• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AUX Input for OEM Acura/Bose Radio

@ TURBO2GO and the rest of you guys, I am following this perfectly and it all makes sense to me. My only concerns at this point are the same questions TURBO2GO asked above: Is the volume control good?... and does the simple L/R input still work the Sub and center?... If I wired it L/R/F/R would that then use all four speakers if the L/R configuration doesn't? Thanks for all the great input.

I, too, have embark on this same journey. After looking at fkong thread i wanted the same setup minus the hd radio.
So far, ive bought the clarion EQ, sos aftermarket harness to stock amp and speakers. I also bought the hd tuner anyway, just in case i want radio.

This thread really help confirm how i will have to wire the eq to the sos harness. Also bought the 3.5mm jack to RCA to use ipod or phone..
Ive also look into this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPod-2-RCA-...Stereo-Charger-11-/110334729001#ht_1711wt_741

Or something similar for the ipod.. Less wiring.

Thanks for all the info. I think im set, this will work out for me.

Thanks for all the info. I think im set, this will work out for me.

That eBay cord won't work. Guys please note this: audio out from the headphone jack is variable. You can use the phones volume control. Audio out from the pin connector on the bottom is fixed. No volume control.

What EQ are you using and why?

Last edited:
From ths thread:
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107091

I know he uses an external amp and speakers. He also uses the clarion eq to power and volume ajustment.

I thought the concept is the same. In my case, no external amp or speakers. Just stock with sos harness.

He was able to run the hd tuner, his mp3 player, and his android phone for his setup.

I havent bought the ebay cord yet because i wasnt sure if it would work. I did, however, bought the 3.5mm jack to rca cable.

My thinking is i would wire up the EQ to the SOS harness. Run the remote wire from the EQ to the IGN so when the keys in turn to ON, it will power up the EQ.

Then connect the rca from 3.5mm jack to main rca port of the EQ.

Sos harness RCAs to front and rear RCA ports of the EQ.

Thats it. Well, atleast i hope thats it.

How did you "bridge" these channels? Is the volume good? What's your phone?

So are you not feeding the sub or the center then? Cigarette lighters are actually a terrible place for power I'm not surprised of the hum. Ground that and the radio at the same point.

Just splice them together, I would think. Haven't gotten around to doing this myself yet.

RYU: If there's too much noise try insatalling this.

http://www.uniqcycle.com/motorcycle-noise-filter.html

Here's more stuff that can be used for this type of installation.

Bluetooth

IPOD Charger

Volume adjuster

Wireless volume control

OK, so more questions. If I configure the way TURBO2GO instructed will I still have AM/FM radio from my stock head? Will I have to turn on my stock head and put it in the CD mode when I am using my iphone or ipod or am I to understand that the 12V input from the new harness bypasses all functions, inputs and power from the head?

OK, so more questions. If I configure the way TURBO2GO instructed will I still have AM/FM radio from my stock head? Will I have to turn on my stock head and put it in the CD mode when I am using my iphone or ipod or am I to understand that the 12V input from the new harness bypasses all functions, inputs and power from the head?

This is for removing the stock head unit completely.

Do not bridge two channels into one without using resistors or purpose built converter.

You are risking frying your phone or something in those amps.

Do not bridge two channels into one without using resistors or purpose built converter.

A small bridgeable amp is needed. Something like this which adds usb, sd card, and still keeps FM radio. But if that'S the case, I heard the oem radio doesn't weigh much and it'll be easier just to keep the radio installed with a grom or usa*spec aux, no?

Last edited:
A small bridgeable amp is needed. Something like this which adds usb, sd card, and still keeps FM radio. But if that'S the case, I heard the oem radio doesn't weigh much and it'll be easier just to keep the radio installed with a grom or usa*spec aux, no?

Yes. Unless you want the HU out of the picture... I don't feel the amount of work is worth it.

Grom... USA... tapping into the MBUS cable. You can go back to stock in minutes.

You guys are not really looking at the final form factor with some of these products. While I like that Clarion EQ, the volume knob is located between the subwoofer knob to its left and the Aux in button to its right. Is that a good way to adjust a commonly used thing? not really. Also Fkong777 is using an aftermarket amp and speakers, the sub out on the EQ has a non-defeatable crossover, you can't use it with the Bose system. You shouldn't use two crossovers in line.

You also shouldn't have to work through a bunch of connectors and wires everytime you get in the car.

My experience with Bluetooth also tells me to stay away from it if possible, as it is not 100% solid. Certainly not like a hardwire. Even if it fails 1 out of 50tries, that is too many IMO. Some devices work better together than others, but it's just not a real tight protocol and if I can I avoid it for something critical, I prefer to.

