• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best sports car under $50,000?

good stuff out there...

The NSX is obviously the best. What's the second best?

New or used, doesn't matter.

If you could pick 1 daily driver sports car (other than the NSX), under $50,000, what would you pick?
A "high" mileage '06-'07 Aston Martin V8 Vantage coupe is ~$50k (or slightly less; colour-combo dictates pricing as well), offering good balance of comfort/luxury & performance/handling.

The Porsche Cayman S for ~$50k or less offers great handling & an enjoyable driving experience.

And the C6 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 is likely the best bang-for-the-buck w/ regards to performance at a particular price-point, and they aren't too shabby in the looks dept.

Wildcards include BMW Z4 M Roadster, Cadillac XLR-V, and may be Jaguar XK-R...

Those would be my top-3 potentials (and alternatives), if I was in the marketplace for a sports-car sidekick to my NSX. With that said, I am in the market for a sporty coupe/sedan & I have the following in my radar: '07+ MB CLS63-Designo, '09+ Acura RL-Tech, '06+ Audi S6 (along w/ AM V8 Vantage, Audi S5, BMW 1-series M Coupe).

Last edited:
I have the RS6....awesome ride. You can't beat it for the price...mid $20s

There is no question to me. RS4, as I daily drive one now. Heck, at $50k it could even be supercharged. Winter rims and tires, done.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "best." I have thought a lot about this question and I think I would probably select a 996 C4S. Not sayin' there aren't faster cars for under $50K, but for me, it's important that the car has the "right amount of power" for what I want it to do. The 911 turbo, for example, would be too much car for a daily driver. Not sure why I care about having "too much" power... but ... there you have it.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "best." I have thought a lot about this question and I think I would probably select a 996 C4S. Not sayin' there aren't faster cars for under $50K, but for me, it's important that the car has the "right amount of power" for what I want it to do. The 911 turbo, for example, would be too much car for a daily driver. Not sure why I care about having "too much" power... but ... there you have it.

'Best' is definitively subjective. Some people want raw performance. Some people want a feel. Some people want reliability/cost of ownership/resale.
Just depends.
For me, most important is the cost of ownership. I don't want something that's going to depreciate 50% in 2 years.
Second is feel. By feel, I mean the subjective 'cool' factor. Is it rare, is it somewhat exotic, does it look wicked. Do you see 100 of them everyday or no.
Third is performance.

Nissan GTR or Audi R8 if you wait a couple of years and save a bit

I like this idea a lot.
I wonder what time will tell as far as cost of ownership with these two?
Outside of the initial cost, can take a GTR or R8 from 40,000 miles to 140,000 miles without taking out a second mortgage?

Nissan GTR or Audi R8 if you wait a couple of years and save a bit

Neither of which is in the $50k's, not even the $60k's - clean R8 V8's are around $75-80k, for $90-95k you can get a V10, provided you shop around. GTR, I've no idea, I've never cared to be honest.

I've been looking for an NSX replacement in the $60k's, part of the basis for my earlier response. The OP technically wanted an option under $50k. Stretching $50k to $50-60k, to $60k+ is why we're car enthusiasts ;)

The problem with this type of question is the sportscar landscape is about to get crushed in the next two years. New viper, new NSX, new GTR, updated R8, discontinued Gallardo, new F-Cars, etc. etc. etc. I wouldn't buy a thing right now, unless it was with the knowledge it will probably get replaced in two years with something cooler.

OP gotta define what's "best."

For me, it gotta be rare, unique, and everytime I look, sit in it, or drive it, I will feel that special tingling feeling. Therefore, NSX.

Second runner up might be a slightly tuned E39 M5 (HUGE FANBOY, owned 3, but I HATED the natural feeding habitat for this monster...aka gas station). Corvette C2 or C3? (wouldn't drive it daily though if it's in mint condition.) Lotus Esprit.

Off topic but I'm actually surprised there's not much talk on the new viper that thing seems to be a beast and it looks amazing

Daily driving a car worth more than 10k is a bad idea IMHO

wtf are you serious? what's the point of a nice job if you cant enjoy the fruits of your labor? Thats what insurance is for. FWIW i daily my NSX (i've got maybe 130k into it by now), my rs6 ($90k when new with upgrades), FGT (yeah a lil pricey) and even my restored 1975 landcruiser...which probably has at least $35k into it..

wtf are you serious? what's the point of a nice job if you cant enjoy the fruits of your labor? Thats what insurance is for. FWIW i daily my NSX (i've got maybe 130k into it by now), my rs6 ($90k when new with upgrades), FGT (yeah a lil pricey) and even my restored 1975 landcruiser...which probably has at least $35k into it..
.....yes but you're a drug dealer:tongue:....btw I'm surprised there is no mention of the 370Z.

OP gotta define what's "best."
+1! inevitably these lists end up becoming a sales pitch on what we want.

In my case the best sports car was something that was fun to drive, won't get me too many traffic tickets, cheap to maintain, and got great gas mileage. A GT-R would kill me and i'm not even talking about the purchase price.

Back