• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

BBS LM's (18/17) or ProDrive White GC06 (17/17)

Mike,

Which model Advans are on your Legend? T5's?

I like the 18/19" combo you have on your NSX, are those Model 5's? Like I said in one of your threads, I'll buy those off you if you want to get rid of them.

But otherwise I kinda have my heart set on a set of BBS LM's or possibily a set of white 18/19" Volk TE37's.

rk

Rick,

I have Model 5's on the Legend and on the NSX. Sorry, I don't intend to sell the Model 5's anytime soon.

Good luck.

Mike

I’m trying to successfully run a 18 / 18 tire setup on my 2004 NSX and main goal is to keep the rear profile LOW and balanced for the car.

Stock OEM Rear setup is: 17x9, +56 sitting on a 255/40/17 tire

According to TireRack.com, their +1 fitment suggests:
18x9, +42 rear rim sitting on a 265/35/18 tire but I disagree since I think it’s too “thick)

My calculations:

1” = 25.4 mm

255/40/17 OEM tire = 255*0.4 = 102mm patch

265/35/18 tire = 265*.35 = 92.75mm patch (too thick)

I did some calculations for each of these tire sizes and it “seems” my best choice would be a 245/35? What do you guys think?

a) 245/35/18 = 85.75mm patch
b) 255/35/18 = 89.25mm patch
c) 255/30/18 = 76.50mm patch
d) 265/30/18= 79.50mm patch

Oh I forgot my new rim is a 18x9, +42 so thinking I will want to run a 5mm spacer so a 245/35 tire should be a pretty good fit giving a slight stretched look? My car is slammed pretty low and I do not want any rubbing with the fender lining, etc. I have about 3 degrees of negative camber in rear.

P.S. My front will be a 18x8, +35 running a 215/35/18 which I think is a pretty standard / safe fitment for the NSX?

Thanks
Rick

Well I got my 18/18 setup on the car earlier tonight. Front wheels look 100% perfect mint. The offset is ideal and the 18x8" front wheel really fills the wheel well perfectly. It's on a +35 offset and a 215/35/18 tire. I love it and imagined it just the way it sits now :)

Rears I really wanted a 19x9.5 but had to settle for a 18x9, +42 rim for now. I took the rear rim off about 10 times trying various spacers. If I just use the +42 offset mounted to the oem hub, it's WAY too mild for my taste as it has almost the same tuck as oem na2 rims which is a big nono in my book. The 18x9, +42 sitting on a 255/35 tire needs a lot more offset. I tried the 5mm which made virtually no difference so I then tested a 10mm, 15mm and finally happy with the 25mm H/R integral spacer. So effectively I'm running a +17mm rear offset! :eek: I guess the 9" wide rim allows this crazy low offset. Normally a 9.5" or 10" rim would require a +30 to +35 range.

I'm going to get it out of my garage to take some pictures of it but the verdict is still out......you guys be the judge tomorrow.

I have a feeling I may be on the phone ordering the custom made 19x9.5" LM's tomorrow....yikes

rk

I’m trying to successfully run a 18 / 18 tire setup on my 2004 NSX and main goal is to keep the rear profile LOW and balanced for the car.

Stock OEM Rear setup is: 17x9, +56 sitting on a 255/40/17 tire

According to TireRack.com, their +1 fitment suggests:
18x9, +42 rear rim sitting on a 265/35/18 tire but I disagree since I think it’s too “thick)

My calculations:

1” = 25.4 mm

255/40/17 OEM tire = 255*0.4 = 102mm patch

265/35/18 tire = 265*.35 = 92.75mm patch (too thick)

I did some calculations for each of these tire sizes and it “seems” my best choice would be a 245/35? What do you guys think?

a) 245/35/18 = 85.75mm patch
b) 255/35/18 = 89.25mm patch
c) 255/30/18 = 76.50mm patch
d) 265/30/18= 79.50mm patch

Oh I forgot my new rim is a 18x9, +42 so thinking I will want to run a 5mm spacer so a 245/35 tire should be a pretty good fit giving a slight stretched look? My car is slammed pretty low and I do not want any rubbing with the fender lining, etc. I have about 3 degrees of negative camber in rear.

