• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best place, good price front brake discs 1991 NSX

I'd like 1st hand experience for replacement front brake discs for a street driven NSX.
A link would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Based on my past research for track rotors (for my S2000), people seem to like the black coated Centric rotors. RockAuto has them for the NSX for $61 apiece in the front, I put them on my NSX and they've done a good job of rotor-ing so far.

The hat and internal vanes are coated so they won't rust, I found that at the track this coating burns off rather quickly and turns white. Not a big deal, just don't be alarmed if the coating is burning off after the first session :).

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/acura,1991,nsx,3.0l+v6,1000843,brake+&+wheel+hub,rotor,1896

Tom, I have had these Centric Sportstop rotors from SOS for over 5 years now, and they are working well.
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...pads/power-slot-slotted-brake-rotors-958.html

I have a weakness for how drilled rotors look. Some say they're more susceptible to cracking, these are chamfered which is said to minimize that. I'm not tracking them, just street driving, and they're holding up fine. They're a decent amount cheaper than oem, too.

Tom, I have had these Centric Sportstop rotors from SOS for over 5 years now, and they are working well.
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...pads/power-slot-slotted-brake-rotors-958.html

I have a weakness for how drilled rotors look. Some say they're more susceptible to cracking, these are chamfered which is said to minimize that. I'm not tracking them, just street driving, and they're holding up fine. They're a decent amount cheaper than oem, too.
We are in sync! Thanks!

I just replaced my '93 nsx OEM rotors with stoptech slotted rotors and went with HP+ pads and they are terrible there was no bite on the stopping very slow grab, I have bleed the system and no change. I since have changed to pfc ceramic pads and it a little bit better but not totally satisfied. Any suggestions?

I just replaced my '93 nsx OEM rotors with stoptech slotted rotors and went with HP+ pads and they are terrible there was no bite on the stopping very slow grab, I have bleed the system and no change. I since have changed to pfc ceramic pads and it a little bit better but not totally satisfied. Any suggestions?

Couple of observations:

1) I believe the Stoptech rotors are shipped with a rust-inhibitor. Per Stoptech this must be washed with soap and water before the rotors are installed. Not doing so can damage the rotors and pads and prevent the brakes from performing properly.
2) Sounds like the HP+ pads (and maybe the PFC pads) were not bedded in properly and likely glazed.

I'd look at Carbotech, either the 1521 or AX6. The AX6 will produce a little more dust which can be a PITA if you have silver or white wheels. Pull your rotors, wash them with soap and water using a Scotch-Brite pad.

FWIW: here is Stoptech's bed-in procedure.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-s...s/stoptech-sport-brake-pad-bed-in-suggestions

Last edited:
I didn't read anywhere to wash the raptors prior to install? I have followed the breaking sequence to bed in the pads per stoptech instructions. Thanks for the advice.

I've used the HP+ before and they're garbage. I had the same experience, basically zero bite regardless of how hot they were. A friend of mine had them in his E30 and they were so bad he couldn't get ABS to engage unless the road was wet.

I don't know if I'd go with Carbotechs for a street car, I've had experience with them dusting, squeaking, etc. I keep two sets of rotors, one for the street and one for the track (If you're going to the track). Not surprisingly, I've found that good quality street pads (Autozone Gold, Raybestos, etc) do really well on the street, and good track pads (I like Porterfield) do best on the track.

All rotors ship with a rust inhibitor (oil), which you're supposed to spray off with brake cleaner before you install. Might foul the pads if you didn't spray it off, but you could probably get most of the oil off by spraying them with brake cleaner or getting the pads hot (or both) . If you put new pads on and spray the rotors off you should be fine.

Thanks

Back