• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AUX Input for OEM Acura/Bose Radio

afterhead-factoryamp.jpg

Isn't the harness above bridging two channels?

No. The two wires in the RCA's are signal and ground. You can never "bridge" by just tying wires together you will always burn out something be it line level or speaker level.

How about installing this:

http://gromaudio.com/store/aux_adap...aux-in_mp3_bluetooth_ipod_iphone_adapter.html

with this:

http://gromaudio.com/store/bt_adapters/wireless-btd.html

And instead of plugging it into the back of the radio, just leave it unplugged.

Would that work? Would be the simples plug and play. Plug into factory harness, plug in bluetooth, install a radio delete center console and leave it in the area where the radio would have been.

?????????

That won't work without modification, the GROM unit gets its power from the back of the radio you can't leave it loose. We also don't really know what voltage comes OUT of the factory head unit going to the Bose amps. The Grom may come IN lower, and leave higher. It might be the same and work, we just don't know.

Yes, something like that. But it may not be that simple. Because all these voltages have to match. For example the output of an ipod may be 0-2 volts... and from the factory radio into the Bose amps it might be 0-5. Then you won't ever drive the Bose amps hard enough to get volume because it will just think it is looking at the radio, and the radio is saying 2V, so not too high. The phone is maxed out, but the Bose amp is thinking "go to medium loudness".

You see what I mean? I do not KNOW what the output voltage on the factory radio is. This is critical info. Most RCA's for home use and car use are in that 2-3 volt max range. But some car components are not. Being Bose, it may well not be because they can't do anything standard. I think someone did try making a cable like this and said the volume was too low.

This is not a deal breaker... if it is too low, if can be stepped up.

I am not sure what you are searching for Moses. I outlined a way to do this already for someone wanting to bypass the radio in the earlier post. That will work, at most you will need a line level amplifier to make the signal stronger.

How about installing this:

http://gromaudio.com/store/aux_adap...aux-in_mp3_bluetooth_ipod_iphone_adapter.html

with this:

http://gromaudio.com/store/bt_adapters/wireless-btd.html

And instead of plugging it into the back of the radio, just leave it unplugged.

Would that work? Would be the simples plug and play. Plug into factory harness, plug in bluetooth, install a radio delete center console and leave it in the area where the radio would have been.

?????????

Yes for those people who do not want to fuss around with removing the HU or taking it out of the picture. This is how you want to do it.

It gets it's power from the MBUS cable just like the CD changer. Make sure you order the HON92 cable.

With that device it looks like you have an option for two different inputs. 1 AUX.. 1 Bluetooth.

With this device... this should be the end of the thread.

Well, once i get all my parts in i will test and report back. I will let u know if i ran into any issue. Like low volume or extra noise, or worse, not work at all. In theory it should work. Then agsin with all the in and out voltage talk i have no freakin idea. Im just not techy enough.. But im curious, thats y i bought it. Oh well, we will see.

In any case i bought the parts already. Might as well put it to good use..if it doesnt work i can still use the parts on my other car.. No lost.

Last edited:
Here is a hand drawn diagram for those that want to remove the factory radio and have the iphone wake up the factory system (listed as an option). If someone with better skills can make this diagram it would be much appreciated. This will feed the factory subwoofer and center speaker as well as the left and right.

NSX-Aux-in.jpg

Last edited:
Yes for those people who do not want to fuss around with removing the HU or taking it out of the picture. This is how you want to do it.

It gets it's power from the MBUS cable just like the CD changer. Make sure you order the HON92 cable.

With that device it looks like you have an option for two different inputs. 1 AUX.. 1 Bluetooth.

With this device... this should be the end of the thread.

Yes, end of thread for those wanting to keep the factory radio. Lets be clear because it sounds like I said it won't work and you said it will. It won't work for removing the HU, it should work and is a good solution for keeping it. (much better than the USA Spec as it leaves the phone free and doesn't have HU controls). Can't guarantee the bluetooth option will be smooth, as it seems it has issues judging by the "condensed ipod" thread by Jett.

Either option kills the factory CD changer.

Well, once i get all my parts in i will test and report back. I will let u know if i ran into any issue. Like low volume or extra noise, or worse, not work at all. In theory it should work. Then agsin with all the in and out voltage talk i have no freakin idea. Im just not techy enough.. But im curious, thats y i bought it. Oh well, we will see.

