some thing is R-8-gly. Sorry to disagree with you. I wonder if Audi put up the ASC, will people be going "wow" over it since it is going to be competing with F599 and Austin Martin? And wonder why Honda wouldn't enter that market segment?:biggrin:

Back