• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"best" iphone portable speaker unit?

folks,

i'd like to refresh / upgrade my iphone portable speaker system (primarily for backyard usage) and would appreciate your experience-based suggestions on the "latest and greatest" products / what you'd buy if you were in the market today.

thx in advance.
hal

I got the Jawbone Jambox, it is an amazing piece of engineering for something that small. It is not cheap but worth the money. Bluetooth and battery operated. It also act as a speaker phone.

I got the Jawbone Jambox, it is an amazing piece of engineering for something that small. It is not cheap but worth the money. Bluetooth and battery operated. It also act as a speaker phone.
thx for the heads-up, vance, i'll check it out!

You can sample them in Verizon or ATT store.

Last edited:
Not really on target to the conversation, but fun tidbit of information that I found out. If you need a quick iPhone speaker system, put the iphone in a glass. Even a plastic solo cup will work, but the best setup seems to be those jumbo beer pilsner glasses as the shape really disperses the sound.

Discovered this trick last night at the bar when their sound system went out.

011110-cupspeaker1-kristen.jpg

(photo from google)

Not really on target to the conversation, but fun tidbit of information that I found out. If you need a quick iPhone speaker system, put the iphone in a glass. Even a plastic solo cup will work, but the best setup seems to be those jumbo beer pilsner glasses as the shape really disperses the sound.

Discovered this trick last night at the bar when their sound system went out.

011110-cupspeaker1-kristen.jpg

(photo from google)
i made a similar discovery last week when i was driving my yukon home from oregon and the ipod/stereo connection wasn't working very well. i placed the iphone down in to the console well and it worked much as the glass did. when i saw your post, i tried it with a variety of heavy glasses in our kitchen and found the quality variance "interesting".

thx for the fun post :)

fwiw, after researching the interweb and visiting a number of retail stores, i bought the bose sounddock 10. it was nearly impossible to get an in-store test of anything - b&w zeppelin, polk, bose (except @ the bose store) - either they didn't have them out for test drives or the staff couldn't get them to work properly.

i ended up @ the bose store and tested the sounddock 10 against the sounddock II and felt there was little comparison for my use so went with the 10. on the 10 i'd like to see a better interface w/the remote/iphone manipulation, but it works fine for our needs.

thx again for the feedback, much appreciated.

I have the Bose Sound dock and the connection became lose and they wouldn't fix it. It does have a great sound! So be careful when you pull the phone off it. While it may look sturdy, little off angle force and do some damage.

I have the Bose Sound dock and the connection became lose and they wouldn't fix it. It does have a great sound! So be careful when you pull the phone off it. While it may look sturdy, little off angle force and do some damage.
are you talking about the sounddock II or the 10? i had the same problem on my original sounddock a few years in to using it so i just took it apart and reset the connections; those fixes held until the speaker began giving up the ghost this past year.

thx for the heads-up, much appreciated.

Back