The FM transmitter is cheap, but it also sounds terrible. If you are going to modify this system, lets improve it not make it sound worse than it already is.

Moses, you can't use that amp, the speakers are already amplified. You can run an amp into another amp's inputs. You also can't buy that amp and run it into the Bose speakers directly, they will sound terrible as the amps are not just amps, they are fully EQ'ed. You also definitely cannot splice those wires together, that is not bridging. That will burn out the amp.

It bypasses the head unit alltogether.

Basically guys, the outline I had in my earlier post is the way to do it if you want to just have an aux input going directly to the amps. You'll need those few adapters, that will feed a mono signal to the center and to the subwoofer, and it will feed the left and right channels. It will also wake up the system when you play audio from your ipod, and shut it off when there is no signal present for a while. If you want it MORE solid and reliable, just wake up the bose amps when the car is on. Wire the blue SOS cable to the red ignition on instead of that adapter.

The USA spec is an "input" solution but at a $140 you are paying for shitty control of an ipod through the radio, not worth it IMO.

Let me search around a bit more, the Clarion EQ is a nice solution if you set its volume up high and then use the phone's internal volume. Thing is, where do you put it. I am traveling, can someone tell me the depth in the center console? The EQ is 4" deep plus wires. I suppose it can also go in the glovebox. You shouldn't use it's subwoofer outs, but the REAR outs and combine then into a mono signal with that edcor piece I posted earlier. I have to run now but let me think on this and post some more stuff tonight.

IF ANYONE IS CONFUSED, please ask questions no matter how dumb they seem, I want this thread to be helpful to everyone.

TURBO2GO, thanks for the clarification but can you answer the other question I asked?... I asked if I go with the configuration you recommended would the head still work for the AM/FM just like it always did before or will this configuration render the head a center console reminder of the way things use to be? Also, will the head have to be on and in the CD mode for the ipod/iphone aux in to work? If the answer to question number 1 is no then the answer to question number two is no by default. Thanks again for the input.

I did answer it for you in my last post. It bypasses the head unit alltogether. The radio is dead. You can leave it in or remove it.

If you want to keep the radio, you'll need to use the USA spec adaptor and use the aux-in until we find another solution. I get radio off my iPhone. That way if I'm using nav, the nav can override the music. I just don't really see the need for the stock radio other than that it keeps the look stock. It does put the volume knob in a convenient location I suppose.

@ TURBO2GO, OK, understood. I guess you are right and I'll probably go with a USA Spec. Do you know of any aux only adaptors that do not have the ipod/iphone input (RCA only)? Thank you for trying to answer all of my questions.

Not yet but that was Ryu's orIginal post on this thread. The radio does have an Aux input, it's simply used for the CD changer from the factory. The USA spec unit plugs into the cable normally coming from the changer and gives it the iPod signal. It also allows a rather archaic and limited control of the iPod from the factory radio through the Mbus wire in that cable. This product was designed more in the old school iPod days where you'd use it as a big hard drive to store more music than the CD changer.

Today it's a phone and not an iPod anymore, and the functionality is very different as it's doing a dozen other things like nav, pandora, telephone use. Etc. So you really need your phone to be handy and not in the trunk or glove box, and this is where manufacturers are behind the ball still. That's what makes a car stereo like the oxygen O'car so interesting and convenient in that it wires up and puts your phone within easy reach. It's an amazing and refreshing product compared to all kinds of goofy ways to try to "control" the phone from some dash mounted radio costing hundreds or even thousands.

NSX owners are hung up on the "look" of the big screen in their dash because that's what "modern" dashes look like, so there are many attempts here to make that double din large screen unit that looks pretty do either the things the phone does on its own or connect to and get its data from the phone. It's a backwards step if you ask me, makes things complex, and is quickly outdated because the phones evolve once every 6 months and the radios are constantly playing catch-up. Won't take much for your big investment to become outdated. The phone itself is the solution. I originally thought my iPhone 's screen would be too small for clear driving and use with things like nav or selecting radio stations, etc. After having used the oxygen o'car for a few months, I've realized that's not really true if the phone is placed in a correct proximity and angle which is what the O'car and O'dock do.

This company (oxygen) already has a competitor but their unit doesn't allow the phone to turn and be vertical or landscape mode, so it's not a good unit. Car stereo manufacturers probably see the writing on the wall but they are probably hesitant in making the shift as they no longer will sell $1000 double DINs anymore than car manufacturers sell $2000 built-in navigation units.

Problem is Kenny that the technology changes too fast now. The car's electronics can't adapt. That's why we see all these adapters and black boxes, add-on wireless devices, chargers, FM modulators, phone mounts, external Bluetooth devices, etc. An entire industry trying to make the archaic radio built into the dash keep up with what your phone does for the next 6 months.