P.S. My front will be a 18x8, +35 running a 215/35/18 which I think is a pretty standard / safe fitment for the NSX?

Thanks
Rick

Rick, TireRack was right in recommending that size for a +1 application. They are basing it off of actual sizing, not a specific look. The tire sizes you list will fit on the rim but they do not adhere to the typical definition of +1 sizing (increasing the diameter of the rim by 1", while maintaining the same overall wheel diameter) and most of them are outside or at best, at the limit of the manufacturer's recommended wheel width.

Keep in mind that one of the keys to wheel sizing on our cars is keeping the ratio of wheel sizes the same, front to rear. Not doing so will cause the TCS to activate (though I believe I might have read somewhere that later cars such as yours are more tolerant to diversions from spec).

You're playing with sizing of tires that are too narrow for the rim and too short for the TCS, just to achieve a look. Nothing wrong with that, but just keep in mind the workings of the car, not just the look. You want to drive the thing, don't you? :confused: I don't know if the tire sizes you listed will have a negative effect on the TCS or not (the faster you go, the more it'll be likely).

Good luck

J

thanks James, perhaps you can tell me if this looks alright in the stance?

The setup right now you see is

18x8, +35 up front sitting on a 215/25/18 tire, NO SPACERS

18x9, +42 rear sitting on a 255/35/18 tire, +25mm H/R Integral spacer

The rear sits REALLY flush with the fender but no rubbing whatsoever which amazed me since that means I'm running a +17mm offset in the rear on the back rim at 9" width!!!

The rear tire looks kinda "thick" to me....what do you guys think???

P.S. I'm looking for optimum look without sacrificing driving / handling of course!

rk

IMG_4537.jpg

MY LORD .... :eek:

why BBS's got to look so perfect on NSX's ... is so strange ... If Honda sold with this set up their sales could be a LOT BETTER

Oscar

Last edited:
I think your tire sizes won't affect TCS. If it does, it'll be at higher speeds only. 255 is an appropriate tire for your 9" rear. Smaller, and you start to get into "stretched" fitments IMHO (I think that's what you're after, no?). As for looks, it's okay... but I will say that I had to move to 19's in the rear when I was running 18/18 because the tires seemed to look like mud-whompers and the rims seemed to look like 15"s. No thanks to a couple "friends" who kept telling me that they couldn't tell which way my car was pointing because I had "front" rims on both ends. :biggrin:

Your picture does not look as exaggerated as mine did. People have told me it's because of the style of rim I have.

J

IMO your car is one of the best here, but I am not feeling the red lug nuts or center cap. I personally think the wheels would look better in a darker finish on the outer rim, perhaps matching the color of the spokes and darker lugs/center cap.

Last edited:
I think your tire sizes won't affect TCS. If it does, it'll be at higher speeds only. 255 is an appropriate tire for your 9" rear. Smaller, and you start to get into "stretched" fitments IMHO (I think that's what you're after, no?). As for looks, it's okay... but I will say that I had to move to 19's in the rear when I was running 18/18 because the tires seemed to look like mud-whompers and the rims seemed to look like 15"s. No thanks to a couple "friends" who kept telling me that they couldn't tell which way my car was pointing because I had "front" rims on both ends. :biggrin:

Your picture does not look as exaggerated as mine did. People have told me it's because of the style of rim I have.

J

James,

I think I know what you mean by the term “mud-whompers” it’s quite a unique choice of words but I know what you are talking about! (what rims did you have in 18’s and later swapped to 19’s? Do you have a b4 and after picture and let me know what tire sizing/offsets you were using)

The tire size fitment along with off-set is perfect right now with no evidence of rubbing and I just got back from testing during lunch. Took some bumpy roads, long highway sweepers at 40mph+ and even some quick lane changes. I listened closely for any rubbing and later checked the fender well ~nothing so I’m a happy camper.

Originally I was toying with going to a 265/30 tire but I’m afraid the width might be too much thus now I’m debating trying a 245/35 or maybe a 255/30 tire.

