• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

best place for a suit!

Got a wedding to go to at the end of the month and trying to find a good spot for a quality made suit. The wedding's in noon and the reception to follow will be at 5pm. Any advice, suggestions, or recommendations? I'd appreciate all the feedback. Thanks in advance!! :cool:

:confused::confused:

Some Haggar stores and outlets have tailors on site. I don't know how much you're looking to spend, but my buddy got one from the local outlet hemmed in the appropriate places with belt and tie for $300.

Depends on price, I like to go to Nordstom's or Bloomingdales for some higher end stuff.

yellow pages:confused:

If you are looking for a decent, affordable suit go to Men's Warehouse. If you need something more high end, go to a local specialty botique. However, the key is in the tailoring. From a guy who has worn a $300 suit to a $5,000 suit, the biggest determining factor on how good the suit will look is in the tailoring; the way it is cut for your body. Also, if a suit is tailored correctly, it won't feel like a suit at all. If you think a suit needs to feel heavy, stiff or stuffy, then you need your suit tailored. A good tailor is worth spending money regardless the cost of the suit.

Goodwill. I just dumped a few old suits in the bin a few weeks ago. Someone is going to get a nice Hugo Boss for $15.00. :biggrin:

Goodwill. I just dumped a few old suits in the bin a few weeks ago. Someone is going to get a nice Hugo Boss for $15.00. :biggrin:

What's the address? I'll just take it to a good tailor.:biggrin:

I usually go to the Outlet mall to the Jones New York store. They do a good job with tailoring the fit and the prices are good for name brands.

I have a wedding this Saturday and will be dusting one of mine off.

Like a few others have said, if you're buying a suit from most places, you should def. get a tailor. If you're looking for a slim-cut suit and there's an H&M around you, I'd go there. For $200 you can find a nice suit that fits you perfectly, no tailor needed.

If you are looking for a decent, affordable suit go to Men's Warehouse. If you need something more high end, go to a local specialty botique. However, the key is in the tailoring. From a guy who has worn a $300 suit to a $5,000 suit, the biggest determining factor on how good the suit will look is in the tailoring; the way it is cut for your body. Also, if a suit is tailored correctly, it won't feel like a suit at all. If you think a suit needs to feel heavy, stiff or stuffy, then you need your suit tailored. A good tailor is worth spending money regardless the cost of the suit.

Agreed. You can't put a price on a suit that fits correctly. It makes all the difference between a good looking suit or a poor looking suit.

I find it extremely annoying that when I buy a suit from an American designer, the jacket is so full I have to have it tailored extensively. You leave yourself at the mercy of the tailor.

Italian suits, on the other hand - the jackets fit right off the hanger. :wink:

Ive had excellent luck with Bachrach over the past 10 years. Nice Italian made suits with free lifetime tailoring. However they have closed many of the stores and do mostly mail order now. Its hard to buy suits via the mail.

So, if they have a store near you, check them out.

Agreed. You can't put a price on a suit that fits correctly. It makes all the difference between a good looking suit or a poor looking suit.

I find it extremely annoying that when I buy a suit from an American designer, the jacket is so full I have to have it tailored extensively. You leave yourself at the mercy of the tailor.

Italian suits, on the other hand - the jackets fit right off the hanger. :wink:

I agree as well. I'm gonna go to Nordstroms this weekend to try some on. H&M might also be a place I'll stop by and check out. Didn't know they sell suits.

I don't know if any of you guys have seen the movie "21"...but the main actor was wearing a suit in it which I can't seem to make out as to what kind, but the styling is incredible. I believe it might of been a Prada suit.

road-trip...

I noticed that you're in SoCal', so Desert Hills Premium Outlets aren't too off. These outlets actually have some high-fashion designer shops/boutiques, not just the ubiquitous mainstream ones. I've had relatively good experiences there in the past. However, it can be hit-or-miss; a lot of it is timing. . .

Ex.

Giorgio Armani, Burberry, DKNY, Prada, Gucci, Brooks Brothers, Calvin Klein, Hugo Boss, Dolce & Gabbana, Jones New York, Ralph Lauren, Saks 5th Ave' (Off Saks), Ermenegildo Zegna, Barneys New York, Kenneth Cole, Salvatore Ferragamo, etc')

"What do you have? Chalmers Big and Tall Shop. It’s a 7 store chain in the Pacific Northwest. Great stuff. Unfortunately it does us no good HERE."