In any case i bought the parts already. Might as well put it to good use..if it doesnt work i can still use the parts on my other car.. No lost.

What parts? what are you doing exactly?

PoKnow confirmed the voltage is fine so don't worry about that issue.

This is the one I care about. So in order to unlock your iphone, you have to plug it in, turn on the radio, select CD, then go to #6 to get your iPhone or iPod to work.

It sounds like they tried to engineer some options for the radio to control an ipod that is out of reach. This is not an ideal solution. That's a lot of steps to just use your iphone to freely play. They are asking you to make playlists, then go through those playlists with the CD button. Then select a song. And you can't even get visual feedback. You guys put up with that?

I just read 8 pages on the GROM and USA spec adaptors... I like them even less now. Use your phone, I will work with Ryu and come up with an aux input adaptor. Forget these others. Half the people using those aren't using their radio functionality.

This is not as bad as you make it sound.
No matter what you use, you will have to plug in the iPhone/iPod.
The head unit remembers that it is on CD and that it is on, so you only have to do that once.
But, it (USA SPEC) does default to playing all song, so if you want to control the device you have to change to CD6.

So in reality it is:
Plug in the iPhone/iPod and change to CD 6.
Play what you want by controlling the iPhone/iPod

That isn't so bad.

You also don't have to create playlists. If you don't create any, then they just default to all songs.

It is done

alright guys. my setup is done. to ME, i'm happy with the result. here are the pictures of during install. no final install yet because my console are getting worked on. But this is to show that it WORK as i thought it would. i am pleased with the result.. no more oe HU. I don't listen to radio so this work just fine for me.. i use the ipod all the time.. this will work with any mp3 player that uses the standard 3.5mm headphone jack.
on to the picture.. i trying to upload a small vid to my youtube account..when that is uploaded, i post post it up.

parts i use. Missing the 3.5mm jack to RCA cable.. but u will see it below when install. cable look very high quality and solid build.
Minus the HD radio for now. Once i get my console back, I might install the HD radio..for now, no HD radio.. just everything else.
EQCUSTOMRADIOPARTS.jpg

this show the EQ power up.
EQPowerUp.jpg

these are installed pics, wiring and what not.
EQinstall3.jpg

EQinstall4.jpg

EQinstall5.jpg

EQinstall6.jpg

as it stand right now
EQinstall2.jpg

sounds quality is good enough for me.. plenty of volume.. eq works, i can adjust to my liking. How will i charge the ipod? i already got one of the cig. charger.. plus the ipod i will take inside the house when not in use.. plug it in inside the house.. i don't get to drive the nsx much, so it's not a problem for me at all.

VIDEO.
short but you get the point.. point is, the eq CAN control volume, ipod CAN control volume, tracks..etc ..so yeah.
http://youtu.be/ofghIrYoTZ8
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ofghIrYoTZ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
^^ I had a similar setup before using the iPod. Nice work! Might I suggest a small mod to think about. You will get a cleaner signal out of the line-level output from your iPod vs. using the 1/8" earphone output. You can also use a line-level volume control if your EQ doesn't already have one (didn't look that closely).

$0.02.

By the way.. for the gentleman who mentioned that bridging the earphone output from my phone and the potential to toast the amp in my phone... it's been working like that for many years and on other cars. Most cars have a L/R/F/R 4 channel setup. All phones are only 2 channels so w/o a crossover you're forced to bridge if going the cheap route like I did. The lower resistance (ohms) bridging causes seems to be fine for my phones. I thought of your concern at first and since my phones were still under warranty I gave it a try. Been working fine every since. YMMV

Now if only I can get some free time to work on the NSX again!

Also... for the guys thinking of getting rid of their OEM radio, with apps like Pandora, iHeartRadio (radio stations), podcasts... there's really no need for a standard AM/FM/CD player anymore.

The only limitation is your ability to obtain good enough data bandwidth in your area.

^^ I had a similar setup before using the iPod. Nice work! Might I suggest a small mod to think about. You will get a cleaner signal out of the line-level output from your iPod vs. using the 1/8" earphone output. You can also use a line-level volume control if your EQ doesn't already have one (didn't look that closely).

i will look into that for future preference. Thanks
for now, i'm happy with it.. so simple too.

i posted the line-level ouput picture before and someone told me it's fixed.. meaning u can't control volume from it, so that's where the line level vol control come in correct?..
the line level ouput can charge the ipod at the sametime as it seems.. later on i will tinker with it..