We can certainly come up with a breakout cable that will give you an aux input like the USA spec does for $10, and that's what Ryu was trying to define here. We can also do something like what PoKnow has done in that his "aux in" is essentially wireless working through a bluetooth device feeding the cd changer input wire, wirelessly. But other issues do remain like... Where will the often used phone itself be located? Constantly looking down and away from the road is a bad and very inconvenient thing.

I try to be very aware or ergonomics. It was clear to me as I sat in the car that the radio location for example is a bad spot for my engine gauges. Too low. The nav pod area is where they belonged. Then I realized the nav pod location is really bad for any sort of radio control, as it's out of reach. I now carry my phone in the coin holder as my O'car radio is in my other car for now. I find that to be horribly inconvenient and rather dangerous especially after having the convenience of having my phone angled towards me within line of sight of the road and within EASY reach as it sits in the O'car (in my other car)... without a wire in sight or a cord hanging anywhere. Constantly charged. Fully integrated.

For the guys using the USA spec adaptor I have a question:

Does the unit allow the phone to function freely when plugged into the proprietary connector and not the RCA aux in? Or does that limit or lock the screen in any way?

For the guys using the USA spec adaptor I have a question:

Does the unit allow the phone to function freely when plugged into the proprietary connector and not the RCA aux in? Or does that limit or lock the screen in any way?

It depends on which CD you select on the headunit and also if the RCA input is enabled.

If the RCA is not enabled, you have the following:
CD1 will play the 1st playlist on the iPod (or the one named HONDA1 if it exists) - Screen locked
CD2 will play the 2nd playlist on the iPod (or the one named HONDA2 if it exists) - Screen locked
CD3 will play the 3rd playlist on the iPod (or the one named HONDA3 if it exists) - Screen locked
CD4 will play the 4th playlist on the iPod (or the one named HONDA4 if it exists) - Screen locked
CD5 will play all the songs on the iPod - Screen locked
CD6 will play whatever is selected on the iPod - screen is unlocked.

If the RCA is enabled, you have the following:
CD1 will play the 1st playlist on the iPod (or the one named HONDA1 if it exists) - Screen locked
CD2 will play the 2nd playlist on the iPod (or the one named HONDA2 if it exists) - Screen locked
CD3 will play the 3rd playlist on the iPod (or the one named HONDA3 if it exists) - Screen locked
CD4 will play all the songs on the iPod - Screen lockedCD5 will play all the songs on the iPod - Screen locked
CD5 will play whatever is selected on the iPod - screen is unlocked.
CD6 will play the RCA input

I really like the idea of the Oxygen O'car, but I would not use it in my NSX.

For the NSX I am looking forward to getting more information about the Oxygen O'dock. How does it connect to the existing radio?
I can not seem to find information about that on the web.

afterhead-factoryamp.jpg

Isn't the harness above bridging two channels?

We can certainly come up with a breakout cable that will give you an aux input like the USA spec does for $10, and that's what Ryu was trying to define here. We can also do something like what PoKnow has done in that his "aux in" is essentially wireless working through a bluetooth device feeding the cd changer input wire, wirelessly. But other issues do remain like... Where will the often used phone itself be located? Constantly looking down and away from the road is a bad and very inconvenient thing.

Like this?

http://www.amabilidade2002.com/audio53.htm

audiovse18poldinrca.jpg

Last edited:
If the RCA is not enabled, you have the following:

CD6 will play whatever is selected on the iPod - screen is unlocked.

This is the one I care about. So in order to unlock your iphone, you have to plug it in, turn on the radio, select CD, then go to #6 to get your iPhone or iPod to work.

It sounds like they tried to engineer some options for the radio to control an ipod that is out of reach. This is not an ideal solution. That's a lot of steps to just use your iphone to freely play. They are asking you to make playlists, then go through those playlists with the CD button. Then select a song. And you can't even get visual feedback. You guys put up with that?

I just read 8 pages on the GROM and USA spec adaptors... I like them even less now. Use your phone, I will work with Ryu and come up with an aux input adaptor. Forget these others. Half the people using those aren't using their radio functionality.

TURBO2GO asked me to post here.

I did this with an aftermarket amplifier, not factory. My iPod classic was connected to an aftermarket amplifier thru a minijack to RCA cable. Volume was controlled from the iPod.

The Bose headunit outputs at line level so it should be as easy as wiring some RCA connectors to the appropriate wires and then connecting the iPod to those RCAs. A gain booster could be required to get enough output volume though.

The wire harness on SOS for aftermarket head unit connecting to factory speakers should do the trick:

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/...d/ProFormance_Audiophile/stereo_wire_harness/

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Back