First, you have to know what style/cut/fabric fits your body. That means going to a department store that has many different brands/styles you can choose from to begin with. Tell the salesperson you want slim/relax, etc style you have in mind. NEVER trust the salesperson that certain thing looks "great" on you just because they thought so...bring a friend (better be female) to get you an "out". You'll be surprised that what you thought would look good on you might not be as nice. This step is to narrow the brand/style that fits you.

Once you have the one or two brand and the style you like, then you can really go shopping. A great suit is a perfect combination of fabric, cut/style and craftsmanship. Being in SoCal, you should get a light wool suit that is versatile that you can wear it again and again.

As other mentioned, having your suit tailored is the key. You want people to notice “you” look great, not “your suit” looks great. It should hug your body without being too tight.

Enjoy the experience finding that “perfect” suit, it’ll be a fun one. :wink:

I have two suits from Men's Warehouse I got for cheap (200 each or 300 for two, regular price 399 each) and one suit from Bill Walker Clothier that was expensive (1200). There are a few reasons the more expensive suit is superior. First, the suit fits better because the tailor there is not even called a tailer, he's called a "haberdasher". He is a professional, drives a nice car, and plays golf with his 'clients' often. Not your average guy at JCP. The second reason is the suit can be worn comfortably in all temperatures, even Houston heat (obviously this applies to the specific suit moreso then in general). Lastly, it is made out of better materials and lasts 2-3 times longer then the cheaper Men's Warehouse suits.

If this is just for special occasions, get a cheap suit and don't worry about it. I like a charcoal grey for an all arounder.

First, you have to know what style/cut/fabric fits your body. That means going to a department store that has many different brands/styles you can choose from to begin with. Tell the salesperson you want slim/relax, etc style you have in mind. NEVER trust the salesperson that certain thing looks "great" on you just because they thought so...bring a friend (better be female) to get you an "out". You'll be surprised that what you thought would look good on you might not be as nice. This step is to narrow the brand/style that fits you.

Once you have the one or two brand and the style you like, then you can really go shopping. A great suit is a perfect combination of fabric, cut/style and craftsmanship. Being in SoCal, you should get a light wool suit that is versatile that you can wear it again and again.

As other mentioned, having your suit tailored is the key. You want people to notice “you” look great, not “your suit” looks great. It should hug your body without being too tight.

Enjoy the experience finding that “perfect” suit, it’ll be a fun one. :wink:

It sure is a fun experience I can say. Trying to look good has never been so fun, imo. Hahaha :biggrin: But I think you're right about coming in a store with an idea of what you'd want. For me, however, it's HUGO BOSS, Calvin Klein, or Sean Jean.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2934365/0~2376777~2374609~6015291~6015324?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6015324&P=1

I've been looking around for something similar to the link above. Although, being that it's a summer affair, maybe something lighter in color would suit the occasion.

http://www.menswearhouse.com/menswe...owsePath=1408474395564688&bmUID=1218608589589

:cool:

btw, being that I'm in socal, I'm not trying to look for anything TOO HIGH END. Except maybe HUGO BOSS...I was contemplating on South Coast Plaza, Bloomingdales, or Nordstroms, but Men's Wearhouse is where I'll head to first.

Last edited:
Here's a good tailor...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fKHWzzqC83s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fKHWzzqC83s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

For a wedding this style would be the most appropriate.
img_10.jpg

If you are looking for a decent, affordable suit go to Men's Warehouse.

I second both Men's Wearhouse & 3 Day suit brokers. Nordstroms is great, but for the relative suit Noob, I'd expect better one on one at Men's Wearhouse.

Striker:- All advice in those posts is valid- I just wanted to throw one bit in-

At Mens Warehouse they will sell you everything you need- and some stuff that you don't need if you aren't careful. Anytime I go in there, I get the same feeling I get at a car dealership- I feel like they are out to gross me.

btw, being that I'm in socal, I'm not trying to look for anything TOO HIGH END. Except maybe HUGO BOSS...I was contemplating on South Coast Plaza, Bloomingdales, or Nordstroms, but Men's Wearhouse is where I'll head to first.

If you go there to buy a suit- buy a suit! Save shopping for shirts, cuff links, belts ect for the outlet stores.

just my .02

Phil

Last edited:
If you go there to buy a suit- buy a suit! Save shopping for shirts, cuff links, belts ect for the outlet stores.

just my .02

Phil

I agree with you fully. :smile: I found a lot of nicer looking shirts, ties, cufflinks, etc. at other department stores and outlets. I think I'm just gonna head there for the suit like you said. It'd be nice to get all the stuff I need at one place, but I get the same feeling too as I am walking into a "suit dealership."

The wedding's at 12 noon and the reception is at 5pm later that day so... Is it best to wear something light or black would suffice?

Back