I have both these sizes at home so figured it’s a free swap to test the look. I do want a thin tire with a slight stretch so I think the 245/35 might work out nicely.

According to my calculations the sidewall on the rear right now is:

255/35 = 89.25mm

Thus:
245/35 = 85.75mm
255/30 = 76.50mm

Going to a 19x9.5” rear is the EASY solution but so far no one has a pair for sale anywhere and to buy a new set from Japan will cost me upwards of $2500+ for two rims ~talk about ouchy….

Rk

Rick,

I had 18" Volk GT-Cs in the rear and I replaced them with 19" Volk GT-Cs. The fronts were and still are 18"s.

When I had 18/18 I used 225/35 (on 8") front and 275/35 (on 10") rear.

Rears are now 265/19 on 9.5" and for me, it is already a little to narrow for my taste. My next set of rear tires will be 275/30.

If you really want the low sidewalls for the rear but want to keep the TCS happy, I'd recommend just getting 19"s for the rear. I don't know how far off you can go before TCS will complain.

J

wow so much drama over a set of wheels......lol

I think they look great Rick but I have always said BBS LMs look great on the NSX.

Anyway I predict another thread from you soon about changing these wheels for some other ones. I hope your pursuit for perfection will be rewarded.

Going to a 19x9.5” rear is the EASY solution but so far no one has a pair for sale anywhere and to buy a new set from Japan will cost me upwards of $2500+ for two rims ~talk about ouchy….

Rk

Rick, you are not going to be satisfied until you get a set of 19's for the rear. There is no way you will be happy rolling with 18's all the way around. Sorry to be so straight forward, but I feel an intervention is knocking at your door :wink::biggrin:

wow so much drama over a set of wheels......lol

I think they look great Rick but I have always said BBS LMs look great on the NSX.

Anyway I predict another thread from you soon about changing these wheels for some other ones. I hope your pursuit for perfection will be rewarded.

I'll put money on Rogers prediction for being right :biggrin::biggrin:

As a side note... can you predict the winning lottery numbers??? :biggrin:

Mike

Rick,

I had 18" Volk GT-Cs in the rear and I replaced them with 19" Volk GT-Cs. The fronts were and still are 18"s.

When I had 18/18 I used 225/35 (on 8") front and 275/35 (on 10") rear.

Rears are now 265/19 on 9.5" and for me, it is already a little to narrow for my taste. My next set of rear tires will be 275/30.

If you really want the low sidewalls for the rear but want to keep the TCS happy, I'd recommend just getting 19"s for the rear. I don't know how far off you can go before TCS will complain.

J
Ha! Finally 19s on the rear!:tongue:
Steve

James,

I think I know what you mean by the term “mud-whompers” it’s quite a unique choice of words but I know what you are talking about! (what rims did you have in 18’s and later swapped to 19’s? Do you have a b4 and after picture and let me know what tire sizing/offsets you were using)

The tire size fitment along with off-set is perfect right now with no evidence of rubbing and I just got back from testing during lunch. Took some bumpy roads, long highway sweepers at 40mph+ and even some quick lane changes. I listened closely for any rubbing and later checked the fender well ~nothing so I’m a happy camper.

Originally I was toying with going to a 265/30 tire but I’m afraid the width might be too much thus now I’m debating trying a 245/35 or maybe a 255/30 tire.

I have both these sizes at home so figured it’s a free swap to test the look. I do want a thin tire with a slight stretch so I think the 245/35 might work out nicely.

According to my calculations the sidewall on the rear right now is:

255/35 = 89.25mm

Thus:
245/35 = 85.75mm
255/30 = 76.50mm

Rk

with all the mods you've done and can afford, i doubt getting a brand new set of BBS LMs in 19s for the rear would be a problem. c'mon now, you ain't foolin' nobody, lol.

LOL you guys are funny - c'mon in this economy we all have to think twice about spending a year's worth of gas on 2 metal parts.....hahaha!

Seriously I had hoped this thread would help everyone looking for rims as the offsets and sizing really is useful info. I have learnd so much about offsets and other measurements between the nsx and my s2000.