Last edited:
i will look into that for future preference. Thanks
for now, i'm happy with it.. so simple too.
Just trying to help.

You can also see in that connector a place to tap into 12v ACC. That power source will also charge your iPod. It just makes it convenient.

Too bad I now hate most things Apple. :redface:

I use to play video out of my iPod into my 7" screen as well. It was easy.

thank you for the help.
i've never been a fan of apple that much either, but this ipod was dirt cheap.. good for exercise, which was y i got it in the first place.. now i rarely use it.. it was hooked up to the GROM audio adapter to use before.

The line out on the 30 pin connector of the iphone mated with an external volume control is NOT as good as simply using he headphone jack. If you use the fixed out and your amp has a built-in volume circuit usually that is a different story... but it is a myth that the phone jack on this particular device is worse than the line out. In most electronic devices this held true because of the headphone amplifier's poor electronics, but this is no longer the case in many devices. Volume out of the headphone out is controlled in the digital domain, whereas your external device is analog and more prone to introduce its own noise.

BTW, that diagram I had above does not need to be that elaborate as I have now found out the Bose amp has a built in crossover and it sums signals mono. I am going to have to redo it.

nevermind. I had to re-read it. Was reading too fast and missed the point.

Last edited:
The line out on the 30 pin connector of the iphone mated with an external volume control is NOT as good as simply using he headphone jack. If you use the fixed out and your amp has a built-in volume circuit usually that is a different story... but it is a myth that the phone jack on this particular device is worse than the line out. In most electronic devices this held true because of the headphone amplifier's poor electronics, but this is no longer the case in many devices. Volume out of the headphone out is controlled in the digital domain, whereas your external device is analog and more prone to introduce its own noise.

BTW, that diagram I had above does not need to be that elaborate as I have now found out the Bose amp has a built in crossover and it sums signals mono. I am going to have to redo it.
^^ He's likely more up-to-date than I am. I'd listen to him :smile:

^^ He's likely more up-to-date than I am. I'd listen to him :smile:

In his case the best sound will happen when the Bose amp sees the voltage it likes to see for volume. This will take some playing around with. Under-driving those amps will cause more noise. The EQ has a 7 volt output, pretty high. It has a built-in line driver. So it is taking a low voltage-in from the phone and really amplifying it. If that amplification before signal goes to the Bose amps it too low, he will get noise... and if its too high, distortion. Set the EQ/AMP first.... then leave that alone, then use the phone for volume. This is more important than the minute difference in sound quality between the bottom line out and the top headphone out at the same levels.

If the Bose amps and Clarion EQ had perfectly matched levels already, then Ryu's point would apply more but here, we are making two devices work together that don't know each other. Having the EQ have such a wide range from 0-7 volts is a good thing, allowing you to get a real good match so the Bose amp likes it.

Last edited:
Sounds good. For now I did a slight adjustment on the EQ. I plan on using the ipod to control volume. Since I will be changing track thru it anyway. Im supprised it work the way it did. Just hope it will last.

Sounds good. For now I did a slight adjustment on the EQ. I plan on using the ipod to control volume. Since I will be changing track thru it anyway. Im supprised it work the way it did. Just hope it will last.

Why wouldn't it last?

Since I dont really know how it all work together. Too technical with voltage this and that. Dont want to fry the bose amps. I akready had those repaired once. Dont want to do it again.
But from what you saud, I should be set for good. Right??

Since I dont really know how it all work together. Too technical with voltage this and that. Dont want to fry the bose amps. I akready had those repaired once. Dont want to do it again.
But from what you saud, I should be set for good. Right??

We are talking about line voltage at the RCA plugs, not too much voltage is in for powering the units or anything. You will be fine. You'll hear a lot of distortion if the levels are too high first before you damage anything.

Turn the volume all the way up on your phone. Plug it in, turn the EQ gain up slowly until you feel you are as loud as the system can go cleanly, then turn it down just a hair. Leave the EQ volume there. You should be fairly well adjusted there, then start using the phone. I wouldn't constantly fiddle with the EQ's output.

Back