The best part is that wheels are interchangeable between the two cars. My backup plan is to just move this 18/18 combo to my s2000 and pick up a 18/19 setup for my nsx. So nothing goes to waste :)

Debating LM-R or LM's for my next setup but you guys are right I will be changing soon enuff.....damn

rk

LOL you guys are funny - c'mon in this economy we all have to think twice about spending a year's worth of gas on 2 metal parts.....hahaha!

Seriously I had hoped this thread would help everyone looking for rims as the offsets and sizing really is useful info. I have learnd so much about offsets and other measurements between the nsx and my s2000.

The best part is that wheels are interchangeable between the two cars. My backup plan is to just move this 18/18 combo to my s2000 and pick up a 18/19 setup for my nsx. So nothing goes to waste :)

Debating LM-R or LM's for my next setup but you guys are right I will be changing soon enuff.....damn

rk

Your my Hero :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

MY LORD .... :eek:

why BBS's got to look so perfect on NSX's ... is so strange ... If Honda sold with this set up their sales could be a LOT BETTER

Oscar
LM's look perfect on anything. It's a proven fact.

TTLambo said:
IMO your car is one of the best here, but I am not feeling the red lug nuts or center cap.
No way man. Red BBS caps and red BBS lug nuts are choice.

LM's look perfect on anything. It's a proven fact.

No way man. Red BBS caps and red BBS lug nuts are choice.

thanks man....Just wish I had 19" rears *sigh!

I love your car and your bbs wheels.

In my opinion your car would look better if it were slightly higher. I think the tires so close to your fenders (particularly in the rear) makes the wheel / tire look too small at 5:00 and 8:00 where the fender opens up.

Again, your car is one of my favorites and i've been watching your progress! do you have coilovers where you can just put the perches a litter higher.

Getting the height just right on the nsx and the stance is not easy... it took me more then one try. Here is a picture of mine. Perhaps you think it is too high, let me know what you think. click on picture for larger

Attachments

• stance.jpg
    stance.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 360
I love your car and your bbs wheels.

In my opinion your car would look better if it were slightly higher. I think the tires so close to your fenders (particularly in the rear) makes the wheel / tire look too small at 5:00 and 8:00 where the fender opens up.

Again, your car is one of my favorites and i've been watching your progress! do you have coilovers where you can just put the perches a litter higher.

Getting the height just right on the nsx and the stance is not easy... it took me more then one try. Here is a picture of mine. Perhaps you think it is too high, let me know what you think. click on picture for larger

thanks for the kind words!

What size are your rim specs, tires, etc?

What you said is interesting, never thought about raising my car up since I had it corner balanced when I had my 18/19 GTV combo. The car sits on Tien Flex so I have infinite adjustment in terms of height but I'm pretty happy with how it sits right now. I just think I need a 19" rim to fill out the wheel well a bit better.

Your car looks sharp man - socal has so many nice NSX's and I always remember yours :)

rk

here's a better shot of the fronts, the 215/35 tire is thin and really fits nicely under the front fender at this height. It's the rear that bugs me a bit. I'll give it some time and see if it grows on me....

IMG_4538.jpg

Last edited:
rick, as per your question on my specs....

volk ce28 in titanium gunmetal

front 17*8 (hipad (special curved spokes)-- for brembo indy) +38 215/40/17

Rear 18*9.5 (Non- hipad (normal curved spokes) not needed for rear indy) +40 265 /18

lowered via comptech pro (koni 8011 race shock)

no spacers.. both fit perfectly flush with fenders.

on my 05 silverstone with stock brakes / wheels had to go h&r 25mm rear and 15mm front for fitment with stock springs / bilsteins on lower perch (rear on this car with lower perch is about .25" too high but wheels / tires are perfectly placed in the fenders.

Last edited:
I agree with socalx, the car looks too dumped. Its fine on other cars but not on the NSX. I really see it in the rear. Play with the perches and get the back end up maybe 1/2". The tires will look less plump. Fronts not too bad, maybe 1/4" more up.

Otherwise, sick choice in wheels and colour. LMs always ftw.

BTW whats up with you guys and Volk GTVs, everyone's buying and selling them off asap. :rolleyes:

Back